Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 42

Thread: insanity from qigong

  1. #1

    insanity from qigong

    Does anyone know why doing qigong too much or wrong can cause injury or insanity? does anyone ever had any bad side effects from qigong? i never knew the exact reason for this, and it seems this can happen to anyone.

    25th generation inner door disciple of Chen Style Practical Wombat Method
    Officially certified by Ethiopian Orthodox patriarch Abune Mathias
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat™®LLC Practical Wombat Method. international academy retreat

  2. #2
    I do tons of Qi Gong and most people will tell you I am completely nuts.

  3. #3
    It isn't just QiGong it is anything and everything. Anything done to excess without a measure of temperance can result in negative effects.

    For QiGong it is a matter of emotional instability/immaturity. When a student is unable to effectively integrate their experiences into their worldview it can lead to emotional instability similar to what occasionally occurs with psychedelics.

    If one has a modicum of emotional stability and takes it slow there is nothing to worry about. Consider the Dungeons and Dragons craze back in the 90's. Some players tended to go a bit wacko. It wasn't the game that did it, it was their own emotional instability and enmeshment into the game that led to negative effects. It is the same with QiGong.

    A teacher is beneficial to guide one through these effects, but they are not necessary if one is able to maintain their reasoning abilities and emotional balance. It isn't the QiGong that will make you nuts, it is your own instability and inability to effectively integrate experiences into your life that may lead to detrimental effects.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Behind you!
    Posts
    6,163
    Quote Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A View Post
    I do tons of Qi Gong and most people will tell you I am completely nuts.
    Dang! Beat me to it: I came on this thread with the express intention of making the same gag, but you beat me to it!

    I'm not taking the p!ss - you're giving it away!
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

    Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Behind you!
    Posts
    6,163
    Oh and Bawang, breathing the wrong way can definitely drive you nuts. As can drinking too much tea. Wanking makes you go blind too.

    Only I have the antidote to all these problems: just send me a cheque for $59.99 and it's yours!
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

    Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

  6. #6
    You know what else can drive you nuts?


















    NUTS!!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Cathedral City,CA
    Posts
    215

    Talking insanity

    I have heard this too but it mainly refers to children using some crazy advanced qigong with magnets. I have also heard that the practitioners of Tiger-Swallow style do the same. They get so pumped full of chi that they go into a blood thirsty trance. It's crazy but I guess it could be true. However I dont think that there is an actual style called Tiger Swallow. I am pretty sure it is just a set.

    I hope this helps.

    WF

  8. #8
    I would say that this forum is a testement to insanity that can occur in TCMA
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

    Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    1,068
    You only say that because you are insane!
    www.kungnation.com

    Pre-order Kung! Twisted Barbarian Felony from your favorite comic shop!

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Punch View Post
    Dang! Beat me to it: I came on this thread with the express intention of making the same gag, but you beat me to it!

    It's not a gag. I think he may actually be crazy. Not from the chi, but from the DOLL LADY! (somewhere there's a RD doll with a pin in one of the meridians...)

  11. #11
    LOL!! It fits!! OMG, that theory explaines EVERYTHING!!!

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    It isn't just QiGong it is anything and everything. Anything done to excess without a measure of temperance can result in negative effects.

    For QiGong it is a matter of emotional instability/immaturity. When a student is unable to effectively integrate their experiences into their worldview it can lead to emotional instability similar to what occasionally occurs with psychedelics.

    If one has a modicum of emotional stability and takes it slow there is nothing to worry about. Consider the Dungeons and Dragons craze back in the 90's. Some players tended to go a bit wacko. It wasn't the game that did it, it was their own emotional instability and enmeshment into the game that led to negative effects. It is the same with QiGong.

    A teacher is beneficial to guide one through these effects, but they are not necessary if one is able to maintain their reasoning abilities and emotional balance. It isn't the QiGong that will make you nuts, it is your own instability and inability to effectively integrate experiences into your life that may lead to detrimental effects.
    yeah i agree mr brown, but some times this even happen to experienced people. i heard the shaolin haideng fashi died because he stopped eating and drinking and sleeping, he thought he only needs qi to live.

    25th generation inner door disciple of Chen Style Practical Wombat Method
    Officially certified by Ethiopian Orthodox patriarch Abune Mathias
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat™®LLC Practical Wombat Method. international academy retreat

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Canada!
    Posts
    23,101
    Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    yeah i agree mr brown, but some times this even happen to experienced people. i heard the shaolin haideng fashi died because he stopped eating and drinking and sleeping, he thought he only needs qi to live.

    we all die eventually.

    Most of what we hear is not the truth and only a particle of someone else perception of events.

    having said that, in general, the insanity is already there, qigong practice may or may not enhance any sort of insanity, although, I question if the state of mind required for proper qigong practice is there in an inherently insane person.

    becoming delusional is another matter, in my opinion, we have entire societies that are delusional, and so, that may well be a natural state for humans.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    1,068
    becoming delusional is another matter, in my opinion, we have entire societies that are delusional, and so, that may well be a natural state for humans
    Well you ARE compelling evidence for this argument....
    www.kungnation.com

    Pre-order Kung! Twisted Barbarian Felony from your favorite comic shop!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Fremont, CA, U.S.A.
    Posts
    44,029

    I used to think that insanity for bad qigong was bunk...

    ...but now I don't. There's a lot of literature on the topic, traditional caveats, and they are surprisingly consistent, especially when you compare qigong and yoga methods. In addition, there's this - Qi-Gong Psychotic Reaction: DSM-IV
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •