Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Zatoichi

Zatoichi

The Zatoichi films---the Japanese series about the blind masseur/swordsman Zatoichi, are starting to be released on DVD. The first two episodes of the series (which started in the early 60's) are out now. I had never seen these before, but they're pretty cool and I'd definitely recommend them---a different tone, but almost on par with the Kurosawa/Mifune pics. I guess they're planning on 17 DVD releases of this popular series.

And I guess Beethoven couldn't write great sounding music either after he lost his hearing.

Peace.

Hey......yeah........a blind man COULDN"T really do that..........

OK, that does it. I'm gonna go through my movie collection, and I'm throwing away all the movies with unrealistic fight scenes!

Indeed. Well, to each his own---I thought the first movie was quite cool. For anyone interested, here's a small review of the first of the series:

http://www.dvdjournal.com/quickrevie...ichi01.q.shtml

I like the Zatoichi flicks.

Breathe slowly, Stumblefist...find your safe place...no-one is going to harm you...
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

ZOTACHI

ZOTACHI films are the best. I have about 10 of them on VHS and watch them all the time the fight scenes are great. And to just let you know that the Zotachi series was Bruce Lee's favorite shows to watch. Check out the American version - Blind Fury, staring Rutger Hauer released in 1990 by Tri-Star Pictures

Joe

stumblefist, you are obviously delusional. You've named some good movies, and they are indeed good stuff. But not one of them is real. 0.00% real. 100% fiction. Entirely imaginary. False. A fantasy. Fictional.

NOT REAL!

Just like Zatoichi.

Now take your lithium and see a shrink.

FWIW, Yojimbo and Sanjuro are both comedies, with Mifune spoofing his own image.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

Zatoichi is my favorite MA series of all time. I've only seen about 3 of them total and i'm already a huge fan. Shintaro Katsu is a great actor and my only problem with the series is the annoying voices that they choose for the dubbing of the many Japanese children that appear in the show. What more could you ask for? Great acting, sword fighting and good story lines which is quite a feat especially back in the 60's.

I can't comment on the whole series, but as for the first Zatoichi movie---I've watched it 3 times since I got it and I think it's brilliant. The final shot of Zatoichi in the foreground taking the long way through the woods, while in the distant background we see the tiny figure of the lonely woman on the road waiting for him---awesome filmmaking.

As far as Kurosawa, I know most critics list Seven Samurai and Yojimbo as among the best, but I think The Hidden Fortress might be my favorite---just an incredibly fun movie.

Thumbs up New Zatoichi film coming out

If any of you have seen any of the original Zatoichi: The Blind Swordsman you know how sweet those movies are. Apparently they are making a new one. I haven't found much on it, but here is a link to the trailer:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/miramax/zatoichi.html

If you have not seen the originals I suggest you go right out to suncoast and buy them (or at least rent them), because they are badass movies.

It's made.

It was out over here last year.

Haven't seen it yet, might rent it tonight!
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

****, can you buy it on dvd in japan then?

I really want to see it. I highly recomend the originals.

On saturday on the IFC (Independant film channel) They have all the old samurai movies on and zatoichi is one of them. I would recommend watching zatoichi he's awesome

Yeah thats where I saw them all on IFC samurai saturdays.

I want to see the new one though

Can you give the name of (or even better, a link to) the new one, in either English or Japanese?