Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bai si at famous places?

Bai si at famous places?

I recently saw some people did a bai si at some museums and temples in China.

Isn't this just show?
    In old chinese culture this would be an insult to the ancestors?
    Is it just for promotion and to get money from Westeners?

How do you see this?

janice,your common sense serves you well,but not an insult but comedy.remeber the ancestors are pre-us,meanining if you are offended then you better not take their example,but if they think its great then their ancestors do.

the chinese are always think money full stop wether the get it from westerners or not.

be a peace your ancestors will guide you and they sure have a fine example of what they have produced.

sui

Is what you witnessed for demonstration puposes or exhibition of some kind? Were they somehow trying to promote something? How is it that this could cost you any money? Are you saying that they are "renting" facilities to hold this cermony?
    I believed that this is supposed to be a private ceremony.

I was there when bai si was done at the Quangzhou Shaolin Temple, the Wong Fei Hung Museum in Foshan and the Wong Fei Hung Lion Dance Centre.

No show, no disrespect to the ancestors, and no money deals.

It was promotion, as was the whole Southern Shaolin Tour of 2003. Those people that did bai si were either long time students of Chiu Chi Ling Sifu or from his students that where Sifu in their own right.
    Out of respect of the ancestors those 'sacred' places were chosen to do bai si. It gave the persons involved this special extra.
    Out of respect, and as part of the bai si, the students involved gave their Sifu (and Sigung) money in small red envelopes. Giving this out of respect and whatever they want to spend.

The bai si was only witnessed by martial artists, most of the Hung Gar style, and in the Quangzhou Shaolin Temple also by the martial monks, the abbot and three local grandmasters.
    Last edited by South Paw; 07-30-2003 at 02:16 AM.
    South Paw

Is this temple grave for Wong Fei Hung? Where is located? Anybody Hung Ga should want to pay respect there.

Chiu Chi Ling was movie actor, of course, and there is Shaolin Temple in Quangzhou?

donations

Any sacred place collects donations. It's tradition in China to offer money at any temple when you bow before the altars. So it's not an insult to the ancestors. Quite the opposite, actually.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

That's right Gene. Money was offered at these sacred places by Chiu Chi Ling Sifu for the whole group.
    South Paw

There are many people doing bai si there.
    Many do not offer donations. They get money from the students and that's it.

I haven't seen the one South Paw mentions, so I can't judge about that one.

I do feel though that some people now use bai si as a show.
    It's more for Westeners now than that it has to do with traditional Chinese culture.
    Maybe Westeners like Chinese things, just like we like Western things (and take their habits).

Gwai Lo ???

SiJiHao

Mind your language !!!
    South Paw

What meaning, money leave at the scared place. my soorry the language, each so long time writing! this my english not such high standard. You ask i question you what? please.

Gwai lo is a very normal word now.
    Maybe not in old times, but now it's common.

gwailo

hhmm, is that an acceptable term? That's a fair question. What about heigwai? Or laowai? They all have a derogatory connotation...
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Gwailo...racist term for a non-chinese...in the past and now!
    Do not know what the others mean Gene...but I will take your word on it.

GHD

Chiu Chi Ling Web Site say 3000000 student all over the world. Are theis one student Chinese? Westener? Who student go such Bai Si? What Sifu Chinese teach, 3000000 student help him? I cannot beleive such! Sorry.

You can see a picture of a Baisi on my homepage:
    www.hunggar.nl

Respect.
    Last edited by South Paw; 09-05-2003 at 11:03 PM.
    South Paw