Thread: Two teachers at once?

Two teachers at once?

I plan on asking Sifu Gary Lam and/or Sifu Hawkins Cheung to become a student. I have heard great things about both of these instructors to the point where I am finding it impossible to decide between them, would it be a good idea to pay visits to both? Has anyone learned from two teachers at once before in the same art? From what I am seeing they are both WC treasures.

"Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win."
    - Sun Tzu

I've heard good things about both teachers, but personally I'd go with Hawkins Cheung. The fact that he's such a small guy and has made Wing Chun work for him must say something about his deep understanding of the system. But ulitmately it comes down to teaching style and what you will gain from it. The best solution is to try each one for a little while, maybe even at the same time. Then you can make your decision. Both are more than qualified and both have more than enough real fighting experience. And be honest with them. Tell them what you're doing. I hear they're pretty good friends and it might not go over so well if they find out you haven't been straight with them.

You are in an enviable situation my friend! I wouldn't try to study with both at once, as this might be a bit confusing for you. But as the others have said, were I in your position, I would go with Hawkins Cheung. He is a direct student of Yip Man. How can you pass that up?

Thank you for your replies, and no I am not trolling.

While I don't live in LA, I live very close to it and am going to college at Cal State LA, so the commute to either school would be about 30mins with no traffic, or less if I am already in the city for class.

Both teachers have came highly recommended, but I do think I shall go see Sifu Cheung first after reading this thread. Though doing a short trial period with both does seem like a good idea, thank you!

Will do about letting them both know what is going on and what I would like to do. Ideally I'd like to over a period of time learn from both as they both seem to have a lot of awesome stuff to pass on.

"Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win."
    - Sun Tzu

In the same area their are a couple of others you may want to consider. Tom Wong is from YKS lineage and Wong Siu is a student of Leung Sheung. Wong Siu offers small private evening classes.
    "The ultimate nature of survival is maintaining your balance"

Ditch the traditional nonsense. If you are lucky enough to be in an area where you have access to multiple top quality teachers / practitioners then you should try to learn from them all. The only thing that should stop you is their willingness to teach you and the number of hours you have free. I agree with previous posters however, always be honest from day one.
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Wing Chun kung fu in Redditch
    Worcestershire Wing Chun Kuen on facebook

Just wanted to pop in and say that I just had my first lesson at Sifu Hawkins Cheung's school.

I hope I can train under him for many years to come.

- Sun Tzu

Quote Originally Posted by Neeros View Post
    Just wanted to pop in and say that I just had my first lesson at Sifu Hawkins Cheung's school.

I hope I can train under him for many years to come.
    Lucky man!

I feel grateful, I've been able to find such good schools. shaolin wahnam with my sigung Wong Kiew Kit and my sifu Anthony Spinicchia and now Sifu Cheung for wing chun. ^_^
    Last edited by Neeros; 07-20-2013 at 05:39 PM.

- Sun Tzu