PDA

View Full Version : Martial Arts & Religion

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

T'ai Ji Monkey
11-14-2003, 12:14 AM
Check the image below to find the answer.

:D

SanSoo Student
11-14-2003, 12:31 AM
AHAHAHA...:D
So true, especially when you spar for the first time.

Ikken Hisatsu
11-14-2003, 01:08 AM
the worst one is when you've been sparring for about ten minutes already, and along comes some behemoth and you just think

"balls"

T'ai Ji Monkey
11-14-2003, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by Ikken Hisatsu
the worst one is when you've been sparring for about ten minutes already, and along comes some behemoth and you just think

"balls"

NO, NO, NO.

The worst is when you have to spar multiple opponents and you look at the queue waiting next to the mat-area and realise that the last one is YOUR Sifu and he is grinning with delight.
;)

EarthDragon
04-13-2004, 06:52 PM
What do you think about mixing these together?

Do you think it's OK to make students practice or least observe Buddhism in order to study at a particular school?

Want to hear your comments.........

mantis108
04-13-2004, 08:14 PM
Hi ED,

Having a spiritual outlook is definitely a plus in martial arts. Martial sports really don't need to have a spiritual outlook although a martial sports person such as Ali has a powerful spiritual outlook that some would even think of him as a latter day prophet. ;) Once upon a time in America, Ali has a beautiful mind. It is sad that he could not carry on his God's work today.

Personally, I believe that spiritual outlook is the difference between a technician and a master of an art. BTW, there are 2 approaches to apply spirtiual outlook in MA. One route is through philosophical discipline (reasoning) while the other is mystical discipline (meditation).

I tell stories about all religions although I use them main as parables. In a form such as 18 Luohan, I have at least 18 stories that I can tell just to help my students to graspe the imagaries. My favorite is the 5th road "Yasha (demon) probing the ocean". It could lead to many of the Chinese mythology which always draws their attention.

I am of the opinion that if they understand my spiritual outlook they will have the benefit of understanding how I function. In that case, we will communicate much better. I have not intention of making spiritual duplicates of myself. So I don't require my students to take upon any spiritual outlook.

A great topic there, my friend. :)

Warm regards

Mantis108

Chang Style Novice
04-13-2004, 09:07 PM
Religion is all about killing people who disagree with you.

MA is all about how to kill people.

It's a match made in Heaven! (pun intended)

Starchaser107
04-13-2004, 09:11 PM
lol
good one

joedoe
04-13-2004, 09:19 PM
In all seriousness, that is a personal thing. If someone wants to mix the two then they should be allowed to. If they only wish to practice the martial aspects without religious aspects, then they should be allowed to do so. No one should be forced to practice any of the religious aspects of the CMA.

blooming lotus
04-13-2004, 11:54 PM
i agree...I don't think anyone should be forced to anything...but if you don't understand the spiritual roots of your art/s, just don't think you're really studying it

joedoe
04-13-2004, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by blooming lotus
i agree...I don't think anyone should be forced to anything...but if you don't understand the spiritual roots of your art/s, just don't think you're really studying it

True, however understanding the spiritual roots and practicing them are two different things.

Christopher M
04-14-2004, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by EarthDragon
Do you think it's OK to make students practice or least observe Buddhism in order to study at a particular school?

Since your school is a voluntary, private group, it seems within your rights to restrict membership by any arbitrary standard you please.

That said, I would personally be extremely uncomfortable with a martial arts instructor who forced religous beliefs on their students, even if I happened to agree with them; and recommend ardently against it.

blooming lotus
04-14-2004, 02:00 AM
I think as long as you understand those roots..it's all good and irrelevant if you subscribe or not......

BeiTangLang
04-14-2004, 03:30 AM

Hell no its not right! what kind of stupid cr@p is that?

No one made me observe a religion to take math or science, why should it be required from a ma school? Utter B/S.

Oh, as far as understanding roots goes, those roots only go so deep. I fully agree with understanding the origin, but making folks practice is more than a bit too much.

SPJ
04-14-2004, 04:46 AM
Very good posts.

The argument is the other way around.

You study MA to defend yourself and not be harmed. You save life and serve justice.

If you practice Daoism (Wu Dang) and Shaolin Zen Buhhdism, you need to study MA so as to complete or help your spiritual learning.

Use Zen meditation to enter the world of Wushu. So that Zen and Quan are one and the same. (Zen Quan Her Yi)

As a matter of fact, you may practice or not practice religions.

But, all that Wushu learning will not help us, if we do not know how to be/make a "man" in the first place. That is why all schools of Wushu are tightly bundled with certain "disciplines" (life philosophy or religion).

Again, it is your choice for the enlightment for your own being (consciousness or Zen).

TaiChiBob
04-14-2004, 04:55 AM
Greetings..

Historical knowledge of religious connections to the Arts is relevant.. but, dogmatic instruction of a particular belief system during MA class is not likely to be well received.. to insist that an MA student receive religious instruction is contrary to rational thought.. If you choose to offer religious instruction as a separate class with no expectation that a student must accept "your" beliefs, that's fine.. In fact, the walls could be adorned with the Sifu's choice of religious references as long as there is no expectation that free-thinking students adhere to that belief system.. If the Sifu insists that students adhere to a particular belief system, then call it a church, not a Kwoon..

Although i don't personally claim any single "religion", i do find Taoist Philosophy to be the most closely aligned with my understanding of "Life".. i offer tidbits of Taoist wisdoms during class, but only as it relates to a particular lesson or as it connects in a historical context.. Separate from MA class, i host a Taiji Club where i tailor the study of Taiji from the Taoist perspective, i also welcome contributions of other "philosophies".. i tend to reject formal religions as unnecessary rituals that distract us from the experience they claim to be seeking, including "Religious Taoism".. Religious Taoism is contrary to its own philosophy, but.. that's another story..

I have found that some of the principles of Internal Arts conflict with some people's religious or philosophical or scientific beliefs.. and i respect their beliefs by counseling them to simply accept the lessons in whatever context they are comfortable with.. i have always been able to neutralize any religious conflicts.. In the Muay Thai Class where the uniform requires shorts, some religions forbid the exposure of the legs, so we let the student put shorts on over long pants.. situation neutralized..

The choice is simple, do you want to be a preacher or a Martial Arts instructor.. if you choose to expect students to adhere to your particular belief system, it should be stated up front and the corresponding loss of revenue accepted as a consequence of that choice..

Just my own perspective of things.. Be well..

EarthDragon
04-14-2004, 07:30 AM
All excellent replies,
The reason I asked is that one of my former students opened a school and although she is jewish she is using a buddhist temple for backing. She has a life size statue in the front window and from the outside it looks more like a place of worship than a place to train. This puzzels me and I am trying to understand her intentions and motive. So I thought I would bring this up to the many knowledgable friends I have on this forum.

I am still under the impression she is using religion to market her school to make up for the incompleteness of her training. She had only trained with me a short time and never ranked and higher than middle road beginner, then went on to learn a little here and a little there. She weighs 112 lbs and teaches wrestling to male adults but does not get on the mat?????????????

hhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmm

red5angel
04-14-2004, 07:39 AM

No, it's not necessary. I understand the buddhist ties most CMA have but it's not necessary to learn to fight. On the other hand, students usually have a choice of schools to go to, and if not, it suck sbut you don't have to go to a school taht's going to make you study a religion of any sort.

unkokusai
04-14-2004, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by SPJ

If you practice Daoism (Wu Dang) and Shaolin Zen Buhhdism, you need to study MA so as to complete or help your spiritual learning.

:confused:

David Jamieson
04-14-2004, 08:13 AM
no

Chang Style Novice
04-14-2004, 08:16 AM
All excellent replies,
The reason I asked is that one of my former students opened a school and although she is jewish she is using a buddhist temple for backing. She has a life size statue in the front window and from the outside it looks more like a place of worship than a place to train. This puzzels me and I am trying to understand her intentions and motive. So I thought I would bring this up to the many knowledgable friends I have on this forum.

I am still under the impression she is using religion to market her school to make up for the incompleteness of her training. She had only trained with me a short time and never ranked and higher than middle road beginner, then went on to learn a little here and a little there. She weighs 112 lbs and teaches wrestling to male adults but does not get on the mat?????????????

hhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmm Sounds great!

(hangs head, cries)

David Jamieson
04-14-2004, 08:27 AM
ED-

It is called "co-opting" and this is practiced by ignorant dirtbags on a daily basis.

If I was a buddhist, which I'm not because I refuse to subscribe to any particular group other than "human being" I would be deeply offended by your friends attempts to use imagery sacred to one groupd to make money and sell a service.

that's just my opinion, along with the opinion that your friend is a di.ck

cheers

TaiChiBob
04-14-2004, 08:52 AM
Greetings..

