Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

Thread: Are Prisons Really Dangerous?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Chi (Chicago)
    Posts
    942

    Are Prisons Really Dangerous?

    I came across this sick/sad site: http://spr.igc.org/en/survivorstories/main.html.

    Is there anything that can be done about this? I would think this just makes society as a whole more dangerous when these animals get paroled. Can the system be fixed to prevent this?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    new york,ny,U.S.A
    Posts
    3,228
    thats way off topic..has nothing to do with martial media and popular culture.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Chi (Chicago)
    Posts
    942
    Can you move it to the off-topic section for me? My mistake.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Canada!
    Posts
    23,101
    I'm not sure I really care about that.

    Serioulsy, are you looking for some sort of country club prisons?

    Do you want us to feel sorry for convicted criminals because they had a rough go once they got inside the prison walls where their sad ass life was leading them because they couldn't make a good decision?

    Everyone in prison is a victim?

    I call BS. What about the victims of each of those people who were beaten, robbed, raped, killed, abused at the hands of the criminal?

    Seriously, people need to take responsibility and accountability for their actions especially when they know full well what the bloody consequences are.

    If anyone has been wrongly accused, convicted and then abused, they have the recourse of suing the ass off the government or court that put them there.

    Why are so many people in prison? Because we have the strongest foundation set of rule of law. USA, Canada, Western Europe and Australia lead the way in this respect. Yeah, there's gonna be errors, like in the case of prison for profit that happens in some states which opens the door for corruption, but to blanket the whole system as bad based on the complaints of convicted criminals?

    yeah, you can take that elsewhere. This bank don't cash that cheque.

    What's with the bleeding hearts boys? Compassion to the weak and needy, not to the vultures, they're already dead are they not?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

  5. #5
    It depends entirely on which prison.
    Some prisons are horrible and some are like summer camp without girls(if you're broke).

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Chi (Chicago)
    Posts
    942

    The Solution!

    I say we adopt the Dutch system where every prisoner receives emotional therapy, and the recidivism rate is only 3%. Oh yeah though, then the prison industry'd go broke. Sorry, silly me...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Augusta, GA
    Posts
    5,096
    There has to be some provision for reintegrating criminals into society. The idea of locking people up permanently or without a chance to become reestablished is unsustainable. Some people actually regret what they've done, and if you set them up for failure, you've helped create a career criminal.

    I recall during an anthropology course that western civilization is more preoccupied with punishing people for crimes than actually fixing the problem. I tend to agree.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

    Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

    A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

    "You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

    "Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Canada!
    Posts
    23,101
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    There has to be some provision for reintegrating criminals into society. The idea of locking people up permanently or without a chance to become reestablished is unsustainable. Some people actually regret what they've done, and if you set them up for failure, you've helped create a career criminal.

    I recall during an anthropology course that western civilization is more preoccupied with punishing people for crimes than actually fixing the problem. I tend to agree.
    You are correct that there is a need for reintegration process. Or "rehabilitation" which is not apparent in the current crime and punishment system in North America, but IS at play in Northern Europe where they are seeing great success.

    The problem in North America as I see it is this:

    1. Private industry runs prisons (In Canada it is run by Government, but the system is quite draconian and archaic here)
    2. Rehab programs are not really a focus so much as removal from society is.
    3. There is an underlying culture of revenge which dictates the spurning of the criminal in perpetuity.

    (The last one is strange especially in context to the so called "Christians" who support that thinking)
    Kung Fu is good for you.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Chi (Chicago)
    Posts
    942
    That's some real talk there.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    2,230
    Quote Originally Posted by Faruq View Post
    I came across this sick/sad site: http://spr.igc.org/en/survivorstories/main.html.

    Is there anything that can be done about this? I would think this just makes society as a whole more dangerous when these animals get paroled. Can the system be fixed to prevent this?
    of course it can, start with taking away all free weights. They are outlawed. leave them to use their own bodyweight.

    Take the drugs out of prison. as well as the steroids.

    There are more drugs in than out of prison, WTF?

    People that are in prison for life should be removed, destroyed and their remains used for drug trials, experiments etc rather than cost the US Taxpayer over 100,000 per inmate per year.

    They have better healthcare than I do, yet I never broke any laws.

    They have better food that is free, I dont get free food nor free health care.

    They seem to have more rights than the people they robbed, killed, raped, murdered, ate, etc.

    Time to get real about it.

    Life in prison is a joke. There should be no one in prison for life, as that means you are to be removed from the mortal coil.
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    I'm not sure I really care about that.

    Serioulsy, are you looking for some sort of country club prisons?

    Do you want us to feel sorry for convicted criminals because they had a rough go once they got inside the prison walls where their sad ass life was leading them because they couldn't make a good decision?

    Everyone in prison is a victim?

    I call BS. What about the victims of each of those people who were beaten, robbed, raped, killed, abused at the hands of the criminal?

    Seriously, people need to take responsibility and accountability for their actions especially when they know full well what the bloody consequences are.

