Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gina Carano

Gina Carano

How is it we don't have a Gina Carano thread here? (we had one but it was deleted by the initial poster)

Some significant Carano threads:
    Fast-and-Furious-6
    Avengelyne
    Haywire-starring-Gina-Carano
    In-the-Blood-starring-Gina-Carano

And of course, our MMA threads:
    Gina-in-ESPN-Magazine

Gina-Carano-vs-Cristiane-"Cyborg"-Santos-Strikeforce-8-15-9

Any-news-on-Gina-Carano-fighting-again?
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Ah, she is a hottie, not much doubt in that.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

I LOVE HER!

with that said, i don't think she would be able to beat ronda rousey ... sigh ... dream matchups fans will never see

Unbound: Almost Human Season 1 Ep 9

I want a Gina Carano fembot. My birthday is coming up. Now you all know what to get me.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

You Chang Bai Ginseng Single Malt is on the way, brother.

Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

hold the phone....

I ask for a Gina Carano fembot and what I get is a Dugas-blend You Chang Bai Ginseng Single Malt? Ah well, beggars can't be choosers, I suppose.

Dale, we might indeed share a tipple of your abominable brew at the Tai Chi Gala. I'm attending this year.

Also, for the record here, there's an update in the In The Blood thread.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

She was pretty good in that fast furious movie.

I vote gina to play wonder woman. She has the jaw line and muscular body type, those rarely combined with a pretty face.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

So much for Almost Human

They need to do a spin-off based just on Gina Carano fembots.

Fox Drama ‘Almost Human’ Cancelled
    By NELLIE ANDREEVA | Tuesday April 29, 2014 @ 7:04pm

EXCLUSIVE: I have learned that Fox has opted not to pick up a second season of Almost Human. The futuristic drama starring Karl Urban and Michael Ealy got off to a sluggish start in November but held enough ground to at least earn renewal consideration, often finishing on par with its Monday companion (the already-renewed drama The Following). In fact, the March season (and series) finale of Almost Human logged a 1.5 rating in 18-49, matching the Live+Same Day rating for last night’s finale of The Following. (The Following is a bigger DVR draw). Almost Human‘s chances started to slip once Fox’s drama pilots started to come in. All three of them — Gotham, The Red Band Society and Empire – are considered strong contenders for a series pickup. That didn’t bode well for Almost Human. Also, it is produced by an outside studio, Warner Bros TV, which also has The Following and the sure-to-be-picked-up Batman prequel Gotham. Almost Human, about a cop (Urban) paired with a lifelike combat-model android (Ealy), comes from the Fringe team of JJ Abrams and J.H. Wyman. Elsewhere in Fox bubble land, the renewal chances for Seth MacFarlane-produced freshman comedy Dads appear to have gone up in the past few days.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Remember Gina?

She may not have been as good a fighter as Rousey or Holm, but she's still my fav.

Plus I need to add some new movie projects:
    Heist
    Extraction
    Kickboxer Vengeance (Kickboxer remake)

MMA star, actress visits Fort Leonard Wood
    November 25, 2015
    By Mrs. Martha Yoshida (Leonard Wood)

After spending years to gain acceptance as a female in the world of mixed martial arts, Gina Carano, now an actress, was put to a different test when she recently visited Fort Leonard Wood last month in preparation for her next possible movie role.

"I was introduced to acting one week after I lost my first MMA fight," Carano said. "I welcomed the break. I had just spent years and years in gyms and in fights and dealing with promoters and the public's complete confusion of females being accepted in this world of MMA. No female had gotten to the level I had. There was no path; just a ton of shrubbery, and I was the first to get hit hard."

While Carano still trains every day and considers mixed martial arts an important aspect of her life, she is eager to continue to expand her acting career.

"I came to visit Fort Leonard Wood through my producer friends, Caspian Tredwell-Owen and Jasmine Reid," Carano said.

Tredwell-Owen is the writer/director for "Island," "Beyond Borders," "Stardust," and "Profile of a Killer," while Reid produced "Stuck Between Stations" and "Into Temptation."

"We are doing research for a possible movie about a Soldier returning home from war," said Carano, a Dallas County, Texas, native. "We wanted to observe and participate in Soldiers' everyday lives and hear their stories."

Tredwell-Owen added, "I wanted to prep Gina for playing the role of a battle-scarred Soldier returning from Afghanistan by immersing her in the experience she would have gone through in training, the bonds she would have made and the hardships endured. We also wanted to gain insight on the experience of female Soldiers versus male; to discover differences, if any."

The 1st Engineer Brigade accepted the challenge to provide Carano, who is best known for her roles in "Haywire," "Fast and Furious 6," and "Deadpool," with a glimpse of military life.

Carano's first day started at 5:30 a.m. as she joined more than 800 engineer Soldiers for a battalion run.

"I had never seen anything like it," she said. "They put me right in the front, behind the flag holders. It all felt very surreal."

"I loved the sound and the beat of all the Soldiers' feet and voices going together as one during cadence," Carano added. "The cadence called 'When My Granny,' struck a chord, because my grandma is pretty hardcore, too."

"Now, whenever I run, I think about my left foot and the grandma that we sang about," she said.

After the run, a Soldier explained to Carano that members of the Army do more before 9 a.m. than most people do all day, and with that, Carano headed out to the Confidence Course where combat engineers were training.

"I looked at the course and thought there is no way I'm going to do this," she said, as she confessed she had a fear of heights. "My whole body was shaking on every one of the height obstacles."

Following a stop at the basic rifle marksmanship range, Carano rounded out her 16-hour day patrolling with Sapper Leader Course Soldiers.

It was an adventure to watch sleep-deprived Soldiers work together to solve problems to complete their mission, Carano said.

Sapper Leader Course cadre showed Carano how to apply a tourniquet, heat up an MRE (meal ready to eat) and sling on a 90-pound ruck sack.

"I tried on some of the ruck sacks and realized that this is what these men and women have been carrying for days," she said. "I was just glad I had been doing my squats, so I could stand up with the ruck sack on and walk around for a few minutes."

The second day of Carano's visit provided additional introductions to combat skills training with a visit to the weapons simulator, bridging operations and more time in the rainy woods to observe breaching operations with the Engineer Basic Officer Leader Course.

Having missed out on dinner the night before, Carano graciously accepted a home-cooked spaghetti dinner, which was made by a military spouse.

Carano took time out to show respect to fallen engineers by visiting the Engineer Memorial Grove.

The third day of her visit wrapped up with a tour of the barracks and a stop at the post combatives training facility.

"Gina seemed down-to-earth and very eager to learn what she could about Soldiers in the military," said Sgt. 1st Class Phillip Rhoades, 1st Engineer Brigade, operations noncommissioned officer in charge. "Gina was not afraid to face her fears and participate in some of the obstacles on the obstacle course, or to put in a 16-hour day observing training to better understand the life of Soldiers. She never hesitated to ask questions. She was hungry for knowledge for this role."

Carano was motivated by the entire experience.

"I wish more people would get to have the experience I did," Carano said. "I will hold this experience close to me for a lifetime."

Tredwell-Owen added, "Our visit illuminated the personal side of military life, the level of commitment, conscience and faith in purpose that is required not only to succeed, but survive in a combat environment."

Carano looks forward to preparing for her future role and said she was most inspired by the sense of purpose that was demonstrated during her visit.

"There's something you have when you do something like this with your life that I respect more than anything else, and that is, you live your lives with purpose. Each person I met at Fort Leonard Wood walked, talked, laughed and marched with purpose. And by hearing all of your stories as to what that purpose is, all I can say is thank you. From the bottom of my heart, thank you to you all."
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Still the sexiest and classiest female fighter I know.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

A nice overview of Gina so far...

Gina Carano Movies and TV Spotlight
    BY BLAIR MARNELL ON JANUARY 26, 2016

Take a look back at all the different Gina Carano movies.

Before she takes on Deadpool, we’re looking back at all the Gina Carano movies and TV shows!

Long before Ronda Rousey became a MMA crossover sensation in film, Gina Carano paved the way. Carano established herself as an MMA superstar and slowly made her transition into acting. Admittedly, Carano’s early films were more notable for her fighting skills than her acting, but she’s shown considerable improvement across an increasingly diverse range of projects.

Next month, Carano will be portraying Angel Dust in the Deadpool movie, a lesser known character from Marvel’s comic book universe. But because Angel Dust is one of the main antagonists in Deadpool, it could considerably raise Carano’s profile again.

Before Deadpool opens on February 12, ComingSoon.net has assembled a retrospective of her Hollywood career to date. And it looks like 2016 is going to be a good year for Carano!

Gina Carano Movies and TV Spotlight: Fight Girls (2007)

Fight Girls is one of the early Gina Carano movies.

Imagine if the Oxygen network attempted to ape Spike’s “The Ultimate Fighter” by making a reality show following female MMA fighters. That actually happened nine years ago, when “Fight Girls” made its debut. But the series only lasted a single season.

Carano was one of the mentors on the show, and “Fight Girls” turned out to be her first Hollywood credit. And despite the early end of the show, “Fight Girls” still looks better on her resume than her two years on NBC’s “American Gladiators” revival.

Gina Carano Movies and TV Spotlight: Blood and Bone (2008)

Blood and Bone is another of the early Gina Carano movies.

It takes a certain amount of ambition to attempt to make the leap from MMA to movies. Blood and Bone was Carano’s first film, and she wasn’t alone. Fellow MMA fighters Bob Sapp, Kimbo Slice, and Maurice Smith were also in the cast that was headlined by Michael Jai White.

Carano only had a small role in this direct-to-video film, but at least her character’s name was memorable: Veretta Vendetta.

Gina Carano Movies and TV Spotlight: Haywire (2011)

Haywire was one of the Gina Carano movies that really got the star noticed.

Haywire is the movie that really got people to notice Carano. Despite Carano’s relative lack of experience, director Steven Soderbergh put her in the film’s leading role as ex-Marine Mallory Kane and essentially built the film around Carano’s fighting abilities. Carano did most of her own stunts when facing off against a much more established supporting cast, including Michael Fassbender, Ewan McGregor, Bill Paxton, Channing Tatum, and Antonio Banderas.

Haywire’s staging was impressive and Carano’s action sequences were highly praised. However, some critics were not as high on Carano’s acting abilities and they weren’t shy about saying so.

Gina Carano Movies and TV Spotlight: Fast & Furious 6 (2013)

The Gina Carano movies list includes her role in Fast and Furious 6.

Prior to landing Deadpool, Fast & Furious 6 was Carano’s biggest movie to date. She played Riley Hicks, the right-hand woman of DSS agent Luke Hobbs (Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson) and Carano had very memorable fight scenes with Michelle Rodriguez’s Letty Ortiz.

For reasons that become clear in the movie, Carano won’t be back for any further Fast & Furious sequels… which is a shame. If certain facts hadn’t come to light during Fast & Furious 6, Letty’s fight with Ronda Rousey’s Kara in Furious 7 could have been the dream MMA match that we’ll never see: Carano vs. Rousey.

Gina Carano Movies and TV Spotlight: In the Blood (2014)

The Gina Carano movies list continues with In the Blood.

While In the Blood once again put Carano in the leading role, it felt like a step backwards after Haywire and Fast & Furious 6. In this film, Carano played Ava, a woman who attempted to find her husband, Derek (Cam Gigandet), after he went missing during their honeymoon in the Caribbean.

