Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 356

Thread: Obasse & Kevin Gledhill chi sau

  1. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
    Well apparently neither did Kevin think there was chi sau there. At the end he says "This, er, isn't chi sau" to which Shawn replied, "well what is it?". As Kevin begins to explain "well it's er...", Shawn interrupts and looks to the camera, with a slightly disappointed look, and waves his hand commanding the camera man to "stop". I assume that because Shawn just wants to try to embarrass people and make a name for himself, a little bit of information was superfluous to his video recording purposes. Is it me or are we seeing an agenda here between Izzo, Shawn, the 52blocks guys and a few others?
    The agenda is always the same - people promoting themselves/their method. To be fair, I think Kevin said: "This isn't our Chi Sau."

    Maybe Obassi is doing the Wing Chun that Kevin used to do and so Obassi is thinking using the conceptual framework that Kevin tells us he's moved on from now that he has a real understanding of what VT is.

    But seriously, the problem for me is not Obassi's agenda or that the Gor Sau was recorded, but what we see in it. I didn't expect to see any quality from Obassi, but I was a bit shocked to see this from Kevin. Obassi's attacks might have been all over the place, but he's a big guy and he put the pressure on... and Kevin was defending rather than... well, the things he talks about when describing PBVT on this forum.

    I'm a little shocked as Kevin has spent many, many posts telling people here that their Wing Chun is based on misconceptions and faulty logic, and yet when a big chap in Gor Sau applies some pressure, I don't see from Kevin the superior method he's been pitching.

  2. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by BPWT. View Post
    The agenda is always the same - people promoting themselves/their method. To be fair, I think Kevin said: "This isn't our Chi Sau."

    Maybe Obassi is doing the Wing Chun that Kevin used to do and so Obassi is thinking using the conceptual framework that Kevin tells us he's moved on from now that he has a real understanding of what VT is.

    But seriously, the problem for me is not Obassi's agenda or that the Gor Sau was recorded, but what we see in it. I didn't expect to see any quality from Obassi, but I was a bit shocked to see this from Kevin. Obassi's attacks might have been all over the place, but he's a big guy and he put the pressure on... and Kevin was defending rather than... well, the things he talks about when describing PBVT on this forum.

    I'm a little shocked as Kevin has spent many, many posts telling people here that their Wing Chun is based on misconceptions and faulty logic, and yet when a big chap in Gor Sau applies some pressure, I don't see from Kevin the superior method he's been pitching.
    I think to be fair to Kevin he held his own against a stronger guy. I could clearly see PBVT and you can tell he has a sound understanding of his boxing forms and how they use shapes and strucrure.

    Obasi is just freeing it up and not so regermented. Both guys are good my my humble opion.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    ᏌᏂᎭᎢ, ᏥᎾ
    Posts
    3,257
    On Obassi's Facebook page he was at first promoting a "challenge fight", but later came back and said he changed his mind about fighting but still went to meet him.

    What it looks like is Obassi asked him to chi-sau, which Kevin looked like he was trying to do (it's a cooperative drill), but Obassi's motive was to spazz out trying to fight him... or something, whatever he was doing.

    A cheap tactic to make Kevin look bad and himself good?

    Epic fail on both ends.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4,381
    we finally get to see a video of Kevin in action...after all this time waiting....my god!!
    and to top it all off its a thread he cant delete

  5. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    we finally get to see a video of Kevin in action...after all this time waiting....my god!!
    and to top it all off its a thread he cant delete
    Yes, and his amazing PB Wing Chun can't handle someone stronger than him. After all the abuse he has given, he has gone silent. Sad day for PB Wing Chun.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4,381
    Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    On Obassi's Facebook page he was at first promoting a "challenge fight", but later came back and said he changed his mind about fighting but still went to meet him.

    What it looks like is Obassi asked him to chi-sau, which Kevin looked like he was trying to do (it's a cooperative drill), but Obassi's motive was to spazz out trying to fight him... or something, whatever he was doing.

    A cheap tactic to make Kevin look bad and himself good?

    Epic fail on both ends.
    epic fail, kevin could handle any forward pressure without moving backwards, didnt land any strikes and got lit up like a christmas tree, all in about 25 seconds, if it had been a challenge fight i know who my money would have been on lol

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    ᏌᏂᎭᎢ, ᏥᎾ
    Posts
    3,257
    Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    epic fail, kevin could handle any forward pressure without moving backwards, didnt land any strikes and got lit up like a christmas tree, all in about 25 seconds, if it had been a challenge fight i know who my money would have been on lol
    Where do you see that he got "lit up"? Obassi was just doing a whole bunch of nothing. If I were in the same situation, I too would have paused and asked Obassi quizzically if he actually wanted to do chi-sau or just fight- because he was doing neither. Kevin just looked confused as to what they were actually supposed to be doing.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4,381
    Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    Where do you see that he got "lit up"? Obassi was just doing a whole bunch of nothing. If I were in the same situation, I too would have paused and asked Obassi quizzically if he actually wanted to do chi-sau or just fight- because he was doing neither. Kevin just looked confused as to what they were actually supposed to be doing.
    i agree kevin looked confused, probably because he couldn't actually do anything to Obassi, and he took 2 knees and about 4 or 5 palms to the face in less than 30 seconds.....and couldnt get anything offensive off himself, that is being lit up

  9. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    i agree kevin looked confused, probably because he couldn't actually do anything to Obassi, and he took 2 knees and about 4 or 5 palms to the face in less than 30 seconds.....and couldnt get anything offensive off himself, that is being lit up
    Its just a mess about on both sides. Its so obvious to see. Kevin was holding off and shawn was doing stuff like jumping knees which all looked tip tap! Anyone who jusges this as a real contest needs a reality check. Hats off to Kevin for having shawn down to play and hats off to shawn for going out there and playing.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    ᏌᏂᎭᎢ, ᏥᎾ
    Posts
    3,257
    Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    i agree kevin looked confused, probably because he couldn't actually do anything to Obassi
    What were they supposed to do? Do you think this was a fight?

    That's the problem with two people with vastly different ideas about what chi-sau is doing it together. When one guy tries to fight from it, it results in both looking rather silly. Then critics who don't understand it want to evaluate it as if it were a fight.

    It's clear to anyone who knows anything that Kevin was obviously not trying to fight while Obassi was, although not very well. If Kevin stopped trying to get into chi-sau format with him and just starting free striking, I think it would have looked much different.

    Of course, Obassi's quick to cut the camera when Kevin begins to give his critique and explain what his chi-sau is. That's something that should have been on video as well. But Obassi got the footage he wanted, apparently. It's embarrassing if he's proud of himself.

    The oxymoronic title "Chi Sao Challenge Match" shows how retarded he is and I doubt Kevin was under the same impression that that was what they were doing.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    1,781
    I thought the same thing. It LOOKS like Kev was asked 'to chi sau', and then Shawn spazzed out and kev was just baffled. Could Kev have stepped it up too? Most likely. But if you're asked to 'chi sau', maybe Kev was trying to do just that and didn't want to escalate into a fight (which is exactly what it would have turned into). Then after the fact, Shawn labels it as a 'chi sau challenge match' which is the most stupid thing I've ever hear in my life.

    Curious if Kev knew this was some 'challenge match' from the beginning. Hopefully Kevin comes in here to clear it up.

    On another point, I'm not a big fan of 'chi sauing' with other people specifically for this reason - too many people view differently. Some, it's as just a drill and others chi sau skills are for fighting. Too much misinterpretation and different understandings.
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Louisville Kentucky
    Posts
    1,218

    "That Was Not Chi Sao"

    It’s hard for me to offset someone’s clip, because they’re trying their best to top each other. Really it’s not their fought; the blame would lay on the ‘upbringing or Sifu’ of each practitioner.

    Which in whom themselves would be considered “Dangerous but Inept”, creating a cultural sense of superiority among their seminar babies. Meaning; not keeping them humble or true to their abilities (the quick fix). And or speaking on how great they are, even above the level of their own teacher.

    By trying to fill the room for each seminar event and while mostly speaking on “what’s wrong with other systems”, stuff like this begins to happen. And it creates a tempestuousness attitude abroad.


    Take care,

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    359
    Regarding what is happening and what is not: Two guys with different concepts about what they are about to do decide to work out. Shawn had some sort of "challenge" in mind, while Kevin complies with his request for Chi-Sao. There is an obvious weight difference between the two, so Shawn has this in his favor. Shawn does his best to throw Kevin out of balance while losing balance himself. Kevin manages to retain his balance throughout most of Shawn's attempts. Shawn clings to/grabs Kevin's arms through a good part of the work-out, thus not allowing Kevin to do much; Shawn's strength helps in that regard. However, given Shawn makes his striking conditional to grabbing/clinging and is quite out of balance, most of his shots end up being slaps with no ground support and with less power than Shawn could have generated with it. So balanced stance, punching power, avoiding to chase hands, and punching readiness (all of which are skills that you work on when doing the Chi-Sao drill) are all gone. What's the point then? If you want to grab and wrestle, go and train good BJJ. If you want to test your skills in Wing Chun (at the end of the day a striking art) spar. Everything else, including thinking that the video is worth posting, is a waste of time.
    Dio perdona... Io no!

  14. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Ali. R View Post
    It’s hard for me to offset someone’s clip, because they’re trying their best to top each other. Really it’s not their fought; the blame would lay on the ‘upbringing or Sifu’ of each practitioner.

    Which in whom themselves would be considered “Dangerous but Inept”, creating a cultural sense of superiority among their seminar babies. Meaning; not keeping them humble or true to their abilities (the quick fix). And or speaking on how great they are, even above the level of their own teacher.

    By trying to fill the room for each seminar event and while mostly speaking on “what’s wrong with other systems”, stuff like this begins to happen. And it creates a tempestuousness attitude abroad.


    Take care,
    I think there are a lot of people, myself included, that could learn a lot from what you have just said. It would be useful to hear Kevin's POV but I am not sure it is going to be forthcoming. Looking at Obasi's other clips I still feel there is an agenda there and that this meeting with Kevin was a little bit of a set up, particularly given how it is being presented by Obasi on his youtube page. It fits with with what I have seen Obasi do elsewhere.

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    ᏌᏂᎭᎢ, ᏥᎾ
    Posts
    3,257
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
    Looking at Obasi's other clips I still feel there is an agenda there and that this meeting with Kevin was a little bit of a set up, particularly given how it is being presented by Obasi on his youtube page. It fits with with what I have seen Obasi do elsewhere.
    Absolutely. Quite the ego for a man of such meager skills.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •