Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: Looks Like Wing Chun

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Chi (Chicago)
    Posts
    942

    Looks Like Wing Chun

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TH0cj...eature=related

    Well doesn't it? He doesn't seem to be kick boxing. So what went wrong?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Midgard
    Posts
    10,853
    what went wrong is he stayed on the outside and let the guy pummel him with kicks at long and medium range, he should have closed the cap asap, and kept in close as much as he could to use his strengths against the kick boxers weakness. he started off strong and then for some reason he let the guy keep him at bay.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Chi (Chicago)
    Posts
    942
    Nice analysis.

  4. #4
    the guy just couldnt fight. way too stiff no angles no defense, not much oof anythign. remeber floks just becuse you have been doing somethign for a while doesnt mean your good at it.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan



    Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by EarthDragon View Post
    the guy just couldnt fight. way too stiff no angles no defense, not much oof anythign. remeber floks just becuse you have been doing somethign for a while doesnt mean your good at it.
    He's a product of your type of training. Too much pigeon towed stance and not enough fighting.

  6. #6
    excuse me? LOl my type of training? so 8 step is pigeon toed LOL
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan



    Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by EarthDragon View Post
    excuse me? LOl my type of training? so 8 step is pigeon toed LOL
    No. The wc pigeon stance is equivalent to the horse stance. You want people to do horse stance for 6 months for no reason.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Shell Beach, CA, USA
    Posts
    6,664
    Blog Entries
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by RonBlair View Post
    do horse stance for 6 months for no reason.
    You will need a good horse stance to be able to execute your:

    - hip throw,
    - shoulder throw,
    - embrace throw,
    - firemen's carry throw,
    - ...

    The "hip throw" is the mother of all throw, most of the throws start from there. The horse stance, bow-arrow stance, and golden rooster stance are the 3 mose important stances used in the Chinese wrestling. If you want to train TCMA, you have to train "horse stance". If you do have 6 months training in "horse stance", you will appreciate the reward for the rest of your life. 6 months is not that long. If you can stick to it, there will be nothing that you can't do through your life.

    If a TCMA teacher can find a student who is willing to spend 6 months in "horse stance", that teacher should teach that student for free. Such student will be so hard to find in today's society.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 12-31-2011 at 09:54 AM.

  9. #9
    YKW
    R B is an idiot, I sent him a PM to ask him a quesition and his response was that of a digruntled child with mental issues. I wouldnt bother to explian to much to him.

    There just some people when I see with 14 posts that were other screen names who got banned for thir disruptivness and being rude to other memebers. seems to be the case. PS he said hes sifu level. that shoudl say it all.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan



    Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by EarthDragon View Post
    YKW
    R B is an idiot, I sent him a PM to ask him a quesition and his response was that of a digruntled child with mental issues. I wouldnt bother to explian to much to him.

    There just some people when I see with 14 posts that were other screen names who got banned for thir disruptivness and being rude to other memebers. seems to be the case. PS he said hes sifu level. that shoudl say it all.
    You put on ignore because you couldn't handle someone "being disrespectful to a Sifu". Bro, get over yourself. "I'm a Sifu so don't ever disagree with me.

    Ykw,
    I agree with you to an extent. You also have to train the actual hip throw and spar with it to be able to use it. Horse stance is limited in that aspect.

  11. #11
    wing chun obsess over form. this is the mistake of many oriental fetishists.


    he was too busy posing in his kung fu stance, maintining structure and form.
    Last edited by bawang; 01-01-2012 at 09:26 AM.

    25th generation inner door disciple of Chen Style Practical Wombat Method
    Officially certified by Ethiopian Orthodox patriarch Abune Mathias
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat™®LLC Practical Wombat Method. international academy retreat

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,519
    I think the WC guy lost his focus when he got caught with the groin shot. It would me I know. Neither one was a good representation of their art I don't think.
    Jackie Lee

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    526
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    You will need a good horse stance to be able to execute your:

    - hip throw,
    - shoulder throw,
    - embrace throw,
    - firemen's carry throw,
    - ...

    The "hip throw" is the mother of all throw, most of the throws start from there. The horse stance, bow-arrow stance, and golden rooster stance are the 3 mose important stances used in the Chinese wrestling. If you want to train TCMA, you have to train "horse stance". If you do have 6 months training in "horse stance", you will appreciate the reward for the rest of your life. 6 months is not that long. If you can stick to it, there will be nothing that you can't do through your life.
    I remember when I used to do my throws from a horse stance. Then I started training under a div 1 wrestler and he changed my view point. That's not to say I don't train or teach the classic stances because I do.

    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    If a TCMA teacher can find a student who is willing to spend 6 months in "horse stance", that teacher should teach that student for free. Such student will be so hard to find in today's society.
    Uhh? No! You go to work you expect to be paid. I expect to be paid for my work as well. And I put in far more than 40-50 hours per week as the average person does.

    I don't have any trouble finding these types of students. My students are hard working and loyal. I love them. Maybe other instructors have trouble finding great students because they haven't really learned how to teach. They're good at the martial arts but they haven't learned how to pass the information on to others.

    To a beginning instructor I recommend:

    Martial Arts Teachers on Teaching by Carol Wiley

    Martial Arts Instructors Desk Reference by Sang H. Kim

    For a more advanced instrustor:

    iManual: A Martial Arts Instructor's Guide (PDF)
    Last edited by Shaolin; 01-01-2012 at 02:02 PM.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    DengFeng
    Posts
    1,469
    I thought it was all-right. Just inappropriate to use Wing Chun with kick boxing rules.

    He (WC guy) maintained his guard even under some pressure, the kickboxers groin was constantly open, his wasn't. He got his hands in the guys face enough times, which with gloves on was of little use to him, but in the style he's used to could give him a lot of opportunities. Not really fair to judge him on it, not his game.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    482
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    what went wrong is he stayed on the outside and let the guy pummel him with kicks at long and medium range, he should have closed the cap asap, and kept in close as much as he could to use his strengths against the kick boxers weakness. he started off strong and then for some reason he let the guy keep him at bay.
    Pretty much the way I see it. He did not use range well. By hanging back he took a lot of kicks and long range punches without being able to retaliate. When he did close, he wasn't able to press his advantage before the other guy would break away.

    I don't know what the rule set was, but if the guy's a runner, once you are inside you've either got to run 'em down or latch onto them. A couple of missed opportunities in this regard were at :37-38 when the kickboxer tried a spinning backfist and the WC guy got in close behind him. With an open rule-set, this would have been the moment to latch on and let him have it from behind.

    Similarly at about 1:19 the WC guy was in a good position to grab his opponent's head and let loose with some front knee strikes. It's almost like grabbing wasn't allowed.

    Finally, at 2:02 he caught his opponent's kick in a classic Lau-sau leg scoop. Forget the attempted fak-sau. He should have thrown that sucker's leg through the ceiling! And if that wasn't enough, sweep the supporting leg.

    Of course, it's darn tough to make use of every opportunity when your opponent is aggressive. You have to counter with equal or greater aggression and more opportunities will arise. Hanging back was not the answer. WC doesn't work on the outside.
    "No contaban con mi astucia!" --el Chapulin Colorado

    http://www.vingtsunaz.com/
    www.nationalvt.com/

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •