Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24

Thread: Iron body training questions

  1. #1

    Iron body training questions

    I have two questions regarding iron body training.

    1) Rollerbar method. I heard it shouldn't be used. Instead the goal is to do impact strikes only and only on bones, not muscle. Is this all true?

    2) Sand bucket for grip. Does this help and are there any risk to it?

  2. #2
    how long have you been training iron body and what is your style

    25th generation inner door disciple of Chen Style Practical Wombat Method
    Officially certified by Ethiopian Orthodox patriarch Abune Mathias
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat™®LLC Practical Wombat Method. international academy retreat

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    how long have you been training iron body and what is your style
    Years ago I went through quite a bit of iron body training when working on the basics of kung fu without ever realizing. Started in Shaolin Do but didn't get very far since I quit the school. When I was in Shaolin Do I ordered the dit da jow ingredients from Jim Lacy and added in my own alcohol to the mix. The jow probably wasn't needed but it helped out a lot with the recovery process.

    Now I'm studying Dragon. My sifu is pretty opened minded about how we start the training as long as it isn't something that is going to cause injury. For now, we focus on 3 star blocking* with the dummy and each other. Hits to the ribs to condition the body during training exercises. For legs, the goal was to kick a pole but my legs aren't at all tough enough for this yet so he recommend that I try to find another method to get them stronger.

    I'm just trying to find out which alternative method would be best to follow.

    * I believe it's called 3 star blocking. When I looked it up on youtube the movement of the arms are similar but the stance work and hands positions are very different.

    3 star link

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    379
    Quote Originally Posted by Wannabemonk View Post
    Years ago I went through quite a bit of iron body training when working on the basics of kung fu without ever realizing. Started in Shaolin Do but didn't get very far since I quit the school. When I was in Shaolin Do I ordered the dit da jow ingredients from Jim Lacy and added in my own alcohol to the mix. The jow probably wasn't needed but it helped out a lot with the recovery process.

    Now I'm studying Dragon. My sifu is pretty opened minded about how we start the training as long as it isn't something that is going to cause injury. For now, we focus on 3 star blocking* with the dummy and each other. Hits to the ribs to condition the body during training exercises. For legs, the goal was to kick a pole but my legs aren't at all tough enough for this yet so he recommend that I try to find another method to get them stronger.

    I'm just trying to find out which alternative method would be best to follow.

    * I believe it's called 3 star blocking. When I looked it up on youtube the movement of the arms are similar but the stance work and hands positions are very different.

    3 star link


    Bodies toughen up natrually through training. I would recommend that you avoid snakeoil salesmen with potions and magic qi practices - simply holding pads for people and doing sparring and basic rolling exerices will begin to toughen you up quite naturally. Rugby players are tougher than almost any so called iron body masters. Sandbags can be used for impact practice, for example on the thighs. And never, ever, take 'iron body' advice from someone whose body looks as far from being 'iron' as it is poossible to be, lol - and there are quite a few out there. Naturally, those who can't do this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZOvlJdN37E but claim to have 'kung fu iron body skill' have a lot to be embarrassed about, and so tend to emphasise less clear 'examples' of so called 'iron body'. Still, what always impresses me is when people take super powerful kicks to the thighs.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Wannabemonk View Post

    I'm just trying to find out which alternative method would be best to follow.
    gentle tapping with a stick and neck bridges

    25th generation inner door disciple of Chen Style Practical Wombat Method
    Officially certified by Ethiopian Orthodox patriarch Abune Mathias
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat™®LLC Practical Wombat Method. international academy retreat

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    2,111
    Quote Originally Posted by Wannabemonk View Post
    For legs, the goal was to kick a pole but my legs aren't at all tough enough for this yet so he recommend that I try to find another method to get them stronger.
    Your teacher doesn't have an another method to teach you?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    2,111
    Quote Originally Posted by Wannabemonk View Post
    Does this help and are there any risk to it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wannabemonk View Post
    My sifu is pretty opened minded about how we start the training as long as it isn't something that is going to cause injury. For now, we focus on 3 star blocking* with the dummy and each other.
    If you do iron leg training wrong and then play Xbox for 13 hours, you might die from a stroke.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by -N- View Post
    If you do iron leg training wrong and then play Xbox for 13 hours, you might die from a stroke.
    wat

    sfsdf

    25th generation inner door disciple of Chen Style Practical Wombat Method
    Officially certified by Ethiopian Orthodox patriarch Abune Mathias
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat™®LLC Practical Wombat Method. international academy retreat

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    2,111
    Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    wat

    sfsdf
    Blood clots, mang.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by -N- View Post
    Blood clots, mang.
    that's why you don't learn training from watching bloodsport

    25th generation inner door disciple of Chen Style Practical Wombat Method
    Officially certified by Ethiopian Orthodox patriarch Abune Mathias
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat™®LLC Practical Wombat Method. international academy retreat

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    2,111
    Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    wat

    sfsdf
    Wii can be slightly less hazardous.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    2,111
    Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    that's why you don't learn training from watching bloodsport
    Bloodsport movie marathon. Darwinism in action. I approve.

  13. #13
    if you trained "years ago" and the only kung fu you learned was shaolin do (LOL) I recommend you just let go of your ego and desires and train for health. do some gentle tapping and light weit lifting. you get to stay mobile in your joints, reduce osteoporosis and have better overall health

    if u try to go hardcore you gonna get wrecked in 2 months then quit kung fu forever
    Last edited by bawang; 03-06-2014 at 06:39 AM.

    25th generation inner door disciple of Chen Style Practical Wombat Method
    Officially certified by Ethiopian Orthodox patriarch Abune Mathias
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat™®LLC Practical Wombat Method. international academy retreat

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    North Canton, OH
    Posts
    1,848
    Quote Originally Posted by Wannabemonk View Post
    I have two questions regarding iron body training.

    1) Rollerbar method. I heard it shouldn't be used. Instead the goal is to do impact strikes only and only on bones, not muscle. Is this all true?

    2) Sand bucket for grip. Does this help and are there any risk to it?
    Since no one has answered your original questions, I'll jump on those.

    Roll bar method: Slightly helpful. Doesn't hurt to do it. Though Bawang is correct, tapping with a stick or bundle of wire is the most helpful.

    Sand bucket for grip. Again slightly helpful, but excess practice can possibly lead to carpal tunnel syndrome. Again, as Bawang said, lifting weights will get the same job done and increase your over all health.

    Name:  April 2010a.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  78.6 KB

    Not too bad for a guy in his fifties I think.
    Last edited by mooyingmantis; 03-06-2014 at 02:11 PM.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

    There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

    53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

    Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

  15. #15
    have u lost weight or just not showing ur belleh

    strong back of ox

    25th generation inner door disciple of Chen Style Practical Wombat Method
    Officially certified by Ethiopian Orthodox patriarch Abune Mathias
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat™®LLC Practical Wombat Method. international academy retreat

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •