Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 339

Thread: Are there real Shaolin Monks?

  1. #1

    Are there real Shaolin Monks?

    Someone told me that after the Chinese Cultural Revolution in the '60s, the Commies shut down the Shaolin Temple and all the Monks either fled or were incarcerated or worse, killed off. As the Temple decays after many years, Martial Artists worldwide started donating money to sustain its upkeep.

    Then once China became capitalistic, they reopened the Temple and turned it into a Chinese Disneyland with a Shaolin Temple theme. And it's now populated with the Chinese Wushu Team, dressed up as Shaolin Monks, doing parlor tricks to earn tourism dollars and teaching classes to anyone with a checkbook.

  2. #2
    in the sense of real buddhist monks training martial arts, yes. the real monks dont live in the main tourist "temple", but the outer shrines. the main temple is for making money.


    as a real military fighting force with its own politial power, no, it does not fit the traditional criteria of "monk soldiers".

    25th generation inner door disciple of Chen Style Practical Wombat Method
    Officially certified by Ethiopian Orthodox patriarch Abune Mathias
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat™®LLC Practical Wombat Method. international academy retreat

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    ᏌᏂᎭᎢ, ᏥᎾ
    Posts
    3,257
    Whoever gave you your information is a rather misinformed themselves. There are monks who were ordained long prior to Cultural Revolution who remained in and around the monastery and lived through the 1990's and 2000's, teaching many people. Some of their disciples still live at the monastery. Some of the older ones have rooms in the main yards, others live in the newer dormitories at the side and rear of the monastery. That said, currently there is a much larger number of young monks who have joined up in recent years due to the martial arts craze. But older traditionally trained, Chan knowledgeable monks are still there. Sort of behind-the-scenes of the tourist attractions, there is still regular Buddhist practice taking place. In fact, the majority of Shaolin monks aren't wuseng. That is just a small part that gets the attention because that's what the monastery is famous for.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    41
    In fact the information in some way is right!

    The other thing is, yeah there are still monks at the temple.
    But if you look to the history of the temple its allmost allways been like that.
    Governement politics inside the temple, think of the 13 Monks Rescue the Tang Emperor ... Dynasty (960-1279).

    A good thing to know history of shaolin well is read the book, shaolin temple written by Meir shahar.

    The best in it gerne, and you can find it cheap on second hand, and for the IPAD lovers epub is allmost free.

    http://www.amazon.com/Shaolin-Monast.../dp/082483349X


    But please do not think that you will arrive there sit in the rain for day's and suddenly a monk will call you and train you privatly in the temple or arround. THAT IS CALLED MOVIES


  5. #5
    Good info, thanks.

  6. #6
    There are real Shaolin monks that dwell in the USA, come and go back to China actually. We had one here recently and he was more Buddhist Shaolin monk than a kung fu monk. In fact, its difficult for them when they live in USA and quite a struggle for them.

    Regardless, if they decide to focus their "monk hood" on buddhism or kung fu- they all have to train in kung fu first. Its part of their Shaolin system- kung fu, mediation and buddhism. You can't have the mind without the heart which is Chan-Zen and vice versa.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Canada!
    Posts
    23,101


    Died in 1960, Before the CR. Extremely well known throughout SE Asia.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanak View Post
    But please do not think that you will arrive there sit in the rain for day's and suddenly a monk will call you and train you privatly in the temple or arround. THAT IS CALLED MOVIES

    Well.....unless you cut your own arm off, then they will take you right away!!!!


    Maybe not to the temple though!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    ᏌᏂᎭᎢ, ᏥᎾ
    Posts
    3,257
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaolinDiva View Post
    Regardless, if they decide to focus their "monk hood" on buddhism or kung fu- they all have to train in kung fu first.
    Where did you get that idea? That's not true at all.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaolinDiva View Post
    Regardless, if they decide to focus their "monk hood" on buddhism or kung fu- they all have to train in kung fu first. Its part of their Shaolin system- kung fu, mediation and buddhism.
    Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    Where did you get that idea? That's not true at all.
    Uh......... *****Diva?

    Divas get to make up their own facts........that's why they are called Divas!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NW Arkansas
    Posts
    1,392
    Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    Where did you get that idea? That's not true at all.
    She has some weird notions. I remember her trying to tell me once before about feeling chi fields from her master miles away or some nonsense. IIRC, he is/was a student of Yanming.
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    Well.....unless you cut your own arm off, then they will take you right away!!!!


    Maybe not to the temple though!
    hehehehe thats a good one!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Fremont, CA, U.S.A.
    Posts
    44,282

    gunbeatskroty

    Read my book.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Read my book.
    That looks very interesting.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    Whoever gave you your information is a rather misinformed themselves. There are monks who were ordained long prior to Cultural Revolution who remained in and around the monastery and lived through the 1990's and 2000's, teaching many people. Some of their disciples still live at the monastery. Some of the older ones have rooms in the main yards, others live in the newer dormitories at the side and rear of the monastery. That said, currently there is a much larger number of young monks who have joined up in recent years due to the martial arts craze. But older traditionally trained, Chan knowledgeable monks are still there. Sort of behind-the-scenes of the tourist attractions, there is still regular Buddhist practice taking place. In fact, the majority of Shaolin monks aren't wuseng. That is just a small part that gets the attention because that's what the monastery is famous for.
    I should have made myself more clear as I was referring to the Shaolin Kung-Fu fighting monks, in a sense that they were pretty much wiped out after the Cultural Revolution. They had Kung-Fu monks and non-Kung-Fu monks at the temple. Now it looks like they have a those who joins to train Shaolin KF with or w/o the Buhdism aspect.

    And since then and up to the re-opening of the temple, like in 2008 or something, there hasn't been enough time to train any formidable Shaoling Kung-Fu fighters and most of the ones floating around are fake and really Chinese Wu Shu fighters....which actually makes them even better fighters than the Shaolin ones anyway. Like this guy, Yi Long:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1WZvuS-mMM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •