Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 115

Thread: Hardcore bone breaks in MMA matches

  1. #46
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Commerce City, Colorado
    Posts
    2,823
    Yes, pivoting on the ball of the foot is good; damm hard to spin on a flat foot. The "don't rise up" was, indead, in reference to those who lift up on the toes to "reach" better. Your foot may get higher in the air, but the first time you connect even a bit, you land on your @ss. Some times you end up there even without contacting anything because you've thrown off your natural balance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

  2. #47
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Behind you!
    Posts
    6,163
    Don't watch this... if you've just eaten.

    Kind of back to the subject - this is a pro-fighter who must have kicked full-on thousands of times... It looked like an awkward fall but I wouldn't have called that one... dunno but it looks like she must've already had some hairline fracture or something. And to reiterate: this is very well-trained fighter.

    If you want to lessen your risk of injury: quit MA!
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

    Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

  3. #48
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    22,250
    Freak accidents happen, no way to prepare for them.

    Not really applicable to this thread though...

  4. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by Becca View Post
    Yes, pivoting on the ball of the foot is good; damm hard to spin on a flat foot. The "don't rise up" was, indead, in reference to those who lift up on the toes to "reach" better. Your foot may get higher in the air, but the first time you connect even a bit, you land on your @ss. Some times you end up there even without contacting anything because you've thrown off your natural balance.
    That is another personal preference thing. I have seen MT teachers teach not to be on the ball of the foot. when you throw the thai roundhouse, you are supposed to step out at an angle anyway. if when you step your foot is already turned properly, there is no need to pivot on it.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

    -Charles Manson

    I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

    - Shonie Carter

  5. #50
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Commerce City, Colorado
    Posts
    2,823
    But if you are stepping into the proper position, you are not piviting your foot, but rather moving it...

    What you do once your pivit is complete is usually a stylistic preference. But simple physics says that it is easier to pivit on the ball of the foot than the flat foot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

  6. #51
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Santa Clara, CA, USA
    Posts
    202
    Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    That is another personal preference thing. I have seen MT teachers teach not to be on the ball of the foot. when you throw the thai roundhouse, you are supposed to step out at an angle anyway. if when you step your foot is already turned properly, there is no need to pivot on it.
    Yea, I've had a few trainers teach pretty different versions of the same techniques.

    The explanation for standing on the ball of the foot is that, even after you have stepped out, your foot is only at about a 45 degree angle. Pivoting on the foot makes it easier to rotate the hip of the kicking leg just before the kick connects. Some of my trainers really exaggerate this pivoting motion when demonstrating it, to make sure that it really gets drilled in to our heads. But when I watch them actually use the kick in an application, they tend not to pivot as much. Stepping out at 45 degrees might be sufficient for some folks to get that hip to rotate, but my hips are not the most flexible so I really like to pivot on that supporting foot to help out the hip rotation as much as possible.

    -brian

  7. #52
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    22,250
    How do you "roll" your hip over without the pivot of your support foot ?

  8. #53
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Santa Clara, CA, USA
    Posts
    202
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    How do you "roll" your hip over without the pivot of your support foot ?
    I have to pivot on the ball of my supporting foot every time in order to get the kick right. Some people have more hip flexibility, and I think they must also step out with their foot at more than a 45 degree angle to start with. My trainers say to pivot every time. I also feel that starting out square and pivoting gets some momentum for the kick, as opposed to starting out at the correct angle. Maybe SevenStar can elaborate since he has had a trainer tell him not to pivot on the ball of the supporting foot.

    (BTW, who was that question addressed to?)

    -brian

  9. #54
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    22,250
    Quote Originally Posted by boshea View Post
    I have to pivot on the ball of my supporting foot every time in order to get the kick right. Some people have more hip flexibility, and I think they must also step out with their foot at more than a 45 degree angle to start with. My trainers say to pivot every time. I also feel that starting out square and pivoting gets some momentum for the kick, as opposed to starting out at the correct angle. Maybe SevenStar can elaborate since he has had a trainer tell him not to pivot on the ball of the supporting foot.

    (BTW, who was that question addressed to?)

    -brian
    To anyone that can show me how they roll their hips into a kick without pivoting on the support foot.

  10. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by Becca View Post
    But if you are stepping into the proper position, you are not piviting your foot, but rather moving it...

    What you do once your pivit is complete is usually a stylistic preference. But simple physics says that it is easier to pivit on the ball of the foot than the flat foot.
    I didn't comment on whether it was easier or harder - that is beside the point. the point is that the pivot is not necessary. you always step with a thai kick. The reason is that a common counter to that kick is a straight right. if you are stepping offline as you kick, there is a greater chance that the kick will miss. consequently, you are taught to step and kick. Even though different teachers have told me to pivot or not pivot, all of them have advocated the initial step.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

    -Charles Manson

    I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

    - Shonie Carter

  11. #56
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    1,436
    Watch the following video. It should clear up some of this debate about pivoting the feet.

    www.evtv1.com/?itemnum=558 - 80k

    Enjoy!!!
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

  12. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    To anyone that can show me how they roll their hips into a kick without pivoting on the support foot.
    it depends on the angle of the foot as you step step out with it. problem is, I can forsee knee injury when it is done this way. less pivot = more stress on the knee when you turn the hip.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

    -Charles Manson

    I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

    - Shonie Carter

  13. #58
    I am trying to find a clip of a no pivot step. Here is discussion on it on bullshido:

    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/site...30078-p-4.html

    several of them were taught not to pivot also. It is also mentioned in there that bas rutten and cro cop are propoents of not pivoting. I was taught that by a dutch guy, so it kinda falls in line.

    EDIT: skimming over it, that is actually a decent thread - they talk about the cross being a common counter, about the arm swing and foot placement. I'm not registered on the site, so I can't see the vids and pics, but the discussion itself is good.
    Last edited by SevenStar; 06-28-2007 at 12:15 PM.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

    -Charles Manson

    I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

    - Shonie Carter

  14. #59
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Commerce City, Colorado
    Posts
    2,823
    Quote Originally Posted by boshea View Post
    ... Maybe SevenStar can elaborate since he has had a trainer tell him not to pivot on the ball of the supporting foot.

    (BTW, who was that question addressed to?)

    -brian
    He didn't say he doesn't TURN into the kick. He just steps into it rather than piviting into it. Both very good techniques. As has been stated, the difference is in preference, either personal or stylistic. I step into them if I need to close the gap and pivit if I'm already nice and close.

    But I do pivit on the ball of my foot for most kicks that require it. The sole exception being a wheel kick. With that one you always, always, always pivit on he heal, no steping into it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

  15. #60
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Commerce City, Colorado
    Posts
    2,823
    Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    ... the point is that the pivot is not necessary. you always step with a thai kick...
    Your point was that it is not nesissary. I agree.

    My comment was spacifically that piviting on he ball of the foot beets trying to pivit on a flat foot. And that rising up to pivit is not the same thing as trying to kick tippy-toed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •