Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: A Good Answer???

The strength of MMA is in that it exposes you to so many fighting tempers and styles, and pairs you up with people who have different strengths. The weakness in TCMA (if you don't look around outside of your school), is that you only ever practice or expect to counter/encounter all the techniques in your arsenal, delivered with your particular emphasis and principles, etc. In effect, you fight clones of yourself.

The reason the MMA fighter would dominate, is that he won't expect as much coming in, because he knows a punch can come in at every angle, and doesn't have to protect a centerline for the sake of the centerline. A kick can be used multitudes of ways, and doesn't always use the same striking surface. But as soon as you're engaged, he can generally predict your temper, striking method, and weakness, b/c he's exposed to so many stylisms, he has to be able to do this in order to keep up to tempo in his art.

The good thing about a quality TCMA guy is he knows his body better, and generally has no doubt as to what to do in certain situations, and can execute quickly and effectively. The bad thing about a quality TCMA guy, is if you get him out of his comfort zone (ground, certain ranges, etc.), he's treading unknown waters and pretty much is making it up as he goes along b/c he's so stuck in his preconceived notions as to what it is he should be doing. He'll wind up stumbling over himself.

One of the hallmarks of a long lasting style is its adaptability 'on the fly' when the unknown does happen upon the fighter. If the underlying principles of any attack can be countered effectively, regardless of whether you have seen a specific attack before or not.

how about because mma events aren't anything more than mma events.

ie: why would you play badminton at a volleyball tournament?

mma is what it is and it ain't kungfu.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post

ie: why would you play badminton at a volleyball tournament?
    Because badminton is only a 7 on the gay scale.

Volleyball is like a 9.

Or didn't you see Top Gun?

Quote Originally Posted by RonH View Post
    One of the hallmarks of a long lasting style is its adaptability 'on the fly' when the unknown does happen upon the fighter. If the underlying principles of any attack can be countered effectively, regardless of whether you have seen a specific attack before or not.
    But the principles of kungfu single out certain attacks as inefficient, and therefore cut them out of usage. Strangely enough, I see many of these in regular usage during MMA bouts. If you cut them out of usage, you won't see them coming at you from your classmates.

Because a technique doesn't seem to fit in with a system or style, it doesn't make it inefficient. It means that it doesn't fit in. CMA guys say...the method of power generation is weak. You really want to do such and such, change the angle, etc. But if you don't have that kind of freedom of waist and leg motion, you've got to be able to pack power in your punch with good ol' Irish grit and sinew. But really, all strikes should fit into every system, because you're fighting.

That is, if you want to do more than just dance....

top gun was a totally gay movie. I mean on a scale of 1-10 top gun = 11 on the gay scale.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

David Jamieson sez

"mma is what it is and it ain't kungfu."
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Fer sure

joy chaudhuri

mma is what it is and it ain't kungfu.
    MMA is not BJJ, wrestling, or Muay Thai either... doesn't stop them from being used efficiently in that enviroment, though.

MMA may not be kung fu, but it allows it to be used.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    Because badminton is only a 7 on the gay scale.
    Volleyball is like a 9.
    Or didn't you see Top Gun?
    Seeing chicks in bikinis and butt shorts makes volleyball games worth watching. If you like dudes, there's the well toned and buff guys with their shirts off.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    But the principles of kungfu single out certain attacks as inefficient, and therefore cut them out of usage.
    I would say possibly some styles, but not all.

[quote]Because a technique doesn't seem to fit in with a system or style, it doesn't make it inefficient. It means that it doesn't fit in. CMA guys say...the method of power generation is weak.[quote]

As an internalist, I'd say all purely external arts don't have as much power as they could have, to be more accurate and specific about the weakness.

You really want to do such and such, change the angle, etc. But if you don't have that kind of freedom of waist and leg motion, you've got to be able to pack power in your punch with good ol' Irish grit and sinew.
    There are many places that you can get power from that don't use legs or the waist. It won't be as powerful a strike, but you don't always need brick and mortar bursting power to get a one up on the other guy. Striking with the shoulder or a head butt are good options.

But really, all strikes should fit into every system, because you're fighting.
    Exactly. If you can't do it, there's something wrong. It may not be something that the student does and it wouldn't necessarily mean that that student is an idiot. 'Doing something wrong', in the sense I'm using it, is free of any condescension and mockery. If you grab one item off a table by accident, as you pass by and you really meant to grab what was next to it, that doesn't mean you're an idiot.

That is, if you want to do more than just dance....
    True, but I've found that if you really need to conserve your energy, as you deflect multiple attacks in quick succession, you should treat the fighting as mostly a dance. It's less about ending the fight then and there (especially when attacked by a mob) and more about redirecting/neutralizing incoming attacks with very little effort on your part. It sometimes comes off as the martial art version of ballet. Just a tiny tiny brush or a very light slap on the incoming limb to move it the inch or less to get it out of the path that it's in, which is the one that's gonna make contact with you.

After that, it's a multitasking approach involving deflections with your arms and upper body, while you do femoral kicks and knee strikes/ letting gravity pull your body down, as you step on the side of the knee and press inward/outward a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    MMA is not BJJ, wrestling, or Muay Thai either... doesn't stop them from being used efficiently in that enviroment, though.

MMA may not be kung fu, but it allows it to be used.
    who's mma? please define what mma is beyond mixed martial arts?

if i study tkd and wrestling, I am a mma-ist

If I study karate and boxing I am an mmaist.

by definition of the very term.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by RonH View Post
    True, but I've found that if you really need to conserve your energy, as you deflect multiple attacks in quick succession, you should treat the fighting as mostly a dance. It's less about ending the fight then and there (especially when attacked by a mob) and more about redirecting/neutralizing incoming attacks with very little effort on your part. It sometimes comes off as the martial art version of ballet. Just a tiny tiny brush or a very light slap on the incoming limb to move it the inch or less to get it out of the path that it's in, which is the one that's gonna make contact with you.

After that, it's a multitasking approach involving deflections with your arms and upper body, while you do femoral kicks and knee strikes/ letting gravity pull your body down, as you step on the side of the knee and press inward/outward a little.
    LOL... Ron, you should post of clip of you doing this full contact against resisting opponents.

who's mma? please define what mma is beyond mixed martial arts?

if i study tkd and wrestling, I am a mma-ist

If I study karate and boxing I am an mmaist.

by definition of the very term.
    I was speaking of MMA venues. This thread was about CMA being used in MMA competitions, I believe.

MMA is first and formost a competitive venue where any type of martial art can be used.

With the popularity of MMA competitions, "MMA training" has become a buzzword to mean a variety of things.

As a label, "MMA event" is relatively useful.

"MMA training" is less useful as a label.
    Last edited by Knifefighter; 09-02-2007 at 09:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    I was speaking of MMA venues. This thread was about CMA being used in MMA competitions, I believe.
    then you're not talking about mma, you're talking about venues. which do not define what mma is.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

then you're not talking about mma, you're talking about venues. which do not define what mma is.
    Come on DJ, you know what he's talking about......

Relying on only the 'tried and true' of fighting?