I would be deeply offended by your friends attempts to use imagery sacred to one group

is it possible that the "imagery" of...
ignorant dirtbags ..might be offensive to others.. ? Perhaps, someone can be ignorant without being a "dirtbag"..

How is it that we can complain of offensive imagery on one hand.. and use offensive language on the other?
your friend is a di.ck ...

Just an observation of the normal inconsistency in certain thought processes.. not intended to start flaming..

Be well....

SPJ
04-14-2004, 08:58 AM
Responding the :confused:

You are right, religious Daoism and Buddhism do not require MA learning.

I was refering to the old days. The Daoists on Wu Dang Shan and the monks in Shaolin temple, they studied MA. Again not every body was required. In fact, if your mindset or heart is not ready, you are forbidden to study MA. Even if you did learn and later you did something wrong, The Discipline Yuan (Jie Liu Yuan) will punish you with hard labor and staff hitting, to the point of to "destroy" your Wushu and kicking you out of the temple.

Taichibob: good post.

The separation of state and the church.

However, the teacher has some responsiblity of the moral understanding of the students. although not enforcing a religion, it would be nice to have a certain code of ethics (Wu De).

I like the idea of declaring the religion of the teacher on the walls.

David Jamieson
04-14-2004, 09:45 AM
lol @ bob

I'm me and I'm not the one putting buddha in teh window to sell buddha cookies and BS.

For me, I can only walk the world and kick away at what bugs me with no remorse for my actions. Remorse is hindsight afterall, if you didn't mean to do it, then you wouldn't have done it in teh first place.

Circular logic is bullsh.it, I avoid it in matters that have meaning.

cheers

red5angel
04-14-2004, 09:50 AM
Circular logic is bullsh.it, I avoid it in matters that have meaning.

you mean you avoid logic, all together KL, be honest.

David Jamieson
04-14-2004, 09:58 AM
red5, you avoid reality.

yer @ss is starting to look like a belgian waffle dude. better get one of those feral hillbilly kids to pry you out of that hammock soon. lord knows you might squish yer two-four of twinkies if ya gotta do it yerself. hyuk yuk.

I love how you enter any thread i'm in to fling some more of your particular brand of nonsense.

I feel like I have a fan... who enjoys being beaten.

I'm honoured stoopid san.

red5angel
04-14-2004, 10:02 AM
actually, if you'll notice (it goes back to that whole paying attention thing again) I posted in this thread before you, so wouldn't that be you following me around?
And just because you don't pay attention and apparently need a reminder, I have vowed to fight your special kind of stupidity, remember? My holy war against the dumb that is Kung Lek.

EarthDragon
04-14-2004, 10:08 AM
Kung Lek,
I never said "my friend" actually it is an old student who quit 8 step after just 9 months, studied some where else for 9 more , then opened thier own school.
Also he is a she and when I heard that she was teaching 8 step without my permission I told her to not advertise 8 step because she wasnt qualified to teach, so she changed and advertised 7* without having learned 7* mind you , so NO she is not a friend but rather a throrn in my side, and becuse of her lack of knowledge, I feel she is compensating with buddhism to come across as tradtional. I even read a post from her student that quoted her as "very tradtional" which to me seems extremly far from the truth

unkokusai
04-14-2004, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by Kung Lek
I refuse to subscribe to any particular group other than "human being"

Don't flatter yourself.

SevenStar
04-14-2004, 10:18 AM
I haven't read the whole thread yet, but to drop my two copper coins, religion shouldn't be forced on a student. That's why we have churches, temples, etc. I being christian do not want bhuddism forced on me. I'm all for learning about other things, but I can read up on it in my spare time.

TaiChiBob
04-14-2004, 10:49 AM
Greetings..

SPJ:
I think (IMHO) that the study of fighting systems should not be referred to as an Art untill several concepts/disciplines are introduced, not the least of which is "Ethics"..

Kung Lek:

Circular logic is bullsh.it, I avoid it in matters that have meaning. .. Please explain, it seems that "circular logic" is applicable to your position on this matter of .. it's okay to offend others if they have offended someone else.. or, "if you didn't mean to do it, then you wouldn't have done it in teh first place".. you kind of overlook innocent ignorance.. IMHO kindly educating someone to the nuances of cultural etiquette would have a more lasting and more beneficial effect than harsh words and character bashing.. anyway, i am only hoping to see this issue from a different perspective, i don't normally "kick the things that bug me", i try to see if i can find a common ground or help change a situation that could avoid even more misunderstandings..

Be well...

unkokusai
04-14-2004, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by SPJ
Responding the :confused:

You are right, religious Daoism and Buddhism do not require MA learning.

I was refering to the old days.

'Most' monks/priests/whatever were not fightin' machines in the 'old days' either.

David Jamieson
04-14-2004, 11:33 AM
unko-

which one of the idiots are you representing with the new handle now?

can you be more transparent possibly?

lamo.

ED, i realize you were refering to a she, you stated it early on in the thread.

I think it is cheap and dirtbaggish to do such a thing and that's where I stand. Let it go and don't endorse her at all. if people come asking in regards to lineage, then respond exactly as you have responded here.

Bob-

the zen way is to "just be" there is no evil, there is no good, things just are and we can point em out however we like. How you think about me makes no difference anymore than anyone else.

I will continue to think and do as I am compelled by the forces of the universe that spark to move this flesh and bone around.

cheers

unkokusai
04-14-2004, 11:36 AM
unko-

which one of the idiots are you representing with the new handle now?

can you be more transparent possibly?

lamo.

This is the brilliant discourse of which you are so proud? Impressive.

SPJ
04-14-2004, 11:37 AM
'Most' monks/priests/whatever were not fightin' machines in the 'old days' either.

Agreed.:)

Earth Dragon:

That is tough. A "runaway" student. Being a teacher, you somehow have to guide her in the right path. Because whatever your student said or did does reflect on you.

If people ask for her reference, you may say yes she was once your student, however, she still has a long way to go for her study.

To teach a student to study MA is tough. To teach a student to be a righteous person is even tougher. In the end, she is still your student. In other words, your teaching is not finished yet. however, it is up to her if she wants to continue her learning or not. Otherwise, you may only give her partial credit for her incomplete study.

Taichibob:

I agreed totally.

TaiChiBob
04-14-2004, 12:08 PM
Greetings...

the zen way is to "just be" there is no evil, there is no good, things just are and we can point em out however we like.

I tend to agree, largely, with the above quote, except.. "however we like".. although there is no good/evil, there are consequences.. good/evil are merely labels of desirability, consequences, however, may cause others to stumble or be misled on their journey.. to use antagonistic or harsh language could cause more harmful consequences than the self-gratifying benefit gained by the individual choosing to engage in such dialogue..

My personal philosophy, and that which i include in my teaching philosophy is, "do no harm", except in the defense of self and others..

I will continue to think and do as I am compelled by the forces of the universe that spark to move this flesh and bone around.

Although the "forces of the Universe" may provide the energy and raw material for the "flesh and bone", choice and deed are the signatures of your individual consciousness.. what you "continue to think and do" is how you choose to define yourself in the eyes of others.. I thank the universe for the oportunity to use this Body and Mind, but.. i take full responsibility for the actions and deeds as directed by my consciousness (spirit, for those inclined to see past the confines of logical structure)..

Be well.. (good dialogue, thanks)..

Christopher M
04-14-2004, 01:00 PM
I've seen a few different contextualizations of Wu Wei, but "kick away what bugs you" is a new one. Now that I think about it though, I may remember something like that in the Surangama Sutra: 'Meditation on the Faculty of Arbitrary Hostility.' Yeah; sounds reasonable.

EarthDragon
04-14-2004, 01:08 PM
SPJ,
very insightful, I sometimes need to remember that being a teacher is a life long responsibility. I tend to not put effort into my runaway students as you called them. I do put 100% attention on my active students. I have taught 100's over the years so I think I almost have to cut them loose. I do respect your post though in a special way. thank You ED

MasterKiller
04-14-2004, 01:19 PM
On the flip side,
We receive numerous letters and emails every year from people wanting us to teach them to "enter the Buddha." We had a guy in military prison at Ft. Sill asking to become a disciple and learn the path to enlightenment. We do not, in any way shape or form, advertise or teach anything Buddhist in association with the school.

