Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: MMA did Help the Evolution of TCMA

TCMA does not require evolution. If you practice what once was for the same purpose as what once was, then you may be affiliated with TCMA. If you want to become a pro tennis player it is not going to get you there by hanging out with the chess club all day, even if they have some things in common.

TCMA does not require evolution. If you practice what once was for the same purpose as what once was, then you may be affiliated with TCMA. If you want to become a pro tennis player it is not going to get you there by hanging out with the chess club all day, even if they have some things in common.
    When was the last time you've killed someone with your kung fu? simple question, just asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Snipsky View Post
    When was the last time you've killed someone with your kung fu? simple question, just asking.
    when was the last time anyone killed anyone with mma?
    tkd? karate? jj? bjj? mt? bb? lol

People get beaten to death on a fairly regular basis around the world.
    Somehow I doubt it's done frequently by trained martial artists.

It's one of the bizarre side effects of martial arts study.
    It actually tempers your beast! lol
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Nicely put!

I believe in incorporating all that you can to progress your skill level and understanding of other arts and combat sports. It helps put into perspective the reality of what you learn traditionally. There is a significant difference, as we all can agree upon, between training for sport, self defense, recreation, or health yet there is a fine line that unifies all of the variants. One can not become complacent, one must always seek to further our martial knowledge, absorb what is useful and incorporate it into your skills.

What I find interesting is that one mindset of thought tries to invalidate the other when both can coexist, learn from each, and flourish.

"don't knock it until you've tried it" :-)

This forum has become a safe haven for trolls.

However, everything gets its time in the spot light. Kung Fu had it, TKD, BJJ, UFC.....now its MMA. what will be next? Maybe realistic battle with real weaponry?

what matters is that what BJJ and MMA has done for the further evolution of TCMA. in my opinion its a good thing and we need to give thanks where it is deserved. The strong will survive and the rest will fall to the way side.

I can say Muay Thai and HOW they train woke me up to better way of training. BJJ made me realize that its necessary to have good ground skills, not just for sport but in case on the streets you go to the ground. What MMA has done for me was made me see that our conditioning and reliance on the expectation of "IT JUST BEING THERE" cause i trained so long was false.

WU DE messed up TCMA more than anything cause it stole the essence of what it was all about in the first place. People who fought in the streets were called THUGS while the intellectuals and biatches would preach about Wu De while the thugs went out and fought it out and learned what worked and what didn't. some teachers would tell their students not to come back unless they got into a fight. much of that has been lost.

MMA did to kung fu what the cell phone did to the beeper. while the beeper became obsolete, it was incorporated into the cell phones then turned into text paging. it got swallowed up into the latest in technology. The beeper could have survived if it included a way for two way communication but it couldn't cut it.

some kung fu people have woken up and going with the flow. you are seeing more and more TCMA in the ring more than ever now even though its not that often.
    Last edited by pateticorecords; 07-13-2011 at 06:50 AM.
    Tom
    Integrated Kung Fu Academy
    Kung Fu - Kickboxing - MMA -Self Defense
    Media, PA -Delaware County

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    To that list I would add hanging out at places where you have no interest in anything being discussed other than to entertain your own inferiority complex.

Look, I don't come down to your forum and start pontificating about how to properly apply a ball gag on your gimp.
    quoted for truth...and for being funny as sh1t!
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

"Killing does not require Kungfu", just saying.

All things that do not evolve are essentially dead. Kung Fu or any other martial art is no different. If you practice in a stagnant manner or that such and such technique is the answer to all situations, you have failed.

For example, you have two practioners A. LARP Kung Fu B. MMA/Sanda/Reality based Kung Fu

Practioner A and Practioner B want to learn to stop a double leg takedown. The Kung Fu answer is drop into horse stance, drop and elbow to the back of the head. Reality based answer is the sprawl.

Now most reality based arts will drill this until the sprawl comes naturally, the LARPer will have someone come in slow and unrealistic while he postures and makes it look good to the ignorant eye, convincing the naive this would actually work.

Now the reason I distinguish between LARP and reality is that there is a huge difference and someone who is blinded by an agenda is the only ones who don't recongnize this. But the big difference is there are many more LARPers in Kung Fu than in MMA, and until this changes, this attitude will continue.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

in the 1950s, it was kara te

in the 1960s, it was tae kwan do.

in the 1970s, it was kung fu

--

in the 1990s, it was ufc, mma

in the 2010s, it will be---

--

if the evolution is at work, then what would be the next ---

Quote Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
    in the 1950s, it was kara te

in the 1960s, it was tae kwan do.

in the 1970s, it was kung fu

--

in the 1990s, it was ufc, mma

in the 2010s, it will be---

--

if the evolution is at work, then what would be the next ---
    Macedonian Buttocks Grappling
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Macedonian Buttocks Grappling
    you forget the (tm) and since I own that one, please send me $1 via paypal
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    you forget the (tm) and since I own that one, please send me $1 via paypal
    Dagnabit !!!!
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

(evil laughter)
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

yes, everything is like the fashion/wind/tides, comes and goes

such as in hair styles, long hair/hippie, pony tail, mid length/wavy, crew cut, shaved baldness

such as in skirts

mini, midi, and maxi with thick sole shoes

such as

--

so are fighting fads or popularity

---

This forum has become a safe haven for trolls.

However, everything gets its time in the spot light. Kung Fu had it, TKD, BJJ, UFC.....now its MMA. what will be next? Maybe realistic battle with real weaponry?

what matters is that what BJJ and MMA has done for the further evolution of TCMA. in my opinion its a good thing and we need to give thanks where it is deserved. The strong will survive and the rest will fall to the way side.

I can say Muay Thai and HOW they train woke me up to better way of training. BJJ made me realize that its necessary to have good ground skills, not just for sport but in case on the streets you go to the ground. What MMA has done for me was made me see that our conditioning and reliance on the expectation of "IT JUST BEING THERE" cause i trained so long was false.

WU DE messed up TCMA more than anything cause it stole the essence of what it was all about in the first place. People who fought in the streets were called THUGS while the intellectuals and biatches would preach about Wu De while the thugs went out and fought it out and learned what worked and what didn't. some teachers would tell their students not to come back unless they got into a fight. much of that has been lost.

MMA did to kung fu what the cell phone did to the beeper. while the beeper became obsolete, it was incorporated into the cell phones then turned into text paging. it got swallowed up into the latest in technology. The beeper could have survived if it included a way for two way communication but it couldn't cut it.

some kung fu people have woken up and going with the flow. you are seeing more and more TCMA in the ring more than ever now even though its not that often.
    This post is interesting. BJJ taught you that you the need for ground skills. What have you gained from your tcma training?

to Mattador ^

I have gained the skill to apply my downward elbow to a guy going for the shot.

Just picture a guy flattened out under the elbow:

Last edited by Brule; 07-14-2011 at 02:00 PM.