Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: marijuana tcm?!?!?!?!!?

Huo Ma....study finds marijuana for nausea successful in pregnancy

http://www.mytelus.com/news/article....icleID=2075872

VICTORIA, B.C. (Black Press) - Some people might be shocked at the idea of pregnant women smoking marijuana to deal with the nausea that comes with pregnancy.
    But a UK-based medical publication, Journal of Complementary Therapies in Clinical Practice, has taken the idea seriously and published a study conducted by the Vancouver Island Compassion Society on the topic....

That said, Lucas decided to move forward with a survey/study to determine if women who smoked marijuana while they were pregnant found that it dealt with the nausea and vomiting.
    The survey shows that 92 per cent of respondents considered marijuana to be either "extremely effective" or "effective" as a therapy for nausea and vomiting (or morning sickness)....

Controversial, indeed.... the primary investigator reiterated twice against smoking anything during pregnancy.

Perhaps a vaporizer is in order? Seems the inhalation of THC is the fastest and most effective method of delivery. However, the smoke and carbon monoxide proves unhealthful. These new devices vaporize the active ingredient before the plant material begins to combust.

The main counfound I find with this research is the nature of the survey itself - asking pot smokers if they think it helps with just about anything is going to yield high (no pun intended) figures of agreement... otherwise, they wouldn't be smoking de herb to begin with.

Huo Ma Ren is a common item in the Chinese materia medica - however, I have yet to come across any concrete evidence of smoking the 'huo ma hua' (flowering tops)... anybody know of any references to the smoking of cannabis in Chin. medicine?

peace

herb ox

Quote Originally Posted by herb ox
    The main counfound I find with this research is the nature of the survey itself - asking pot smokers if they think it helps with just about anything is going to yield high (no pun intended) figures of agreement... otherwise, they wouldn't be smoking de herb to begin with.

Huo Ma Ren is a common item in the Chinese materia medica - however, I have yet to come across any concrete evidence of smoking the 'huo ma hua' (flowering tops)... anybody know of any references to the smoking of cannabis in Chin. medicine?
    I find the juxtaposition of these two objections rather ironic. You are critiquing the study as being biased for it's simplistic approach in asking self medicating mom's if their herb of choice works, and at the same time asking if this has been previously described in Chinese medical classics, which we know are not based on double bind experimentation but similarly looking at what herbs have worked for a given conditition.

true.... TCM is a juxtaposition in itself, it seems...

You're right about my critique. However, the classics were most often based upon an herbalist's long term experiences with a substance as prescribed to patients. The present cannabis study looks at an herb often used recreationally, and often accompanied by strong emotional responses about the herb itself...

Don't get me wrong... I'm all for huo ma research and 'experimentation' - however, I'm also all for presenting research that can't be picked apart by critics so easily. Thousand-year old writings documenting use of huo ma do provide better evidence of repeated usage with results, rather than a survey of people who probably already have a love affair with cannabis, in my not-so-humble opinion.

one,

herb ox

I feel the self-prescription model is just as valid. This is the difference I see between the TCM way and the Wise Woman herbal tradition way. The wise woman herbalist self prescribes based on experience of other women and personal experience. I prefer the model where each person takes care of their own health with herbs.

I do not agree that women using pot for nausea neccessarily have a love affair with it. I think actually most women who smoke pot stop during pregnacy out of either caution or cultural stigmatization of this practice. You will see this point illustrated if you read the following editorial, which is esentially a personal case study.

http://www.mothering.com/articles/pr...marijuana.html
    "Medical Marijuana: A Surprising Solution to Severe Morning Sickness
    By Erin Hildebrandt
    Issue 124 May/June 2004

As is the case for many young women, my indulgence in recreational drugs, including alcohol and caffeine, came to an abrupt halt when my husband and I discovered we were pregnant with our first child. To say we were ecstatic is an understatement. Doctors had told me we might never conceive, yet here we were, expecting our first miracle. I closely followed my doctor’s recommendations. When I began to experience severe morning sickness, I went to him for help. He ran all of the standard tests, then sent me home with the first of many prescription medicines....."

Cool marijuana tcm?!?!?!?!!?

i smoke marijuana almost everyday and i hear that a lot of people say that it makes them tired, lethargic, forgetful etc. but if you smoke the right amount for what you are doing i htink it could be a very good supplement for concentration."zoning out" you dont have to smoke a lot to where you are comatose or anything.any takers??!?!?!?!!?!?!

Sure why not!

I enjoy it....however I think if I smoked every day then I would not enjoy it so much. Usually once a twice a month is enough for me.

The best part is that it don't make you sick and you feel great the next day!

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderDawg View Post
    Sure why not!

I enjoy it....however I think if I smoked every day then I would not enjoy it so much. Usually once a twice a month is enough for me.

The best part is that it don't make you sick and you feel great the next day!
    amen to the godly grass, my brother,jk that was me being a hippy but totally hear ya on that

ive been known to partake

I would never suggest anyone start intaking thc, but for those of us that find enjoyment in its presence, i dont see anything wrong with that. its been in use by humans for a very very long time to help with all sorts of problems.

i personally dont view it any different than say, alcohol, except that its illegal in a lot of places.

its actually legal where i live for medical purposes, ive met several people with aids, cancer, glaucoma, etc. that benefet from its use.

I dont really like to smoke before i work out. never, ever for me when i am recieving instruction. i cant stand it.

sometimes when i am at home and practicing in a really relaxed manner, i may puff a bit, on occasion.

there is this other thread
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

if i were smoking pot instead of working on my 5th beer and considering my 6th right about now, i wouldnt be at all concerned about tomorrow.

ill give you that.
    where's my beer?

Quote Originally Posted by irontiger1981 View Post
    but if you smoke the right amount for what you are doing i htink it could be a very good supplement for concentration.
    The problem is, there is zero scientific evidence to support that idea.

And tons of scientific evidence, even recently, that says the opposite.

The effects it has on you are irrelevant. There are always exceptions to the rule, like Eddie Bravo who is able to do some pretty great things(like beat a gracie at abu dhabi) while high.. But the majority of people don't experience anything like that.

It's a mixed bag, mostly. It does impair learning ability, slows motor reflexes, hand-eye coordination, etc.

Try playing guitar hero on weed and you'll see what I mean.

... mushrooms on the other hand... well there's a reason they used to be called "Genius Mushrooms".

People find the oddest ways to justify their vices.

Cannabis is an external substance. it will get you high, it is illegal in many countries.

It dulls the senses somewhat as far as motorskills and short term memory are concerned.

It does however relieve nausea and increase appetite in patients who it is prescribed to. It has no analgesic properties except for it's hypnotic effects.

using for the sake of using is merely abuse.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

marijuana is illegal... it's against the law to use it. you can't break the law... you have to do what your told like good controllable people, which reminds me... it's 6:30am and my mom and i haven't baked our breakfast yet.

my mom is visiting from maui...

I don't need drugs, heck I don't even take pain killers.
    I like the pain...
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Drugs are for the weak. Drugs are for those whose lives are so bad they need an escape. Drugs are the root of all evil.
    ------
    Jason

--Keep talking and I'm gonna serve you dinner...by opening up a can of "whoop-ass" and for dessert, a slice of Lama Pai!

God gave us free will. Therefore he is pro-choice.