Quote Originally Posted by horserider View Post
I think Mr. Wayfaring you do not see Mr Hendrik point.
Hendrik can make it difficult to see his point.

You may study wing chun but fight like a boxer . You may be a great fighter but you are not a wing chun fighter. Why spend time with wing chun if you do not use wing chun to fight?
That is an important question.

To be a wing chun person that fights with wing chun you must first learn how to use wing chun the way it was inteneded.
I prefer to look at it slightly differently -- it's not so much doing it "as intended" (which I think is a self-limiting POV) but rather learning the approach to fighting that our ancestors' developed. There is a distinction.

Learn the proper structure and it's uses learn the jing's Learn how to take the basics in SLT and then apply them . However you can not ever do this if you do not first learn the snake and crane sides of wing chun.

At least that is what I understand his point to be. leanr the wing chun then learn to use it. Use the joints ,shoulder width stance, calm mind etc etc. Then take these things and learn to apply them. The next step.
Yes, that is what I understand Hendrik to be saying as well.

My issue with that is that you can't really learn the structure, gings, etc. except through application -- by actually doing whatever it is under realistic conditions. The forms and unrealistic practices (drills/exercises) are superficial. You can't learn how to throw a ball except by and through actually throwing the ball. Mimicking the action, the ging, etc. won't really teach you how to DO it.

Moreover, those unrealistic practices more often than not lead us in the wrong direction.

BTW, good to see you posting.