Page 31 of 34 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: Training BLOG

So, after a week off, my forearm and hip felt much better and I was all set to come on back. At which point my left leg swelled up in a very nasty manner. I spent the last week on antibiotics as it slowly went down. The doctor thinks it's the result of a spider bite, although my lack of superhuman strength and agility makes me skeptical.

Trained again on Friday, though, as it was sore but bearable then. Antibiotics seriously wipe me out, I was so tired I was shaking by the end of class. Still tappin' peeps, though. I'm getting a lot of armbars off of failed triangle attempts.
    "hey pal, you wanna do the dance of destruction with the belle of the ball, just say the word." -apoweyn

3/22

Late meeting at work, so I only caught the tail end of Muay Thai. Kicking and clinching drills.

Grappling we did a lot of rotation guard work, where we start in guard, with one guy trying to pass and the other to sweep or submit. Once it happens, which ever one succeeded goes to his back and someone else jumps in his guard. Did the same thing with mount, with one person trying to sub, the other to escape.

Wrestling class was just openmat tonight; Tim has a wrestling tournament next weekend and Jay is fighting in Reality Fighting the weekend after, so we're more focused on getting them prepared.
    Last edited by FatherDog; 03-24-2004 at 11:08 AM.
    "hey pal, you wanna do the dance of destruction with the belle of the ball, just say the word." -apoweyn

4/15

gym - circuit training

MT

combinations and pad drills

Last week's entries will all be fairly undescriptive, like this one, as my memory is bad today, and I can't recall in detail what all went on...
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

4/16

gym - chest / legs

bjj -

drills, calesthenics and half guard escapes.

I had to work late, and only made it to bjj.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

4/17

gym - arms

MT

elbow work, lots of drills and calesthenics

bjj

mount escapes

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

4/18

gym - lats / shoulders

judo -

Awesome class after moving uchi komis, we did about 45 mins straight of randori. I moved better than I've ever seen myself do, which was motivating. I got off some nice counters and a decent tai otoshi. I need to attack more with my harai and tai though - I'm used to countering those techniques with tani otoshi ( I do that all the time) and so I'm cautious, that way I don't get caught with it.

bjj -

mount escapes again. I'm glad for that though, as mine suck.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

4/22

gym - circuit training

MT

Knees, knees, pad drills and did I mention knees?

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

I just realized I was using 4 as the month instead of 3. Ah well...

3/23

gym - legs / chest

no judo - worked late and couldn't make it.

bjj - knee on belly and various submissions from it - straight arm bar, clock choke and a clock choke variation.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

I blame fatherdog - he started with the fake aprilosity.

Anyway, you can both go back and correct it with your edit buttons.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

Hey, it was his fault, wasn't it? STONE HIM!!!

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

I'm a little late. I guess I'll start with last night.

Training Kung Fu from 6pm to 9pm. Taught class 6-8. Went over alot kicking. Helped students individually with Chin Na's towards the end of class. After class at 8, did reaction drills with a classmate then did 40 sidekicks on the new bag. It has water in this one. So it seems to absorb power better than the previous Kwon and Ringside brand of bags that we have ripped up from kicking it. Then practiced some Iaido for an hour on my own.

Tonight have to teach again. I'm gonna try to get in some lifting to work on my shoulder rehab after class. For tonight's class I'm gonna concentrate on reaction drills with the class. Later try to go over my Mantis and Saber forms for the last half hour of class. Then kick the new heavy bag again. Then work on more of my Iaido and prepare for tomorrow's Iaido class that I have to leave and drive out to when sparring class is over. There hasn't been too many people showing up for sparring last week. I hope people will come tomorrow night for sparring. I need a beating and hit people. I almost got knocked out a couple weeks ago by Paul who's a real heavy hitter. He caught me off guard when I was just about to punch him. Hit me in the left side of my head and I lost my balance for a moment and I stumbled to the right. And the left side of my vision was like black for a few seconds and saw some sparks. I hope Aaron will show up for sparring tomorrow night as well. He hasn't been showing up for a couple weeks. He's really good at throwing me down and I'm fairly not easy to take down. Basic stances usually saves me. He's not easy to throw either and there was this one time I was close to throwing him but he countered me bashed me in the head a few times with his fist. So I look foward to sparring with him to work in some more techniques. And a number of others. But I guess I'll tell all about my sparring session on Friday after Thursday night.

Originally posted by SevenStar
    Hey, it was his fault, wasn't it? STONE HIM!!!
    Dave's not here, man...

3/23

Eddy and Emilio are heading out to Grappler's Quest West in Vegas on Thursday, so it was all grappling today. Did a drill where the active guy starts from any top position, the timekeeper shouts out a body part and he has ten seconds to get a tap on that body part. Coming out of that, we worked two hiplocks, and a new setup for the side-choke from side control (my favorite submission right now).

3/24

gym - arms

MT

we had two BIG new guys tonight, so we kept things pretty basic. Basic punching combos, intro to shadow boxing, etc. It was a decent workout though, as always.

BJJ

drills - arm dragging, pummeling, arm drag to single leg, duck unders.

various calisthenics, as usual. We did takedowns, no gi - 2 min rounds. I threw one of the purple belts - our main coach - with an uchi mata. Beautiful. I didn't get too much else on him, especially after that though. The li'l bugger is slippery...

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

3/26

Alternated between rolling five minutes and drilling for five minutes, I think about six or seven times. Did some light MMA sparring, three or four rounds. It was interesting trying to keep it standing against some people and take it to the ground against others - switching mindsets based on where I figured our relative strengths were.