In America, people are begging for something to believe in. Some people are willing to give it to them, for a buck or two.

backbreaker
04-14-2004, 03:51 PM
I don't know much about religion , but seems this religous guy beleives in " qi gong" and has talked to my qi gong teacher.

http://www3.telus.net/Nelson_United/sermons/Davidmar30.html

blooming lotus
04-14-2004, 04:02 PM
Mk said a while back that kungfu is moving meditation...I love that and so did alot of others at time...for me my meditation is based in principals of now buddhist philosohies so there is no one without the other....but i guess it just comes back to the same ol tcm vs ma general argument.....

David Jamieson
04-14-2004, 04:05 PM
bob-

please explain consequences? merits? demerits? and what has that got to do with zen? mahayana and zen while having some mutual ground are not one and the same.

"however we like" is totally ok. consequences do not really exist in an internet forum filled with 5 guys using 45 pseudonyms to argue amongst themselves.

in fact, in zen, duality doesn't exist. but hey, i'm just saying.

unko-

Talk to me with the other person inside your head.

Man, where are you getting all the email addresses from? Do you actually get any work at all done or are you just toatlly sc.rewing your boss over for bandwidth and internet time where you are just a lump in a cubicle? doing nothing? man, koko must be a nice place to wank all day on someone elses dime. I would never hire you. lol

blooming lotus
04-14-2004, 04:19 PM
I know this wasn't addressed to me but what d'you mean.different .......that zen as a meditative focus as oppose to mahayana directly applicable to ma ???

unkokusai
04-14-2004, 04:27 PM

unko-

Talk to me with the other person inside your head.

??????????????????????????????????

blooming lotus
04-14-2004, 04:32 PM
lol...you're really calling yourself unko????

that's the funniest thing I've heard today :eek: :D :cool: ;)

unkokusai
04-14-2004, 06:26 PM
lol...you're really calling yourself unko????

that's the funniest thing I've heard today :eek: :D :cool: ;)

FatherDog
04-14-2004, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by MasterKiller
On the flip side,
We receive numerous letters and emails every year from people wanting us to teach them to "enter the Buddha."

Send 'em my way. I'll teach 'em to "enter the Buddha", ifyouknowwhatImeanandIthinkyoudo.

TaiChiBob
04-15-2004, 05:12 AM
Greetings..

in fact, in zen, duality doesn't exist. but hey, i'm just saying. .. lovely concept, no duality.. but, all that exists and permits us to have experiences is based on duality.. nothing exists except by comparison to something else.. and that is duality.. "in Zen", separates "Zen" by comparison to other things, itself a duality.. we study, train and meditate our way through the rich world of duality experiences , why? if the goal is non-duality, if such a condition exists then no other condition is permitted by definition.. i think what we really refer to when we reference "non-duality" is the unity that is inherent in diversity.. we are like snowflakes, unique patterns of exactly the same stuff.. unity and diversity.. the divine dichotomy..

Consequences? hmmm.. when your actions affect others, are those actions harmful or beneficial? The consequence of taking the power shot while you have a training partner's hands trapped resulting in a broken nose or some other such result.. a consequence of your choices and deeds is downtime for your partner but food for your ego.. is there a fair balance here?

"however we like" is totally ok. consequences do not really exist in an internet forum filled with 5 guys using 45 pseudonyms to argue amongst themselves. ..Really? some people have more than one handle in here.. why? it would seem like way too much trouble to keep up with more than 1.

If you don't see the inherent value in sincere interaction with others and consider interactive experiences to be solely for your benefit, then.. "however we like" will provide you with just that type of self-fulfilling life experience.. on the other hand, if you find value in the interactive experiences with others, a natural result of that value is cooperative experiences.. a willingness to give and take, not always "however we like" but beneficial at another level..

consequences do not really exist in an internet forum filled with 5 guys using 45 pseudonyms to argue amongst themselves. .. sure they do, look at the time invested in the dialogue.. have you gained any insights from any dialogues, there's a positive consequence.. have you found your emotions rising and feel challenged, there's another consequence..

It's too easy to write off the complicated dynamics of interpersonal relationships in favor of conceptual theories and "zen-like" rituals.. speaking of which, how non-dual is the whole Zen ritual experience?

Anyway, thanks for the dialogue.. Be well..

stimulant
04-15-2004, 07:06 AM
I'm too lazy ot read all the replies...

but a balance is needed between physical and mental / spirital in order to become exceptional good. There are cliches about a warrior being a poet etc etc. Many past great masters had a combination whether there were buddhist, muslims, christians, taoist etc.

dwid
04-15-2004, 07:14 AM
I'm too lazy ot read all the replies...

Well, let me sum them up for you. Kung Lek is using some totally ridiculous non-existent variation on buddhism to justify remaining an adolescent for his entire life and having little to no regard for the feelings of others.

Bob is explaining why what Kung Lek believes doesn't really qualify as zen.

But, like so many discussions between adults and children, there is a communication barrier that Bob is having difficulty penetrating.

EarthDragon
04-15-2004, 07:18 AM
For give me if I 'm wrong but wasnt Kung Lek a moderator at one time? It seems to me he used to be very helpful and polite, what happened?

dwid
04-15-2004, 07:25 AM
For give me if I 'm wrong but wasnt Kung Lek a moderator at one time? It seems to me he used to be very helpful and polite, what happened?

He went off his meds.

;)

shaolinboxer
04-15-2004, 07:29 AM
Since so many martial arts evolved from ideas and ideals as well as combat experiences, it makes sense to study what those ideas/ideals were and are in odrder to understand what it is we are practicing.

Ultimately without some sort of philosophy or cultural practices, I think the martial arts get kinda boring.

SPJ
04-15-2004, 07:42 PM
Good posts.

Actually all schools of Wushu do have their own life philosophy and unique technical solutions to common combat problems.

Wu Wei: I got lost at lot in this in my early days with teachers of Daoism and Buddhism. Bear with me. I am no expert.

I. Do nothing.
Why? Nature will take care of itself. No matter what you do will not effect the outcome. Because everything in nature follows the law/path/Dao of nature.

Government should impose fewer laws and engage in fewer wars and lower the taxes, so that people may have time to study and contribute to economy.

II. Cause and effect.
The cause is the effect. The effect is the cause. huh?

Everything is moving in a circle of time and space. It does not matter where you start in the circle of the life. The ****her you go, the closer you are to your starting point. So your future is your past (start point). your past (start point) is your future. It is Karma. It is why the cause is the effect and the effect is the cause. So it happens everyday in this life, too. Not just the past life and present life. If it does not happen yet, it surely will. It is only a matter of time.

III. Do everything (Wu Sou Bu Wei).
If you do everything, you starts a lot of things in circles. They will all come back to you. So do nothing that would effect the nature.

IV. Follow the law/Dao of the nature.
To do that, you have to study the law of nature. So that you do nothing to effect the nature. Because ill effects will befall on you if you do.

V. Do everything that is consistent with the law of nature.
Do nothing that is inconsistent with law of the nature.

Wu Wei does not mean do whatever you want or do absolutely nothing.

It means do nothing to effect the nature or harm the nature. And do everything only if it is consistent with the law of nature.

I feel very tired now. sort of brain freeze.

David Jamieson
04-15-2004, 09:50 PM
well ED

I found god... hidden in the third cushion of my couch.

lol

in all seriousness, I am still fully capable of being polite and helpful, but I am also more than will to reject the taunts and disrespect of those who willfully come and disparage particular practices that I hold in high regard.

Which has been the case here for quite a while.
There are far too many posters here bashing something tha they clearly know very little or nothing about and it well, frankly, It irks me and so I reject them, verbally and blatantly.

I refuse to take there nonsense and ill understanding of chinese martial arts and just let them stomp it the same way a gardner would refuse to let teenagers stomp his prized lilly garden.

for too long the high school wrestler has been making claims of being the be all and end all of martial arts, and this is simply farcical and an outrageous insult to my sensibilities.

So, I chose to attack. And in order to do so (Bob, you're gonna love this part) I chose to accept the consequences of my actions, to withdraw from being moderate and to set to the task of attacking the vermin for what they were and picking away at their sophism using whatever weapons are available.

Not being oneto sit idley by and take sh.it for too long, this was my choice.

Now having said that, I will do my best to not make it comfortable for them regardless of their attacks on me or my character. they really should return to the forums they came from with their willful intent to "teach us kf-ers" a lesson about martial arts (as if they knew something about martial arts).

In reality all they do is flail and clutch at each other grasping for some small and useless understanding and gaining nothing but repetitive violence again and again until if they have any courage at all, they grow old, with bad scars, broken noses and all sorts of other marks that shows they are merely violent, and have no kungfu.

Taichi bob, you would be surprised at what lengths the pernicious will go to to gain some seed of self confidence, but it will never come to them in the guise they carry of cowardly anonymity.

All they seek to do is destroy and ridicule that which they are incapable of understanding.

