Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Building a TCMA Library Thread.

Some of my favorite books are by the writer and illustrator duo Oscar Ratti and Adele Westbrook. I love the illustrations. Oscar Ratti was the man.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=ntt_at_e...=Oscar%20Ratti

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    Some of my favorite books are by the writer and illustrator duo Oscar Ratti and Adele Westbrook. I love the illustrations. Oscar Ratti was the man.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=ntt_at_e...=Oscar%20Ratti
    I have their "secrets of the samurai" and "Aikido and the dynamic sphere".
    Good stuff.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Alaska. http://jadedragonalaska.yolasite.com/

In Person Instruction

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    i dont learn kung fu from a fukin book.
    Your point is well taken.

I would not learn to swim from a book only, either.

Talking Buddhist Origins in Xing Yi Book

Regarding:
    'Quote:
    “It is rumored that Yue Fei’s Xingyi fist book (a secret text) was developed by Da Mo while he was staying at Song Shan [Song Mountain]. He developed this system for conditioning the body.” Preface xxix
    This gives a clear reference to Hsing-i’s Buddhist origin.

Hello all,
    I came across this post and thought I should say something as I am interested in CMA. There is enough scholarship in English on Shaolin martial arts (I would recommend FoilingFist to spend more time reading) to avoid such a rookie mistake. '

This is written Rovere's book, it mis a direct quote. Why babble to me about it? Talk to the author.

"It is rumored that Yue Fei’s Xingyi fist book (a secret text) was developed by Da Mo while he was staying at Song Shan [Song Mountain]. He developed this system for conditioning the body.”
    Preface xxix

It appears that you lack any training in literature, citing or referencing.
    You can get help for this online at Wikipedia under citing.

Training Wheels

For what I think about Buddhist Qigong, as opposed to the topic, the books view on it
    see: http://martial.securesites.net/forum...03#post1142103

I'm confused

The quote William 123 is referring to was written by Huang and translated - not a comment of mine (Dennis Rovere).

Your comment to William 123 re: citing also makes no sense - citation is not needed if he has your comment in quotes; so what are you talking about?

For a pseudo scholar you aren't too informed

FoilingFist,

It was you, not Mr. Rovere, who concluded from Huang Bonian's comment, that
    This gives a clear reference to Hsing-i’s Buddhist origin.
    Buddhism or Yue Fei's contributions to XYQ has never been proven. How can you say that it is clear if you obviously have not done any real research on the topic? Mr. Rovere's book is a direct translation of Huang's manual in case you missed the point again...

William
    Last edited by William123; 11-12-2011 at 02:04 PM.

I love where this thread is headed.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Quote Originally Posted by William123 View Post
    FoilingFist,

It was you, not Mr. Rovere, who concluded from Huang Bonian's comment, that

Buddhism or Yue Fei's contributions to XYQ has never been proven. How can you say that it is clear if you obviously have not done any real research on the topic? Mr. Rovere's book is a direct translation of Huang's manual in case you missed the point again...

William
    What you say about Yue Fei is correct. Another thing that should be pointed out to FoilingFist is that Yue Fei wasn't a Buddhist, but an adherent of Confucianism. He sacrificed meat and wine and fired off arrows at the tomb of his archery teacher Zhou Tong, who was not a Shaolin monk as some legends state. Upon the death of his father, he left the military in accordance with the Confucian three year morning period (which he had to cut short). Then there was the whole endless loyalty to the state thing too. Most importantly, Yue Fei never wrote such a book. The writings that his grandson, the historian Yue ke, collected comprised mainly correspondences with the court (one of these was so heated that it actually got him demoted). Yue's connection to Damo actually comes from the forged 17th century Yijin Jing manual. Another example of literature being attributed to him is the famous "River Washed in Red" poem. It was most likely written in the early 16th century and posthumously attributed to him.

Mr. Rovere, your book sounds interesting. I may just have to add it to my library!

As I mentioned on another forum where this comment was made

The reference to Da Mo in the book is a direct translation of Huang Bo Nien's comment - not my interpretation or comment. Specifically it says "It is rumored that Yueh Fei's xingyi fist book (a secret text) by Da Mo... ". It also goes on to say that "even though one cannot clearly determine its origin...".

This is a typical early 20th century writing technique and could be connected to the "law of folklore" in cultural anthropology. The purpose here is to make an historical connection with ancient history or a personage of historical significance. Huang also gives himself a 'way out' (i.e., 'rumored' & 'cannot clearly determine...' in case historical research brings to light new information.)

I also agree that Yueh Fei was a Confucian

Leaning is a mistake in Hsing-i; no excuses

Quote Originally Posted by rovere View Post
    I think you missed the point(s):

"Although knowledge in book appears sound, not all of the example photos are. On page 17, it shows two pictures at the bottom; with what appears to the author Dennis Rovere; Leaning his torso forward, and extending his head. I do not do this, nor do I recommend it, since it causes one to be less rooted, and more committed to a forward motion. One who is skilled will see this forward leaning and lead the person with their own energy. I do not see this in the photos of the old time practitioners."

To respond: If you read the text and the captions: I am not illustrating a xingyi punch but rather showing how the body has to absorb or can redirect the force using the half turn position. the 45 degree angle of the torso lets the strike aimed at the centre line simply slide past. If you look at the section on peng quan my position is not leaning nor is my head extended.
    ... blah blah
    On page 17, Figure 2-4b, does have a caption, but it clearly shows Rovere leaning forward, his nose is past his hips on a vertical axis line up, this is a mistake for any martial move in Hsing-i. Take a draftsman's right angle, for yourself; and you will see he is leaning forward.

It is real man, that can admit his mistakes and learn from them. A Prima Donna never admits any mistakes.

What is done in ‘section on peng quan’ is another page, and does not deal with the leaning on page 17.

Talking Waffling

The passage written in YOUR book, cites Da Mo, in Huang's article, without reservation.

Any author's differences are put in footnotes, appendixes, or subsequent releases.

What else in your book do you print that you do not agree with.

Why should the reader play Russian Roulette with what an author presents, unqualified?

What other sources that you use in your book, will you later abandon and belittle?
    Quote Originally Posted by rovere View Post
    The quote William 123 is referring to was written by Huang and translated - not a comment of mine (Dennis Rovere).
    ...Blah blah...
    Last edited by Foiling Fist; 11-23-2011 at 02:38 PM.

You really are stupid

On the page that I am leaning forward, I am the one throwing the punch and the other fellow has turned his body - which has caused me to lurch forward as the punch is redirected. This was done at full speed with the digital camera on burst - then we pick the best photos to illustrate the point - which is the 45 degree angle of the chest that allows the blow to glance by. Sorry the work doesn't meet your low standards and 'fluffy qi dancing'. Instead of knocking other people and displaying your ignorance why don't you actually learn xingyi

I have looked at your site and what you write. I may be a 'prima donna' but your are simply full of ****! Get an ****ing education moron.

As for xue sheng, he and I are not acquainted; but he certainly has more manners than you.

Talking Not on 3 other forums

You mentioned I have posted on 3 other forums with xue sheng? Not true. I did comment on one other forum though.

Also you keep referring to Huang's article. It was, if I recall the foreward he wrote to his own book. Since the purpose of the book I did is different than what you think it should be, I am not obligated to comment on his historical interpretation. If it was a literary discussion then I may be inclined to do so.

My point was to translate and then demonstrate applications that he discusses but does not show. I also demonstrate how some of the techniques were taught at the military academy. Since you are obviously not an academic by any stretch of the imagination, I find it interesting that you can only bolster your own 'expertise by 'nit picking' the works of others. Yes, I see you have reviewed your own book and deemed it a quality production but realistically I don't think you have anything to offer in the way of insight or historical research or ...

I think I have said enough on the matter because you really are thick, so any more comments on my part are pointless. BTW do you even do xingyi - since the lineages you have aren't too clear? At least the ROC and Chinese military (ROC & PRC) recognize my background - and that is documented; so maybe I am a prima donna - with 40 years of training and teaching experience.

Hey Loon Can't You Quote Properly?

"Hey David
    Thanks for the warm welcome.

I thought I would have more time since I retired but between the academic lecturing and expert witness work, I seem to be more busy than before. It's nice someone remembers me.

FYI I am having a xingyi article published in the Journal of Chinese Martial Studies (Nov./Dec.) - one that departs from the 'normal fare'.

I hope all is well with you.

Dennis"

The quote you attributed to xue sheng was actually directed to David Jameson, who I do know as he has helped me in the past getting books I needed for research. You must be or have gone to school with foiling fist/Jade Dragon.