Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 33

Thread: Combaton: Martial Arts crossed with Football...

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    36th Chamber
    Posts
    12,419

    Combaton: Martial Arts crossed with Football...

    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

    Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    1,068
    If they had that when I was in high school, I would have done it.

    It's silly, but i bet it's fun. It's no stupider than football, baseball or basketball...
    www.kungnation.com

    Pre-order Kung! Twisted Barbarian Felony from your favorite comic shop!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Canada!
    Posts
    23,101
    just play rugby you
    dang sissies.

    edit after watching clip: WTF is that? lol looks like retards doing tkd on an open mat.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

  4. #4
    I was hoping to see some martial arts in the video, but I clicked through and there was only Taekwondo


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    Posts
    9,297
    weak...we were playing kung fu basketball in the 80's
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

    "If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

    "Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

    It's simpler than you think.

    I could be completely wrong"

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Northridge, CA
    Posts
    601
    :|

    This is nothing like football, basketball, or soccer.

    Those games have an entire repetoire of technical aspects.

    This is a bunch of retards kicking horribly :|

    It makes me want to kick them in the face with a REAL kick.


    I'd love to see a Muay Thai guy in there

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    1,068
    Oh come on, this is JUST as stupid as basketball, baseball or football. And just as fun. It's just those three have been around and because you grew up with them, you somehow think they are 'normal.' -- when in fact, if you just try to describe them objectively, they are completely f@cking stupid.
    www.kungnation.com

    Pre-order Kung! Twisted Barbarian Felony from your favorite comic shop!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Northridge, CA
    Posts
    601
    Theres an immense technical depth to football, basketball, and baseball.

    There is a massive difference between a well-thought out sport that has been refined for generations, and... this bit of retardation.

    And they're not completely stupid to describe them.

    They're games - Games with specific rule sets. Because of the way a game like basketball, football, and baseball is played, the rules, and the technical aspects, they have an extreme amount of depth which results in an incredible number of variations in the way each game is played. The depth of strategy is what seperates coaches who get paid jack ****, and coaches who get the big money.

    Thats why hundreds of millions of people watch these games, thats why they're so popular. And thats why we don't watch crap like taekwondo football.
    Last edited by AdrianK; 04-27-2009 at 09:19 PM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    1,068
    No, they are stupid. It doesn't matter how complicated the strategies get to win the game, it's only a game - and games are constructs.

    When I have more time, I'll detail this point for you. I'm sure you LOVE the 'sports' you grew up with. But there is nothing inherently better about one sport versus the other than personal preference and your environment.

    In latin america you'll here how soccer is 'better', in the US 'football' - in Canada they say 'balls? we don't need no balls, HOCKEY is a man's sport.'

    And while they are all fun, they are by nature just stupid if you are not into the construct of the game. Really. Describe them objectively without your emotions or knowledge of the game. I dare you.
    www.kungnation.com

    Pre-order Kung! Twisted Barbarian Felony from your favorite comic shop!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    1,068
    AdrianK - wether or not it takers skill to coach a game well is not the point. It can take incredible skill and talent to do something very, very stupid.

    It is not because of the 'depth of strategies' that people watch these games. They watch them because they grew up with them, are nostalgic for them and have the 'ideas' of the game infecting the popular culture.

    LaCrosse is just as complicated and requires just as much strategy as baseball - yet it is not popular and does not pay millions for coaches.

    I already proved the regional aspect.

    Just because you don't like to watch 'TKD ball' because it is 'stupid'. doesn't mean others don't look at baseball, basketball or football and think they are equally stupid. Which they are
    www.kungnation.com

    Pre-order Kung! Twisted Barbarian Felony from your favorite comic shop!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Canada!
    Posts
    23,101
    Quote Originally Posted by Mas Judt View Post
    AdrianK - wether or not it takers skill to coach a game well is not the point. It can take incredible skill and talent to do something very, very stupid.

    It is not because of the 'depth of strategies' that people watch these games. They watch them because they grew up with them, are nostalgic for them and have the 'ideas' of the game infecting the popular culture.

    LaCrosse is just as complicated and requires just as much strategy as baseball - yet it is not popular and does not pay millions for coaches.

    I already proved the regional aspect.

    Just because you don't like to watch 'TKD ball' because it is 'stupid'. doesn't mean others don't look at baseball, basketball or football and think they are equally stupid. Which they are
    true enough.

    sport is popular because people give it buy in. Otherwise, it doesn't carry a lot of value to the progression of the human race as a species. lol
    Kung Fu is good for you.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    36th Chamber
    Posts
    12,419
    Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    true enough.

    sport is popular because people give it buy in. Otherwise, it doesn't carry a lot of value to the progression of the human race as a species. lol
    I disagree. Spectator sports are an emotional outlet for aggressive behavior and foster social and cultural bonds through team indentification and loyalty.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

    Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Canada!
    Posts
    23,101
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    I disagree. Spectator sports are an emotional outlet for aggressive behavior and foster social and cultural bonds through team indentification and loyalty.
    Yes they can serve as that, but often they don't and can also often induce aggressive behaviours.

    no buy in = no sport.

    team sports encourage group think and mob mentality.

    as an aside, I guess it's obvious I don't care much for them. lol
    Kung Fu is good for you.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Midgard
    Posts
    10,853
    everyone knows guys only play sports for the chicks. so it doesnt really matter what you do, as long as it gets you chicks. if it doesnt get you chicks THEN its a retarded sport.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Fremont, CA, U.S.A.
    Posts
    44,061

    This has been driving me nuts

    A few years back, Henry Mok was trying to promote a martial arts and basketball hybrid. If memory serves, there were trampolines involved. I think there were a few competitions held, but I can't for the life of me, remember what he called it.

    I think martial arts hybrids with other sports are great. I certainly wouldn't play them, but they make for amusing spectator sports, especially for the crash factor. I would love to see the body armor get more gladiatorial, more like Rollerball.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •