Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 63

Thread: Weird how..

  1. #1

    Weird how..

    ..nobody posts here any more.

    Always some browsing, never any posting. A shame because it was a great place for funny arguments and different perspectives.

    Would be great to see Graham H, Kev, LFJ, Alan Orr, Hendrick, Wayfaring and the other MMA guys, or any of the other controversial posters back posting. If you read it, just do it. No hard feelings

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    5,714
    Quote Originally Posted by guy b. View Post
    ..nobody posts here any more.

    Always some browsing, never any posting. A shame because it was a great place for funny arguments and different perspectives.

    Would be great to see Graham H, Kev, LFJ, Alan Orr, Hendrick, Wayfaring and the other MMA guys, or any of the other controversial posters back posting. If you read it, just do it. No hard feelings
    A personal view - I got weary of the "me (Hendrik) or my teacher (Kev, Graham) is the only guy who has a clue and here's 6000000 videos that all look pretty much the same to prove it" crowds. We've been through the MMA vs WC theoretician arguments several hundred times.

    Anyone that comes on with some idea and says "most WC guys don't do/understand this!" is usually ignored. You can't possibly know what I or anyone else, let alone "most WC guys" know, can do, or understand.

    My view of the "snake engine" and "force flow" stuff is that it is like basic or intermediate level taiji, and most of those demonstrating it are doing so in controlled situations with compliant partners who just about all would get run over in short order by a competent wrestler or judoka. Including (perhaps especially) Hendrik.

    The only threads that have got much traction lately are those posting clips made by someone who is not on the forum being critiqued (denigrated) by posters who have no clue of the related back story or why it was made. These usually devolve quickly into polarised b!tchfests. Not what I'm interested in, I'm more interested in ridiculing those who claim special insight (implying the rest of us are clueless), show stuff that manifestly won't work (especially against grappling, a subject I have some knowledge about), or criticise other styles, and MMA, BJJ, boxing etc. that they obviously have no clue about.

    I respect stonecrusher69 for putting his clips up regularly and usually find them to be pretty good. However I think they usually stand up for themselves without me putting in my $0.02.

    To be honest, my WC these days is restricted to forms on my own 2-3 times a week. I spend all my formal training time on Jiu Jitsu and that is where my current interests lie.
    Last edited by anerlich; 07-02-2015 at 03:52 PM.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

    WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    2,252
    Quote Originally Posted by guy b. View Post
    ..nobody posts here any more.

    Always some browsing, never any posting. A shame because it was a great place for funny arguments and different perspectives.

    Would be great to see Graham H, Kev, LFJ, Alan Orr, Hendrick, Wayfaring and the other MMA guys, or any of the other controversial posters back posting. If you read it, just do it. No hard feelings
    I think youll find that most of the folks that still check on the forum have been for a long time and, basically, that nothing new comes up to elicit a response.

    Personally, i havent seen a "new" topic for a long time....it all been said before

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    2,252

    Talking

    To be honest, my WC these days is restricted to forms on my own 2-3 times a week. I spend all my formal training time on Jiu Jitsu and that is where my current interests lie.

    Thats 2-3 times a week more than me!

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    I think youll find that most of the folks that still check on the forum have been for a long time and, basically, that nothing new comes up to elicit a response.

    Personally, i havent seen a "new" topic for a long time....it all been said before
    Come off it, up until about a year ago you were all at each others throats on a daily basis. You can't just suddenly have got bored? To me it looks more like the controversial ones left, leaving no discussion possibilities. This is why I think it would be great if all those mentioned came back.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by anerlich View Post
    My view of the "snake engine" and "force flow" stuff is that it is like basic or intermediate level taiji, and most of those demonstrating it are doing so in controlled situations with compliant partners who just about all would get run over in short order by a competent wrestler or judoka. Including (perhaps especially) Hendrik.
    Heh, i tend to feel that way too. But it is better to have that perspective here than totally gone surely?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    2,252
    Quote Originally Posted by guy b. View Post
    Come off it, up until about a year ago you were all at each others throats on a daily basis. You can't just suddenly have got bored? To me it looks more like the controversial ones left, leaving no discussion possibilities. This is why I think it would be great if all those mentioned came back.
    Youre missing the point, all those mentioned (me included), only joined in to argue....... there's no new topics to discuss

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    ᏌᏂᎭᎢ, ᏥᎾ
    Posts
    3,257
    I enjoyed having K&G post because it tended to bring out what people are actually thinking and doing with their WC when it comes down to it and why it will or won't realistically work, and the bits of insight into their own methods they'd sometimes drop. But they are done doing that by their own statements because no one gets what they're doing and it's just going in circles to no end to tell other people why they don't like what they're doing.

    Hendrik on the other hand was a complete troll. He was never having a conversation with anyone. He was just spamming his self-promoting crap and ignoring everyone's questions, comments, and objections just to **** them off. Classic troll behavior.

    I also kind of feel that it's all been said before. Every topic that does come up is a rehash of several before, and rarely is anything new gleaned from them.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    2,252
    I also kind of feel that it's all been said before. Every topic that does come up is a rehash of several before, and rarely is anything new gleaned from them.
    Exactly. And there is very little "new blood" as they tend to do different arts now (mma, bjj, Mt etc)

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    5,714
    Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    Exactly. And there is very little "new blood" as they tend to do different arts now (mma, bjj, Mt etc)
    I agree with this, too. IMO there isn't much more to see if you have been on here for a few years. Unfortunately Wing Chun as a traditional art is kind of static, with multiple entrenched camps, questioning or critique assumed to be an attack which must be dealt with immediately and with extreme prejudice, etc. etc. Because few try to evolve the art nothing new comes up, and those that dare to explore get derided for it.

    Also, and I am guilty of this, new people on the forum tend to be scared off by either getting their heads kicked violently when they first pop them above the parapet, or see all the squabbling and decide not to bother with this pack of keyboard warriors.

    It was entertaining seeing the meeting of the minds between Hendrik and the Snake/Crane guys hyped as being akin to Einstein meeting Tesla, and then have it all explode in huge detail, mutual hatred, and total vituperation all over the forum. Unfortunately, the best form of entertainment and satisfaction from the forum seems to be in the form of schadenfreude.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

    WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    I enjoyed having K&G post because it tended to bring out what people are actually thinking and doing with their WC when it comes down to it and why it will or won't realistically work, and the bits of insight into their own methods they'd sometimes drop. But they are done doing that by their own statements because no one gets what they're doing and it's just going in circles to no end to tell other people why they don't like what they're doing.

    Hendrik on the other hand was a complete troll. He was never having a conversation with anyone. He was just spamming his self-promoting crap and ignoring everyone's questions, comments, and objections just to **** them off. Classic troll behavior.

    I also kind of feel that it's all been said before. Every topic that does come up is a rehash of several before, and rarely is anything new gleaned from them.
    I also enjoyed the posts of Kev and Graham. What they talked about often chimed with what I think, while other times I disagreed. Whether you believed their efficacy claims or not; they used to discuss actual techical detail which was interesting.

    Hendrik was a troll, sure, but he also believed his own hype which was sometimes interesting. His presence also drew in those behind him like Robert Chu

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4,381
    The whole site slowed down dramatically when they went through a world of banningís a few years ago, when the likes of Terrence, knifefighter HW108 et all got banned this place started being less fun to visit, if we are honest not many come to these places to actually discuss or for information, its usually to have an argument or to show their way is the best, thatís the reason the wing chun forum got so many views and posts compared to the other forums, there were more arguments going on here and it was more interesting to read and participate in
    Even with the original culling this particular forum was still interesting because well wing chun guys are the most dogmatic hard headed and insecure guys in TCMA (Which is saying something!) and thus have the best arguments, two people in particular made this place fun Hendrik because he was so wacked out, and Kevin because he was such a ****, and by far the one pulling in the most posts and views was kewvin, they he took himself away from this place, some say it was because we simply werenít understanding his point of view, others because that clip with sean was so funny it destroyed him lol

    Either way without the lightening rod that was PBVC this forum has gone the same way as the others, I suspect the owners got what they wanted, a quite forum which still shows up on the search engines and draws people to the selling site, and not the wild west which they had to monitor and deal with law suits all the time

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    193
    It's not necessarily just the WC forum. The Southern forum is quiet too, though admittedly the discussions there never got quite as heated as the WC forum.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Shell Beach, CA, USA
    Posts
    6,664
    Blog Entries
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    there's no new topics to discuss
    I found a boxing clip that uses the CMA 6 harmony theory.

    Image that you tie ropes between your

    - right wrist and right ankle,
    - left wrist and left ankle.

    When you throw a

    - right punch, you lift your right foot. When you land your right punch, you land your right foot.
    - left punch, you lift your left foot. When you land your left punch, you land your left foot.

    In other words, during "punching", your

    - right hand coordinate with your right foot,
    - left hand coordinate with your left foot.

    It's so easy to understand and so easy to train. Does this follow or violate WC principle? What's your WC guy's opinion on this?

    From 1.00 to 1.47.

    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 07-04-2015 at 01:04 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

    More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Does this follow or violate WC principle?
    Hand foot coordination is a fundamental part of wing chun.

    But this clip is neither wing chun nor 6 harmonies. What's your point?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •