Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Alan Orr Wing Chun questions

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    Trust me there's an army of guys who are right behind my opinions.... And we all have open minds.

...as for WSL , he implied that we [wsl students] shouldnt adhere to the strict elbow drilling we go through while developing when actually FIGHTING . The elbow is our master and we are the slave to its perfection... 1cm or death as Moshe puts it so eloquently .

Philipp Bayer jokingly mentioned that Ving Tsun could be called the 'School of the Elbow'.
    Ironic, when you guys claim, or at least imply that you do not use elbow striking drills/techniques..........

Quote Originally Posted by Hardwork108 View Post
    I would not accuse Alan Orr, of all people, of having a closed mind if I were you. You just come across as silly, specially in view of the fact that you see all non-PB lineages of Wing Chun as lacking, which is also silly because just in Mainland China there are at least 7 other lineages of Wing Chun!

Alan Orr's lineage is different to mine, but the intelligent ones amongst us should respect his knowledge and lineage, and try to enhance our own knowledge by interacting with him and people like him.

I have interacted with many , you and I did too...I am aware that there are many ideas out there and some very similar to my current one, so its not lost on me to stay open minded. I may sound silly to you but Im looking at it from my perspective of technical execution of certain principles and concepts that TO ME define Ving Tsun. If I DONT see them and someone tells me in a clip 'its there you just cant see it ', and contradicts himself in the following clips.....Im saying what I see.
    I am not detracting from Alans fighting or mma records etc...just the "you cant see my WC because..." I post clips to show what I consider VT with visible tangible execution and here we are
    Last edited by k gledhill; 12-10-2011 at 09:19 AM.

Ironic, when you guys claim, or at least imply that you do not use elbow striking drills/techniques..........
    You want to risk an elbow for maybe cutting a guy across the eye, versus a punch that doesnt risk as much..thats your call...I have scars from cuts from elbows but none dropped me
    Last edited by k gledhill; 12-10-2011 at 09:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    Well, Kevin said he's coming to my Chinatown class this Sunday. He helped me get my space to teach in the East Village so it'll be good to meet him for the first time.
    It would be great for you guys to fight some exchanges.

Sadly its lost on you, for someone with an open mind it seems firmly closed so no point trying to explain....

I can share with Phil directly , I know he has an open mind to fighting ideas
    LOL!!!l Of course I am opened minded. I have 4 martial arts teachers each excellent in their field. In conditioning I have 3 teachers again all very well respected in each area of skill.

How would I be able to train in BJJ to brown belt with a closed mind?? You are a joke. I have seen first hand your style so I already know what you are talking about - I just don't agree. But unlike you I have no need to make a big thing about it. Maybe because I am not worried about people having other points of view and your case being worried about a system of wing chun you can't understand. The fact that you can not see or understand the difference in my system and why we have just a good track record - tells me me only one thing. You have a limited view point of wing chun.
    Last edited by Alan Orr; 12-10-2011 at 05:42 PM.

I would not accuse Alan Orr, of all people, of having a closed mind if I were you. You just come across as silly, specially in view of the fact that you see all non-PB lineages of Wing Chun as lacking, which is also silly because just in Mainland China there are at least 7 other lineages of Wing Chun!

Alan Orr's lineage is different to mine, but the intelligent ones amongst us should respect his knowledge and lineage, and try to enhance our own knowledge by interacting with him and people like him.
    Thank you. Yes this is the way forward for wing chun. I have many friends in other wing chun styles. We all get on very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    And there's and army that isn't. But thinking there are no answers to WC outside of your method is definitely not open minded. You learn that in any war school. Such thinking can result in some really bad surprises.
    Excellent post Phil

Quote Originally Posted by RonBlair View Post
    Isn't Phiilip the guy with the missing hand who is always chi saoing? I would like to see some sparring clips if he has any.

Hello all. My name is Ron and I'm new to kfmagazine forums. I studied wing chun under the William Cheung lineage among other styles. I'm rather enjoying this thread.
    Hi Ron have fun on the forum! best Alan

You want to risk an elbow for maybe cutting a guy across the eye, versus a punch that doesnt risk as much..thats your call...I have scars from cuts from elbows but none dropped me
    There are dead people in Thailand, because of elbow strikes to the temple. Not using an elbow because you are risking it, is like saying you don't want to use a fist, because you donīt want to break a knuckle, or have your arm broken by a counter technique.....

Again, I find it hard to believe that someone has a Wing Chun system out there that does not use the elbow as a weapon!

Actually, it would be interesting to see Alan Orrīs opinion regarding the phenomenon of "elbowless wing chun".
    Last edited by Hardwork108; 12-10-2011 at 11:12 PM.

Again, there are some elbow strikes depending on position/situation, but we prefer to go back to punching distance given it is more advantageous as you are able to flank while attacking. It's about weighing risks and benefits in the strategies you use.
    Dio perdona... Io no!

Exactly, Buddah_Fist.
    If the elbow is the closest weapon to the target and you can use it without putting yourself in a bad position, you use it.
    Michael almost knocked me out once with an elbow strike during sparring. I got too close and tried to grapple him...and boom.

@Phil and Kevin:
    I really hope you guys meet up. Friendly exchange is what we desperately need in the wing chun community.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    Again, I find it hard to believe that someone has a Wing Chun system out there that does not use the elbow as a weapon!
    have to agree with you. And i have no experience in WC. I don't know any system in MA that doesn't take the elbow inot account.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

I am thinking of another name for you right now, try your telepathic ability

Phil and I will meet if we can figure it out...I have a life and so does he you should try getting one instead of making worthless posts.

Yes I am desperate to be believed, you nailed it
    your life seems to revlove pretty much around telling others how wing chun should be done without actually showing them, nice life mate, as for the name calling well its about what i expect from you these days when your panties are in a twist

I Dont think you are desperate to be believed i think you are a classic LARPER fanboy

there used to be a few tell tell signs of larping on here lets see if you fit any of them (just for fun):
    1) no clips anywhere (check)
    2) always talking about your many street fights (check) and years on the door (check)
    3) hero worship of one master and lineage as the correct way (check)
    4) blinkered belief that your way is the only way (check)
    5) constant willingness to post about how bad other linegaes are (check)

look 5 out of 5 well done mate

You know what I am asking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    your life seems to revlove pretty much around telling others how wing chun should be done without actually showing them, nice life mate, as for the name calling well its about what i expect from you these days when your panties are in a twist

I Dont think you are desperate to be believed i think you are a classic LARPER fanboy

there used to be a few tell tell signs of larping on here lets see if you fit any of them (just for fun):
    2) always talking about your many street fights (check) and years on the door (check)

Read my mind......; )

You fit the classic troll list to the letter. You dont do vt either...you
    regularly post worthless tripe about guys not posting clips...
    ...I am not here to be popular frost, just honest open criticism.
    Last edited by k gledhill; 12-11-2011 at 06:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post

I love this post lol