Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: A Good Answer???

Doing whatever it takes to win, with whatever you can make work.

Or, in other words:

Not this
    l
    l
    l
    V

Quote Originally Posted by RonH View Post
    as you deflect multiple attacks in quick succession, you should treat the fighting as mostly a dance. It's less about ending the fight then and there... It sometimes comes off as the martial art version of ballet. Just a tiny tiny brush or a very light slap on the incoming limb to move it the inch or less to get it out of the path that it's in, which is the one that's gonna make contact with you..

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    Or, in other words:

Not this
    l
    l
    l
    V
    Okay, so you advocate huge, needlessly spent energy consuming moves when fighting off multiple attackers (and I don't mean if you've got the opportunity to run). You also advocate you need to treat each incoming limb, as if it was a wrecking ball because there's just no way you could ever knock off course an incoming limb or stick or bo or sword or nunchuck or halberd etc. etc. with just a tiny bit of effort because there's just no need to move it just a tiny bit off course, so it doesn't hit you. You're advocating knocking that sucker, like line drive out to center field and going into the stands where there's no way the outfield guys could even hope to catch that thing, unless they've got a jet pack.

Sure, I'd love to see that done by any external artist for any extended period of time where they have no rest between each incoming attack. You've got a better chance of doing that if you're a Navy Seal than a lot of martial artists or MMA people.

Do as much damage as you can, while you can. The thing about defense is, no matter how good you are, you're going to get hit sooner or later. And if you're fending off multiple attackers, if you get hit once, it's game over. Especially if you're playing a game of inches. One of the benefits of external MA is that you have good conditioning, b/c it's part of your training, and you get used to taking hits, so you can bear them better. And if you really rock your blocks with your forearms, you can damage their arms with your defense, and add that element of offense to your defensive maneuvers.

Anything is better than remaining the calm center of your own universe, because it's not your universe.

Better by far to divide and conquer, if you have no choice. I mean viciously. Barrel into one, use everything, elbow, knee, kick, bite, spit, punch, grab, choke, rake, claw, and destroy. Then use that one as a shield. Go for the weakest one, so long as he's not the expendable guy in the group. Me, I'm going for the skinny one, b/c I know I can bowl him over no prob with a shoulder tackle, then stomp on him and lessen the odds. It is, in fact, end the fight as quick as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by RonH View Post
    Sure, I'd love to see that done by any external artist for any extended period of time where they have no rest between each incoming attack. You've got a better chance of doing that if you're a Navy Seal than a lot of martial artists or MMA people.
    Ron- what I'd love to see is you doing any of the things you advocate against a halfway skilled, resisting opponent. Please post a clip or two.

Quote Originally Posted by bodhitree View Post
    People train martial arts for a variety of reasons. Perhaps the TMA communities attract people whose reasons do not include fighting competatively or to fight competatively in an MMA venue?

That is why I train. I train for health reasons. I like the internal aspects of it. I like the philosiphy. I like the history. I like the physical fitness gained from it as well as the flexibility that will help me in my later years.

Although I must admit, I do compete. I do it to test myself more so than trying to prove I can beat the crap out of someone. I know I can beat the crap out of someone. I can use my AR15 and take out someone from 300yds. Can an MMA guy defend against that? Can anyone from any other style? Training for ring fighting is fine, but you are confined in a predictable conventional arena. It may give you an edge, but you will not be able to COMPLETELY defend against the unpredictability of the streets. Such as what happened during the VA sniper incident. Columbine. Rodney King riots in L.A. Various armed assualts that goes on in major cities. Carjackings.

I have said before, MA have not evolved with the times. The weapons remained the same. Arms bars and chokes are fine, but what if the guy you are choking out has a friend stabbing you in the back? Or after you choke him out, will come back later and shoot you when you are not looking. Better yet have 10 of his buddies jump ya. Not gonna happen? How can you guarantee that?
    Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.