Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Was Wong Fei Hung A Muslim?...

Was Wong Fei Hung A Muslim?...

I'm not saying I believe it, but I did find this on a Silat forum so I thought I'd ask. The original's in Malay or Indonesian, so I used the translate feature. Since this is a Chinese martial arts forum, I figured this'd be the place to ask. Does anyone know if it's true?

"Wong Fei Hung A Muslim
    By Pendekar Temasek

So far we only know as a hero Wong Fei Hung Kung fu in the film
    Once Upon A Time in China . In the film , the character played Wong Fei Hung
    by famous Hong Kong actor Jet Li . But who the Wong Fei Hung ?

Wong Fei Hung

Wong Fei Hung was a cleric , Expert Perubatan , and experts whose names are legendary Martial designated as a National Hero of China by China's government . But China's government often blurs identity seeks
    Wong Fei Hung as a Muslim in order to maintain the image of Communist rule in
    China.

Wong Fei - Hung was born in 1847 in the Kwantung ( Guandong ) family of devout Muslims . Name Fei Wong Fei Hung in a dialect
    Canton to mention the name Arabs , Fais . While Hung 's name is also a dialect
    Cantonese to refer to the Arabic name , Hussein . So , when in - arabic - language - right ,
    Faisal Hussein's name is Wong.

His father , Wong Kay- Ying was a Clergy, and traditional healers penrubatan scientist , as well as martial arts expert
    Traditional China ( wushu / kung fu ) . His father owned a clinic perubatan
    named Po Chi Lam in Canton (the capital of Guandong ) . Wong Kay- Ying was a
    scholars who master the science of high-level wushu . Wong altitude martial arts
    Kay - Ying made him known as one of the Ten Tigers of Kwantung .
    Tigers of Kwantung this position later passed on to Wong Fei Hung .

The combination of knowledge of traditional science and engineering perubatan martial and supported by the magnanimity as a Muslim character makes
    Wong's family often intervened to help the people weak and oppressed in
    period. That's why people have great respect and idolize Kwantung
    Wong family .

Pesakit clinic Wong family who ask for help perubatan generally come from the poor who can not afford to pay boarding
    perubatan . Even so , families still help each pesakit Wong who came
    seriously . Wong's family did not discriminate in helping ,
    regardless of race, ethnicity or religion, all assisted without favoritism. In
    rahsia , Wong family are actively involved in the underground movement against
    Ch'in Dynasty reign of rasuah and oppressors . Ch'in Dynasty is the dynasty
    which destroy the power of Yuan Dynasty who ruled before. Yuan Dynasty
    This is known as the only dynasty Chinese emperor family members
    many who embraced Islam.

Wong Fei - Hung beginning to hone talent beladirinya since learning from Luk Ah- Choi who has also been a teacher
    father. Luk Ah- Choi was later taught him the basics of Hung Gar stance
    Fei Hung makes triumphant birth Kick Kick Without a Shadow
    become lagenda . Basics of Hung Gar stance discovered, developed and
    is the mainstay of Hung Hei- Kwun , brother seperguruan Luk Ah- Choi . Hung
    Hei- Kwun is a Shaolin warrior who is independent of the combustion event
    and massacres by government Ch'in Dynasty in 1734 .

Hung Hei- Kwun This is a historic uprising leader who nearly beat dynasty
    Ch'in invaders who came from Manchuria (now we know him as
    Korea) . If only the government did not ask for help Ch'in forces
    armed foreign nations (Russia , England , Jepun ) , the rebellion led Hung
    Hei- Kwun it would triumph expel the occupation nescaya Ch'in Dynasty .

After learning from Luk Ah- Choi , Wong Fei - Hung and then sit under until his own father in his early 20s years, he has become expert
    perubatan and leading martial . he even developed it into triumph
    more advanced . Ability beladirinya increasingly difficult match when he succeeded
    create a new stance that is very tactical but efficiently so-called Kick- Claw
    Tiger and Kick- Nine Special Punches . In addition to empty-handed , Wong
    Fei - Hung is also adept at using various weapons . Canton community ever
    directly witnessed with their own eyes how he was alone
    by just holding the club triumphed killed more than 30 people champ
    port burly and cruel at Canton that he karana mengeroyoknya
    defend the poor people who will they squeeze .

In family life , God a lot of testing with various temptations . A child was killed in
    an incident of a fight with the mafia Canton . Wong Fei - Hung married three times
    because of his wives died within a short age . After the third wife
    died , Wong Fei - Hung decided to live alone until then he
    Mok Gwai Lan met , a young woman who happened to be an expert
    martial . Mok Gwai Lan was later to become her life partner until the end
    life. Mok Gwai Lan also teaches martial arts in a special class of women in
    college of her husband.

In 1924 Wong Fei - Hung died at the age of 77 years . Chinese society , especially in Kwantung and Canton remember him as
    heroic defender of the mustad'afin ( oppressed ) who never afraid to defend
    their honor . Anyone and any number of people who oppress people
    poor , will be resisted with all his strength and courage
    Fei - Hung dimilikinya.Wong died by leaving a good name that
    make it known as a noble human life , one life choices
    given by God to die a Muslim other than Shahid . May all
    charity received in worship with Allah Ta'ala and hopefully all the goodness into
    an example to us , generation Muslims who live afterwards. Amiin .
    Tags : fei, hung, wong
    "
    I was on the metro earlier, deep in meditation, when a ruffian came over and started causing trouble. He started pushing me with his bag, steadily increasing the force until it became very annoying. When I turned to him, before I could ask him to stop, he immediately started hurling abuse like a scoundrel. I performed a basic chin na - carotid artery strike combination and sent him to sleep. The rest of my journey was very peaceful, and passersby hailed me as a hero - Warrior Man

no, i am afraid it is not true, kind of fantastic theory with no evidence

Wong Feihung's first biography was written in 1933 by his second generation student Jyu Yujai (student of Lam Saiwing, who studied under Wong Feihung form 20 years). none of the old and new Chinese/Hong Kong sources mentions that Wong Feihung was a Hui (ie. Chinese Muslim). my sigung has studied with Lam Saiwing (his uncle) from 1916 to 1943, i am sure that Lam Saiwing would mention something like this to him. (and btw. Lam Saiwing's nickname was Jyu Yu Wing, ie. "Porky Wing", as he worked as a butcher when he was young. he brought pork meat to Wong Feihung on regular basis)

