Thread: Has Anyone Seen This Book On Lama Pai?

Has Anyone Seen This Book On Lama Pai?

Greetings to all.

This is my first post on this forum.

I have been reading the posts here for a while, and have really enjoyed the content.

Has anyone here ever heard of, or read the book "Secret Sects of Tibetan Lama Kung Fu" by Sifu Jamal Al Bakkar? You can take a look at it on his site at the following link:

http://chinwu.com/lama.html

The book looks very interesting, but at 75.00 a copy, it's rather pricy, to say the least!

Has anyone ever heard of, or studied Lama Pai with Sifu Jamal Al Bakkar?

Thanks in advance for any feedback on this.

Quote Originally Posted by desertkruzr View Post
    The book looks very interesting, but at 75.00 a copy, it's rather pricy, to say the least!

Has anyone ever heard of, or studied Lama Pai with Sifu Jamal Al Bakkar?

Thanks in advance for any feedback on this.
    I've not heard of Sifu Jamal Al Bakkar, but that doesn't really mean anything. I would beware of a book that costs $75.00 and looks like it was published at one's home on an inkjet printer - if that is the actual photo of the cover of the book ( and why wouldn't it be?)

I'll ask my Sifu tonight, if he hasn't replied to this thread by then.....

-David

Hi,

Jamal Al Bakkar is known as a Hung Kuen practitioner.
    He has published himself several ringbounds on Hung Kuen, all expensive.
    The content of the Hung ringbounds are all sort of collected info from articles (for example from the magazines inside kf and real kungfu in the 1970s)- back then they were interesting, now with internet
    I think they are outdated and not worth the money, as there's much better info for free available in the internet.

The link you provided seems to be a ringbound too.

Has Anyone Seen This Book On Lama Pai?

Thanks David. Let me know what your Sifu Says.
    Who is your Sifu, by the way?

Thanks Great Sage of Hu. I appreciate the "heads up".
    How did you come up with the name "Great Sage of HU"? I know that HU is used as a word to chant as a mantra by certain Sufi and Yoga groups, as well as some more recent new age groups. Is this the context that you are using HU in?

Quote Originally Posted by desertkruzr View Post
    Thanks David. Let me know what your Sifu Says.
    Who is your Sifu, by the way?
    Sifu Michael Parrella ( screenname 'Lama Pai Sifu') is my Sifu. He, along with a few others on the board ( David Ross - 'lkfmdc' and Chris Jurak - 'cjurakpt'), were long time students of the late Chan Tai San. CTS was taught Lama Pai by Jih Chuyhn, who was taught by Wong Yan-Lum ( number one of the "Ten Tigers of Kwangtung") and Wong Lum-Hoi.

If what TGSoH says about the Hung Kuen books applies to the Lama Pai stuff ( collections of articles previously published) how can he get away with it? Did Sifu Jamar Al Bakkar write these articles he 'collected' into the books? It seems by the descriptions that some stuff was taken from various websites and articles - wouldn't that be a copyright infringement?

Just asking....

Anyway - I wouldn't pay $75 for stuff ( like TGSoH said) that can be found on the internet for free.... Especially when the book looks like it will fall apart if you spill some tea on it!

Hope this helps Desertkruzr
    -David

Thanks David.
    I am aware of the late Chan Tai San and his students, and think very highly of them. There is no doubt in my mind that what they are teaching is high level.
    Do you know if any in that group have made any training videos or DVDs on either Lama Pai or Choy Lei Fat (not sure if that's how you guys spell that one)? If so, I would be very interested in purchasing them. If you can find out and let me know, I would really appreciate it. I no longer live near the NYC area. I am way up in Ithaca, NY, and I am hard pressed to find good kung fu up here. I am going to post something asking the group if they know of any good instructors up this way as well.
    Thanks!

Desertkruzr,

I talked with my Sifu tonight - he has the book you asked about. I should be able to get a look at it and let you know about it. My Sifu says while there are some interesting things in there, it is not worth $75. He also said it does look like it was printed out of someones home computer setup.

Right now I don't think there are any Lama or Choy Lay Fut ( the spelling does seem to change here and there - I guess it's up to how you phoenetically derive it ) DVD's to get from the CTS group, although my Sifu has some stuff in the works. I'd rather let him talk about it if/when he gets on this thread.

Do you go to school up in Ithaca? Live there year-round? Sorry there aren't any good CMA schools near you.

-David

Thanks! I certainly don't plan on buying that book at this point! Let me know what you think of it when you've had a chance to take a look at it.
    I live up in Ithaca year round. I was transferred up here by the company that I used to work for to manage their Information Technology in their Western NY offices. I presently work for Cornell University in their Information Technology Department.
    Yes, it is a shame that I, as yet, have found no good Kung Fu instruction up this way. After being exposed to the quality of instruction in the NYC Chinatown area, it's hard to accept anything less than that.
    As I mentioned earlier, I'm going to post a new thread in the next day or two asking the group if anyone knows of any good teachers up in this area. I will also include a question inquiring about training videos/DVDs on Lama Pai, etc. That way, even those who may not be following this thread may respond if they know of anything. I would love it if there were training videos available from someone in Chan Tai San's group, such as your Sifu, since I already think very highly of their quality of instruction and material. But at this point, I'd be interested in other groups training videos on these styles as well.
    Thanks again David!

CLFLPstudent,

He reformulated things, so not breaking any copyrights. He used information from articles, so he didn't totally copy those. I think you can see the source sometimes shine through. But what I ment with it is that his Hung Kuen ringbounds won't give you any surprising or new information. (You can compare it to a primary/first years of high school paper).

With Hungga United I started the same way, but then stating the sources. As internet evolved, more info was available, it was easier to update things.
    From that point I think the ringbounds are outdated, but when they appeared a long time ago (before the internet) they mgith have been interesting.

desertkruzr,

HU stood for the website Hungga United (not online anymore), the great sage referring to the monkey king, however ironically ment, as the deeper you dive into history the more blurry it gets (stories and sages).
    Last edited by The Great Sage of HU; 01-03-2007 at 02:31 AM.

Greetings,
    This book is really a part of 3 books. I have all 3 and would be interested in sending a copy. Where are you located by the way? If you're close to Ohio I can actually show you what the books have in them as I am a practitioner of the Tibetan White Crane system under Sifu Wisniewski. I'm the Ohio connection of the Arkansas group.

Let me know the details of where you're at, distance, etc. and we can work something out...I am all for exchange of information especially when in involves the TWC system. The "Lama" system, which the book is based on, is apart of the 3 branches having their roots back to Lion's Roar Martial Arts. I personally got the book for cheaper than 75.00 but probably would have paid it now knowing the gems it contains.

Give me an e-mail
    Sifu Arya
    redlotustemple@aol.com

I would ask if you're actually a rinpoche (jokingly) but you wouldn't be on the internet if you were.

Lo Wai Keung put out 2 books

One is in english on the sword while the other is more on technqiues but it is in chinese. Its a blue book with a gold swastika on the cover. http://www.plumpub.com/images/Mini/c...i/bk_tc804.jpg
    Last time I checked you could still find it at the elizabeth street book store in NYC

here is a link to this individual
    http://www.lama-martialart.com

This is one of Chan TAi San's disciples pages (alot of great info-History, theory etc)
    http://www.lamakungfu.org/

another link with a free copy of the manuscript put together by David Ross
    http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/9358/tibetan.html
    Last edited by ngokfei; 02-06-2007 at 11:38 PM.