Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A nice film...

A nice film...

http://www.snagfilms.com/films/title...through_brick/

(2008) 52 min

A documentary about the struggle for survival of traditional art and culture in the face of a rapidly changing and modernizing world told from the perspective of time-honored Chinese Kung Fu masters.

The story explores the history, the art of Kung Fu and asks important questions about how the cultural heritage can be kept alive in a world that prefers to forget about its origins.

The sadness and tragedy conveyed in the personal stories and anecdotes of today’s last surviving traditional Kung Fu masters, along with the majesty and beauty of their skills, serve as reminders of the frailty of even the deadliest of arts.

-jo

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    People like Eric Ling, who devote their lives to seeking out these Masters, researching these rare arts, and then making it available to the masses, are to be honored for their contributions to TCMA.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Is that the same Eric Ling who posts various clips on YouTube?

yes, Eric also ran a web forum devoted to Fukien Bak Hok P'ai.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

I was trying to figure out what style he was teaching. It had some similarities to hung gar but at the same time was different.

So, I guess we know what Eric is up to these days.....how's that for a good gig.

Great flick, the SPM was pretty interesting. I haven't seen it exercised that much, and never seen similarities to Pak Mei illustrated so well before.
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

I've heard it said that at higher levels, SPM, Pak Mei and Lung Ying are indistingishable, suggesting that they have a common source.
    Lam Sang and Lam Yiu Gwai were cousins, I believe, which could shed some light on why his Jook Lum is softer and more serpentine than other lines.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

I think bak mei, yau kung mun and lung ying are indeed very, very similar. Of course practioners from each style would likely say they are different. I think it is very similar to the case with lama, hop gar and bak hok.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    I've heard it said that at higher levels, SPM, Pak Mei and Lung Ying are indistingishable, suggesting that they have a common source.
    Lam Sang and Lam Yiu Gwai were cousins, I believe, which could shed some light on why his Jook Lum is softer and more serpentine than other lines.
    I know Lam Yiu Gwai and Cheung Lai Cheun were cousins....and trained/travelled together.

I think I heard the connection between SPM and PM/LY was through a common teacher.
    Also, a lot of talk about the influence of Southern White Crane and Hakka family boxing.

Sure the Ging is obvious, more about the short arm play is what I'm seeing in this.
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng

Quote Originally Posted by CLFNole View Post
    I think bak mei, yau kung mun and lung ying are indeed very, very similar. Of course practioners from each style would likely say they are different. I think it is very similar to the case with lama, hop gar and bak hok.
    Yea, I know what you mean. To the outside its all the same, but inside, it looks like a whole different style.
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng

nice post.....

Thanks hui.

There are no secrets, only hard work.

-jo

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    People like Eric Ling, who devote their lives to seeking out these Masters, researching these rare arts, and then making it available to the masses, are to be honored for their contributions to TCMA.
    DITTO!!!

the wealth of clips, knowledge, images, pdfs people lile Eric share ....

If you haven't already .... bookmark Eric's youtube channel!

Jo: Many thanks for sharing the clip

Much respect!
    Last edited by 5thBrother; 05-14-2010 at 05:43 AM.
    Supporter: The Australasian Martial Arts & Self Defence Forums - http://www.OzMAForums.com

I posted this on the other thread about this video:
    Finally managed to see the whole thing.
    I liked it.
    The feiyu shows were a nice touch, eh Gene?
    LOL !
    So, the problem with TCMA is that it is too hard, too much hard work and kids are not interested.
    Yet, they are interested in Wushu, who's training is just as hard, if not harder, physically.
    Kung fu takes too long to learn to be good at, unlike other systems like MT, boxing and such.
    These are valid critiques of HOW kung fu is taught, NOT the problem with kung fu.
    These old people that were complaining ARE the problem, they don't seem to realize that they are the reason their kung fu may die.

Kung fu is NOT too hard to learn nor does it take too long to be good at it, this is a big load of BS !
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    These are valid critiques of HOW kung fu is taught, NOT the problem with kung fu.
    These old people that were complaining ARE the problem, they don't seem to realize that they are the reason their kung fu may die.

Kung fu is NOT too hard to learn nor does it take too long to be good at it, this is a big load of BS !
    Sanjuro Ronin,

Do you have some suggestions on how to teach and train people to a high proficiency in less time? I am not saying I disagree with you, more that I am curious on your viewpoint.
    -Golden Arms-