Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Liu He Ba Fa or shaolin-do

You're looking into a school with "Shaolin" in the title, and Buddhism bothers you?

Shaolin is Buddhist in origin. Wing Chun is a Shaolin art. Many many Chinese are Buddhists. You're going to run across some devout Buddhists in Chinese martial arts from time to time. I think it's strange that you're more concerned about someone's expression of religion, especially when that religion has been closely associated with the arts you're seeking out, than whether or not someone may be lying to you about what it is you're learning.

try out the wing chun. i train at a chinese martial arts school. there are all kinds of statues, scrolls and stuff on the walls and shelfs. incense is burned also. but no religion or ideas/beliefs are talked about or pushed on the students. its more of a cultural thing many times than a religion. dont let those statues and incense push you away from a school that you might like. "empty your teacup" and give it a try
    A BJJ player and notorious pimp, Da Big Deezy, in the Crenshaw district tried to "raise up" and "slap a ho" ..... I impaled him with my retractible naginata. I wish there were more groundfighters in the world. They make my arsenal that much more deadly. - john takeshi

LIKE FROG IN WELL LOOKING UP AT SKY,THINKING SEE ALL WORLD. - truthman

Cool

I might do that. If they don't push buddist stuff on you then I might join. I wish that Hung Gar was in Boise though........

Quote Originally Posted by hindoshima View Post
    I went to the wing chun school and there were buddahs( Sorry about spelling) everywhere and incense was burning. It just didn't feel right to me.
    We had to shut down our first Shaolin Ninjitsu in Shangdong when a key mistranslation of ancient scrolls led to the entire clan bowing down to incense and burning buddhas everywhere in the province.

It was embarassing, but we've recovered pretty well.

I know someof the people who train there PM me and I will tell you what I know KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

The school in Shangdong isn't there anymore. How do you know people who train there?

Unfortunately, the Buddah burning was the demise of our own temple as well.

I was talking about SD in Idaho KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

Shangdong in Idaho?

I've never heard of it.

Talk about being deliberate.