But In the Blood was a very low-budget, direct-to-video film that was barely seen. And the critics who did see it had nothing good to say about it.

Gina Carano Movies and TV Spotlight: Almost Human (2014)

Almost Human is another of the many Gina Carano movies.

Fox’s short-lived sci-fi series “Almost Human” gave Carano her first TV gig as an actress. She played Danica, an out of control military grade android who gave John Kennex (Karl Urban) and his android partner, Dorian (Michael Ealy), more than they could handle. But it was only a one-shot guest spot and the series was over a few episodes later.

Gina Carano Movies and TV Spotlight: Heist (2015)

The list of Gina Carano movies also includes Heist.

When tracking Carano’s career, it appears that her progression actually went backwards. She was starring in theatrical films and then somehow she fell back into direct-to-video movies. Heist continued her DTV adventures, but at least she was surrounded by a surprisingly impressive cast including Robert De Niro, Jeffrey Dean Morgan, Dave Bautista, Morris Chestnut, and Kate Bosworth.

But if you’re checking out Heist solely for Carano, feel free to skip this one. She only has a small role as a cop in this movie.

Gina Carano Movies and TV Spotlight: Extraction (2015)

Extraction was one of the more recent Gina Carano movies.

In Extraction, Carano had third billing after Bruce Willis and Kellan Lutz, but the movie was a bomb even by direct-to-video standards. The story revolved around Harry (Lutz), a CIA agent rejected for field work who embarked on an unsanctioned mission to rescue his dad, Leonard (Willis).

This film was given a limited release in theaters last month, where it earned just over $16,000. That kind of says it all, doesn’t it?
    continued next post
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

continued from previous

Gina Carano Movies and TV Spotlight: Deadpool (2016)

Deadpool is one of the Gina Carano movies that we can't wait to see.

Deadpool represents a big opportunity for Carano to regain some of the momentum of her earlier career. The early buzz on the film is that it could be a strong mid-level performer for 20th Century Fox, despite Deadpool’s relatively unknown status outside of comic book fandom.

In a way, it’s fitting that Carano is playing Angel Dust, a character so obscure that even Marvel fans barely have an idea about who she is! Angel Dust was created for the short-lived Morlocks comic book series, and then promptly written out of the X-Men related titles. Her powers include super strength and enhanced speed. For some reason, lines appear on her face when she uses her powers.

For the purposes of the Deadpool film, Angel Dust is being envisioned as the right-hand henchwoman of the villain, Ajax (Ed Skrein). So if nothing else, we should get a Deadpool vs. Angel Dust fight scene.

Gina Carano Movies and TV Spotlight: Kickboxer: Vengeance (2016)

The slate of upcoming Gina Carano movies includes the action sequel Kickboxer Vengeance.

While Deadpool is Carano’s highest profile project in a long time, it’s not her only movie this year. She is also co-starring in Kickboxer: Vengeance, a reboot of the Kickboxer movie from 1989.

Carano is the female lead of Kickboxer: Vengeance, alongside Alain Moussi, Dave Bautista, and original Kickboxer star Jean-Claude Van Damme. Carano is playing a fight promoter named Marcia, but hopefully she’ll get to throw a few punches in the film itself.

I would totally poach this if I make it to that Deadpool screener next week, but I know all of this already. It's all here on our forum.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Gina is the lead in this?

Hmm. I must retract the "supporting actress" comment I made on Ronda's thread. My apologies. You go, Gina! Call me, mkay?

Gina Carano has some people to kill in poster for post-apocalyptic action thriller Scorched Earth
    FEBRUARY 9, 2017 BY GARY COLLINSON

The first poster has arrived online for Scorched Earth, the upcoming action thriller from director Peter Howitt (Sliding Doors, Johnny English), which stars Gina Carano as Atticus Gage, a bounty hunting tracking down criminals in a post-apocalyptic Earth. Check it out here, along with the official synopsis…

The planet has suffered an environmental collapse; the air became dangerous to breathe, the water became toxic, and billions of people died. Generations later, mankind has finally re-established a rudimentary society, in an attempt to pick up the pieces that continue to blister in the sun. Gage (Gina Carano) is a bounty hunter and she has a chance at the bounty of a lifetime. She infiltrates a gang of outlaws in order to bring in their leader, and everything is going to plan until she meets a slave girl that reminds her of her dead sister. With her loyalty to only herself now tested, Gage learns that there might be more to life than just survival.

Scorched Earth is slated for release later this year, with Carano starring alongside Ryan Robins, John Hannah, and Dean S. Jagger.
    Also, here's our tardy Deadpool review addition to this thread for archival sake: What the Hell is a DEADPOOL Anyway? by Patrick Lugo and Gene Ching. A bit of a mis-call in retrospect, but we can't always be on point.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Gina Carano

APRIL 07, 2017 3:15pm PT by Borys Kit
    Gina Carano Joins Jason Mewes' Meta Movie 'Madness in the Method' (Exclusive)

By Joe Scarnici/FilmMagic/Getty Images

Mewes is starring in the dark comedy, which he co-wrote and is directing.

MMA champion-turned-actress Gina Carano is wrapping up shooting Madness in the Method, the directorial debut of Jay and Silent Bob actor Jason Mewes.

Described as a “meta movie,” the story is a dark comedy that tells of an actor named Jason Mewes attempting to reinvent himself in Hollywood.

Mewes is starring as himself and co-wrote the script with Christ Anastasi and Dominic Burns. Mewes is also producing with Burns and Rob Weston.

Carano is playing Mewes’ wife in a role that should showcase another side to the actress, who established herself as an action star with movies such as Haywire, Fast and Furious 6 and, more recently, Deadpool.

Among those making appearances in the movie is Mewes’ pal Kevin Smith and Teri Hatcher.

The film’s executive producers include Garry Collins from Red Rock Entertainment.

Shooting is taking place in Los Angeles and Derby, United Kingdom.

Carano is repped by Gersh, Scott Karp of The Syndicate and Ziffren Brittenham.
    Mewes cracks me up. Looking forward to this one.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Gina Carano

Next from Gina.

Richard Dreyfuss, Gina Carano and Brendan Fehr to Star in Action Thriller DAUGHTER OF THE WOLF
    TV News Desk Mar. 26, 2018

Minds Eye Entertainment, Falconer Pictures, VMI Worldwide, and QME Entertainment announced today that principal photography has begun on DAUGHTER OF THE WOLF in Kelowna, British Columbia. The action thriller stars Richard Dreyfuss, Gina Carano and Brendan Fehr.

Ex-military specialist, Clair Hamilton, returns home from her tour in the Middle East to the recent news of her father's passing only to find herself at odds with her defiant 13-year-old son, Charlie. When word spreads about Clair's large inheritance, Charlie is kidnapped and held for RANSOM by a local gang led by a mysterious figure known only as "Father". Desperate to save her son, Clair captures one of the kidnappers and forces him to lead her on a perilous journey deep into the Alaska Mountains. With a winter storm approaching, the odds of survival begin to mount against Clair. To rescue her son, she must form an unlikely alliance with the kidnapper and survive the wild of the far North.

Richard Dreyfuss (Jaws, Mr. Holland's Opus) stars as "Father" and Gina Carano (Haywire, Fast & Furious 6) as Clair Hamilton. Brendan Fehr (Final Destination, "Roswell") plays Larsen, the kidnapper turned hostage. Rounding out the cast is Anton Gillis-Adelman ("Designated Survivor," Birthmarked) as Clair's son Charlie and Sydelle Noel ("Glow," Black Panther) as villainous kidnapper, Hobbs.

DAUGHTER OF THE WOLF is directed by David Hackl (Saw V) and written by Nika Agiashvili (Tbilisi, I Love You). It is produced by Kevin Dewalt (Forsaken, The Tall Man), Danielle Masters (Forsaken, Wolfcop) and Benjamin Dewalt (The Recall, The Humanity Bureau) of Minds Eye Entertainment along with Doug Falconer (The Warrior's Way, Forsaken) of Falconer Pictures and VMI Worldwide in association with Invico Capital and The Fyzz Facility. Executive Producers include Andre Relis, Jason Brooks, Allison Taylor, Wayne Marc Godfrey, Robert Jones, Robert Bricker, Marcel Leblanc, Charles Saikaley, Tamer Abaza, Craig Baumgarten, Berry Meyerowitz, Nika Agiashvili and David Hackl.

Dreyfuss is represented by APA, Gina Carano is represented by The Syndicate, Fehr is represented by Roar and Hackl is repped by APA and attorney Eric Feig.

The film is produced with the financial participation of Creative Saskatchewan and the Screen-Based Media Production Grant with the participation of the Province of British Columbia Production Services Tax Credit and the Canadian Film Or Video Production Tax Credit.

This will be the third co-venture for Minds Eye Entertainment and QME Entertainment who are releasing the Nicolas Cage Sci-Fi Action Thriller, The Humanity Bureau in April and the Christina Ricci/ John Cusack Psychological Thriller, Distorted in June. This is also the third film in a six-picture production slate for Minds Eye Entertainment and VMI Worldwide.<

Minds Eye International and QME Entertainment have North American distribution rights to DAUGHTER OF THE WOLF while VMI Worldwide has international rights.

Established in 1986, Minds Eye Entertainment is one of Canada's most prolific independent production and distribution companies. Recent credits include: THE TALL MAN (Jessica Biel), FACES IN THE CROWD (Milla Jovovich), LULLABY FOR PI (Rupert Friend, Clemence Poesy, Forest Whitaker), Stephen King's DOLAN'S CADILLAC, (Christian Slater), GRACE (Jordan Ladd) which premiered to fainting festival goers at the Sundance Film Festival, FORSAKEN (Kiefer Sutherland, Donald Sutherland, Brian Cox and Demi Moore), THE RECALL (Wesley Snipes), THE HUMANITY BUREAU (Nicolas Cage) and DISTORTED (Christina Ricci and John Cusack). For more information about Minds Eye Entertainment, please visit http://www.mindseyepictures.com

Established in 1998, Falconer Pictures is a Los Angeles based film company with offices in Canada focused on the production of independent and studio based films. Upcoming films include Why Should White Guys Have all the Fun starring Jamie Foxx, Superstition, Rules of 3's starring Ludacris and The Magician, The Marlin Briscoe Story. For more information about Falconer Pictures, please visit http://www.falconerpictures.com

VMI Worldwide is a leading independent film distribution, financing and production company based in Los Angeles, California. Founded in 2010 by Andre Relis, some of VMI Worldwide's titles include THE CHINESE WIDOW starring Crystal Liu and Emile Hirsch, THE LAST MAN starring Harvey Keitel and Hayden Christensen, OUTLAWS AND ANGELS starring Luke Wilson (a Sundance 2016 selection) HELLION starring Aaron Paul and Juliette Lewis, WICKED BLOOD, starring Abigail Breslin and Sean Bean, GALLOWWALKERS with Wesley Snipes, and WHY STOP NOW starring Jesse Eisenberg, Melissa Leo and Tracy Morgan. VMI has moved heavily into in-house productions, titles including WAR PIGS starring Dolph Lundgren, THE PERFECT WEAPON starring Steven Seagal, THE RECALL starring Wesley Snipes and RJ Mitte, THE HUMANITY BUREAU starring Nicolas Cage. For more information about VMI Worldwide, please visit http://www.vmiworldwide.com/
    I still haven't seen Scorched Earth.

THREADS:
    Daughter of the Wolf
    Gina Carano
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips