Thread: Shao Lin and Wing Chun connection?

Shao Lin and Wing Chun connection?

So, it turns out that my Buddhist sigung late Ven. Sek Koh Sam is a real Buddhist monk and Shao Lin martial monk who is related to Shong san Shao Lin and Southern Shao Lin.

http://wulin.proboards31.com/index.c...4931321&page=1

I am looking for something trace able like these if anyone has the Wing Chun and Southern Shao Lin link.

Obviously, we can do similar stuffs with White Crane from Fujian. We can trace we can link even the SLT to White Crane of Fujian.

But as for Shao Lin. That is a different story. and whoever believe in the connection might want to provide the link and the supporting data and the endosement from Henan Shao Lin about a trace able ancestors link.

Why is Wing Chun not in the

The Complete Encyclopedia of Shaolin Temple Martial Arts (volume I & II) ?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    When Shi Deqian from Henan Shaolin Temple in China, came to Singapore for his book 'The Complete Encyclopedia of Shaolin Temple Martial Arts (volume I & II)", he wanted to write down Yi Zhi Mei. All the schools in Singapore worked hard together and agreed on one version of Yi Zhi Mei, which ended up in the book.

Below a translation of part of the description in the book:

"Yizhimei Quan of South Shaolin temple.

Chan Master Gaocan, originator of Southern Yizhimei (Yi Ki Muay) Quan, is responsible for spreading it. According to records in the Boxing Manuals in Songshan Shaolin temple, the source of Chinese Shaolin Kungfu, Yizhimei Quan came from Shaolin temple.

In Jiaqing time of Ming Dynasty, pirates often violated China. Southeast coast. Many times the government ordered the fighting monks of Shaolin temple to go and suppress the bandits. Some of these monks died and others were heavenly injured on their legs. The latter couldn't return and stayed in the area and started teaching to the locals. Because of their injuries they had to mainly teach arm movements and only a few kicking skills. As a result, later a saying emerged in Chinese Wushu circles called: 'Southern Punch, Northern Kick'.

Then in Qing Dynasty, a monk and his five students names Jingren, Jingliu and so on left Songshan and moved to the South, traveling through Fujian, Guanzhou, Hainan, Taiwan and Nanyue. And they deeply propagated Shaolin Kungfu. As the years went by the boxing skills from Songshan gradually changed into South Shaolin boxing. After that it spread all over China and became the best Kungfu skill in South China.

Southern Yizhimei Quan is a branch is a branch of South Shaolin Boxing. Yizhimei Quan is the evolution of Shaolin Luohanquan. Gaocan improved Yizhimei Quan over the years by long time actual combat as to make it more consummate. He started teaching in Singapore and over the years the practitioners of Yizhimei Quan numbered over the thousands. It is now famous in South-East Asia and beyond."

Smile

Check out the book 'Mastering Kung Fu' Featruing Shaolin Wing Chun by Benny Meng. The book traces the history of Wing Chun and Shaolin Kung Fu. Also Hung Fa Yi and Chi or Jee Sim lineages trace their roots to the Shaolin Temple. You might want to start there. I think there is more info on their web pages.

ROFLOL! I think he is innocent ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob8

We always can embrace different ideas.

I was just wondering...

I have seen the words "Nanyue" many times. Does this mean Vietnam? Because in Mandarin doesn't...

Yue= Viet
    Nan= South

Centuries ago, the Trieu dynasty of Vietnam called their country "Nam Viet" which is the Sino-Vietnamese version of Nanyue. Yuennan, or Vietnam, is a modern term originating during the Nguyen dynasty of Vietnam and the Qing dynasty of China.

Considering how Vietnam was a province of China for almost 4000 years, I wouldn't be surprised if the Southern Shaolin style spread into Vietnam.

Again, I was just wondering...

Vietnam = Yuenan/Yuet Nam

WingChunTao

Check your PM. Quisiera aprender la Guitarra
    Phil
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Considering how Vietnam was a province of China for almost 4000 years, I wouldn't be surprised if the Southern Shaolin style spread into Vietnam.
    http://countrystudies.us/vietnam/2.htm

1000 years under the Chinese Sun is long enough and more accurate, I think! =) 4000 years would incinerate whatever left of Vietnamese Culture. =)

WingChunTao, suffice to say opinions vary widely about MKF and its claims. A search back through forum history will bring up a number of epic flame wars on the subject which do not need to be repeated.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich
    WingChunTao, suffice to say opinions vary widely about MKF and its claims. A search back through forum history will bring up a number of epic flame wars on the subject which do not need to be repeated.
    Agreed... although I personally put more stake in the many positive opinions I've encountered from legitimate MA's in the real world.

I do remember appreciating your review though...

WingChunTao,

Take pleasure in your not being guilty of alot talk and no walk.

Where's their book?? You do the math.
    Last edited by duende; 06-30-2005 at 11:40 PM.