Now there's some zen for ya :)

cheers

SPJ
04-16-2004, 03:23 AM
Sorry to interrupt.

Wu Wei.

Why is that you will not effect the outcome of nature?

Why is that if you harm nature you will be harmed?

It is a number game. You are one in a millions and millions. Together are called nature. We are all part of universe/nature.

Everything in nature interacts in a dynamic of a huge Tai Ji ball/balance.

If you do something to the mother nature. The millions of others will play Tai Ji Quan against you. You are bounced off. The reason is still in the number. Millions of others are like millions of Jin's. You are only one of the many and many. Your single Jin will be merged, yielded and redirected by the millions.

Wu Wei for the new millenium.

Do nothing to interfer the internal affairs of hundreds of other countries.

Do nothing to engineer the birth of a star (super nova or black hole).

Do nothing to clone human or other life forms.

Do nothing to genetically alter ---.

Sometimes it is easy to forget that we are only one/part of millions others called nature.

The more we know, or study. We know that so few we know.

TaiChiBob
04-16-2004, 04:23 AM
Greetings..

Regardless of our banterings.. i have respect for your point of view, i may disagree on tactics but hold the principle.. it is through this sort of dialogue that i refine my own understandings..

Thanks again, and.. Be well...

unkokusai
04-16-2004, 06:51 AM

for too long the high school wrestler has been making claims of being the be all and end all of martial arts, and this is simply farcical and an outrageous insult to my sensibilities.

Your 'sensibilities'?! :eek: hahahahahahahaaaahahahahahahahahhahahahahahhahaaaa aahaahahahhahahaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahhaaha!

That's funny!

You seem to focus on high school alot. Is that because that is the extent of your education, or because that is where you go to find your boyfriends?

FatherDog
04-16-2004, 09:07 AM
in all seriousness, I am still fully capable of being polite and helpful,

I'm sure you're capable of being polite, but I've never seen you post anything helpful.

Which has been the case here for quite a while.
There are far too many posters here bashing something tha they clearly know very little or nothing about

Like you, for example, in your constant bashing of boxing, wrestling, and jiu jitsu, all of which you clearly know very little or nothing about.

Uh, yeah. Find an instance of MP, ST00, myself, ap, or anyone else you're hostile to ever stating that high school wrestling is the be all and end all to martial arts.

....waiting....

....still waiting....

So, I chose to attack. And in order to do so (Bob, you're gonna love this part) I chose to accept the consequences of my actions, to withdraw from being moderate and to set to the task of attacking the vermin for what they were and picking away at their sophism using whatever weapons are available.

If by "whatever weapons are available" you mean "grade school name-calling", since that's the only thing I've seen you do since giving up moderatorship.

Now having said that, I will do my best to not make it comfortable for them regardless of their attacks on me or my character. they really should return to the forums they came from with their willful intent to "teach us kf-ers" a lesson about martial arts (as if they knew something about martial arts).

Yeah, guys who train 4-5 days a week for years of their lives know nothing about martial arts. :rolleyes:

Taichi bob, you would be surprised at what lengths the pernicious will go to to gain some seed of self confidence, but it will never come to them in the guise they carry of cowardly anonymity.

Of whom, exactly, are you speaking? Merry, St00, lkfmdc, apoweyn, and I have all posted our real names and locations on this board multiple times. Where does the 'cowardly anonymity' come in?

Dim Wit Mak
04-16-2004, 11:27 PM
I'm a religious guy (born again Christian), but my experiences with religion and the martial arts have been pretty pathetic. No specifics, but the books I have read trying to mix the two have been sub par attempts written at about a sixth grade level. One religious kung fu instructor I have studied under seems to suffer from severe emotional baggage, and I would actually call him a lier, but he seems not to keep his word because he becomes dysfunctional because of his problems. Perhaps others have had better experiences, but I have to go by my experience.

blooming lotus
04-17-2004, 04:39 AM

All they seek to do is destroy and ridicule that which they are incapable of understanding.

Now there's some zen for ya :)

cheers

couldn't agree more!

It's kinda amusing to see, I read 7*'s thread about who was doing what workout and when, and I see nothing competitive....what is there like 1 or 2 dudes thinking they're ma superstars because they do 6 and 7 hrs training some days....gimme a break....real kungu was and in the temple today being practiced up to 12 hrs...every day...for 20 yrs and more...and those dudes still concede they know jack sh*t.....little reality check here folks........... I understand that most folks aren't half as committed to their art let alone have an understanding of it or other related philoshies and methods...

It's a shame to see so much truly valuable information being wrtten off by little close-minded know all-but know-nothings because they're affraid of what they can't comprehend....

cei la vie

David Jamieson
04-17-2004, 05:14 AM
Like you, for example, in your constant bashing of boxing, wrestling, and jiu jitsu, all of which you clearly know very little or nothing about.

says the out of shape pimple faced smart@ss who doesn't do anything but maybe drink too much, smoke to much, take to many drugs and the only thing they've thrown out is a bowling ball. lol

dude, my juvenile boxing record is 32-2-4

I wrestled for Both high schools I attended.

I totally like jujitsu and look forward to learning more about it.

You see, you and your ilk just talk out your @sses. All you are doing is trolling I know. Because you are a troll. Well, that is just fine with me, I am comfy in the martial arts I do. Are you comfortable in knowing that you aren't doing enough of anything to qualify as much more than a troll?

fatherdog, perhaps you do father dogs
:rolleyes:

lol, that is basically what we refer to someone who is in all actuality a "do- nothing" in the parts I come from.

Anyway, come on up for the meet in may if ya gotr the guts, we'll give ya a taste of boxing wrestling and even a little kungfu. I extend the invitation to anyone here.

Good clean fun, three days of exchanges and martial arts. Toronto at the beaches, may 22, 23,24 kew gardens, rain or shine. I hope to see some of you there.

blooming lotus
04-17-2004, 05:28 AM
lol...dude.....you know it's trolling so why invite it ino your personal life :rolleyes:

ps: they're only back your as* 'cause I've been to busy to been round much...it matters right?? ;)

unkokusai
04-17-2004, 09:51 AM

So that explains it! You got beat down and rode the bench for 4 years. Don't be bitter, fish. Move on.

FatherDog
04-17-2004, 01:32 PM

says the out of shape pimple faced smart@ss who doesn't do anything but maybe drink too much, smoke to much, take to many drugs and the only thing they've thrown out is a bowling ball. lol

1) I neither smoke nor do drugs. Drink too much I'll cop to.

2) Check the Training Blog threads for how "out of shape" I am.

dude, my juvenile boxing record is 32-2-4

Prove it. Give me your name and the dates you competed. Since you're complaining about our "cowardly anonymity", you should have no problem providing your personal details, right?

Are you comfortable in knowing that you aren't doing enough of anything to qualify as much more than a troll?

I'm comfortable in my twenty hours per week spent in the gym, yes.

fatherdog, perhaps you do father dogs

There's that maturity again.

Good clean fun, three days of exchanges and martial arts. Toronto at the beaches, may 22, 23,24 kew gardens, rain or shine. I hope to see some of you there.

Sorry, I'll be helping coach the newer guys at Grappler's Quest on the 22nd - feel free to stop by our school anytime, though. You might learn something.

David Jamieson
04-17-2004, 02:08 PM

Whatever, why don't you look up it up yourself. I'm not certain if the Manitoba sports federation has the records online, but ya never know, they might. You wanna look at my boxing record, you can look it up through them I would think and I'm pretty sure they would require a processing fee. So you pay it. Anyway, you can check with either the sports federation who might have it, or manitoba ameteur boxing assoc, or Orioles Boxing club and Clifton boxing clube where i was in teh late 70's and early 80's. GOod luck though, it is hard to dig that stuff up. But you never know, some stats keeper from back in the day might have it around somewhere. It's not like pro fighters afterall.

Kind of lame thing to say "prove it" in that respect don't ya think fd? Prove you've done anything whatsoever. YOu'll probably have a hard time proving where you were last week. I'm just saying that if you think I don't know about western boxing, think again, I know enough and have likely done more of it than you.

again, just saying.

And dude, you've posted pictures of yourself here before and I would say you are not exactly what I would call in shape despite how much you can write down about your workout. lol

I could copy and paste a page on jack lalane myself I guess. BUt lets just get it straight that you are the one coming on with the smart mouth and dissing me and what I do and what I know. What did you expect? An ok? a pat on the back? you can bite my @ss in that regards.

And I asked first in re: to coming out for some play time. You can't flip flop. The invite is there for anyone. Anyone who does show, I will be more than happy to reciprocate.

In fact I have openly exchanged info and martial knowledge with members of other forums and found it to be a great experience. You should try it yourself sometime instead of being a keyboard warrior only.

Ya could likely learn a thing or two yerself.

Take it easy on the booze, it has a lot to do with those love handles you're sporting which ain't exactly attractive or healthy on a guy as young as you. Just a little advice.

cheers

FatherDog
04-17-2004, 04:24 PM

Whatever, why don't you look up it up yourself.

Post your name, and I will.

Kind of lame thing to say "prove it" in that respect don't ya think fd? Prove you've done anything whatsoever.

My tournament record is verifiable, as is my school, and the fight records of the folks I train with.

And dude, you've posted pictures of yourself here before and I would say you are not exactly what I would call in shape despite how much you can write down about your workout. lol

Mmm. I can run three miles without being winded, and I can go 10 rounds in the ring kickboxing, but I'm not what you would call in shape, based on a few pictures I posted last year. Mmmhmm.

Don't see any pics of you floating around, come to think.

I could copy and paste a page on jack lalane myself I guess. BUt lets just get it straight that you are the one coming on with the smart mouth and dissing me and what I do and what I know.

I haven't said a thing about what you do, much less dissed it. I have no idea what style you practice, and whatever it is, I haven't dissed it on these boards; I've never dissed any style on these boards. I've dissed specific training methods, and I've argued with people regarding ground fighting. There are only two things I've ever dissed about you -

1) The fact that you make statements that are wildly inaccurate about boxing and grappling (incidentally, my wrestling coach has gone to Freestyle nationals twice, and my boxing coach (Fernando Munoz, and his amatuer record is also findable and verifiable) has over 100 fights, with more wins than you claim to have bouts to your name, so when you say something that is the exact opposite of what they claim to be true, I'm gonna go ahead and say you're full of sht, kthx)

2) The fact that you've mostly abandoned logical argument in favor of petty namecalling, which is just sad.

And I asked first in re: to coming out for some play time. You can't flip flop. The invite is there for anyone. Anyone who does show, I will be more than happy to reciprocate.

Actually, I've stated on many, many occasions that I'd be happy to spar with anyone that chooses to come to my school, so if you're going to get into asinine "I asked first!" stuff, my offer predates yours by a fair bit.

Take it easy on the booze, it has a lot to do with those love handles you're sporting which ain't exactly attractive or healthy on a guy as young as you. Just a little advice.

cheers

Now I think you've mistaken me for someone else, since I A) don't have love handles, B) have never had love handles, and C) have never had a picture of me taken with my shirt off, so it's not like you'd know anyway.

David Jamieson
04-17-2004, 06:11 PM
lol:rolleyes:

whatever fd- you are , how you say...nevermind. Anyway, you keep posting the same jive under so many different names, it's, well it says more about you than it does about me.

anyway, if you don't know who i am, i ain't helping you out.
you haven't been paying attention clearly.

that's cool, I'm done with you, you're obviously ..gifted or something I guess. So, show up if you want to learn something, you know where i am for those 3 days. this is your chance to make a mockery of me for real instead of on an internet chat board.

If I do find myself going to the states, I'll be certain I check here first and catch where you are. Just saying.

cheers

FatherDog
04-17-2004, 10:38 PM
lol:rolleyes:

whatever fd- you are , how you say...nevermind. Anyway, you keep posting the same jive under so many different names, it's, well it says more about you than it does about me.

Really? What names would those be? If you think I'm using different accounts, please post which ones. I'd be happy to ask any of the current mods to take a look at the IP access and posting histories and confirm or deny your statement.

anyway, if you don't know who i am, i ain't helping you out.
you haven't been paying attention clearly.

Ah, so we're anonymous cowards, but you won't post your real name. Good call, ace.

that's cool, I'm done with you, you're obviously ..gifted or something I guess. So, show up if you want to learn something, you know where i am for those 3 days. this is your chance to make a mockery of me for real instead of on an internet chat board.

Sorry, Grappler's Quest is more of a priority for me than shutting up some keyboard warrior.

If I do find myself going to the states, I'll be certain I check here first and catch where you are. Just saying.

cheers

Bayside Academy of Mixed Martial Arts. Stop by anytime.

blooming lotus
04-18-2004, 12:30 AM
look..I dont know what hating game you folks are playing and to be honest I don't give half a sh*t...kl has posted pictures, links and other to the adeotness of his game, and I've only been here a year...but i aint seen d*ck from any - a you- except Iron and poor ol inic...lol....

the dude has my respect and you.....have nothing...do some yoga and chill for some...'cause far as I'm concerned youre just hatng onthe dude 'cause for his ex-moderator status...

same old...western gungfu dude ( which I totally consider kl to be...plays off wanna be gongfu dude....

same as asian dudes of lil while back plays "no...I cn kick your as* western dude"

wtfeva

half of you are morons and the other half needto meditate

cheers :D

FatherDog
04-18-2004, 01:24 AM
look..I dont know what hating game you folks are playing and to be honest I don't give half a sh*t...kl has posted pictures, links and other to the adeotness of his game, and I've only been here a year...but i aint seen d*ck from any - a you- except Iron and poor ol inic...lol....

Then you haven't been paying much attention, since Merry, ap, Oso, fa_jing and I have all posted numerous clips and pictures of us in action.

the dude has my respect and you.....have nothing...do some yoga and chill for some...'cause far as I'm concerned youre just hatng onthe dude 'cause for his ex-moderator status...

And, after all, since you're a highly-paid model with a genius IQ (nevermind that you can't spell) who could easily qualify for the Olympics but won't because you "don't want to compete", I'm desperate to gain your respect. :rolleyes:

blooming lotus
04-18-2004, 03:42 AM
well that's all that matters ;) :p

ps...i can spell...it's just my typing's not not so great:D

dodger87
04-18-2004, 09:50 AM
I think it should be optional, noone should be forced to learn religion in order to just learn martial arts.

blooming lotus
04-18-2004, 09:08 PM
I agree...I think you're missing my point though...there are many differnt levels of ma study and it still comes back to thesmae old traditional vs modern

MonkeySlap Too
04-18-2004, 09:58 PM
There is a very strong link between religion and many MA. The type of link is curious. Islam, which preaches war and killing of the 'kuffar' sees combat as religious duty and the reward is getting jiggy in a *****house afterworld. (I'm being flip, but I'm tired of quoting Surahs and Hadith and history - look it up yourself.)

Certain branches of buddhism use martial arts training as a tool to break through the grasping of dualistic thought. But does not preach or encourage violent behavior.

Christanity has no religous connection to martial arts - in fact when fighting off Islamic invaders, the soilders of the Eastern Roman Empire were forbidden holy communion.

Personally, I think there is a spritual aspect to some CMA practice - but i prefer the spiritual starement - not religious.

My old SPM coach used to try and convert everyone to Christanity, but he also thought St.Thomas was the ****sexual disciple because he cried and needed Jesus to comfort him - 'code' in the old world. I told that one to an Orthodox bishop at a party - he spit his beer out he was laughing so hard.

blooming lotus
04-18-2004, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by MonkeySlap Too
T
Personally, I think there is a spritual aspect to some CMA practice - but i prefer the spiritual starement - not religious.

buddhism is one of the only "religions" that have no god...

it is spiritual cultivation , rather than soap-boxing ......

those who think other wise just don't havethe information

joedoe
04-18-2004, 10:29 PM
I always saw buddhism as a philosophy rather than a religion.

blooming lotus
04-18-2004, 10:40 PM
that'swhy I dig it I guess....

It's a cruisey "own pace" kinda non-dogmatic developement philosphy that just happens to hold ma as something good to do.....

gotta love that :cool:

joedoe
04-18-2004, 10:44 PM
Well, some people do manage to make it dogmatic but what can you do :)

SevenStar
04-18-2004, 10:48 PM

Christanity has no religous connection to martial arts - in fact when fighting off Islamic invaders, the soilders of the Eastern Roman Empire were forbidden holy communion.

"whatever man haveth not a sword, let him sell his shirt and buy one"

blooming lotus
04-18-2004, 10:51 PM
I think I read the somewher...

isn't the rest of the quote something like...

"...and may the procceeds fill our pockets graciously......"

Kaitain(UK)
04-19-2004, 08:40 AM
Dogmatism:
1 : positiveness in assertion of opinion especially when unwarranted or arrogant
2 : a viewpoint or system of ideas based on insufficiently examined premises

blooming lotus
04-19-2004, 05:09 PM
Ie: christianity

Dim Wit Mak
04-19-2004, 06:03 PM
Some might be surprised to know that Chuck Norris is a born again Christian. I don't see a haughty, arrogant horses' behind, but a good man who is very dedicated to martial arts and doing some very good things.

Mr Punch
04-19-2004, 07:08 PM
Islam, which preaches war and killing of the 'kuffar' sees combat as religious duty and the reward is getting jiggy in a *****house afterworld. ...
Christanity has no religous connection to martial arts - in fact when fighting off Islamic invaders, the soilders of the Eastern Roman Empire were forbidden holy communion. Fundamentalist fanatics. (http://)

Notice you are speaking for the whole of Christianity, as well as the whole of Islam.

You might also want to read more literature on the crusades. There are many people who say it was the fault of blood-hungry expansionist money-grabbing pseudo... wait, what is the end of that sentence...? Moslems or Christians?! :D The word we are looking for is 'fanatics'.

This is why I always go back to saying, as a peaceful Buddhist, kill all Moslems, Christians and Jews. I may be joking of course.

Christopher M
04-19-2004, 10:44 PM
Ie: christianity

MMMmmmm... it's got that fresh intolerance smell.

Christanity has no religous connection to martial arts... I told that one to an Orthodox bishop at a party - he spit his beer out he was laughing so hard.

As an aside for interest's sake, I've heard that Systema has some connection with Orthodoxy.

David Jamieson
04-19-2004, 10:51 PM
dogmatism doesn't necessarily apply only to religion.

I think though that every religion has it's dogma. It has to lol, because i don't think "god"(s) can be proved or disproved so to say or assert god exists is to be dogmatic.

however, to say a donught and coffee exist is not dogmatic.

MonkeySlap Too
04-19-2004, 11:29 PM
Mat, of course I'm generalizing - but I'm discussing doctrine, not history. Christian doctrine, if not practice is that killing is bad - this even extends into reinterpreting the old testament - thou shalt not murder becomes thou shalt not kill - there is the difference betwen Judaism and Christianity.

Islam preaches killing unbeleivers. 76% of the worlds current conflicts involve muslims. For 1400 years the aggressive preachings have spread war and terror. This is history. And it is reveled in if you ever visit the Middle East. My ancestors battled and died at the gates of Vienna keeping Europe from the suffocating grip of this evil. How Europe lost track of such fairly recent history is astounding.

The Crusades were intended as an attempt to regain the 'holy land' which was INVADED AND CONQOURED by Muslims.

Frankly, it was reading translations of the schoolbooks used in a cross-section of ME countries is what really set me off. If you want to see hate rivalling a Klan rally - visit a Mosque. I have. Personally, I think it needs to be spoken out about. Islam means submission, not peace after all.

I'm not personally too interested in Middle Eastern religions in general, but Islam is scary sh!t.

try:
www.jihadwatch.com or www.dhimmiwatch.org or www.memri.com

Of course, from a non-dual viewpoint, this all gets very funny.

blooming lotus
04-20-2004, 03:16 AM
Mat, of course I'm generalizing - but I'm discussing doctrine, not history. Christian doctrine, if not practice is that killing is bad -
Of course, from a non-dual viewpoint, this all gets very funny.

and yet, their preists " the holy/iest/er dudes" rape and sodomise their students...or brothers....kids....

and their's a dude in the sky who's going to save me any minute

sure

;) ;)

Christopher M
04-20-2004, 05:05 AM
He who hath no sin cast the first stone, or something.

cerebus
04-20-2004, 05:13 AM
Which, of course, is simply a "holier than thou" way of saying no one is allowed to hold any opposing opinions because they're not "perfect" (oh, my bad, you didn't say "perfect"...just "without sin". Guess that excludes the entire human race). :rolleyes:

Christopher M
04-20-2004, 05:29 AM
No, it's an indirect way of saying "absurd generalization has always been the bigot's fondest ally."

cerebus
04-20-2004, 05:37 AM
Heh, heh. Sure it is.:cool:

Christopher M
04-20-2004, 05:42 AM
Would you like me to explain the attribution?

cerebus
04-20-2004, 05:47 AM
I'm quite familiar with it. In fact, I could have explained it to you. But thanks for offering, your condescension is appreciated.

Christopher M
04-20-2004, 05:59 AM
You expressed doubt regarding my account of what I expressed; responding by offering to explain seems immediately germane rather than condescending.

cerebus
04-20-2004, 06:05 AM
What? ME doubt YOU? In matters of religion? Why, I wouldn't dare! How could you imagine me to be so bold as to dare such a thing?

Christopher M
04-20-2004, 06:21 AM
Matters of religion? I haven't remarked on the content or beliefs of any religion in this thread, other than my remark regarding Systema.

cerebus
04-20-2004, 06:32 AM
Gee, did I say "this thread"? I guess I must've and just forgot about it.

Christopher M
04-20-2004, 06:38 AM
Originally posted by Christopher M
You expressed doubt regarding my account of what I expressed

Originally posyed by cerebus
ME doubt YOU? In matters of religion?
This 'account of what I expressed' is in this thread, right?

cerebus
04-20-2004, 06:45 AM
Well of course silly. But your pseudo-intellectual religious superiority is lying in big smelly piles throughout the forum. I love how you run in circles... like this: "I haven't remarked on the content or beliefs of any religion in this thread" / "This account of what I expressed is in this thread, right?" Very nice!

cerebus
04-20-2004, 06:48 AM
Well, I'd love to stay & watch you run in circles but work shift has ended. Play nice kiddies! :D

Christopher M
04-20-2004, 06:52 AM
I'll be happy to account for any remark I have previously made; though, as your reference seems extremely vague, you'll have to point the issue of contention out explicitly.

blooming lotus
04-20-2004, 08:10 PM
to debate the "viablity" of one religion directly against another, especially here, is invitation for war....
you can't tell some one what set of beliefs is going to provide them comfort.....
my bad and I'll take the responsiblity.......

grew up in a catholic household myself and found buddhism

cheering

serene_dragon
02-13-2005, 02:50 PM
What I have encountered.

In my area there is an Kung fu instructor to whom when his students reach a certain level he requires them to call upon demons. To meditate away from the light into the dark. Telling them this is how they will reach their true potential.

I am against any kind of practice of this nature.

It has made it difficult in some ways for me to get new students because things like that get out in a comunity and people do not want their friends or family to be a part of such things and they relate all martial arts as being the same.

I just read this entire threat and I saw somewhere (unless I misunderstood their meaning) that someone said there is no good or evil.

I have heard that statement used with the following. Good is the absence of evil and evil is the absence of Good just like Light is the absence of dark and Dark is the absence of light. I was wandering if this was what you was saying.

SPJ
02-13-2005, 04:49 PM
Personally.

Religions are personal beliefs in this life and afterlife.

MA study is about training and practicing defense skills.

It is reasonable to have some understanding about the students' ideas of ethics and morality in general. Knowing your students and knowing your teachers etc.

Why you want to study MA?

It is not uncommon that a lot of MA schools have code of ethics or acceptable behaviors.

There would be some kinds of agreements to bind everyone together.

But to enforce a religion may not be a good idea.

SPJ
02-13-2005, 04:57 PM
Right or wrong may be in a dynamic flux of many factors all the time.

CMA was part of physical culture and must studies for scholars in ancient China.

Wen Wu Ju Bei. Wen Wu Xuan Quan.

Study both literature/history and MA and ready oneself, so that one is complete in both.

Even Confucius or Kong Fu Zi (551-479 B.C.) wore a straight sword with his belt while one hand holding the book and the other hand holding a writing brush.

KFZ even mentioned his swordsmanship and archery or hunting in his books. How to ride a horse and a horse driven carriage etc.

SPJ
02-13-2005, 05:03 PM
Guess what.

Confucius did not mention religion at all in his books and teachings.

In his talks with 72 students recorded in the book or Run Yu;

he said that Zi Bu Yu Guai Li Ruan Shen.

Thou shall not speak of things of strangeness, violence, immorality and spirits.

He renegaded the personal faiths not to be discussed in classes.

SimonM
02-13-2005, 05:45 PM
I was a Buddhist before I was a martial artist.

GeneChing
01-21-2008, 12:56 PM
I thought this news bit might generate some discussion. ;)

A new type of martial arts for the BVI – Christian Gung-Fu (http://www.bvinews.com/default.asp?sourceid=&smenu=198&twindow=&mad=&sdetail=4230&wpage=1&skeyword=&sidate=&ccat=&ccatm=&restate=&restatus=&reoption=&retype=&repmin=&repmax=&rebed=&rebath=&subname=&pform=&sc=1924&hn=bvinews&he=.com)
Paul On The Ball Hewlett 21.JAN.08
In the wake of rising crime in the BVI a new martial arts school has opened with the specific focus of taking crime off the streets and teaching the youngsters to redirect their efforts to something more productive and disciplined.

