Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just started in the Wah Lum lineage..

Just started in the Wah Lum lineage..

Greetings,

Today I met with Sifu Sam Smith of the Wah Lum Praying Mantis under Pui Chan. He trained for 6 years, at 8 hours a day and I have the pleasure of studying under him at his new school here in Kentucky. I'm getting a great deal at 75 a month for all the classes a week I can stand going to - and full use of the facilities to train whenever they're open.

I started out in MA when I was about 7 and I took TKD but dropped it 3 belts in, and regrettably - I never had another chance untill now. But as of late I've gotten way out of shape (and fat) so I'm hoping this will help get me back to where I want.

Just decided I'd let you guys know, oh and I'd like to hear some opinions on the lineage/Sifu. I've already been informed he's very highly qualified and recommended.

Oh, and just in case you're wondering - it's monkey footwork.

Do a search.. Chan Pui and Wahlum has been talked about in depth here.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

Hi Mediocrity, welcome to Wah Lum! You'll definitely get in shape, the system has an emphasis on conditioning. And yup, it's monkey footwork.
    There is a great streak of violence in every human being. If it is not channeled and understood, it will break out in war or in madness. ~Sam Peckinpah

I used to train in Wah Lum for a couple years back in 93' - 96'. It's definitely a good work out that will bring you back into shape.

Congratulations Mediocrity! As SaMantis said, you will certainly get into good shape. Expect to be challenged mentally and physically. Nice hand forms and a very wide variety of weapons offered.

Was Shifu Smith a Professional student at the Temple? And where in Kentucky are you guys?

Good luck!
    I am still a student practicing - Wang Jie Long

"Don`t Taze Me Bro"

I'm assuming he was - his school is listed on the wah lum website.

And we're located in the BG area - not too far for you nashville folks. Stop by and say Hi sometime. I officially sign up today.

Thanks for the support, guys

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    Good Luck, Mediocrity !

hey, you ever go caving???

btw, nice website there, yu shan !!!
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Caving? Nah... I like being above ground :P

Oh, I know Sifu told me that the Plum Flower Poles are advanced forms of training - but could I as a beginner benefit from them? As in setting up my own and practicing forms and stuff on them?

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    just curious since you are in Bowling Green. Almost moved there a while back to go to school. The only college in the US with a caving sciences degree...

back to the topic...

never done the poles but I think a natural progession would be spots on the ground then maybe coffee cans.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

poles

As a beginner, I see no harm in praticing your stances on them. You might start out by just walking them at first to get the feel.

Oso, thank you for the kudos on my website. She is baby stage right now, more to come. I`m happy with the way it turned out. BTW, you spelunkers are crazy!
    I am still a student practicing - Wang Jie Long

"Don`t Taze Me Bro"

Sifu Sam Smith was a professional student at the Wah Lum Temple in Orlando. He's a certified instructor of the Wah Lum System.

Mediocrity
    When you sign up at a school you put your training in the hands of your Sifu. There is a wealth of information on this forum and also a wide range of opinions concerning training. As a beginner you should stick with what your Sifu tells you to do until you know enough to supplement your training.

I had a student that had trouble with the leg workouts and the training in general. I wondered why he wasn't improving like the rest. Then I found out he was hitting the gym and wearing himself out with weights. Especially his legs. By the time he came to class he couldn't do much.

Let your Sifu decide if and when you should do pole training and other exercises.

Thanks for the advice, I meant to ask him during the morning class but never got around to it.

Like it was said - I'd probably just start out on coffee cans and slowly build height up.

MAN class was tough after all that time of misuse of muscles. It burned like all hell... but I feel strangely uplifted and good now. I learned 5 of the 8 Basic Horse Stances... I know it doesn't seem like much... but im just a beginner here

oooh god no wah lum.........

jk. good luck and have fun with it. like they said you'll get a good workout.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Well... I did get a good work out.

Let's just say that 2 classes in a day wasn't meant for people to take both... especially at first :P I feel good but tired.

But I do know all 8 basic horse stances.

Originally posted by Mediocrity
    Well... I did get a good work out.

Let's just say that 2 classes in a day wasn't meant for people to take both... especially at first :P I feel good but tired.

But I do know all 8 basic horse stances.
    2 classes (im guessing 2 hours too) a day? oh man. jiayo jiayo!
    more more more! 2 hours a day is minimum i do.

you have to show me the 7 other horse stances, I only know 1.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.