---

however, Chinese Muslim martial arts are very famous in China, check out eg.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muslim_...e_martial_arts

but Hung Kyun is not the case, although today it is practiced by people of all races, nationalities and religions

all the best
    PM

Practical Hung Kyun 實用洪拳

www.practicalhungkyun.com

Yeah, I figured it was pretty fantastic. I was like "this can't be true, there aren't any Hui in Canton". So I brought it to the one place where I knew I could get the truth.

Thanks, PM.
    I was on the metro earlier, deep in meditation, when a ruffian came over and started causing trouble. He started pushing me with his bag, steadily increasing the force until it became very annoying. When I turned to him, before I could ask him to stop, he immediately started hurling abuse like a scoundrel. I performed a basic chin na - carotid artery strike combination and sent him to sleep. The rest of my journey was very peaceful, and passersby hailed me as a hero - Warrior Man

What a comic book.

By the time WFH died, he was not a popular guy in the martial arts circle.

A hero he was not, for what reasons the times would speak for itself.

A muslim, hard to even believe it to warrent a question on the forum.

Look at the forms and names that was passed down.

LOL at claiming he was a Muslim... he clearly was NOT

If you want to look at a real TCMA hero who was Muslim, just look at Chang Dung Sheng....

But then again, look at him and things he did compared to Wong Fei Hung and you can clearly see that Wong was NOT Muslim
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

I apologize Once Ronin if I offended you by posting the question. You're right, I should have just googled Wong Fei Hung to find out what style he practiced and all the other particulars. I guess I just didn't think it would be that big a deal. I'll be more careful in the future.

Hi faruq,

This is really weird because I don't have a FREAKIN' CLUE as to where I got that from. I am going to have to retract that.

mickey

ps meditation can really do some weird things.

Qing after Ming not Yuan. Only off by a mere few hundred years...

(there are definitely Hui in Canton though)

No.

-----------------------------------------
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Wong Fei Hung A Muslim
    I don't think so!

Quote Originally Posted by B.Tunks View Post
    Qing after Ming not Yuan. Only off by a mere few hundred years...

(there are definitely Hui in Canton though)
    Are there any styles the Hui in Canton are known to practice?

Faruq - there are many styles of CMA adopted, developed or practiced by Chinese Muslims. Hung gar is not one of them. Correcting this misunderstanding is no big deal. Relax. I've noticed a lot of this kind of thing - like the story that Neil Armstrong 'discovered' Mecca was the center of the Universe when he was in space. That never happened either. Some folks spread crazy rumors - you did the smart thing to ask around for proof.

Correcting 'facts' that really spurious statements created to take advantage of peoples credulity is in no way a personal attack. If anything, getting the info helps you speak with accuracy from the folks who know. I don't think anyone was 'upset' by your question or are upset with you. Really.
    www.kungnation.com

Pre-order Kung! Twisted Barbarian Felony from your favorite comic shop!

Quote Originally Posted by Faruq View Post
    Are there any styles the Hui in Canton are known to practice?
    The Hui people are a large minority ethnic group in China.
    They are muslim and number some 10 million with most of them living across the northern provinces stretching eastward from northwestern china, where canton isn't.
    They speak chinese, but Islam is very ingrained into their culture and they also use farsi in their everyday speak to each other.

In all the stories, true or embellished that these simple facts are not reflected in regards to Huang fei hung speaks enough.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

There are muslims in every single province including Guangdong. Sure, not as many as some other regions but they are definitely there (over 200,000 of them in fact) and can especially be found in the food industry and markets and are also widely exploited as cheap labour in the textiles industry (that's why there are so many in Shenzhen). Guangzhou is where islam was introduced to China in the Tang Dynasty and Huaisheng mosque is one of the oldest in the country.

Chinese muslims practice many martial arts (often whatever the regional specialty is) but traditionally they favour cha quan, xinyiliuhe, baji, tongbi, pigua. You will find the populations in Shandong, Henan and Hebei more actively practicing the muslim styles. They are some of the best in China.

BT
    Last edited by B.Tunks; 07-15-2010 at 02:38 AM.

Yeah, I knew about the Muslims in the North and the styles they practiced because there was an article several years back about them in Kung Fu Magazine dot com. I just didn't know there were Hui in Canton and Guangzhou, and thought if they were native to those two southern regions they might practice different arts. I guess you guys are saying the Hui there are just immigrants from the North and practice the Northern styles though, hunh?

And and interesting story about the Hui. A lady who worked a t an office I did a developmental detail at a few years back came up to me really friendly and introduced herself. She asked me if I was a Muslim and told me her people were Muslims too, from Taiwan if I remember correctly. She was so nice to me (though everyone else said she was usually a grouch and tried not to interact with her) that she brought me a gift on my last day: a Vietnamese pork sandwich. She then said "oh but you probably don't eat pork though, do you? I guess I'll have to eat it myself..." lol