Page 47 of 53 FirstFirst ... 374546474849 ... LastLast
Results 691 to 705 of 793

Thread: Shaolin diet, vegetarianism and stuff

  1. #691
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Skid Row Adjacent
    Posts
    2,391
    Quote Originally Posted by rett View Post
    More proof that One Shoe is coming from a place of bitterness and resentment. Alone in his attic, sucking on his witty fingers.
    I'd offer to suck on yours but they are covered in RDH's bodily fluids and there are somethings a girl just won't do.

  2. #692
    One Shoe consistently fails to back up his insults with any worthwhile observations of his own. He has nothing but the rage of the camper on his way to zero.

  3. #693
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Skid Row Adjacent
    Posts
    2,391
    Quote Originally Posted by rett View Post
    One Shoe consistently fails to back up his insults with any worthwhile observations of his own. He has nothing but the rage of the camper on his way to zero.
    The feminine perseveration of Viennese School platitudes is the extent of your penetrating insight and wit.

  4. #694
    I don't care about wit. My wit or your wit. Fuck wit, ya fuckwit.

  5. #695
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    DengFeng
    Posts
    1,469
    @Wenshu

    Well, it sure doesn't feel like disneyland. Training is the 9-5, but thats not all being here is. If it was so pleasant a lot more people would stay here a long time.

    This entire website is about Martial Arts, that is about violence. Thats one of the main things we should talk about. I explain things in my experience and never do I boast about being good at dealing violence. All the points I bring up about violence are true to my experience and I think it is other people who are naive when they don't consider the things I do, because I know if they had experienced it they wouldn't brush these things aside so easily. I say things that other people don't think about. This is more useful than saying nothing.

    Shaolin Kung fu is as much about the philosophy as about the martial arts, so why can't I talk about these things? You never post good counter points to my arguments you either insult or misuse a logical fallacy. You always attack the surface of the argument without actually targeting the central point. Philosophy is one thing we CAN actually get better at by arguing it over the internet, unlike Kung Fu. These discussions should be taken at every opportunity.

    You don't know me, nor can you judge my entire life from over the internet. If you don't like what I say, then challenge it with argument. Don't pour down personal judgements. Don't attack the wording or surface of the argument when you know very well the central point is deeper. You will see I welcome argument and respond courteously if you do the same and if my arguments were so ridiculous they should be easy for you to destroy.
    Last edited by RenDaHai; 08-18-2013 at 09:10 AM.

  6. #696
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Skid Row Adjacent
    Posts
    2,391
    Quote Originally Posted by RenDaHai View Post
    You never post good counter points to my arguments you either insult or misuse a logical fallacy. You always attack the surface of the argument without actually targeting the central point.
    While I take an adversarial tone I consistently attack the central point when I disagree with you, which most often is your own use of fallacious reasoning (such as the notion that historical investigation can be conclusively satisfied with an assumption).

    The insults lately are actually a result of proxies who jump in and make it personal, which I am obviously happy to oblige. You have to admit that calling someone a tourist in a bubble is pretty mild and some of you guys have a troubling tendency to freak out just because someone disagrees with you.

  7. #697
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    DengFeng
    Posts
    1,469
    Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    While I take an adversarial tone I consistently attack the central point when I disagree with you, which most often is your own use of fallacious reasoning (such as the notion that historical investigation can be conclusively satisfied with an assumption).

    The insults lately are actually a result of proxies who jump in and make it personal, which I am obviously happy to oblige. You have to admit that calling someone a tourist in a bubble is pretty mild and some of you guys have a troubling tendency to freak out just because someone disagrees with you.
    I like to think I demonstrate a certain degree of patience compared to most.

    'Tourist in a bubble' is mild in language but not in message. Spending such a large amount of time here is not entirely without sacrifice or effort.

    I never said conclusively. Your welcome to quote a bit of historical investigation that was arrived at without any assumptions.

  8. #698
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    ᏌᏂᎭᎢ, ᏥᎾ
    Posts
    3,257
    Wenshu is a girl?

    Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    there are somethings a girl just won't do.

  9. #699
    Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    Wenshu is a girl?
    In a dadaist kinda way, maybe. Battle of the cut'n'pasted quotes.

  10. #700
    Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    While I take an adversarial tone I consistently attack the central point...
    ROFL!

    You finally said something funny.

    The insults lately are actually a result of proxies who jump in and make it personal, which I am obviously happy to oblige. You have to admit that calling someone a tourist in a bubble is pretty mild
    Do you even read what you write? You made it personal. You just said so. Mild, perhaps, but definitely personal. But in the same paragraph you claim someone else made it personal first. And what I gave you back was also mild to begin with. Personal, perhaps, but mild. Whereupon you went off with your "sucking laowai ****s" and the rest of your bodily fluids etc.
    Last edited by rett; 08-19-2013 at 03:31 AM.

  11. #701
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Skid Row Adjacent
    Posts
    2,391
    Quote Originally Posted by RenDaHai View Post
    I never said conclusively. Your welcome to quote a bit of historical investigation that was arrived at without any assumptions.
    The assumption is an acceptable starting point for historical inquiry, you seem to operate on the notion that it is acceptable as the conclusion.

    Quote Originally Posted by rett View Post
    Do you even read what you write? You made it personal. You just said so. Mild, perhaps, but definitely personal. But in the same paragraph you claim someone else made it personal first. And what I gave you back was also mild to begin with. Personal, perhaps, but mild. Whereupon you went off with your "sucking laowai ****s" and the rest of your bodily fluids etc.
    I was attacking his background as an argument against his questionable frame of reference on "good / evil" and "compassion".

    The only thing that explains why you had to jump in is your troubling predilection for preternatural codependency with younger gentleman.

  12. #702
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Skid Row Adjacent
    Posts
    2,391
    Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    Wenshu is a girl?
    wing chun dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=1M

  13. #703
    Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    I was attacking his background as an argument against his questionable frame of reference on "good / evil" and "compassion".

    The only thing that explains why you had to jump in is your troubling predilection for preternatural codependency with younger gentleman.
    Uh, yuk. Yeah I got what you were implying about 10 of your posts ago. Nice to see just how obscene and slanderous you can get with your trolling though. It confirms my opinion of you. You dish out personal insults, but if you get called on it you escalate like crazy. You aren't interested in knowledge or discussion, only ripping on others and positioning yourself as superior. You're driven by envy. You're a troll.
    Last edited by rett; 08-22-2013 at 11:36 PM.

  14. #704
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Fremont, CA, U.S.A.
    Posts
    44,282

    Oddly appropo

    Hey, I know those references. Glad that they linked them through.
    Shaolin Temple Diet
    by Benna Crawford, Demand Media

    The Shaolin Temple in the shadow of Songshan Mountain in China's central Henan province is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. It is also the 1,500-year-old home of Zen Buddhism and of the famous Shaolin fighting monks, legendary kung fu experts who perform worldwide in venues from circuses to concert halls. But the martial arts expertise is not show business for the monks. They are in the enlightenment business and they follow strict monastic rules -- including a vegetarian diet. (see references 3, 5)

    Zen Kung Fu

    Kung fu at the Shaolin Temple developed as a response to the muscle-weakening that happened when monks sat in meditation for hours every day. To stimulate circulation, keep joints supple and build muscle, the monks developed a martial arts practice which they shared with the surrounding villagers. During wars and political conflicts, the monks were called on to fight actual battles and their prowess became the stuff of myth and legend. Zen, or Chan, practice requires a calm and peaceful mind, so the monks followed a traditional Buddhist diet that excluded animal products. Their health and temperament were influenced by diet as they used martial arts as a means to attain enlightenment. As a practicing Zen monastery, Shaolin Temple mandates that its ordained monks observe all Buddhist rules -- including the abstention from meat. (see references 2, 3, 4)

    Meat-Eating Monks

    As the fame of the monks at Shaolin grew, so did the demand for kung fu training. Outside the grounds of the temple, schools for martial arts training sprang up and a lively subculture of studios, shops, restaurants and makeshift shelters surrounded the area. This happened several times in history, with several purges of the non-monastic kung fu culture in the vicinity of Shaolin Temple, including one to protect its world heritage site status. Those communities were carnivorous, reflecting the belief that eating meat provides strength and builds muscle. In addition, a number of contemporary ordained Shaolin monks, along with students of martial arts and Zen in the monastery who had not taken orders, left to found their own kung fu schools in China and in the West. Some still identify as ordained Shaolin monks, and many are carnivorous, despite Buddhism's prohibition against flesh-eating. (see references 4, 5)

    Zen Diet

    Monks at the Shaolin Temple and its sanctioned subsidiaries avoid most animal foods. Their diet is vegetarian, consisting of fresh vegetables, fruit, soy, grains, nuts and mushrooms. Food is usually boiled or steamed. Dishes range from the simple -- bean soup; steamed vegetables, rice and tofu; noodles with black bread; rice porridge and steamed buns -- to elaborate vegan dishes served on special occasions or to visitors -- "three treasures," baked bran, dried tofu and pickled radish; "floating fragrance in a Buddhist pot," cabbage and shaved dried tofu; "blossoming smile of enlightenment," tofu and fried eggplant; and "Buddha jumps over the wall," vegetarian soup adapted from a savory meat and seafood dish. (see references 1, 2, 3)

    Not on the Menu

    Traditionally Shaolin monks don't eat meat, fish, or eggs. They consume a limited amount of dairy, primarily milk, for protein. In Buddhist belief, spicy flavors produce too much heat in the body so chives, garlic, green onion, ginger, chilies and mustard are out. So is any type of fermented beverage -- no alcohol. Concentrated protein, high fat and spicy foods are said to boost blood circulation, unbalancing the body. When not thoroughly digested, they cause inflammation and disrupt the flow of Qi energy. This makes it difficult to maintain vigorous physical health and develop the calm mind and focus required of a serious Zen practitioner, and of a Shaolin warrior. (see references 1, 2, 3)

    "Kung Fu Magazine": Shaolin Trinity
    Chanwuyi Foundation: Chanwuyi Culture
    "Slate" magazine: Lunch With the Abbot of the Shaolin Temple
    "Kung Fu Magazine": Meat, Wine, and Fighting Monks
    Shaolin Temple Overseas Headquarters: Shaolin Temple History

    About the Author

    Benna Crawford has been a journalist and New York-based freelance writer since 1997. Her work has appeared in "The New York Times," "The Washington Post," "The Miami Herald," on CBS, CNN, ABC and in professional journals, trade publications and blogs. Crawford is a certified Prana Yoga instructor, currently studying green nutrition.
    Photo Credits

    Lisa Maree Williams/Getty Images Entertainment/Getty Images
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

  15. #705
    Nice article, thanks for posting it. I also recognized a reference to a website I refer to often.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •