Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 44

Thread: It's not in the forms

  1. #16
    This reminds me of this scene
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0dPKs3qwz0
    "All the skill in the world won't hold up to a real confrontation if you are too afraid to use it."

  2. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Skill View Post
    This reminds me of this scene
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0dPKs3qwz0
    this is more realistic
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HLO3vmbmXM

    25th generation inner door disciple of Chen Style Practical Wombat Method
    Officially certified by Ethiopian Orthodox patriarch Abune Mathias
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat™®LLC Practical Wombat Method. international academy retreat

  3. #18
    is that Billy from Double Dragon
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJwphXaZ-VA
    "All the skill in the world won't hold up to a real confrontation if you are too afraid to use it."

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    2,111
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    How will you be able to know that a certain technique is not from "cross training" if it's not in the forms? Your thought?
    Quote Originally Posted by -N- View Post
    Have a legit teacher and pay attention?
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    My teacher integrated XingYi Pi Chuan into his Taiji "cross leg". If I didn't know that my teacher had "cross training" in the XingYi system, I may think that Pi Chuan exists in the Taiji system.
    Your teacher was legit, and you paid attention when he told you about his other training. So what's the difficulty?

  5. #20

    it's not in the forms

    Quote Originally Posted by -N- View Post
    Have a legit teacher and pay attention?
    So if you say it ' s not the forms then ? Then what you really mean is work closely with the sifu himself and ask him questions then right ? Or esle how do you really expect to learn something from the sifu right ?

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Shell Beach, CA, USA
    Posts
    6,664
    Blog Entries
    16
    If you are a style founder, and you have created 10 forms for the system that you have created. Is there any reason that you don't want to include some of the most important piece of information in your forms?
    http://johnswang.com

    More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

  7. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    If you are a style founder, and you have created 10 forms for the system that you have created. Is there any reason that you don't want to include some of the most important piece of information in your forms?
    To hide the "real" stuff.

    First give me 20k baishifei then I might tell you a bit more.
    Last edited by xinyidizi; 08-08-2013 at 12:29 AM.

  8. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    Personally, I always thought of purity as a lack of sophistication. But that's just me.
    Kind of akin to inbreeding...
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

    You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

  9. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    If you are a style founder, and you have created 10 forms for the system that you have created. Is there any reason that you don't want to include some of the most important piece of information in your forms?
    Some stuff doesn't translate well in forms....like most grappling, for instance...
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

    You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

  10. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    If you are a style founder, and you have created 10 forms for the system that you have created. Is there any reason that you don't want to include some of the most important piece of information in your forms?
    mongols were the fiercest warriors but they didn't train boxing, only shuai Jiao. are the mongols "incomplete" in their training?

    25th generation inner door disciple of Chen Style Practical Wombat Method
    Officially certified by Ethiopian Orthodox patriarch Abune Mathias
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat™®LLC Practical Wombat Method. international academy retreat

  11. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    mongols were the fiercest warriors but they didn't train boxing, only shuai Jiao. are the mongols "incomplete" in their training?
    I'm pretty sure the Mongol success derived mostly from their military tactics, secondly from their archery and horsemanship. Their Bokh probably served to strengthen the spirit.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

    You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    2,111
    Quote Originally Posted by lance View Post
    So if you say it ' s not the forms then ? Then what you really mean is work closely with the sifu himself and ask him questions then right ? Or esle how do you really expect to learn something from the sifu right ?
    There you go

    Though some teachers prefer to tell you when they think you are ready, rather than have you ask lots of questions.

    That's not to say you shouldn't be thinking. But if you actually demonstrate an understanding, then the teacher may want to build on that by giving you more stuff.

    Kung fu is about doing, more than about talking.

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    2,111
    Sometimes its hard to tell who's patience is being tested more, the student's or the teacher's.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    22,250
    No form or series of forms can "catalog" all the techniques of any system, especially one that is evolving, like any decent system is.
    What they can do is serve specific or multiple purposes.
    They can be development forms such as the sanchin/sanjian/sam boo gin ones.
    They can catalog the basics of certain levels.
    They can store the "favorite" moves of a particular master.
    They can store moves that are the "heart and soul" of a system.
    etc, etc.

    Do MA systems need forms for all that? No, of course not.
    Are they useful when used properly? yes, of course they are.
    Do they contain ALL? Nope, of course not.
    Should they contain what makes the system, THE system? Yes, of course.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

  15. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I'm pretty sure the Mongol success derived mostly from their military tactics, secondly from their archery and horsemanship. Their Bokh probably served to strengthen the spirit.
    kung fu people obsess over empty hand effectiveness because they got humiliated by MMA. they invested into kung fu hobby to increase their self confidence. its all one ego stroking fantasy quest.
    Last edited by bawang; 08-08-2013 at 10:27 AM.

    25th generation inner door disciple of Chen Style Practical Wombat Method
    Officially certified by Ethiopian Orthodox patriarch Abune Mathias
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat™®LLC Practical Wombat Method. international academy retreat

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •