Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: San Soo

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by ZhenShanRen View Post
    what a moron
    the only moron on this thread is YOU if you think that Jimmy (no my REAL name is Chan) "Woo" is one of the three most influential martial artists in the 20th century.

Do you really think he was more influential than

Kano
    Funakoshi
    Mas Oyama
    Wu Bin
    Xia Bahua
    Choi Hong Hee
    Yong Shul Choi
    Jon Blumming

If so, PUT DOWN THE CRACK PIPE

and futhermore......

Jimmy told people that "Woo" is pronounced "Chan" in Cantonese uh, NO.... Woo is in fact "Nhg"....

Jimmy liked to tell people he was a direct descendent of Chan Heung and was actually teaching Choy Lay Fut..... yeah, and I'm president of Afghanistan

Jimmy was in fact a student of Ed Parker, he did KENPO. There are tons of pics of him in white karate gi doing Kenpo but suddenly he "remembered" that in fact he did kung fu
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

The person who had a business relationship, and possibly a student - teacher relationship, with Mr. Ed Parker was James Wing Woo (Jimmy W. Woo); not Jimmy H. Woo. (Historical fact.) If anyone cares to, you can always google it.

Surritt Bros. Kung-Fu San Soo
    P.O. Box 4533
    Salem, OR
    97302-8533
    (503) 508-1117

Would a guy named "san soo sifu" have a vested interest in keeping Jimmy Woo's reputation?

http://www.redshift.com/~mjacobi/j-woo.gif

isn't that your sifu? with a karate uniform on? With a black belt that says "Karate" on it?

why did his first school have on the window "Karate Kenpo Sudio"? (I know people who were around back then)

tell us, where is the "Kwan Yin temple"?

As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

blah blah blah.... blah blah blah blah ...

i thought i said peace. Can't you be civilized. Chill out man.

what are you trying so hard to sell? the other posting was correct. it was jimmy wing woo that studied under parker. I know Jimmy was arrogant and challenged and beat up a lot of people but don;t take it out on me man, or the whole san soo community. The man was messed up from everything he went through what the Japanese and then later the Communists did to his family and country. My wife is Chinese from Indonesia and she talked about the hororrs of what the Japanese did to the people of Indonesia as well as the rest of asia. China was especially horrible.

His real name was Chan siu dek. and i don't claim to know him. but there are hundreds that have verified what he talked about but if you only believe what you see with your own two eyes then that's your problem.

Jimmy wore a karate gi because we do a lot of throwing, grabbing, grappling and so forth and the mandarin tops tore apart too easily. The karate tops actually emulate the monks robes more so then the mandarins as well. In addition in 1958 no one knew what Kung fu was so Jimmy did what most people did and called his organization "Jimmy H. Woo Karate Studios." Then in a few years he changed it to "Karate Kung Fu." Then later Kung Fu San Soo. I'm sure he could have called it anything as he spoke several different dialects of chinese as well as english and spanish.

The original name of the art that he inherited was called Choy Li Ho Fut Hung. A lot of poeple including san soo people are confused about the history but it is clear that Chan Hung came from that village. However the art the chan family practiced, mentioned above, was practiced before Chan Hung was alive. There are numerous historic references of other temples and clans practicing the so called "Southern Family Arts" ling before the Chan family was around as well.

San Soo on the other hand has a history in Taizu San Soo, or First Emperor San Soo, which was developed by the First Emperor of the Song Dynasty. It was practiced at a temple that was dedicated to him called "Lin Guangyin." This is the confusion by some that Jimmy said guan yin temple, as in the boddhisatva.

He developed his own style and lineage, choy li fut. However the Choy Li Ho Fut Hung art manuals were passed to Jimmy after the invading japanese army killed Woo's entire village and family in Canton. He fled china and came to america to live with relatives in LA chinatown.

BTW all those men you mentioned were very influential. It was actually not me that said that about jimmy but Black Belt magazine. Year after year in the early days jimmy barked out challenges at the long beach gatherings as well as other places where hundreds of masters were and he would day, "My Kung Fu is real Kung Fu for the street. Anyone that wants to challenge me can come up right now, my life or yours." This was the standard challenge from the old country. Few if any came. remeber he was well into his forties when he did this. Everyone had thier chance.

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    the only moron on this thread is YOU if you think that Jimmy (no my REAL name is Chan) "Woo" is one of the three most influential martial artists in the 20th century.

Do you really think he was more influential than

Kano
    Funakoshi
    Mas Oyama
    Wu Bin
    Xia Bahua
    Choi Hong Hee
    Yong Shul Choi
    Jon Blumming

If so, PUT DOWN THE CRACK PIPE

and futhermore......

Jimmy told people that "Woo" is pronounced "Chan" in Cantonese uh, NO.... Woo is in fact "Nhg"....

Jimmy liked to tell people he was a direct descendent of Chan Heung and was actually teaching Choy Lay Fut..... yeah, and I'm president of Afghanistan

Jimmy was in fact a student of Ed Parker, he did KENPO. There are tons of pics of him in white karate gi doing Kenpo but suddenly he "remembered" that in fact he did kung fu

The man was messed up from everything he went through what the Japanese and then later the Communists did to his family and country.
    Been there, done that, have the t-shirt..... read some of the Chan Tai San thread. It isn't about that......

but there are hundreds that have verified what he talked about
    "verified"?

Verified his relationship to Chan Heung? NO
    Verified his lineage in Choy Lay Fut? NO
    Verified he existance of a "Kwan Yin temple"? NO

Much of what he claimed has not only never been verified, it seems down right questionable.

Jimmy wore a karate gi because we do a lot of throwing, grabbing, grappling and so forth and the mandarin tops tore apart too easily. The karate tops actually emulate the monks robes more so then the mandarins as well.
    1. You don't think Ark Wong, Lau Bun et al were doing grabbing, grappling and throwing?

2. Resporting to the "Shaolin Do" excuse (they look like old style mandarin robes) hardly increases your credibility!

Even if the uniform was a "practical" choice, it still doesn't explain why the characters on his belt read "Ken Po Kara Te"?

In addition in 1958 no one knew what Kung fu was so Jimmy did what most people did and called his organization "Jimmy H. Woo Karate Studios."
    REfer back to Ark Wong, Lau Bun et al.... who didn't ever call what they did "Karate"

Again, in 1963 the school was called "Karate Kenpo Studio".... Kenpo was hardly a common word in those days, why did you use THAT WORD?

The original name of the art that he inherited was called Choy Li Ho Fut Hung.
    Don't you think it's strange that no one outside of Jimmy and his students have ever heard of this style?

San Soo on the other hand has a history in Taizu San Soo, or First Emperor San Soo, which was developed by the First Emperor of the Song Dynasty. It was practiced at a temple that was dedicated to him called "Lin Guangyin." This is the confusion by some that Jimmy said guan yin temple, as in the boddhisatva.
    posting stuff like this is just embarassing, please learn some Chinese history and some Chinese language so you can realize how silly you sound

He developed his own style and lineage, choy li fut.
    HE did what? Let's look at that again!

He developed his own style and lineage, choy li fut.
    Sure he did.....

San Soo message board

I just wanted to let you know that there is San Soo (specific) message board at the following URL link:

http://www.americansansoo.com/Forum/index.php

You will have to register first, if you want to post. Of course, you can always lurk as a guest.

If you are not a former, current, or possibly near future, practitioner of Kung-Fu San Soo; you may find the message board somewhat boring because of its focus only on San Soo related topics.

Thank you for your time!

Surritt Bros. Kung-Fu San Soo
    P.O. Box 4533
    Salem, OR
    97302-8533
    (503) 508-1117

Smile Jimmy Woo, San Soo

Hello , I thought I might tell you that I meet Jimmy Woo when he came to GM.Ark Wong's store ,This was in the early 60's I think. Jimmy took us to lunch and we had a nice visit. He invited us to his new school's Grand opening in El Monte Ca. Of course master Wong accepted. He had a lot of people there and as I remember he gave a very spirited demo. He had some students to help him. Master Wong seemed to like the demo. When Jimmy came to the store Master Wong took several pictures of the group, I think I still have one of the 3 of us together. Since there was two Jimmy Woo's When ever we talked about we would separate them by where their schools were. Jimmy Woo El Monte and Jimmy Woo No. Hollywood, of Ed Parker fame.

FWIW. Sifu Jim

you must have a lot of time on your hands mr or mrs. I don't know cause you wine like a woman.

Let me point out you, that my family is chinese, i have dozens of friends that are from mainland china, one in particular that was the "National Wushu Champion", regional Shuai Jiao champion and was the Dean of Martial arts in Changchun years ago before moving to America. He had learned things from nearly 100 styles across china since he was young.

Anyway we had talked about the destruction of the history of some of the most effective arts, while some of the weakest arts survive simply because of their historical records have survived. When we spoke of the choy li fut and the choy li ho fut hung/ san soo (he pronounced san siu) he stated very clearly that they were not the same art. Choy li fut started with Chan Hung.

And by the way the Lin Guangyin temple was real and was recently unearthed next to a housing project in China. Google it.

Anyway, you do not credit yourself well when you value finding a pedigree chart more important than its effectiveness. That's what i do respect about much of the modern MMA scene is that they don't want to argue about what temple what came from, because in reality it doesn't matter. What matters is how effective it is. An old Chinese saying calls people that pontificate about gongfu like armchair quarterbacks, "Emroidered hands and brocade feet."

The entire LA chinatown community urged Jimmy to demo every year at the New Year festival until he was too old to do it. They did that out of respect, of which i can see none here. And every year he would say the same thing becasue he hated seeing some claim to be Kung Fu masters but were so ineffective they gave kung fu a bad name. He said, "I'm a real Kung Fu Master. My Kung fu is the only Kung Fu made for real street self defense. Anyone that wants to challenge me can come up here right now. My life or yours." He would point into the crowd of people every single year, year after year and no one came up.

Every master in town had thier chance from every school and art, to prove thier art, to prove thier lineage through the real test, match fighting. They didn't take the challenge. Why? I don't know. He wasn't indestructable. He just believed in being real.

And you my friend, are completely unreal.

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    Been there, done that, have the t-shirt..... read some of the Chan Tai San thread. It isn't about that......

"verified"?

Verified his relationship to Chan Heung? NO
    Verified his lineage in Choy Lay Fut? NO
    Verified he existance of a "Kwan Yin temple"? NO

Much of what he claimed has not only never been verified, it seems down right questionable.

1. You don't think Ark Wong, Lau Bun et al were doing grabbing, grappling and throwing?

2. Resporting to the "Shaolin Do" excuse (they look like old style mandarin robes) hardly increases your credibility!

Even if the uniform was a "practical" choice, it still doesn't explain why the characters on his belt read "Ken Po Kara Te"?

REfer back to Ark Wong, Lau Bun et al.... who didn't ever call what they did "Karate"

Again, in 1963 the school was called "Karate Kenpo Studio".... Kenpo was hardly a common word in those days, why did you use THAT WORD?

Don't you think it's strange that no one outside of Jimmy and his students have ever heard of this style?

posting stuff like this is just embarassing, please learn some Chinese history and some Chinese language so you can realize how silly you sound

HE did what? Let's look at that again!

Sure he did.....

Thumbs down

Let me point out you, that my family is chinese,
    Ah, the old "I am Chinese so you must respect me" argument?

i have dozens of friends that are from mainland china, one in particular that was the "National Wushu Champion",
    Everybody claism they were a champion "back home"... care to cite a NAME?

And assuming he was in fact a champion, in WUSHU, ie modern wushu as taught in China, that makes him a performer, hardly a martial arts expert....

Again, other than your un named friends, who has ever heard of "choy li ho fut hung"

An old Chinese saying calls people that pontificate about gongfu like armchair quarterbacks, "Emroidered hands and brocade feet."
    **** you're lazy, it isn't hard to figure out who I am, if you think I'm a pretty forms person, man you are WAY OFF....

