Tai chi's unlikely disciple
After leaving his US home behind 14 years ago, Jake Pinnick has dedicated his life to the sacred ways of Wudang Mountain

Updated: 2024-02-20 09:36

Jake Pinnick is a renowned practitioner and instructor of Wudang Sanfeng martial arts on Wudang Mountain in Hubei province. WU ZHIZUN/XINHUA
As dawn breaks over Wudang Mountain in Central China's Hubei province, a tall figure is silhouetted against the 600-year-old Yuxu Gong Temple, also known as the Jade Void Temple, brandishing a gleaming tai chi sword. Despite his Western features, he blends seamlessly with the other Taoists residing on the mountain.

The man in question is Jake Pinnick, an American who identifies as a 16th-generation disciple of the Wudang Sanfeng martial arts lineage, named after the legendary Taoist reputed to have lived on Wudang Mountain and to have invented tai chi.

Annually, tens of thousands of foreigners make their way to the sacred mountain, yet Pinnick stands out as a permanent resident, who has made the mountain his home. He now serves as an instructor, imparting knowledge of tai chi and Chinese culture to a global audience.

Jake Pinnick is a renowned practitioner and instructor of Wudang Sanfeng martial arts on Wudang Mountain in Hubei province. WU ZHIZUN/XINHUA
'Stayed for the culture'

For millennia, Wudang Mountain has served as a sanctuary for those in pursuit of Taoist enlightenment. Driven to study at the esteemed Wudang Traditional Taoist Kungfu Academy, Pinnick set off from his hometown of Kewanee, Illinois, in 2010, crossing oceans to reach the mountain.

Back then, the absence of an airport close to the mountain and a less developed rail network in China posed significant challenges. Compounded by his lack of Chinese language skills and overseas travel experience, Pinnick's journey was fraught with difficulties, including lost luggage and disorientation. He credits the kindness of several Chinese individuals with preventing him from turning back.

Now, fluent in Mandarin and with a Chinese family, Pinnick has become a familiar sight in his black Taoist robe, his long black beard, and hair styled into a bun. Whether carrying a long sword or a flute, riding a red electric scooter, or guiding international disciples through the mountain trails, he is a symbol of cultural integration.

"Looking back, I realize I've overcome a lot of challenges," Pinnick reflects. His initial years were filled with obstacles: language barriers, dietary adjustments and the demands of rigorous training.

No matter the weather, his daily regime began at 5:30 am, involving resistance training with bamboo sticks and physical conditioning through martial arts disciplines. Despite occasionally feeling overwhelmed, he found the strength to persevere.

In his class of 24 international students, only 12 saw the program through to the end. Pinnick was among these resilient few, mastering disciplines such as tai chi, xingyiquan, and qigong.

"I came here for martial arts, but I stayed because of the culture behind it," Pinnick explains.

He emphasizes that Wudang martial arts focus on harmony — both internal and external — and the balance between strength and flexibility.

Inspirational force

During a performance of Wudang Taihequan at the 2023 Wudang Tai Chi International Friendship Competition, a black butterfly unexpectedly joined him, captivating the audience.

The video went viral on social media, with one netizen interpreting the scene as "Zhuangzi (the ancient Taoist philosopher) transforming into a butterfly to encourage him". Another commended his performance as "authentic and true to its roots".

Pinnick clinched two gold medals at the event, while his two foreign students each secured a silver. However, he says: "Medals are not important to me; what matters is that people, through me, get to know tai chi and Chinese culture."

He has harnessed the power of the internet to widen his reach. Over the past three years, together with his wife, Cao Ling, he has produced and shared hundreds of short videos, drawing fans from the United States and Europe into the orbit of his tai chi and bamboo flute practices.

After three years of online classes with the American, Maurijn Bracke from Belgium finally had the opportunity for face-to-face instruction. "The study of tai chi involves martial arts, Taoist philosophy, classical music, tea art, and more, and Jake can explain them all clearly," says Bracke.

American Jake Pinnick has wholeheartedly embraced traditional Taoist culture after leaving the US for China in 2010. WU ZHIZUN/XINHUA
In touch with tradition

Pinnick's dedication to Wudang culture is unwavering. Whether at home, traveling by train or plane, or even celebrating Christmas with friends, he remains clad in his Taoist attire.

"Practicing tai chi is a way to start a new day that is even better than having coffee," says the American.

Pinnick is proud of his book Introduction to the Dong Xiao: Learn How to Play the Chinese Vertical Flute, which was published in the United States in 2022. He says there are few English books on tai chi or Taoism and he feels obligated to create learning resources for the many enthusiasts worldwide.

Currently, Pinnick is researching the ancient text Tao Te Ching and writing a book in English that includes his own understanding of the work.

"Many people are curious about how I explain traditional Chinese culture in English. My answer is to learn Chinese first and then express it in English," says Pinnick, adding in Chinese that "traditional Chinese culture is profound and extensive, and I became fascinated. Learning for two or three years is not enough; it may take a lifetime, and different ages bring different understandings."

Pinnick's Sino-American family lives and breathes Chinese culture daily. His 9-year-old daughter, Cao Linna, not only practices tai chi and Wudang Sword but also plays the guzheng and hulusi.

Looking ahead, Pinnick's vision is clear: to establish martial arts schools in both China and the United States.

"Many Westerners hope to study on Wudang Mountain, but they don't have the time and opportunity. So, I will take Wudang culture to the US," said Pinnick. "Except that I can't see myself living away from Wudang. This is my second home, where I have my family and my students."

In his quest to promote tai chi, Pinnick has earned certification from the American Council on Exercise and is currently enrolled in a two-year online university course. His philosophy of life is simple: pursue your passions relentlessly. "I don't want to be an ordinary coach teaching ordinary students," he says. "I want to become a master, dedicated to carrying forward Wudang culture and nurturing the 17th generation disciples of the Wudang Sanfeng lineage."
Nice write up on China Daily.