Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lets talk speed and combos

When you are "in the zone" and youre dealing with the situation instant by instant, then there really not need be such thing as a combo; that is, its not planned--its just the next strike you throw, based on the way the situation keeps unfolding.

If you have clearly better timing than your opponent, then you can go from a place of defense to a place of offense and maintain control. If his timing is better, then youre just trying to hang on til the end!

In the video above, theres a lot of significant gaps of ability between Sugar Ray and his opponents, so he is always controlling and dominating. And sometimes the skill level is closer, so there is more back and forth.

Good article on shoe shine combinations.

http://www.expertboxing.com/punch-te...ne-combination

Hagler vs Sugar Ray

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmXwEJARuN8
    Last edited by wenshu; 05-04-2012 at 10:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    It would have been nice to see RJJ fight someone that REALLY pushed him in his prime.
    Such is life though.
    I hate Roy Jones! His whole career he was talking about fighting more than one guy on one night or at one time and it was all talk. Hey, with his talent, at the least he could've scored over a hundred victories in his career like Ricardo "Finito" Lopez! Finito never talked about it, he just did it. Roy was so talented you wanted to see him do something outstanding in the sport; but the only outstanding thing he ever did was talk about doing something no one else in his day could do. Blah....

Quote Originally Posted by Faruq View Post
    I hate Roy Jones! His whole career he was talking about fighting more than one guy on one night or at one time and it was all talk. Hey, with his talent, at the least he could've scored over a hundred victories in his career like Ricardo "Finito" Lopez! Finito never talked about it, he just did it. Roy was so talented you wanted to see him do something outstanding in the sport; but the only outstanding thing he ever did was talk about doing something no one else in his day could do. Blah....
    No arguing about his mouth BUT in all fairness to RJJ, he HAD to hype his fights, LOL !
    Just a product of the "hype generation" that is still with us in all sports it seems.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    No arguing about his mouth BUT in all fairness to RJJ, he HAD to hype his fights, LOL !
    Just a product of the "hype generation" that is still with us in all sports it seems.
    Yeah you're right, he should've hyped his fights. The things he was actually going to do. Not all the things he was never going to do. lol All the other fighters hyped what they were going to do: their fights.

Greetings,

When both fighters are hard, aggressive, hitters, Hagler vs Hearns (1985). One of the most intense fights I have ever seen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VI-M9Yw-28

When both are hitters, it comes down to defense. In my opinion, Hagler's defense was cocaine. I believe it was used to deaden the effects of the blows received (and Tommy Hearns was throwing some bombs). Though I state the aforementioned as opinion, someone who was into the boxing game was surprised that I picked up on that. It came to light later on, from Hagler's girlfriend, that he had developed a cocaine habit.

mickey
    Last edited by mickey; 05-04-2012 at 04:57 PM.

Something that the "slappty-slap" crew don't get.
    Ahhhhhhhh, youve seen Joe Calgahe fight i see

Quote Originally Posted by mickey View Post
    When both are hitters, it comes down to defense. In my opinion, Hagler's defense was cocaine. I believe it was used to deaden the effects of the blows received (and Tommy Hearns was throwing some bombs). Though I state the aforementioned as opinion, someone who was into the boxing game was surprised that I picked up on that. It came to light later on, from Hagler's girlfriend, that he had developed a cocaine habit.
    Wow, that's the first I've heard of a Hagler coke habit.
    Leonard's coke habit was legendary.
    Coke use was pretty widespread.
    http://www.proboxing-fans.com/cocain...dscape_022810/

EDIT: It seems hagler's alleged cocaine use is still somewhat in debate:
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...6738/index.htm
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...6497/index.htm
    http://www.secondsout.com/columns/ma...arvelous-fight
    Last edited by Pork Chop; 05-05-2012 at 08:56 AM.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Hi Pork Chop,

The article really did not say how cocaine helps you in the ring. I was going to mention Aaron Pryor in my previous post. I really think cocaine gave him the edge in his first fight with Arguello. You could have whacked him with a hammer and two baseball bats and he would have still been standing. I was an Arguello fan. I love technicians. And everything Arguello pulled out of his bag did not work. I never saw Pryor as being that tough; then again, he had Panama Lewis in his corner.

One giveaway of cocaine use for both Hagler and Pryor was the sudden appearance of puffiness around the bridge of the nose and eyebrow area. They looked terrible. I remember their "before" look. And if you look for photos that were taken earlier in their careers, you will see a dramatic difference. After their alleged use, they started to look as if they were bitten by something uncanny.

mickey

Regardless of his substance abuse problems, the Hawk is a legend, especially those fights with Arguello. I've only seen a few clips of him, he's been on my list of guys I need to see footage of for years and years now.

Interesting theory on the cocaine. Cocaine's use as a numbing agent is common knowledge, so the idea that it could give you a better chin seems to have some traction.

Hagler's one of my all-time favorites; so I kind of have mixed feelings about the idea of him using cocaine. I used to train with Ray's brother Roger, and I used to joke with him (Roger) every time I came to the gym: "you know hagler won that fight right?"
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting