Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 30

Thread: Gary Lam & Jin Young(chinaboxer) controversy?

  1. #1

    Hawkins Cheung & Jin Young(chinaboxer) controversy?

    Hello all.

    I've seen at least two mentions now at various places around the web that there is some issue involving Hawkins Cheung & Jin Young, but I have no other details than that, so was hoping someone here could shed some light on it.
    Last edited by Reborn Mantis; 03-16-2015 at 09:50 PM. Reason: I mistakenly named Gary Lam instead of Hawkens Cheung

  2. #2
    Have no idea. I have a couple of Lams dvds. He is most certainly skilled and understands a lot. I get lost with some of what he shows. Beyond my understanding as I have never studied that system. But if you are a wing chun guy you may get a lot out of his videos.

    Chinaboxer has to my eyes, excellent youtube uploads.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by boxerbilly View Post
    Have no idea. I have a couple of Lams dvds. He is most certainly skilled and understands a lot. I get lost with some of what he shows. Beyond my understanding as I have never studied that system. But if you are a wing chun guy you may get a lot out of his videos.

    Chinaboxer has to my eyes, excellent youtube uploads.
    Chinaboxer took down all his Wing Chun videos and has put up 8 or so new videos that are not supposed to be Wing Chun specific.

    Dominick Izzo mentioned in passing on one of his own videos that there had been some issue involving Gary Lam & Jin Young, but didn't say any more than that.

    When asked by various people why he took his old videos down, Jin Young's explanation has been brief & not convincing to me, that his reason of "my fighting style has changed so much since I put those videos up & I didn't want to confuse anyone", is all there is to the matter.

  4. #4
    That sucks. I really liked his videos on Wing Chun. I have no idea what he does now but maybe it is as simple as he states. He no longer does it and does not want to teach it.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Henderson, NV
    Posts
    126
    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn Mantis View Post
    Dominick Izzo mentioned in passing on one of his own videos that there had been some issue involving Gary Lam & Jin Young, but didn't say any more than that.
    Anything Izzo says has to be taken with a grain of salt, and I believe that is something he has said about himself numerous times LOL.
    Last edited by Almost A Ghost; 03-15-2015 at 12:27 PM.

  6. #6
    Not a big Izzo watcher. Have nothing bad to say about him but I prefer others stuff over his. Chinaboxer was one of those guys!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    4,699
    The controversy was not with Gary Lam. It was with Hawkins Cheung.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

    WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    The controversy was not with Gary Lam. It was with Hawkins Cheung.
    Thank you for clearing that up.

    I must admit I thought it odd that Gary Lam's name was mentioned when Hawkins Cheung as Jin Young's sifu.

    I don't suppose you have a link or any info that sheds more light on this matter?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Great Lakes State, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,633

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmStriker View Post
    Doesn't explain why he took down his old videos or what the issue with Hawkins Cheung is about.

  11. #11
    I Believe these are the two videos you are referring to?

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaW4vtV1mFk

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYF5...Y&spfreload=10

    I don't know what exactly these two guys are referring to, but I might be able to shed some light.

    I live in Southern California, back in 2013 I trained at Hawkins Cheung's school for about 2 months, unfortunately I had to stop going because of a scheduling conflict and a 2 hour commute, but it was a great place to train, Hawkins and his students have unsurpassed skill, knowledge, mechanics, and body structure when it comes to Wing Chun, it was really amazing to be a part of it even though it was a short time.

    In one instance, Sifu Hawkins mentioned Jin Young's videos and how he did not like them, I really never got the gist of why he didn't like them. Fast forward a year later, I started training with some of Hawkin's students, eventually Jin Young came up in conversation.

    I asked them what Hawkins thought of Jin's videos, and they told me that, he doesn't like that Jin is trying to teach his Wing Chun method and putting it on the internet for the whole world to view, and he was upset that Jin Young never got Sifu's permission to do so.

    Also he didn't like the fact that Jin Young was traveling the world doing seminars making money off of youtube and using Hawkin's name to do so, he felt that he wasn't at his school long enough to claim to teach "Hawkins Cheung's Method.

    I think this was part of the reason why Hawkins Cheung released all those videos a couple of years ago, because all of the attention Jin was getting at the time, Hawkins wanted to show his method in his own words.

    I trained with some pretty well known people in the Wing Chun community and some are not fans of Jin Young for some reason, I have no idea why, I personally always liked Jin Young's videos, I thought he was a great teacher, and had very informative information when it comes to Wing Chun body structure, but I've never met, trained or touched hands with him so who knows.

    I don't know what piece of news broke out recently that there is controversy between Jin and Hawkins Cheung, I did a goole search myself and found nothing but this thread.

  12. #12
    GREAT ! We can't watch them anymore because Hawkins is mad Jin is making more money than he is. Im sure Jin PAID his dollars and dues. NOT GOOD ENOUGH !

    Sad. But they are Jin's videos and his choice.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by JKWingchun View Post
    Yep, well found. ;p

    I don't know what exactly these two guys are referring to, but I might be able to shed some light.

    I live in Southern California, back in 2013 I trained at Hawkins Cheung's school for about 2 months, unfortunately I had to stop going because of a scheduling conflict and a 2 hour commute, but it was a great place to train, Hawkins and his students have unsurpassed skill, knowledge, mechanics, and body structure when it comes to Wing Chun, it was really amazing to be a part of it even though it was a short time.

    In one instance, Sifu Hawkins mentioned Jin Young's videos and how he did not like them, I really never got the gist of why he didn't like them. Fast forward a year later, I started training with some of Hawkin's students, eventually Jin Young came up in conversation.

    I asked them what Hawkins thought of Jin's videos, and they told me that, he doesn't like that Jin is trying to teach his Wing Chun method and putting it on the internet for the whole world to view, and he was upset that Jin Young never got Sifu's permission to do so.

    Also he didn't like the fact that Jin Young was traveling the world doing seminars making money off of youtube and using Hawkin's name to do so, he felt that he wasn't at his school long enough to claim to teach "Hawkins Cheung's Method.

    I think this was part of the reason why Hawkins Cheung released all those videos a couple of years ago, because all of the attention Jin was getting at the time, Hawkins wanted to show his method in his own words.

    I trained with some pretty well known people in the Wing Chun community and some are not fans of Jin Young for some reason, I have no idea why, I personally always liked Jin Young's videos, I thought he was a great teacher, and had very informative information when it comes to Wing Chun body structure, but I've never met, trained or touched hands with him so who knows.
    Thank you for that insight.

    It does sound like Jin Young took down his videos because Hawkins Cheung was unhappy about it.

    Did Jin do this simply because he didn't want to offend his sifu?

    Does this mean that Jin is no longer training with Hawkins & if so, is there anyone who is his current sifu these days.

    I don't know what piece of news broke out recently that there is controversy between Jin and Hawkins Cheung, I did a goole search myself and found nothing but this thread.
    Maybe instead of "controversy", I should have used the word "issue" instead, and yeah, a Google search didn't provide me with any info, so I started this thread hoping someone could shed more light, because like you, I also enjoyed Jin's videos.

  14. #14
    I think it is a crock of shi-------t. He should be proud of his student not jealous over fame and the money he made. I love how these TOP DOGS always do that. I trained him. He sucks. He does everything wrong. Well, then I guess you suck as a teacher and should go flip burgers because what else do you know how to do? Obviously not teach well because you say Jin basically sucks. Heard that same crap 10 times from other guys. My student sucks. A week ago you were telling everyone he is the best you ever had.

    Jins were some of the best Wing Chun youtube videos I have ever seen.

    But again, Jin can do what ever he likes with his videos. Jin was great!

  15. #15
    Okay, I re-read that. Maybe he did not say specifically Jin sucked. But still, is it now not Jins Wing Chun? When does it become Jins Wing Chun? Jin is never supposed to teach it until his teacher dies? Or is Jin supposed to send checks forever when he does teach it?

    So you pay. You learn. You actually bring more attention to yout teacher, Yet you must serve indentured servitude until the teacher dies? A very common scenario in so many things. YOU OWE ME !

    That's how I take this. Im prone to over reacting but often Im spot on. Just think it is wrong.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •