Thread: Spirituality in Martial Arts (again)

Spirituality in Martial Arts (again)

I know we've had this subject before, and some people try to get a lot of spirituality out of their arts, and some people don't like the idea of it playing a role in MAs at all. Kyudo has a reputation for being one of the more "spiritual" arts, but I thought this exerpt from "Kyudo---The Essence and Practice of Japanese Archery" by Hideharu Onuma is really great and simple--I think it applies to most martial arts in general, and I thought I'd share it:

"We all have a natural need for balance in our lives. Consequently, we spend a great deal of time searching for it along various paths: religion or philosophy, the arts, our work, recreation or family and friendships. Though they may seem diverse, these paths all share a common ground: They add value and purpose to our lives and provide us with love, security, hope and a sense of self worth. In short, they help us deal with the challenges of life.

Kyudo is also one of life's paths, and it too can help us find balance, but kyudo by itself does not solve our problems nor add anything to our lives---at least not in the beginning. Instead, the practice of kyudo methodically peels away the protective layers of ego that we hide behind, until our true nature is revealed. Simply put, kyudo exposes our shortcomings. It is then up to us to make a thorough self-examination and balance our character accordingly. Thus, kyudo works in perfect harmony with the other paths. It is not meant to replace any of them, but it very nicely compliments them all."

if you die being attached to your money then you have more to lose than say
    if you died with a lot of attachment to your material things (like cars !! aiks !!), then you have more to lose than say
    if you died with attachment to your body, you have more to lose than say,
    if you simply just died.

Unfortunately for me, I do not know how to simply just die. I think many others dont either ...

Another crap post by me...

Smile

Martial arts are part of my spirituality, not vice-versa.
    " Better to be a warrior in the garden than a gardner at war."
    "Ni hao darlins!" - wujidude
    "I just believe that qi is real and good body mechanics have been masquerading as internal power for too long." - omarthefish

I don't need spirituality in Martial Arts, that's why I go to church.
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

I find that martial arts is mosre about spirit than spirituality.

Post spirituality in martial arts

This can be a real touchy subject in this country when we are dominated by a christian society. there are certain principles contained within martial art systems that will counteract the christian concepts. (i wont go into them) suffice it to say that in this western world we mainly focus on the "spirit" or "pride" aspect of martial arts training and competition. EGO. it is the driving force of this country's society. the need to "win" to get "ahead" to "strive". to overcome or defeat. As we have read when we pick up books on the subject of martial arts in culture, we find that these concepts that we as a nation live by counteract the principles and concepts of the martial culture.
    a good two books to read are by Tri Thong Dang. "the ultimate goal of the martial arts" and "martial artist what shall you become". they are quick reads but in my humble opinion convey the true aspect of the martial culture and martial arts in life and society. even though the story is set in an asian society ,one can cross over these concepts to western and really get a grasp of what the true nature and outcome of leading a martial arts path.

Many Respects, The Willow Sword
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

See. That's why Reemul kicked you azz so thoroughly.
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

As a friend of mine's once said "a man/woman on the battlefield without religion is just a beast"...

Oh and it was reemul that got beaten.
    killer kung fu commando streetfighter who has used his devastating fighting system to defeat hordes of attackers in countless combat situations

... . or a cold one if the jaw isn't really set from riggor mortis.
    where's my beer?

Red face

As always AND as usual my point is always made.

Many Respects, The Willow Sword
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

I have no first-hand experience in Kyudo. It's a well-written and interesting book, though---if you're looking for more info I think that would be a good place to start.