Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Northern Styles

Northern Styles

Any experience with Temple of Five Tigers style?
    Also wondering about forms called Fighting Dragon and Lung?

Welcome gummi, congrats on your first post.

What prompted the question? Do you have someone who says they studied these styles, or is it a local school in your area?

Educating myself...expanding my knowledge base...curiosity...

'Yes' to both of your questions.

Are you familar with those forms and that style?

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    They sound pretty bogus, I mean, suspect..
    Is there a link to the school that teaches this?
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

No, no link. It's super-secret-ancient-hidden-to-Western-eyes...
    Small "boutique" class.
    I just wondered if anyone had information about the forms. Are you saying there is no "Temple of Five Tigers" lineage/style/system?

Never heard of that particular group. Of course there are many offshoots of more mainstream systems given different names for various reasons. Obviously if someone is teaching this it exists, but there's no way to say exactly what it is without more info :-P "Lung" for example is just Chinese for "Dragon". So it's kind of weird to call a form "Fighting Dragon" in English, and then have another one just called "Lung".

Your reply is what I expected.

Listen, if there is a super secret kung fu that is unknown to the west, then maybe you won't find out about it on the internet.

I have personally never heard of any of the styles you mentioned, and my google fu produces nothing. I won't say it's bunk without seeing it in person, however. It's not unheard of to have a family style.

But then again, it could be some guy who watches a lot of videos and made something up. We're not really going to get down to the bottom of this by name alone. I might respectfully ask for a syllabus of some kind. What are some names of exercises, drills, and forms? Take a class, see how you like it, and come back with that kind of info, and we may be able to make a more informed assessment.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    They sound pretty bogus

plus one (+1)
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Thanks for the responses. It is a bit confusing and I'm trying to work my way through it respectfully.
    Is there Northern-style Lung?

Here's the thing. It's okay, up to a point. I do not want to disrespect the school or the people.
    But it's a little cultish, directed long-distance (from a looooong way away) by a single individual who will answer nothing that one would typically expect.
    Basic conditioning routines are the same as any. Blocks and kicks look pretty standard, but not named. They could be karate. It's a little mixed up and I don't know enough about Kung Fu movements to be able to tell.
    Forms are completely different with different names. If they're made up, they're still good and based on something. They came from somewhere.

What I can't figure out is where it came from and what it's based on.

I'm okay with taking it as it is. Even if it's unconventional, it delivers discipline, agility, form, develops memorization skills, etc., like any marital art. But I just don't know how much to commit to it. There's not a lot of options where I'm at - the way I see it is that something is better than nothing.

My biggest problem is that I don't like sneaky stuff. I don't like dishonesty. Adapting something is one thing - lying about it is another. That's where it reduces the value for me, my confidence in the school, and respect for the instructors.

"super-secret, hidden to western eyes?"
    Let me hazard a guess...the Sifu is not Asian...am I right?
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

My mission was not so much to talk about the particular school, but to discuss styles. There are very few resources to go to in my area.

Right. Not Asian, ethnicity or nationality. American, but trained at the Shaolin Temple since childhood. Doesn't explain how he lives in America.

Quote Originally Posted by gummi View Post
    Right. Not Asian, ethnicity or nationality. American, but trained at the Shaolin Temple since childhood. Doesn't explain how he lives in America.
    the loud sound you are now hearing is called the bullshit detector...
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

"Y'all better roll up yer pants,
    y'already soiled yer shoes"-meaning, and this is not a slight towards you, Gumni, because you are simply inquiring, but from the little bit you've given us, it sounds like completely made-up stuff trying to pass for Kung-Fu.
    There are telltale signs;
    1)super secret hidden to western eyes systems, taught by westerners
    2) mixing dialects and languages, Manderin,Cantonese, Japanese, English
    3)claims of being taught by Monks, raised in temples, taught by Jesus...
    4) Hokey, trying way too hard to sound Chinese and authentic-type names of systems, such as Temple of Five Tigers Style, Ten Tig-oops...
    Last edited by TenTigers; 08-16-2009 at 03:32 PM.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.