Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Sifu Wang Zhi Peng Wooden Dummy Explanation

Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    Not only in Hong Kong. WSL spent a lot of time with him in Europe as well and was in the process of moving over there. Someone closer could answer your question more accurately. All I know is, the less time spent with WSL, the more folks tend to incorporate the 'sensitivity' and other 'skills' found in other general WC lineages, the more time, the less so.

Take the three western students you mentioned in this thread for example;

CP => DP => PB
    and where would you put barry lee on that list?

I'm not a good person to ask, as I don't know much about Barry Lee's VT. But I've heard as someone who also lived in HK and trained full-time with WSL, his approach again matches more closely to PB's. Kevin just had a student of his at the PB seminar. Perhaps he had something to say.

I'm not a good person to ask, as I don't know much about Barry Lee's VT. But I've heard as someone who also lived in HK and trained full-time with WSL, his approach again matches more closely to PB's. Kevin just had a student of his at the PB seminar. Perhaps he had something to say.
    The b Lee student said they had similar ideas. He seemed to have a grasp of drills we did using speed and coordination with elbow alignment. He was equally amazed at PBs speed and power while executing, a lot of guys saw what wsl used to defeat so many ; ). Awesome stuff. Lightning fast striking and movement , no arm bridges simply because they leave us open to be grabbed. Why we do lap sao ; )
    Last edited by k gledhill; 08-06-2013 at 06:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    Awesome stuff. Lightning fast striking and movement, no arm bridges simply because they leave us open to be grabbed. Why we do lap sao ; )
    Well, lap sau is an arm bridge, as is bong and pak. But we've been there already

But even from the videos alone it can be see PB is very fast, and has great coordination and timing.

Regarding the photo you posted - this is from PB's visit to NY, or has PB relocated to the US? I'm asking as I'm interested how much time people get to study with him. If you don't live in Germany, do you visit occasionally and he visits you from time to time (for seminars, etc)?

Or does it work like it does with someone I know, who would visit LT and his guys in Hong Kong once or twice a year, for approximately 2-2.5 months at a time.
    Last edited by BPWT; 08-06-2013 at 07:09 AM.
    No mocking, tongue-in-cheek signature here... move on.

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    Abstract turned into 1:1 , elbows got lost for wrists in the ensuing 1000's of unchecked teachers and students lost the way.
    This is an interesting point/view. And it would certainly explain problems generations removed from Yip Man. But how does it explain those taught directly by Yip Man?

Hawkins Cheung, Duncan Leung, Leung Ting, Ho Kam Ming - all of these people (and numerous others) learned directly from Yip Man, and all I believe are intelligent, educated people who would have understood the abstract nature of the art.

LT particularly asked about the abstract nature, the theory and the concepts and how they relate to real use.

But you call these guys arm-chasers and wristy chi sau doers.
    No mocking, tongue-in-cheek signature here... move on.

Quote Originally Posted by BPWT View Post
    Well, lap sau is an arm bridge, as is bong and pak. But we've been there already

But even from the videos alone it can be see PB is very fast, and has great coordination and timing.

Regarding the photo you posted - this is from PB's visit to NY, or has PB relocated to the US? I'm asking as I'm interested how much time people get to study with him. If you don't live in Germany, do you visit occasionally and he visits you from time to time (for seminars, etc)?

Or does it work like it does with someone I know, who would visit LT's and his guys in Hong Kong once or twice a year, for approximately 2-2.5 months at a time.

Lap sao is a drill we use to develop a lot of various techniques to avoid grabbing or having our arms xed . Many just learn grab n punch with bong wu counter and repeat for ever without knowing what's going on... You learn to attack into others timing not me hit ....you hit .... Me hit ; ) or maybe a fast fac sao pose : )
    His instructors come regularly to teach along with a steady flow of student from branches too. We all have the same ideas too so skills are tested not subjective combat egos. We had a coaching for about a year recently when a guy located to NYC for his work. Philipp can clarify things by actions and subtleties I mention here as the details only face to face can convey using real fighting speeds and power. He is constantly doing seminars for his branches so nobody gets him in one place for long : /

Nb we drill laap sao WITH each other abstractly. ; )
    Last edited by k gledhill; 08-06-2013 at 07:35 AM.

This is an interesting point/view. And it would certainly explain problems generations removed from Yip Man. But how does it explain those taught directly by Yip Man?

Hawkins Cheung, Duncan Leung, Leung Ting, Ho Kam Ming - all of these people (and numerous others) learned directly from Yip Man, and all I believe are intelligent, educated people who would have understood the abstract nature of the art.

LT particularly asked about the abstract nature, the theory and the concepts and how they relate to real use.

But you call these guys arm-chasers and wristy chi sau doers.
    Yeah weird huh ? I met Hawkins personally and his students nice guy. I met Robert Chu we all exchanged. This is while I was with V Kan. I don't doubt they got the same information. But I doubt that in the isolation of setting up in their chosen homes in USA and elsewhere they had anyone come and correct THEM ; )
    I am guilty of not being perfect too, the system is a checking testing ground for abstract ideas. If you lose the abstract nature and things slide, one gets lazy and accepts whatever they do as artistic license or freedom of expression to do their own thing. That is fine too. But there is a razor sharp testing level out there in the world now. If you don't care then no amount of logic will matter. Your ideas will allow your way to function with bridges and pressure of arms looking for arms. When you encounter ving tsun all the redundant aspects come straight to the top quickly and you're left with concrete ideas.

Lets no forget that just because a guy decides to teach vt
    And claims xyz its no guarantee of anything. Maybe they were the only guy around ? Who could you compare with like today's interweb. ?

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    and where would you put barry lee on that list?
    I would remove CP from that list completely. He is a charlatan

Its the exact same reason why there are differences in the WSL lineage.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham H View Post
    I met CP and didn't think much on him either. Skin and hair.

Its the exact same reason why there are differences in the WSL lineage.
    Exactly , some grasp abstractions easier than others.

Ego or saving face along with hierarchical arse kissing rights are big in some cultures too. Why did some spend so much effort getting close to Y M and only behind closed doors ? It would allow the addition or missing, personal ideas to go unchallenged.

That's why I put him at the other end and at all because BPWT mentioned him. Little time with WSL and polar opposite from PB.

Not sure, I think these guys might be from Barry Lee's;
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnvGuzqDvOs

I'm afraid you may not know the difference, but WZP was talking about fighting, not just chi-sau practice. It's scary the way you compare the two.
    What's scary is the way your mind blocks out information.

To qoute WZP while showing his palm pushing on his partners throat/lower jaw: "It's not pushing. You should always PRACTICE your strength." relating it, by example, to you should instead be releasing power into the partner. He gives an example of what PB did 20 some odd times in that 1:37 clip. "It's not pushing him. What if he comes toward me and I cannot push him away?"
    Last edited by WC1277; 08-06-2013 at 10:24 AM.