    If anyone has been wrongly accused, convicted and then abused, they have the recourse of suing the ass off the government or court that put them there.

    Why are so many people in prison? Because we have the strongest foundation set of rule of law. USA, Canada, Western Europe and Australia lead the way in this respect. Yeah, there's gonna be errors, like in the case of prison for profit that happens in some states which opens the door for corruption, but to blanket the whole system as bad based on the complaints of convicted criminals?

    yeah, you can take that elsewhere. This bank don't cash that cheque.

    What's with the bleeding hearts boys? Compassion to the weak and needy, not to the vultures, they're already dead are they not?
    In canada, about 85% of the prison polulation are there for either drug offences or some sort of theft or scam to get money for dope. It's mostly junkies up in there. More adequate drug counselling would make a real difference. On the inside and the outside. So I wouldn't go as far as calling them all "victims", I would say that they aren't all evil people. The statistics tell the whole story to anyone caring enough to look.
    I don't waste my time feeling sorry for junkies, but I do feel that more needs to be done to help stop the spread of something this infectious. For every middle class educated druggie reject, there are 100 poor marginalized people who had a very high chance of ending up a junkie from the get-go. I see this as a social problem. All the legalities are simply effects of this massive social ill. For the other 15% filling those cells, well they can cease to exist for all I care. My hope is that one day we can severly reduce the prison poluation by stemming these issues before they get out of control. I have tons of suggestions. I'm not just whining. Of course when a crime occurs, it must be dealt with. But this isn't a black and white issue by any means. But why are you so willing to just ignore the whole thing cause most people did infact commit a crime to get there? Do you not see how easy it would be to reduce the amount of crime? We have had the answers for a long time. We just don't wanna pay for them. We'd rather spend 3 times as much caging people up and pretending like we're all good. Fukcing blinders, so annoying. Ignorance may be bliss but only a true as$hole wants to achieve happiness that way. Even worse is the fact that it's simply a natural state of thought for most people. baaaah baaaah baaahh. sheep.

    And while I'm on about it, I may as well bring up the fact that as a society we are becoming far too dependant on pharmaceuticals. I'm not saying all drugs are bad, and I'm glad we have what we have. I'm just saying it will be a problem in the reletively near future. I see it clear as day.

    And why don't these crime and punishment cats go after the white collars that just ripped off the american taxpayer for a s1tload of paper. A junie goes to prison for holding, but an executive that rips off 4 mill seems to just fade away. It will just keep happening opver and over again untril there are some real consequences. Where are all these so called righteous mu'fukcas on this one?
    Last edited by Syn7; 01-05-2012 at 04:23 PM.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    There has to be some provision for reintegrating criminals into society. The idea of locking people up permanently or without a chance to become reestablished is unsustainable. Some people actually regret what they've done, and if you set them up for failure, you've helped create a career criminal.

    I recall during an anthropology course that western civilization is more preoccupied with punishing people for crimes than actually fixing the problem. I tend to agree.
    you learn more about crime in prison than anywhere else. Without proper re-integration it's not hard to understand why so many re-offend. Especially since it's usually drug related and those issues aren't properly dealt with.

  13. #13
    In Brazil there were the agricultural prisons, in which the inmates had to work in the fields in order to grow their own food; the surplus was either stocked or sold. Prisioners were also taught a trade, generally something related to leather or metal working. The idea behind it was similar to the russian prison you read about in Memoirs of The house of the Dead, now that I come to think about it.

    Such systems, although not perfect, are more suited to the purpuse of reintegrating offenders than the current "sit-on-your-ass" play going on in many prisons today. I can't be certain, but I suspect that giving inmates some hard work would also decrease the rampant violence that goes on inside prisons.

    As for the constant beatings and the rapes, I can't help but feel bad for those people; nobody truly deserves that. I don't believe most of the people who are incarcerated are emotionless psychopathic beasts that some make them out to be, and, even if they were, such a painful existence should not be supported by the public order - its simply not ethical nor socially useful.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Chi (Chicago)
    Posts
    942
    Quote Originally Posted by Sardinkahnikov View Post
    As for the constant beatings and the rapes, I can't help but feel bad for those people; nobody truly deserves that.
    And how is a person subject to that daily going to be when released?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Chi (Chicago)
    Posts
    942
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale Dugas View Post
    of course it can, start with taking away all free weights. They are outlawed. leave them to use their own bodyweight.

    Take the drugs out of prison. as well as the steroids.

    There are more drugs in than out of prison, WTF?

    People that are in prison for life should be removed, destroyed and their remains used for drug trials, experiments etc rather than cost the US Taxpayer over 100,000 per inmate per year.

    They have better healthcare than I do, yet I never broke any laws.

    They have better food that is free, I dont get free food nor free health care.

    They seem to have more rights than the people they robbed, killed, raped, murdered, ate, etc.

    Time to get real about it.

    Life in prison is a joke. There should be no one in prison for life, as that means you are to be removed from the mortal coil.
    Great insight, Dale! I agree, except I hear the food sucks, lol. But it is free though...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •