Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Sabatoge at the Great Lakes Kung Fu Championships

Greetings,

If I was involved in the tournament scene, I would try to get involved with the AAU in taking the initiative to oversee the events taking place in my area. If it involves certification, I would get it. That way, I get a piece of everybody's action. And I stand to get a bigger piece of my own action. Why settle for crumbs when you can get a nice meal?

How many of you tournament organizers try to get sponsorships?

mickey

It's all B/S

kung fu tournaments are a fraction, of a fraction, of a small percentage.

No one talks to anyone or coordinates anything.
    This is why Kung fu is essentially dead.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuHung View Post
    It's all B/S

kung fu tournaments are a fraction, of a fraction, of a small percentage.

No one talks to anyone or coordinates anything.
    This is why Kung fu is essentially dead.
    This is essentially correct. Most of the old school Chinese kung fu Sifu's (Includes Chinese born, American born, European born etc) have an attitude problem in my opinion.

This all stems from the Chinese culture of pride, pettiness and losing face. My wife is Asian and I see this attitude in her as well. I have noticed over the years that many old school Sifu would not associate with other Sifu or if you did not play by their rules, they took their ball and went home.

All of these old school attitudes hinder CMA. Modern people are not quite as bad but, people like Nick are part of this old school regime.

ginosifu

Quote Originally Posted by ginosifu View Post
    This all stems from the Chinese culture of pride, pettiness and losing face.
    exactly! and heaven forbid your student(s) see even the slightest crack* in your armor - because it will invariably send them all running towards the sifu down the road who claims invincibleness...and crack goes your rice bowl;

this is predicated on the ridiculous notion that it's the teacher who "has something special" that no one else has, and that even more absurdly, that he is capable of "giving it" to you; of course, in this day and age, there are no secrets: it's all out there on You Tube - and I mean not only the forms - you can see a lot of good stuff, including so-called "internal", in terms of usage; what's more, more and more people are waking up to the FACT that, as in any other of physical skill, it's not the teacher / style, it's what you put into it, and that the only "secret" is that the better conditioned, the stronger, the faster and the more adept you are in no-frills, high-percentage techniques, the better a fighter you will be;

the days of the myth of super-duper powers secret-temple-hidden TCMA are, for the most part, over; no longer can you claim superiority based on what you practice, now you have to put-up or shut-up; and while that is the death-knell for the "traditional" way of things, it's also a potential wake-up call for the community to get off it's collective butts, and start data-mining itself for the things it has of value to offer and to train according to those things in a way that students can rise to the current level at which the bar is being re-set

*(I originally wrote "ch1nk" but it got censored, LOL - any comments on that one, Gene?!?)

I've seen pretty much EVERY single "secret" skill done by a "master", copied and done just as well, if not better, by someone else with NO MA training at times.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Our censors are preset

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    *(I originally wrote "ch1nk" but it got censored, LOL - any comments on that one, Gene?!?)
    I can override them, of course, but that seems silly. Even though it's easy enough to get around them by subbing a letter, at least it's a reminder. Besides, I find it rather amusing for some words like ****her and ****phone.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I can override them, of course, but that seems silly. Even though it's easy enough to get around them by subbing a letter, at least it's a reminder. Besides, I find it rather amusing for some words like ****her and ****phone.
    no, of course don't override it - it's part of the peculiar KFMF flavor we all have come to luv; my point is that, whereas you can write "mick", "wop", "kraut", "nip" or "paki", "ch1nk" gets censored...hmmmm....

This all stems from the Chinese culture of pride, pettiness and losing face.
    no. this stems from american kung fu people being big hairy poossies, and your "old school" coming from inbred chinese hillbilly kung fu.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    inbred chinese hillbilly kung fu.
    Quote Originally Posted by wiz cool c View Post
    in guang dong province
    big hairy poossies,
    Quote Originally Posted by wiz cool c View Post
    banging several hot asian chicks a week
    For a second there I thought I was in the 'challenge matches' thread.

Glad you understand

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    no, of course don't override it - it's part of the peculiar KFMF flavor we all have come to luv; my point is that, whereas you can write "mick", "wop", "kraut", "nip" or "paki", "ch1nk" gets censored...hmmmm....
    That must have been one of Steve Creel's original settings as I can't imagine it was pre-programed that way. I've only added a few - like when we had to ban a certain member.

Hmm, if need be, I suppose I could censor 'gihk'.

At least you can still write poossies.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Blog Entries
    This all stems from the Chinese culture of pride,
    It's the attitude of "Prefer to be the head of a chicken than to be the end of a cow". But not all Chinese have that kind of attitude. I was the 1st term president of the of ACSCA. After all the board of directors had served their 2 years terms, we all agree to assign David C. K. Lin as the president for the rest of his life.

If you know someone has better combat skill than you have, it's not hard to follow the lead from that person. If you think you may be better than someone, it's very difficult to let that person to lead you.

no. this stems from american kung fu people being big hairy poossies, and your "old school" coming from inbred chinese hillbilly kung fu.
    I hope you know that I am talking about people that came out of China that brought their attitudes here. I have been to China and seen and heard this attitude first hand. My wife is from Indonesia and they are basically the same.

My main experiences are first hand talking and working with Chinese born kung fu Sifu that came to America. They act with the same attitude of can't lose face and I need to be the leader of kung fu on the East coast or I will Black Ball you and you will never teach in this area again. Or if you talk with that guy I will never talk with you again. Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah. However, not everyone is like that though.

bawang: you are probably one of the biggest old school Arseholes with that can't lose face attitudes!

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    It's the attitude of "Prefer to be the head of a chicken than to be the end of a cow". But not all Chinese have that kind of attitude. I was the 1st term president of the of ACSCA. After all the board of directors had served their 2 years terms, we all agree to assign David C. K. Lin as the president for the rest of his life.

If you know someone has better combat skill than you have, it's not hard to follow the lead from that person. If you think you may be better than someone, it's very difficult to let that person to lead you.
    YouKnowWho: Not everyone is bad.... But there are those who fall into that Can't Lose Face / Pride / Petty kinda catagory.

ginosifu

But there are those who fall into that Can't Lose Face / Pride / Petty kinda catagory.
    You are in that category.

You didn't post this thread to bitch about how you gained face because someone snitched on your little tournament.

I don't think "face" has anything to do with Scrima's motivations anyways.

He dropped a dime cause he wants to muscle in on your territory.

Last edited by wenshu; 04-26-2012 at 09:44 PM.

My main experiences are first hand talking and working with Chinese born kung fu Sifu that came to America.
    chinese teachers that want a white ricebowl all have egos. thats why they wanna teach white people in the first place. to show off to other chinese, and because they think white students are stupid and easily impress.
    Last edited by bawang; 04-27-2012 at 03:00 AM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

LOL ! Funny assessment.