Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

Thread: Traditional Wing Chun- getting the blindside

  1. #1

    Traditional Wing Chun- getting the blindside

    TWC is a martial art style based loosely upon VT. It is a technique based style and one of the main stated approaches is attempting to attain the blind side using arm engagement and stepping around while maintaining distance.

    For example:



    This approach in TWC appears more concerned with maintaining distance than attacking centre. It is heavily focused on arm contact.
    Last edited by guy b.; 06-28-2017 at 04:01 AM.

  2. #2
    Superficially the TWC approach is similar to the Sabaki method used in Enshin and Ashihara karate, which are Kyokushin offshoots.



    The main difference is that Sabaki works to achieve blind side in real time vs resisting opponents (albeit Kyokushin opponents with limited lateral movement), whereas videos of TWC never show this happening. The reason for this difference is that Sabaki stresses a sleeve grip on the gi to prevent the opponent re-facing, has much deeper and more effective stepping patterns, and is not focused on playing with the arms. Sabaki type karate styles also utilise standard karate type rotational hitting whereby the sleeve grip loads up the other side to strike, allowing a strong kuzushi to effect the opponent's balance, while TWC appears more concerned with arm play which does not affect the opponent.

    In conclusion the TWC approach appears more a way of maintaining distance and avoiding the opponent than of attacking via the blindside.

    Thoughts?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    ᏌᏂᎭᎢ, ᏥᎾ
    Posts
    3,257
    Quote Originally Posted by guy b. View Post
    In conclusion the TWC approach appears more a way of maintaining distance and avoiding the opponent than of attacking via the blindside.
    A couple videos from the man himself I hadn't seen before show this rather clearly.

    Lots of predictable circling around and around at arms' length while swatting at the arms and never moving in to attack center.

    Last edited by LFJ; 06-28-2017 at 08:17 AM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    ᏌᏂᎭᎢ, ᏥᎾ
    Posts
    3,257

    ..........

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    A couple videos from the man himself I hadn't seen before show this rather clearly.

    Lots of predictable circling around and around at arms' length while swatting at the arms and never moving in to attack center.

    Hmm, yes he doesn't really engage centre at all. He steps back to maintain distance in fact. Working at this range, and with this approach, the only way to affect the opponent's balance and movement is to grab his sleeve as in the Sabaki karate clip. Messing with arms that can withdraw at any time does nothing.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    ᏌᏂᎭᎢ, ᏥᎾ
    Posts
    3,257
    Quote Originally Posted by guy b. View Post
    Hmm, yes he doesn't really engage centre at all. He steps back to maintain distance in fact. Working at this range, and with this approach, the only way to affect the opponent's balance and movement is to grab his sleeve as in the Sabaki karate clip. Messing with arms that can withdraw at any time does nothing.
    Correct. It's trading punches at arms' length. Not something to suggest against a good boxer.
    The constant circling to outside the opponent's lead leg gets very predictable, very soon, too.

    The whole strategy can be shut down with lateral movement to cut his circle off and keep him in front of the boxer.
    If you want to then maintain distance and swat at every punch, the boxer is the puppeteer pulling your strings and will set you up.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Dahlonega, GA USA
    Posts
    1,592
    Curious, could you guys post something showing you engaging with a Boxer so we can see how it should be done.
    Funny how you always put down TWC but they have people who have actually fought both on the street and in the ring.
    Who have you fought again??

    Also funny how you seem to imply that TWC is "loosely" based on VT yet William Cheung studied under Yip Man.
    TWC also has the centerline and motherline theories as well as the forms and core techniques like Taun, Fook and Bong. While you may not agree with the approach, your lack of agreement with how TWC, or any other lineage, does something does not make it wrong or in any way inferior to your approach.
    Peace,

    Dave

    http://www.sifuchowwingchun.com
    Wherever my opponent stands--they are in my space

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    ᏌᏂᎭᎢ, ᏥᎾ
    Posts
    3,257
    Quote Originally Posted by Sihing73 View Post
    Curious, could you guys post something showing you engaging with a Boxer so we can see how it should be done.
    Funny how you always put down TWC but they have people who have actually fought both on the street and in the ring.
    Who have you fought again??
    Criticism is not valid unless the critic can do and has done better, and can demonstrate it on video.
    Otherwise, no need to even consider the criticism, right?

    Can we say ad hominem?

    Also funny how you seem to imply that TWC is "loosely" based on VT yet William Cheung studied under Yip Man.
    Why is that funny? He obviously didn't receive much, or has greatly changed what he received to now only be loosely based on YMVT. It is undeniably very different.

    While you may not agree with the approach, your lack of agreement with how TWC, or any other lineage, does something does not make it wrong or in any way inferior to your approach.
    That has clearly not been claimed here.

    TWC methods have been considered on their own, and criticisms have been purely technical.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Dahlonega, GA USA
    Posts
    1,592
    LFJ,

    Your criticism of TWC is based on your perception of what would or would not work.
    As there are people who have shown an ability to make TWC work for them, whether or not you agree, I would propose that the issue is less with TWC and more with your inability to understand and make their approach work for you.

    Now that does not mean there is something wrong with you or you are in any way less than someone who can use TWC. It simply means you are unable to utilize their approach. Could be a myriad of reasons such as:
    1) Not knowledgeable of the system or approach to make it work.
    2) Lack of coordination
    3) Poor muscle memory
    4) Just not smart enough to grasp the concepts.
    I could list others but I think you get the idea.

    Is TWC perfect, I highly doubt it but then again it is not the approach I train.
    However, as I have said on many occasions, each approach has someone who can make it work for them.

    Based on the seemingly hard wired need for you and Guy to consistently attack TWC and KPM, I am kind of wondering if this is some kind of love triangle where you got burned.
    Peace,

    Dave

    http://www.sifuchowwingchun.com
    Wherever my opponent stands--they are in my space

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    ᏌᏂᎭᎢ, ᏥᎾ
    Posts
    3,257
    Further ad hominem...

    There is no evidence online that anyone can get this method to work, as it is not seen even in the many available fight videos online.

    There could be someone getting it to work who has not been caught on film, I suppose, but that is unverifiable, and I don't even know who this person is to investigate.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Dahlonega, GA USA
    Posts
    1,592
    Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    Further ad hominem...

    There is no evidence online that anyone can get this method to work, as it is not seen even in the many available fight videos online.

    There could be someone getting it to work who has not been caught on film, I suppose, but that is unverifiable, and I don't even know who this person is.
    While I am not a TWC guy these people have been known to have fought and also produced fighters;

    Phillip Redmond
    Rick Spain

    I am sure there are more but I do not have the inclination to find more.

    My position is that if you want to constantly attack something as not working you should be able to provide examples of yourself or your approach working.

    The real question is does anyone other than yourself and guy really care?? Me included
    Peace,

    Dave

    http://www.sifuchowwingchun.com
    Wherever my opponent stands--they are in my space

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    ᏌᏂᎭᎢ, ᏥᎾ
    Posts
    3,257
    Quote Originally Posted by Sihing73 View Post
    While I am not a TWC guy these people have been known to have fought and also produced fighters;

    Phillip Redmond
    Rick Spain
    Doesn't mean they used the blindside method. I've never seen it happen on any fight video from TWC.

    Also, I know Phil likes to brush people off by telling them he used to fight competitively, but he would never answer when asked for verification, and I've not been able to find any record of it.

    My position is that if you want to constantly attack something as not working you should be able to provide examples of yourself or your approach working.
    If you close your eyes and ignore the possibly valid criticism if the person pointing it out doesn't show themselves, this is just an ad hominem.

    The real question is does anyone other than yourself and guy really care?? Me included
    If you don't care, don't post. Sounds like you're wasting your time on something you don't care about?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Dahlonega, GA USA
    Posts
    1,592
    Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    If you don't care, don't post. Sounds like you're wasting your time on something you don't care about?
    I am just kind of bored today and this is something to do.
    Plus, I always disliked bullies and trolls who always attack others they do not like.
    Peace,

    Dave

    http://www.sifuchowwingchun.com
    Wherever my opponent stands--they are in my space

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    ᏌᏂᎭᎢ, ᏥᎾ
    Posts
    3,257
    Quote Originally Posted by Sihing73 View Post
    I am just kind of bored today and this is something to do.
    Plus, I always disliked bullies and trolls who always attack others they do not like.
    Who have I attacked that I don't like?

    Kind of seems like that's what you're doing with all the ad hominems in response to a technical discussion.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Sihing73 View Post
    I always disliked bullies and trolls who always attack others they do not like.
    Critically discussing something is not bullying or trolling.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •