Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tong Bei

Tong Bei

Will be starting tong bei set soon, 3rd form after xiao hong, and da hong, in 10 shaolin set system.

always like to do my research before i begin something new, if anyone has access to any clips of tong bei (hopefully similar set from the 10 shaolin system, or even from any other tong bei practitioners) so i can get a taste for what i can look forward to.

thanks to you.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

Try doing a google or yahoo video search for tong bei quan. I know they have some.

What are the 10 Shaolin sets?

1.xiao hong quan
    2.da hong quan
    3.tong bei quan
    4.liu he
    5.tai tzu
    6.(cant remember name)
    7.seven star (mantis)
    8.plum blossom
    9.gun (or cannon) boxing
    10.arhat (five animals) boxing

sorry i cant remember the name of the 6th set. something about protecting your vitals.

i know tong bei is a style within its self, i am looking for the set that is used for this particualr 10 set system. doubt ill find it tho
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"

No, seriously. Go to yahoo video search and type in tong bei quan. There's a video of a kid doing it from a monk's school. I've also seen a video of Shi De Yang doing it on yahoo or google video search.

The name of the form you're missing is Changhu xinyimen.
    The Seven stars form as it appears in these ten forms is not a mantis form, it is a quite unique form with some strange hand positions.
    Tongbiquan is one of the funnest forms in these sets. It ends with a big triple jump kick combo. So cool.
    Enjoy.

ok, will do. thanks for the heads up.
    ~Sima Qian

~PangQuan

Shaolin Tong Bei is not the same as the
    Various Tong bei styles (Bai Yuan, etc) you will see on the internet.

Shaolin Tong Bei is named after someone (Han Tong, who was killed by Emperor Tai Zu, when he first took ever the throne, even though they were friends),

the Da and Xiao Shaolin Tong Bei forms are not exhibited the "fan through the back"
    mechanics seen in the other Tong Bei Styles, although there is some element of it.

This Shaolin Tong Bei is derived from Xiao and Da Hong Quan mostly, maybe some Pao Quan too.

Thank you Sal.

do you know of any resources that document, or gallerize any of the Shaolin Tong Bei?
    ~Sima Qian

~PangQuan

Well, these forms are well documented both on paper and on video.

You can get videos of the forms from the Shaolin section of www.WLE.com http://www.wle.com//products/vsbx02.html

and you can get VCDs of the forms from

http://www.plumpub.com/

or from

www.cmaod.com

What Shaolin teaches is often called Tong Bi to differentiate it from Tong Bei style
    Last edited by Sal Canzonieri; 05-08-2006 at 12:00 PM.

non-Shaolin tongbei is also sometimes called tongbi, the words for back (bei) and arm (bi/bei) are cognate in chinese

jingwu man, and Sal

thank you for the wonderful clarification on these sets.

this information will help my personal studies greatly.

thanks again!

~Sima Qian

~PangQuan

The most traditional vcd shaolin series is the one
    called "Genuine Shaolin", which is from the late Shi De Gen's line.

You can find the forms that you do there done without the
    modern wushu influence that is seen today in most shaolin.

go to the Shaolin section at www.cmaod.com or www.plumbpub.com
    and look for the "genuine shaolin" series.

Quote Originally Posted by PangQuan
    Will be starting tong bei set soon, 3rd form after xiao hong, and da hong, in 10 shaolin set system.

always like to do my research before i begin something new, if anyone has access to any clips of tong bei (hopefully similar set from the 10 shaolin system, or even from any other tong bei practitioners) so i can get a taste for what i can look forward to.

thanks to you.
    hello,

this is my friend's site it has links to wuxing tongbei clips of sparring, interesting.

www.chli371.com
    this is not shaolin tong bei but bai yuan.
    Last edited by Anisole; 05-10-2006 at 04:29 PM.

if i was looking at the right ones, its the first time i've seen any shaolin stuff with applications. not all had them but a few did. Sal have seen any of these????
    A BJJ player and notorious pimp, Da Big Deezy, in the Crenshaw district tried to "raise up" and "slap a ho" ..... I impaled him with my retractible naginata. I wish there were more groundfighters in the world. They make my arsenal that much more deadly. - john takeshi

LIKE FROG IN WELL LOOKING UP AT SKY,THINKING SEE ALL WORLD. - truthman

Quote Originally Posted by gwa sow
    if i was looking at the right ones, its the first time i've seen any shaolin stuff with applications. not all had them but a few did. Sal have seen any of these????

What "these" are you referering to?

the vcds or the clips from that site?