Thread: International Wing Chun Day 2011

International Wing Chun Day 2011

On Saturday, March 19th, International Wing Chun Day educates millions worldwide about Wing Chun's benefits and raises awareness about local classes. It promotes the art of Wing Chun in all its forms including Wing Tsun, WingTsun, Ving Tsun, Jeet Kune Do, JKD, Weng Chun, Yong Chun, Jun Fan Gung Fu, Hung Fa Yi, Shaolin Wing Chun, Wing Tzun, Wing Tjun, Vinh Xuan, TsunJo Wing Chun, Wing Chun Do, Xiong Jiang Wing Chun, Black Flag Wing Chun and many more.

Tell us your ideas and what you are planning to promote Wing Chun in your community.

---

International Wing Chun Day Facebook Page

i thought 4th of july was ving tsun day or is that just the yip man line

The 4th of July was known as Ving Tsun Day due to the founding of the Ving Tsun Athletic Association on this day in 1967. However, up until 2010, there was no International Wing Chun Day for all lineages to promote the art on a unified front. With July 4th being such a big holiday in the US, the 3rd Saturday in March of each year was chosen.

The purpose of the day is not just to practice Wing Chun as this can be done every day. Rather it is to promote and raise awareness of our art and its many lineages, styles, modifications, spellings, etc.

International Wing Chun Day? Never heard of it. Not a bad idea though. I'm up for any excuse to get together with other WC people. It's kinda short notice.... but maybe enough time to get a potluck together at a park. The trouble is that a lot of the WC people don't particularly like to socialize with other WC groups. I never did understand that.

Actually I celebrate my Independence Day on July 8th. For it was on July 8th, 2008 that I gained my freedom...............my divorce was finalized.
    Peace,

Dave

http://www.sifuchowwingchun.com
    Wherever my opponent stands--they are in my space

Wait, JKD is considered a sub family of Wing Chun?
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

Last year, our group had a demo in the local park. My students demonstrated some drills, blindfolded sparring and brought a wooden dummy to show the form. To get the word out, we got small posters made and hung them up at local businesses. We also let the local newspapers know about the event. This is just one idea. Regardless what you plan, with 2 weeks until the day, if you start now, there should be just enough time to make it successful.

Quote Originally Posted by RedJunkRebel View Post
    This is just one idea. Regardless what you plan, with 2 weeks until the day, if you start now, there should be just enough time to make it successful.
    I remember supporting this on Facebook last year and it did get quite a good following. Would be even better if raised money was attached to a joint charity or something, but you're always competing with Comic Releif in the UK this time of year.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    I remember supporting this on Facebook last year and it did get quite a good following. Would be even better if raised money was attached to a joint charity or something, but you're always competing with Comic Releif in the UK this time of year.
    You're right, Spencer. There was about 1100 people who joined in support through Facebook last year. Teaming up with a charity is a good idea.

Here is the event page on Facebook where people have RSVP'ed that they are "attending" International Wing Chun day. "Attending" simply means that they will be honoring the day locally in their individual communities.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/event.php?eid=324286172294