Thread: Shaolin Monks in SW USA?

Hybrid View

arizona

Xiao teaches in Phoenix along with Li Jinheng.
    http://www.masterli.com/xiao-1.htm

i've met li jinheng, and he is a very nice guy, and his kung fu is good.
    There you can study either traditional shaolin, modern wushu, or both based on your interests and needs. good luck

Oasis,
    Thank you for the information. I too have met Li Jinheng and his kung fu is very good. He has a lot more schools than I remember. If I can ask, where do you train or in what style?
    Blah, blah, blah...

The website's in my profile I study shaolin kung fu in New Orleans with Shawn Liu (De Ru), a disciple of Shi Su Xi. I also study taiji with him. We do Yang and Chen styles.

Where are you specifically planning on moving to/practicing? and what tcma do you study?

So far I have found only Master Li and Xiao for Wushu and Shaolin Kung Fu in Arizona. I have found other schools that advertise that they teach chinese 'kung fu' but well let's just say don't bother.

There are some Wing Chun schools in the AZ area that seem pretty good but Wing Chun is not what I am interested in studying at this point.

Master Li's main school is in bad area. I think that is the only location of his that he teaches. There are other schools where his students teach. I have seen one of them teaching in Scottsdale and I was impressed. The only problem with that school is they are practicing in a small room with about 10-20 students. It's not the best for swinging weapons around.

I believe that the Shaolin is only taught at his main location on Sunday's. I am going there this Sunday to check it out. I am hoping Master Xiao teaches more than 1 day a week though.
    Last edited by Theoderic; 04-08-2005 at 11:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Theoderic
    So far I have found only Master Li and Xiao for Wushu and Shaolin Kung Fu in Arizona. I have found other schools that advertise that they teach chinese 'kung fu' but well let's just say don't bother.

There are some Wing Chun schools in the AZ area that seem pretty good but Wing Chun is not what I am interested in studying at this point.

Master Li's main school is in bad area. I think that is the only location of his that he teaches. There are other schools where his students teach. I have seen one of them teaching in Scottsdale and I was impressed. The only problem with that school is they are practicing in a small room with about 10-20 students. It's not the best for swinging weapons around.

I believe that the Shaolin is only taught at his main location on Sunday's. I am going there this Sunday to check it out. I am hoping Master Xiao teaches more than 1 day a week though.
    those "don't bother"s you're talking about are really good at what they do, if you're thinking of the soft stylists. I know of them by reputation only. the shaolin deciple you reference might know them, they too are in the phoenix area. there's probably a reason why those soft stylists were considered *evil* by Shaolin in the moderate past.

theoderic...

good luck with your search. let us know how the class goes sunday. as for the other location and the low ceilings, did u ask how they train weapons? at my school's current place, until we move to a better location, the ceilings are too low for staff forms, so we actually practice out in the parking lot with no problems. perhaps the scottsdale school does the same

One school I just found is http://www.shaolinarizona.com/default.aspx

I don't know much about it so if any of you devote shaolin practioners can look at it....

The schools around here that advertise 'kung fu' and tai chi are pretty bad. I have watched there classes and the styles look pathetic and they end teaching several arts, aikido, hapkido, tae kwon do, long fist...... Then watching them spar...well....pretty bad.

The Scottsdale location for Master Li is at http://www.azwado.com/html/body_the_center.html

It is a karate school that now offers 3 different rooms where several different arts are taught. Its a very unique and interesting place.