Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 133

Thread: Practicing techniques "too deadly for the ring"

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    543

    Practicing techniques "too deadly for the ring"

    Every kung fu style has techniques that could seriously injure your opponent, whether eye gouges, join manipulation, dislocation, dropping someone on their head, ball kicks, neck/throat/eye strikes, knee attacks, etc, etc.

    How does your style practice these, with pressure, without actually hurting the other person?

    This is a serious question. While I think it's lame excuse to say "we can't spar., we're too deadly", every traditional style has a range of techniques that are meant to maim. They're perhaps useful for self-defense even if they never see the light of day in a competition.

    So how do you practice 'em?

    EO

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Canada!
    Posts
    23,101
    I use a pell for full force sword striking and retention training.

    The rest is through devices as well. Grip training, finger conditioning and other body part conditioning etc.

    The thing is, the venue dictates the rules, so, there isn't any such thing as too deadly for the ring.

    Sparring is a good way to train for a venue and to familiarize yourself with the rules.

    My sifu used to ask us who wanted to train for tourneys and those who chose to do the fights would have a completely different curriculum in order to train to the venue.

    no thumb in the eye, fish hooking, elbow to xiphoid process, etc etc.

    just basic high percentage attacks and solid defense conditioning.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    22,250
    No such thing as "too deadly" for the ring, if you want to test a technique you cna always find a venue.
    Beyond that, it's a case of relativity.
    If you can't hit a guy in the head with a fist jab you won't be able to finger jab his eyes, that's for sure.
    If you can kick a guy in the body or head or thigh, knee or groin is no problem.
    If you can't hit a guy in the jaw, you won't be able to hit his throat.

    Fact is, it is far harder to be effective with limited rules than with no rules so the "too deadly" is a moot point.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    543
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    No such thing as "too deadly" for the ring, if you want to test a technique you cna always find a venue.
    Beyond that, it's a case of relativity.
    If you can't hit a guy in the head with a fist jab you won't be able to finger jab his eyes, that's for sure.
    If you can kick a guy in the body or head or thigh, knee or groin is no problem.
    If you can't hit a guy in the jaw, you won't be able to hit his throat.

    Fact is, it is far harder to be effective with limited rules than with no rules so the "too deadly" is a moot point.
    So, if I follow, your argument is that these techniques don't need any kind of specific training--that training within the confines of a rule-set that forbids them is all the training that's needed?

    EO

    P.S.

    I use the term "too deadly" sort of tongue in cheek. The reality is they are banned because they COULD cause permanent injury if applied correctly.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Canada!
    Posts
    23,101
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Olson View Post
    So, if I follow, your argument is that these techniques don't need any kind of specific training--that training within the confines of a rule-set that forbids them is all the training that's needed?

    EO

    P.S.

    I use the term "too deadly" sort of tongue in cheek. The reality is they are banned because they COULD cause permanent injury if applied correctly.
    uh, I didn't get that out of it.
    He was saying basically the same thing i did.

    IE: deadly attacks are not in the rule set for fighting in a ring and therefore are not of a concern to someone who wants to train to fight in the ring.

    You can still learn how to hit the spine with your elbows etc. The fact that you can't eye poke, fishhook, elbow the spine, etc in most combat venues makes the argument of "too deadly for the the ring" moot.

    A straight up cross to the nose can kill you if it's coming in at the right angle with good force. I've seen many a guy try to stick a thumb into someone's throat and outright fail. I've seen guys try to use trapping and fail horribly etc.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    22,250
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Olson View Post
    So, if I follow, your argument is that these techniques don't need any kind of specific training--that training within the confines of a rule-set that forbids them is all the training that's needed?

    EO

    P.S.

    I use the term "too deadly" sort of tongue in cheek. The reality is they are banned because they COULD cause permanent injury if applied correctly.
    Well...how much special training do you need to drive an elbow into someones cricoid?
    As much as you need to drive it into someones head.
    My point is that if you can do it ( fight) in a limited rules environment then it is easier to do it when you have no rules to worry about.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Steam Pan
    Posts
    422
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    no such thing as "too deadly" for the ring, if you want to test a technique you cna always find a venue.
    Beyond that, it's a case of relativity.
    If you can't hit a guy in the head with a fist jab you won't be able to finger jab his eyes, that's for sure.
    If you can kick a guy in the body or head or thigh, knee or groin is no problem.
    If you can't hit a guy in the jaw, you won't be able to hit his throat.

    Fact is, it is far harder to be effective with limited rules than with no rules so the "too deadly" is a moot point.


    qft............

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Shell Beach, CA, USA
    Posts
    6,664
    Blog Entries
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Olson View Post
    So how do you practice 'em?
    In sport, you fight with rules. In combat, you want to finish your opponent ASAP. The training are different. In sport, you may just want to win. In combat, you want to hurt your opponent.

    You can train certain moves on throwing dummy or special designed equipments. You will need to develop some special skills to deal with "unfriendly challengers". There is nothing better than to run your fingers across your opponent's eyes first and then beat him up after that (not for sport). The question is how do you train "run your fingers across your opponent's eyes" if no training partner will let you do that? A telephone book will be a good training tool for that. You can see how many pages that your fingers can dig into a phone book to see the progress of your skill development.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 04-04-2011 at 09:55 AM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Posts
    976
    Why make such a big deal about it. It's taking what you already know and using it on different targets on the body. Leverage is leverage, a hit is a hit a kick is a kick....
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    1,436
    If you are referring to MMA bouts, soft tissue (eyes, ears, throat) small joint manipulation, no kicking a downed opponent are the main ones. I know there are probably others but these are the main ones.

    Like Ronin said, if you can't jab someone in the face with your entire fist, what makes you think you can jab them in the eye with a serpent fang or spearhand? Most of these are better suited in the clinch or grappling, but ask yourself this. A good wrestler takes you down and has you mounted or you are in guard, who has control? Do you think you reaching up and clawing like some 6 year old school girl or trying to poke him in the eye is going to get him off? If anything it will p**iss him off more!

    Those who are in a position of control are the ones who can probe soft tissue, or manipulate small joints, or reign knees into their head until you turn it into meat pudding. Before you start training to poke eyes, or use small joint manipulation, or whatever else, first learn to control your opponent. Shuai and wrestling practice will allow you to control your opponent, and you have to have control before any of those techniques will work.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Shell Beach, CA, USA
    Posts
    6,664
    Blog Entries
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Olson View Post
    seriously injure your opponent ...
    TCMA teachers always said that you will need to have few "black hands" to deal with "unfriendly challengers". If you can hurt one challenger badly (such as make him to sit on his wheel chair for the rest of his life), your bad reputation spread out, nobody will ever want to knock on your door and challenge you again.

    http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/foru...ad.php?t=60142

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Posts
    7,716
    this is like argueing with my ex. She has an agenda, and no matter what you say, she will say it, whether or not it is actually the original subject..
    In other words, no one is really addressing the question here.
    The question was not on the effectiveness of the techniques, but for those who do practice these, how are they practiced?
    Face it, you can't claw a face, grip a trachea, kick or tear a groin, gauge an eye, etc..legally. So you need to find as many types of approximations as possible.
    Vital point strikes, which are pulled on sparring, can be practiced on a BOB. You can put on chest pads-Macho is almost bulletproof, and bang away on each other.
    There are hanging man-like dummies that you can practice groin kicks on, but yuo can simply bang at the underside of a heavybag, or have your partner hold the pad facing downward.
    Clawing cannot be done to the face, but you can get feedback from your partner by gripping his shoulder.
    Various substances can be used for breaking-if done without a set-up, and using sudden explosiveness, you can guage whether or not you actually have the short power to do damage.
    You can use clay and make a head, perhaps cover a plastic skull with it, and claw and rip away. (I did this on a whim, when I was in art school, during sculpture class. My teacher thought I was a bit..disturbed..)
    But honestly, the only way to see if your technique works, is to do it. Of course, this is not moral, or legal, but it is a fact.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

    "I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

    ....step.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    543
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    TCMA teachers always said that you will need to have few "black hands" to deal with "unfriendly challengers". If you can hurt one challenger badly (such as make him to sit on his wheel chair for the rest of his life), your bad reputation spread out, nobody will ever want to knock on your door and challenge you again.

    http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/foru...ad.php?t=60142
    Haha...don't worry, that's not my goal.

    EO

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Shell Beach, CA, USA
    Posts
    6,664
    Blog Entries
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    but for those who do practice these, how are they practiced?... But honestly, the only way to see if your technique works, is to do it. Of course, this is not moral, or legal, but it is a fact.
    If you can pick your opponent up like this, how will you drop him should be your choice at that moment. Your opponent will have no defense against you when both of his feet are in the air.

    Yoo can train the "firemen's carry" with your regular training partner. You can only train your "head smashing" by using your throwing dummy.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IuBi8YIFrc
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 04-04-2011 at 10:12 AM.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Steam Pan
    Posts
    422
    Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    Vital point strikes, which are pulled on sparring, can be practiced on a BOB.
    Yes, I have a body opponent bag. Its actually quite hard. The head and neck are shaped for technique. But without the pesky bones that get in the way.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •