Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Boxing vs. MMA

After the Margarito loss Cintron's marketability fell drastically, especially when Margarito was somewhat exposed by Paul Williams.

Cintron was an accomplished high school wrestler, was offered full ride scholarships to Wisconsin and Ohio State, and has been working on transitioning to MMA for over a year now.

He's got a huge punch.
    I don't think all boxers would transition well to mma (even given extensive ground training), but with his power, Kermit's definitely one of them.

Last year's PPV numbers had UFC shows over most boxing shows.
    I believe this year boxing numbers have been on an upswing.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

ttt

Them's fightin' words.

Last update: 11-21-2007
    Jeff Lacy: "MMA is a Fad, Not a Sport"
    By Mark Vester

In a recent conference with the media, former super middleweight champion Jeff Lacy (22-1, 17KOs) gave his thoughts on Mixed Martial Arts, primarily the UFC, and whether or not the sport of boxing has stepped up to compete with the UFC as a sport.

"I don't think that we really paid much attention to them. I see that as a fad, to tell you the truth. To me it's not a sport. I used to see that in my old neighborhood in the Bronx. The fact of the matter is if you look at it with all their hype and all the rest of the stuff, Oscar de la Hoya verses Mayweather itself in the aggregate grossed as much as almost all of their MMA fights of the year, one fight," Lacy said. "Now you're going to add this card that's coming up now, between the two cards, they out-grossed the entire MMA fights for the year."

Lacy says that MMA is not as popular as the sport of boxing and there is a not a single mixed martial arts competitor on the level of a De La Hoya, Sugar Ray Leonard or even himself. While I won't go as far as stating that Lacy is a more popular athlete than a Chuck Liddell or a Tito Ortiz, two of the most well known stars in MMA, I will say that I wouldn't be surprised if Lacy made just as much money as them in his career.

"So, it's still not as popular as boxing. Boxing is the second most popular sport in the world, next to soccer, and MMA is just something that's come along. They've done a great job of marketing it. For people that remember it, there's nobody on the level of Oscar de la Hoya, Ray Leonard, Ali, or Jeff Lacy or any of these guys," Lacy said. "There's nobody at MMA that right off the top of your head is going to go to a Hall of Fame. They're going to either remember them or they're going to have other lives afterwards. I can't remember one guy."

Lacy returns to the ring on the Dec. 8, facing Peter Manfredo Jr. on the undercard to Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Ricky Hatton in Las Vegas.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

"I don't think that we really paid much attention to them. I see that as a fad, to tell you the truth. To me it's not a sport. I used to see that in my old neighborhood in the Bronx. The fact of the matter is if you look at it with all their hype and all the rest of the stuff, Oscar de la Hoya verses Mayweather itself in the aggregate grossed as much as almost all of their MMA fights of the year, one fight," Lacy said. "Now you're going to add this card that's coming up now, between the two cards, they out-grossed the entire MMA fights for the year."
    gotta agree with that, we use to draw a circle in my boys backyard and just fight it out with using whatever we knew kung fu ,tak kwan do, kickboxing, street fighting whatever. and we all learned from each other as well.

speaking of boxing...

Check out Zou Shiming...

Zou leads new pack of pugilists
    (China Daily)
    Updated: 2007-11-20 10:40

Newly crowned world boxing champion Zou Shiming said his success in the ring is the best way to showcase China's power in the sport.

"This is my second world championship title and also the second by a Chinese boxer. I used my fist to tell the world that China is powerful," said Zou, who defended the 48kg title at the World Boxing Championship in Chicago, Illinois earlier this month.

Zou outpointed Harry Tanamor of the Philippines to win 17-3 and he attributed the victory to his healthy mood.

"I always told myself to keep a low key against any opponent," Zou said. "I saw myself as an unknown boxer. This enables me to keep composure under pressure."

Zou, 26, has been named as a gold medal hopeful for China at next year's Beijing Olympic Games.

He won a historic bronze medal for China at the Athens Olympics three years ago. It was the best China has ever placed in the Olympic Games.

"The world championship is the best way to tune up for the Beijing Games. And winning the title is an extra motivation for me to fight for a gold on home soil next year," said Zou, who was a Wushu athlete before turning to boxing.

"There are new rivals coming up in this tournament. So we will work even harder to better prepare for the future challenge."

Zou's impressive performances also awarded him the sole MVP of the tournament and won praises from chief officials.

"He is brilliant. He is awarded the tournament's MVP," said Cui Fuguo, director of the Boxing and Taekwondo Administrative Center (BTAC) of State General Administration of Sports.

"He showed stability and became more mature in the ring. He is able to better control the game and give more pressure to his opponent.

"Moreover, officials from the International Boxing Council and coaches of other countries are speaking highly of his skill."

Standing at 1.70m, Zou was not born a boxer. He had to serve as a sparring partner at first.

But he soon showed talent with his feel for pace and quick speed, taking center stage at the 2003 World Championship where he surprisingly made it into the finals.

Although he lost to the ultimate champion, a silver medal at the World Championship was still the best result China had ever achieved in the boxing ring.

Sport on the rise

At the tournament in Chicago China performed as well as it ever has in a world championship, also winning four bronzes in the 57kg, 69kg, 91kg and over-91kg divisions.

China's boxers rarely made it past the first round in major international competitions but have now emerged as strong competitors on the circuit with seven boxers having clinched Olympic tickets.

"Since Bai Chongguang got a gold medal in the 81kg class at the 11th Asian Games in 1990 and Zou Shiming won a bronze medal in 48kg at the Athens Olympics, Chinese boxing has become more and more mature," said Chang Jianping, the chairman of the Chinese Boxing Association and the director of BTAC.

According to Chang, more and more talented Chinese boxers are emerging, a sure sign that the sport is in good health.

"Worlds gold-medal winner Zhang Maomao, Zhang Xiyan and Zou have combined to give boxing a shot in the arm," said Chang.

"Chinese boxing, no matter whether men's or women's, is developing by leaps and bounds," he said. "Many fighters are reaching a competitive international level, particularly in the men's 48kg."

Cui Dalin, deputy director of the State General Administration of Sports, is also pleased to see the rapid progress, especially with the Beijing Games looming.

"The coaching team did a very good job. China now has its own boxing style," Cui said. "All the players showed the confidence and the ability of changing tactics during the tournament. The results are encouraging for our Olympic preparations."

But Cui also tried to cool down some of the high expectations the boxing team faces: "We did have a breakthrough at this world championship. But we have to stay cool as Cuba did not send players and we also had very lucky draws."

China faces rivals from powerhouses like Russia and Cuba as well as threats from Asia.

In Asia, Thailand, Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan all pose a threat. The Philippines, Republic of Korea and the Democratic People's Republic of Korea are all strong in certain categories as well.

Cuba and Russia are the dominant powers in the sport, claiming five and three gold medals, respectively, out of 11 at the Athens Olympics. Russia was also the biggest winner with three golds at this world championship.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I know that most don't think that there is a world outside the US, but how does MMA ratings compare to Boxing in the rest of the world?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    I know that most don't think that there is a world outside the US, but how does MMA ratings compare to Boxing in the rest of the world?
    MMA is huge in Japan, I know that for sure.

When do you think the "fad" label will wear off?

Considering it's been around almost 15 years now, only idiots and those who hate the sport still call it a fad.

Quote Originally Posted by 1bad65 View Post
    Considering it's been around almost 15 years now, only idiots and those who hate the sport still call it a fad.
    I am talking about around the world, and while UFC and such have been around since the 90's, MMA as it is now and its CURRENT popularity are NOT 15 years old.

...ah, I remember when skiers thought snowboarding was just a fad...who's laughing now...
    Sapere aude, Justin.

The map is not the Terrain.

"Wheather you believe you can, or you believe you can't...You're right." - Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by AmanuJRY View Post
    ...ah, I remember when skiers thought snowboarding was just a fad...who's laughing now...
    I am, when I watch them both fall, break all their bones, and sip their food through straws.

When ever there is big money involved, and national exposure (like it is with MMA today), then it is not a Fad, but rather a revolution and here to stay. We don't nearly see as much PR about boxing today, as we did in the old days. What I find interesting, is the low purses the fighters get as compared to the top boxers. Rich Franklin only got $37k or something like that for his last fight with Silva? Do any of the top boxers in their division make that little?

James

Quote Originally Posted by sihing View Post
    We don't nearly see as much PR about boxing today, as we did in the old days.
    James
    I see just about as much as usual, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by sihing View Post
    When ever there is big money involved, and national exposure (like it is with MMA today), then it is not a Fad, but rather a revolution and here to stay. We don't nearly see as much PR about boxing today, as we did in the old days. What I find interesting, is the low purses the fighters get as compared to the top boxers. Rich Franklin only got $37k or something like that for his last fight with Silva? Do any of the top boxers in their division make that little?

James
    Its a tad similar to the early days of pro boxing, even the champs got kind of crappy pay cheques in those days.
    Thouhg considering how much many they make in pay-per-views nowadays, it wouldn't hurt them to bring that income into the fighters pockets, it will only better the sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    I am, when I watch them both fall, break all their bones, and sip their food through straws.
    You need to get away from the bunny hill...
    Sapere aude, Justin.

The map is not the Terrain.

"Wheather you believe you can, or you believe you can't...You're right." - Henry Ford