The entire LA chinatown community urged Jimmy to demo every year at the New Year festival until he was too old to do it. They did that out of respect, of which i can see none here.
    What is there to "respect" here? A guy with a kenpo background who claims he does kung fu (while wearing a karate uniform and a black belt with teh words "Kenpo Karate" on it! Notice you didn't address this issue? hmmmmm)

A "history" that sounds very suspicious and can not be verified

A claim to a style no one has ever heard of

And a ridiculous claim he is one of the three most influential martial artitsts in the 20th century.

And you my friend, are completely unreal.
    If that dillusion helps you sleep at night

That's what i do respect about much of the modern MMA scene is that they don't want to argue about what temple what came from, because in reality it doesn't matter. What matters is how effective it is.
    Every San Soo person I have ever talked to said they didn't train full contact because their stuff was to dangerous to train this way.

Is this the case with all San Soo, or do some San Soo schools train full contact?

If it is the former, then the effectivenss level will be nill across the board.

cjurakpt Guest
    hey Dave, check this out (from a San Soo Website):

http://www.sonorasansoo.com/sss_main.html

(it doesn't link directly, you have to got to the "San Soo" option in the main menu and then click on lineage - they also have a tree with Sifu on it)

Chan Tai Shan
    We include the late Chan Tai Shan because he was:

1) A practitioner who included Chan Siu Hung's son, Chan Sai Mo, and cousin to Chan Siu Dek, in his own training lineage
    2) A tough American practitioner who taught in New York City Chinatown
    3) Held by Chinese martial arts historians and the Chinese government, and noted in Inside Kung Fu Magazine, to be one of China's "National Treasures"

Nothing would thrill us more than to see Losifu Chan Siu Dek one day also honored in this way, serving to further legitimize his family art, our art, Kung Fu San Soo.

Chris,

I don't know if you remember, but after Jimmy Woo passed away we were flooded by requests from San Soo people to get sifu Chan to "approve their ranks" and recognize them as Choy Lay Fut people. It's one of the reasons why I am so familiar with the particulars of this group

Chan Sai Mo is alive and well in Guangdong. I don't remember if Mike met him last trip or was going to meet with him next trip. It'll be hysterical to ask him about his so called "cousin" Jimmy Woo

I love how for YEARS they never "remembered" this link but now suddenly "TA DA", look, we're Choy Lay Fut people

In a side, amusing note; Chan Sai Mo's father is Chan SAI Hung, not Chan "siu" Hung..... I know because that's who sifu named me after, ie it's MY NAME

Quote Originally Posted by cjurakpt View Post
    hey Dave, check this out (from a San Soo Website):

http://www.sonorasansoo.com/sss_main.html

(it doesn't link directly, you have to got to the "San Soo" option in the main menu and then click on lineage - they also have a tree with Sifu on it)

Chan Tai Shan
    We include the late Chan Tai Shan because he was:

1) A practitioner who included Chan Siu Hung's son, Chan Sai Mo, and cousin to Chan Siu Dek, in his own training lineage
    2) A tough American practitioner who taught in New York City Chinatown
    3) Held by Chinese martial arts historians and the Chinese government, and noted in Inside Kung Fu Magazine, to be one of China's "National Treasures"

Nothing would thrill us more than to see Losifu Chan Siu Dek one day also honored in this way, serving to further legitimize his family art, our art, Kung Fu San Soo.

or this...check out the last 3 paragraphs...of the 1st post.
    http://www.americansansoo.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=18
    Last edited by jit fu; 06-14-2007 at 12:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jit fu View Post
    or this...check out the last 3 paragraphs...of the 1st post.
    http://www.americansansoo.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=18
    you mean.....

"Kung-Fu San Soo (Tsoi Li Hoi Fut Hung Kung-Fu San Soo) is far, far superior to modern day Choy Lee Fut. Modern day Choy Lee Fut is nothing more than people dancing & prancing around doing forms, thinking they know how to fight, when in actuality, the Chinese "Si Gung" hasn't let them into his "inner circle" or "inner chamber" of trusted students (and he probably never will); ERGO (therefore), they haven't been shown real hand to hand combat (and probably never will).

Tsoi Li Hoi Fut Hung Kung-Fu San Soo teaches real hand to hand combat from day one. Modern day Choy Lee Fut teaches pretty forms to win trophies at worthless kung-fu tournaments"

more reason for people to "love" Jimmy's special kids