Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: retraining your martial art for fighting.

the idea here is to train your ma to a point where you dont freeze during a fighting situation and just revert to a punching and kicking pattern...another thing is you cant be afraid to take a hit...i remember when i was a kid my friends and i use started this little fight club inmy friends back yard, all of us had different back rounds...and i use to lose alot because i would back up alot because i was afraid to get hit, but my backing up resulted in....me getting hit, lol. but once i adjusted to it i started to win more, and started to be able react under pressure, actually using what i know...

nowadays, i spar every once and a while and i hit the bag everyday...im no pro fighter and have no ambitions to be, i dont hang out in situations where i would get into a confrontation...also im 6'3" 250 black guy..so people pretty much leave me alone..lol. but if you dont keep your tools sharp they will dull... removing forms was the best thing i ever did..HOWEVER i think you should still learn them when you begin. but like my sifu said to me, its all about what you are learning it for. if its to teach then you have to learn the breath of the style, if its to fight then you have to take from it what works for you and get rid of what doesnt.

You are destined to be reborn as a 90 lb white woman.

sorry, it's the cards you drew man...
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by doug maverick View Post
    also im 6'3" 250 black guy
    you are have honor. i trust you.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    You are destined to be reborn as a 90 lb white woman.

sorry, it's the cards you drew man...
    lmao!!!

as long as i look like that its all good.
    Last edited by doug maverick; 02-09-2012 at 03:10 PM.

Blog Entries

The Hung Sing Choy Lee Fut system

Hung Sing Choy Lee Fut has a very limited amount of forms and was created that way because they all trained to fight to the death in revolution after revolution from 1851 to the present. Why did i mention this? Because the system i teach was truly designed for combat. That the system wasn't designed for the betterment of our health.

Yeah, we used pads, focus mitts, and do bag work. We use them for development of individual strikes that are strictly from our system. We also use them for the development of the combinations found within our forms. Our forms combo's aren't made up of guess work but are based off of personal experience passed down from generation to generation.

The single regular strikes we work on are:

• Chop Choy's (lead and reverse)
    • Sow Choys (aimed at your head, side of neck or back of neck, including striking limbs.)
    • Upper cuts (long and short)
    • Kwa Choy (horizontal, vertical and diagonal and spinning)
    • Kup Choy (Stamping fist: vertical and horizontal)
    • Elbows (all directions)
    Knee's: (Rising and double)

*** All combo's contain these single strikes.***

We have a good number of open palm techniques as well. I don't place much stock in joint locks too much, but we have them. Hung Sing Choy Lee Fut doesn't like to kick too much but we have a few good kicks, nothing too fancy.

Under my sifu, we sparred ALOT. We were encouraged to spar at 50-75% while gloveless, other times we used gloves. my sifu always wanted us to spar realistically as opposed to KUNG FU sparring. We did alot of 2 man spar forms where once the form was completely memorized we executed our techniques full out and it was an unwritten rule that if you got hit, don't get mad at them, it wasn't their fault you got hit. i still keep that tradition alive today with my own students.

While most of my students aren't interested in pursuing a fighting career they still train to handle what ever comes at them where ever they may be at the moment. we often spar in our street clothes to keep the level of realism. the only time we wear uniforms is during street performances.

I'm not a big fan of too many animal hands but i DO love the Tiger Claw. I never used it to scratch like i've seen so many others do. i use it to rip and tear at what ever flesh i come into contact with be it your forearm, bicep, tricep, neck, or whatever.

I get my students to spar and we've even had a few styles come through especially wing chun to spar. i found it hilarious when the wing chunners would call out to their classmate what to do against CLF. Then my students let em have it CLF STYLE and they weren't able to handle it. Part of this is because i tell my students "unless they legitimately stop or drop you, keep fighting and do your thang". Outside of my club, my students are involved with other styles including MMA/BJJ who are meeting together to test out their fighting methods. This i'm proud of.....not once have any of my students ever come back to me and say "sifu, that sh1t you taught us doesn't work"....not once!

but like i've stated before, my students aren't interested in a career in sport fighting. they go to college and are working to get their degree's. One of my students is going to school to be a doctor or a surgeon or something like that which is the reason he doesn't want to sport fight but he does love to fight.

I do post some stuff on video on my youtube channel, but its always just the surface of what i teach. most of those videos are recorded the same day i taught them a new technique. I like to keep our more advanced stuff quiet and never record those. I come from a school that preferred to stay in the shadows where you would never see what we trained or used until it was too late.

I've had students whose lives were on the line and effectively used our gung fu. I've also had students who moved on to muay thai and enter their first official matches and win their first time out. all in all, i will always love my style and highly appreciate the knowledge my sifu passed down to me. sorry if i went all left field....
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better