Thread: Wang peisheng 37 posture form

Wang Peisheng 37 posture form

Any opinions on this form? I've just began studying this style/form and I'm interested in any information/opinions that people may have. I know it's not a mainstream style i.e. Chen, Yang, or Wu. Can the same benefits be gained from a form with fewer postures? Thanks in advance
    Last edited by Raptor; 04-16-2010 at 09:17 AM.

fewer postures...

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
    Any opinions on this form? I've just began studying this style/form and I'm interested in any information/opinions that people may have. I know it's not a mainstream style i.e. Chen, Yang, or Wu. Can the same benefits be gained from a form with fewer postures? Thanks in advance
    Hey Raptor;

Is that 37 different postures, or are there some repetitions left and right, back and forth, etc.?
    .... Skip

37 Postures

Skip,
    I believe that it's 37 different postures. Wang Peisheng has a book out that describes the form pretty well. From what I've seen, we follow the form in the book.

repeated postures

Skip,
    I believe that it's 37 different postures. Wang Peisheng has a book out that describes the form pretty well. From what I've seen, we follow the form in the book.
    The main styles have several "transitional" movements that are between more complex movements to tie them together; and/or are a significant part of a more complex movement. Particular ones like brush knee/strike and single whip are sprinkled all thru the form.

If you have 37 with no repetitions, it may not be that much less than other styles. It is certainly enough to cover all 13 basic postures. If you are already doing the 108 in another style, it mite seem simple to you.

If you are a beginner, it mite seem that you get to the more complex, difficult movements too soon, and are not ready to learn them yet. In any case, it's gonna take you a year or two to know enough to form an opinion one way or the other. Until then it's just slug it out and learn it.

Let us know how it turns out!
    .... Skip

Wang set is an excellent and complete set which include the details in depth of Qi medirians handling ..taiji Jin...etc. which produce results.

IE this much details and more http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2v8C33f1mw

in additional to what most think about Taiji and infact doesnt have the technology to go one step further then relaxing.

The critical issue of studying Wang's set is one must find a qualified teacher who has master the set. unless one has the advance qi training else where, even reading Wang's book cant get a good view on the subject. Thus, one needs a teacher who has mastered his set.

Otherwise, one doesnt get the benifit more then the usual socalled Taiji which in fact just a " relax solo dance." which do some good but cant go further much.
    Last edited by Hendrik; 04-17-2010 at 01:18 PM.

The 37 form of Wang Peisheng was one of the earlier to be developed but he was sent to re-education camp when he failed to give face to a political personage so his form fell by the wayside and hence the Beijing 24 form was able to take precedence!
    Chen Manqing's short form was not too far behind but since he did not have 'government priviledge', his form was propagated at a time in USA and Europe that allowed for more public awareness of taijiquan.

The important part in the process is neigong and taijizhuang. The forrm is actually the least important when compared to the following:
    a. Taijizhuang
    b. Individual posture repetition
    c. Stringed posture repetition
    d. Holding posture (part of (a) + zhanzhuang (holding ball, etc)
    e. Form. All of above incorporated into playing of 'form')