Thread: 20-30 minute v-stretch hold

Thumbs down 20-30 minute v-stretch hold

I was told that holding the v-stretch, that is on the split stretch machine should be for 20-30 min. Is this the way i should do it, i mean how are most stretches 20-30 sec. when this stretch is 20-30 min. It feels like torture after 10 min. in this stretch so something must be wrong.

Also I was told to push my feet down while in this stretch how does this in anyway help me? and putting your face as far down to the ground as possible in this stretch. These 2 both being stretches within a stretch i guess.

This all being very confusing for me since i havent seen much results from doing this insane 20 min stretch. maybe im breaking to much tissue down.

Sounds pretty extreme to me.

how long do you stretch?

stretch

30-40 seconds, three or four reps, two or three times a day, if I find the time.
    7*tanglang Germany with regards...

Generally I think it's counterproductive to hold a stretch longer that a minute or so. More than that seems to make me tighten right back up.

I usually hold each stretch for 30 to 45 seconds for 2 or 3 sets.
    Big egos are fragile.

Where the violent see only violence, the skillfull can see skill.

"You cannot solve a problem with the same level of thinking that existed when it was created." Albert Einstein

Cheese Dog
    Generally I think it's counterproductive to hold a stretch longer that a minute or so. More than that seems to make me tighten right back up.
    thats the way i feel about what im doing

If you hold a stretch for 20-30 minutes, you'll cause plastic deformation in the connective tissues. That means stretching them beyond the point where they can rebound, otherwise known as loss of elasticity. That's generally a bad thing.

PLC

I could have possibly mistaken the guy who told me to do this, maybe he told me 20-30 seconds instead of 20-30 minutes. But im not that stupid my brother was with me when I went to buy that stretch machine he could have sworn the same thing.

Im still skeptical as to how long i should do this stretch because in my formal kung fu class my martial arts instructer use to get us doing the v stretch for atleast 5 minutes. I may be a little off but i know it was more than a couple of minutes.

Also its pretty confusing when you hear people say stretch light when on the other hand you see masters torturing their students into a full split.

I see now that this is off topic, but what type of stretches should I do to be able to hold a v-sit on my paralletes?

What the heck is a v-sit? I can hold an L-sit.

A v-sit is like an advanced L-sit, I think. Your legs are just higher.

but what type of stretches should I do to be able to hold a v-sit on my paralletes?

Um, you should be flexible enough to do a V-sit anyway, shouldn't you? Maybe I'm thinking of something else. Maybe tight hamstrings might prevent you from getting your legs high enough, but it's more likely a strength problem.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

According to my understanding you should hold a stretch for about 5-7 minutes to actually "expand" the muscle and to be able to stretch further next time. Holding a stretch for 20-30 seconds will only "warm it up" which is something we do before working out, etc.
    "Extra inch, extra power." -Tarm Sarm

I think it's both. But for now I'm doing negatives with straight legged pikes off the chinup bar which should have good carryover.