With this in mind, third degree Black Belt Sifu (Sensei) Gath Hewlett, who has been involved in martial arts for over 25 years and has practiced a number of different styles in the art, has created a new style of martial arts called God’s Christian Gung-Fu Academy (GCGA).

Many will remember Sifu Hewlett as the person who led the way forward for Purple Dragon after Sensei Albert Andrews and his wife departed for the US. Sifu stayed at the helm for over five years, but increasingly, like Bruce Lee, had a burning desire to carry martial arts to new heights in the BVI.

The school, GCGA, has practice three days a week, Monday and Wednesday from 7:30-9:00 p.m. at Body Images located by Botanic Station (by Happy Lion Restaurant - next to Social Development Building) and Saturdays from 3 to 5:30pm in the Sea Cow’s Bay Community Centre yard.

In an interview, Sifu Hewlett first gave me his background in martial arts.

“I have been seriously involved in martial arts ever since I know myself really. As a boy I would practice on my brother but from about the age of 20 I began studying first Judo in Tortola under Sensei Graham from England and then for four years in Canada. I then took up Taekwondo under Professor Dong Ja Yang while at Howard University. Finally I moved onto Don-Jitsu Ryu (a hybrid form of Jiu-Jitsu) under Sensei Albert Andrews of Professor Don Jacob of Purple Dragon for the last 10 years or so, until leaving the organization last year, not long after my wife’s passing.”

I next asked Sifu Hewlett to give some background on the philosophy of the new school. “This school is a conglomeration of many styles. It is an eclectic representation of Chinese Gung-Fu, using mainly the principles of Wing Chun and Hop Gar (monkey) Kung Fu, but also introducing elements of Brazilian Capoera as well as other hard styles (like Shotokan Karate and Taekwondo). The unique combination of styles makes for a unique representation and appearance, as it boasts completely unique forms and self-defense techniques, apart from the Chi-Kung exercises taken directly from Shaolin practices (obtained through research and learned from personal experience directly from practitioners of the art). It is a perfect combination of hard and soft styles,” he said.

Sifu Hewlett also explained what makes this new style unique and more effective than any other. “The philosophy of the school also makes it unique, as it is based solely on Christian principles, not Buddhism, Zen, Taoism or any other Eastern religion. The forms, affirmations, declarations and philosophy are all delicately interwoven to enable the practitioner to attain a highly developed sense of spiritual awareness of God, as he/she practices the movements and progresses through the levels. The journey becomes a highly personalized one and a struggle with self as the main opponent and the Evil One (and our bad habits) as our only enemy,” he said.

Sifu Hewlett next outlined his first five-year goal for the new school. “Over the next five years, I intend to open the school to be available for younger members, two, create some adult members who will rank at the black belt or instructor level, three, open new branches first within the BVI and then throughout the Caribbean and world, four, represent the BVI (either myself or one of my students or both) at an international competition or event so as to enhance the BVI’s tourism industry, and five, contribute to the education of the BVI community in a way that benefits people across all walks of life and age groups,” he explained.

The uniform which is orange also has a special significance. “The uniform was designed to emulate the Shaolin monks in China and also be comfortable and easy to mass produce. The orange colour is one which is chosen by the monks because of its positive energy, without being too loud. One will stand out but can yet be humble. I liked these reasons but chose the colour mainly to emulate the monks. The idea of associating with peaceful warriors, rather than the assassin-type warrior of the ninja (who dress in black) was deliberate. We want the same level skill as the ninja, without the association of being ‘killers’. In fact, we would rather be known as healers and protectors rather than mere fighters. The fighting art is just another road to perfection of self.

He finally spoke of his personal vision for GCGA. “My personal goal is create as many ‘friends’ or ‘healers’ as I can who will come to this level with me, so that we can enjoy and pass on the joys and lessons of getting closer to God to other healing friends. We shall witness to the world the power of Christ through this beautiful art of Gung-Fu. We shall perform seemingly impossible feats in Christ’s name. We shall draw many souls to God and save many from the Enemy’s snares of doom and destruction,” he said.

Sifu Hewlett will hold his first grading this coming Saturday at the Multi Purpose Sports Complex in Road Town opposite the Althea Scatliffe Primary School. For more information contact Sifu Hewlett on 540-1643 or email: timdarx@yahoo.com

Shaolin Wookie
01-21-2008, 12:59 PM
It's typical Christian arrogance: a cultural art from another country just isn't complete unless it conforms to the religious ideals of the West.

They use it as a vehicle, as a kind of candy for children, in order to proseltyze to the masses. I love the fact that he's going to perform miracles.

It's like the kung-fu nuts of the Cultural Revolution.

Question: is this any more acceptable than Chung Moo Quan?

Note: Capoeria, Karate, Monkey kung-fu (Cross-training....LOLOL!!!!)....they're rooted in so-called "pagan" traditions. Capoeira is, traditionally, a rogue art of street hoods; monkey kung-fu has roots in Chinese myth.

Why don't they just create a fighting sytle based on Christian principles? Basically, you're a rag doll, and you just keep turning your cheek. It's a boring kata to watch, but it teaches you just what to do in the face of conflict.

There's a sword form (for the ensiferous C[hristian]MA's), but it only aims at lopping off ears. I can't figure out why.

Watch out for my Doubting Thomas style! It's known for it's finger strikes.......my St. Paul style is rooted in the horse stance, but for some reason you have to fall over when you're performing it.

sanjuro_ronin
01-21-2008, 01:02 PM
Nothing is more Christian than kicking someone in the face.

monkeyfoot
01-21-2008, 01:03 PM
I cant wait to see the double crosses in action :D

sanjuro_ronin
01-21-2008, 01:05 PM
I like the "no buddhist" thing AND the orange uniforms emulate the shaolin monks :cool:

Shaolindynasty
01-21-2008, 01:07 PM
I'm confused. :confused:

Since when does the study of judo TKD and JJ qualify you to teach wing chun and Hop Ga?

Also, if he is so opposed to buddhism why is his uniform designed to emulate a buddhist robe?

This guy sounds lke a bull**** artist trying to use Christianity to market himself

doug maverick
01-21-2008, 01:07 PM
Hop Gar (monkey) Kung Fu,

didn't know hop gar was monkey kung fu.

doug maverick
01-21-2008, 01:10 PM
“The uniform was designed to emulate the Shaolin monks in China and also be comfortable and easy to mass produce. The orange colour is one which is chosen by the monks because of its positive energy, without being too loud. One will stand out but can yet be humble. I liked these reasons but chose the colour mainly to emulate the monks. The idea of associating with peaceful warriors, rather than the assassin-type warrior of the ninja (who dress in black) was deliberate. We want the same level skill as the ninja, without the association of being ‘killers’. In fact, we would rather be known as healers and protectors rather than mere fighters. The fighting art is just another road to perfection of self.

idk what to say about this one

Shaolindynasty
01-21-2008, 01:12 PM
This guy is so far off it almost made my head explode.

Shaolin Wookie
01-21-2008, 01:17 PM
Have the Virgin Islanders learned nothing?

I hope it's a covert ninja assassin gang.

BVI till I die, sucka!

jdhowland
01-21-2008, 01:28 PM
"GOD'S Christian Gung Fu"!!

That beats my grandmasters. Although he didn't specify which god...

Golden Spider
01-21-2008, 02:03 PM
Jesus; saving people with violence. The Conversion continues!

MasterKiller
01-21-2008, 02:07 PM
The man in action:

http://www.upperroomvc.org/pages.php?action=news&id=33

jdhowland
01-21-2008, 02:21 PM
The man in action:

http://www.upperroomvc.org/pages.php?action=news&id=33

I prefer the Bouncy Tiger. That should be the name of a system: Shaking Crane and Bouncy Tiger.

diego
01-21-2008, 03:24 PM
I thought this news bit might generate some discussion. ;)

um isn't all the animal and element style meditations too pagan for jesus....

doug maverick
01-21-2008, 03:49 PM
um isn't all the animal and element style meditations too pagan for jesus....

actually no there not. you have allot of Christian kung fu masters, both western and Chinese(met quite a few xing yi teacher's who were Christians in Taiwan and even a few here in new york) while the animal styles can be considered shamanic it all depends on the way you practice really.

SifuChow
01-21-2008, 06:17 PM
I'm confused. :confused:

Since when does the study of judo TKD and JJ qualify you to teach wing chun and Hop Ga?

Also, if he is so opposed to buddhism why is his uniform designed to emulate a buddhist robe?

This guy sounds lke a bull**** artist trying to use Christianity to market himself

I have nothing against Christian Kung Fu, especially since one of the most active schools in my area is the Christian Wushu Fellowship, a Kung Fu school with a pretty impressive group of students.

I do find it odd that someone studied Judo, TKD and JJ and believes they can create their own Kung Fu style. Not only do they create their own Chinese style out of their training in non-Chinese styles, they also claim that their style is the best: "Sifu Hewlett also explained what makes this new style unique and more effective than any other"....interesting.

My opinion is if this person really is a Sifu, he would have discussed his training in Kung Fu, not the other styles. If he really knows as many styles as he claims to incorporate into his style, he is probably not an expert in any of them and at best probably knows the basics of these styles. If he is a real martial artist he would have some respect for other styles instead of just claiming that his "chop suey" style is the best.

cjurakpt
01-22-2008, 05:06 AM
didn't know hop gar was monkey kung fu.

it's a clever ruse to fool...SATAN!!!

Drake
01-22-2008, 05:23 AM
This is less about christianity and more about a McDojo concept. It's easier to sucker in christians if they think it's jesus-oriented.

htowndragon
01-22-2008, 08:23 AM
so...how the hell does he know hop gar period?

CFT
01-23-2008, 07:31 AM
so...how the hell does he know hop gar period?He can't if he describes it as monkey kung fu.

ngokfei
01-23-2008, 08:05 AM
This guy is weird

But its no different then Shaolin Temple teaching martial Arts. It goes against the basic principles of buddhism.

Yeah, he says he learned everything else but Kung Fu and now is a Kung Fu teacher:confused:

Christianity as it is practiced does fall into the catagory of being a "Pagan Religion".

Its more akin to internal versus external. If its external/not christianity then it is considered Pagan.

Hell the image everybody uses to represent Jesus is actually taken from the likeness of Zeus.:D

Drake
01-23-2008, 08:17 AM
Except that Zeus would seriously whoop Jesus' ass in a fight.

BruceSteveRoy
01-23-2008, 08:24 AM
http://i.thefairest.info/funniest_thumbs/C7LT7i.jpeg

GeneChing
01-23-2008, 12:28 PM
I just skimmed the Christian Wushu Fellowship website (http://www.christian.wushu.com/). Interesting.

ngokfei - the practice of martial arts only goes against the basic principles of Buddhism if your intention is misguided. Of course, if you're fixated on some of the sutras the forbid monks touching weapons, you could make an argument focusing on that particular instance, but it would be a mistake to do so. Every longstanding religion has developed contradictory interpretations and they all preach peace to some degree. The same is essentially true for Taoism and Christianity. At least Islam is more honest that way.

tattooedmonk
01-23-2008, 12:34 PM
This is less about christianity and more about a McDojo concept. It's easier to sucker in christians if they think it's jesus-oriented.

I have to agree that it is easier to sucker Christians if it is Jesus oriented.I have to add that there is nothing wrong with religion on the whole, however, it is the extremists and the misguided that make religion look bad.

tattooedmonk
01-23-2008, 12:37 PM
This guy is weird

But its no different then Shaolin Temple teaching martial Arts. It goes against the basic principles of buddhism.

Yeah, he says he learned everything else but Kung Fu and now is a Kung Fu teacher:confused:

This guy is weird for sure.
If Martial arts training goes against basic buddhist principles, how do you think it is that Shaolin came to practice it??

KUNGFU??Depends on what your definition of Kung Fu is.

tattooedmonk
01-23-2008, 12:39 PM
I just skimmed the Christian Wushu Fellowship website (http://www.christian.wushu.com/). Interesting.

ngokfei - the practice of martial arts only goes against the basic principles of Buddhism if your intention is misguided. Of course, if you're fixated on some of the sutras the forbid monks touching weapons, you could make an argument focusing on that particular instance, but it would be a mistake to do so. Every longstanding religion has developed contradictory interpretations and they all preach peace to some degree. The same is essentially true for Taoism and Christianity. At least Islam is more honest that way.Gene, I like the way you see things.

tattooedmonk
01-23-2008, 12:42 PM
um isn't all the animal and element style meditations too pagan for jesus....This is a very good point. This is a topic for a whole new thread. I have had many discussions about this.

tattooedmonk
01-23-2008, 12:44 PM
actually no there not. you have allot of Christian kung fu masters, both western and Chinese(met quite a few xing yi teacher's who were Christians in Taiwan and even a few here in new york) while the animal styles can be considered shamanic it all depends on the way you practice really.Converts???

tattooedmonk
01-23-2008, 12:45 PM
so...how the hell does he know hop gar? period.Fixed it for ya. :D

diego
01-23-2008, 01:10 PM
This is a very good point. This is a topic for a whole new thread. I have had many discussions about this.
this christian cat was all into me showing him some gung fu...we start talking about how i like bhudda and all the prophets in general...he like jesus...i'm like yeah bhudda was before jesus he did some good...he like jesus...i'm like yeah all the religions is just god speaking differant languages...he like jesus:rolleyes::mad:

i got to the point where it's just like dude you wack all about jesus condescending others...i be like bhudda he like jesus is all what else is there....um mad history before jesus was born....all you need is jesus...

basically i got to the point i was like jesus is gay suck him off *****...no disrespect to ****sexuals i'm an 80's baby grew up on rambo and **** that's just how i talk:)

told him you wack talking all about jesus is the best when islam peeps and bhuddists hindu etc have helped more people than you have talking all about how much you like jesus and he rubs your balls....i'm was like how many people have you helped ****er! **** jesus

now i love talking about what is GOD i can't stand the toy closedmindedness of born again retards....i went to sunday school i know all about jesus...cuz i research every religion so i know about lighting up the darkness...

sanjuro_ronin
01-23-2008, 01:20 PM
this christian cat was all into me showing him some gung fu...we start talking about how i like bhudda and all the prophets in general...he like jesus...i'm like yeah bhudda was before jesus he did some good...he like jesus...i'm like yeah all the religions is just god speaking differant languages...he like jesus:rolleyes::mad:

i got to the point where it's just like dude you wack all about jesus condescending others...i be like bhudda he like jesus is all what else is there....um mad history before jesus was born....all you need is jesus...

basically i got to the point i was like jesus is gay suck him off *****...no disrespect to ****sexuals i'm an 80's baby grew up on rambo and **** that's just how i talk:)

told him you wack talking all about jesus is the best when islam peeps and bhuddists hindu etc have helped more people than you have talking all about how much you like jesus and he rubs your balls....i'm was like how many people have you helped ****er! **** jesus

now i love talking about what is GOD i can't stand the toy closedmindedness of born again retards....i went to sunday school i know all about jesus...cuz i research every religion so i know about lighting up the darkness...

and on that note:

diego
01-23-2008, 01:43 PM
and on that note:

THROWS ZIPPO IN THE AIR and shouts HipHopHooray:p

cjurakpt
01-23-2008, 02:04 PM
and on that note:

THROWS ZIPPO IN THE AIR and shouts HipHopHooray:p

no, I think you were supposed to shout, "Puh-RAYZ-ah J-EE-ahzus!!!"

diego
01-23-2008, 02:29 PM
no, I think you were supposed to shout, "Puh-RAYZ-ah J-EE-ahzus!!!"

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=4TtiiwItCEU

ngokfei
01-23-2008, 03:37 PM
Gene,

Your right in this case because we are talking about "Chinese" Buddhism which in many places diverts from the Source - India. To talk about Shaolin's take on Buddhism is unique to themselves only, and something to discuss for another day.:D

You can take anything and make it fit what you are doing. Take the Constitution, the Bible/Tora/Koran.

Trying to write something down clearly that can not be interpreted in another way. This is why lawyers are so rich:p

GeneChing
01-28-2008, 11:36 AM
How about Jewish TKD?

Judaism and martial arts: compatible for life (http://www.jewishdayton.org/page.html?ArticleID=165740)
By Rabbi David Burstein and Steve Markman, Special To The Dayton Jewish Observer

Recent visitors to the Boonshoft Center for Jewish Culture and Education have noticed dozens of adults and children dressed in white martial arts uniforms and sporting a rainbow of different colored belts to participate in tae kwon do classes. Tae kwon do is a Korean martial art. The name literally means "the way of the hand and foot."

As with most martial arts, it started as a military fighting technique. Today, more than 170 million people in more than 182 countries study tae kwon do, most often for fitness and sport.

While martial arts can be practiced only for sport, fitness, or self-defense, the serious student soon learns that a deeper, almost spiritual level, also exists.

Is this consistent with Jewish beliefs? Absolutely. Over the centuries, martial art practitioners developed warrior codes to bond themselves to each other and to the people they pledged their lives to protect.

These codes all revolved around ideals such as courage, honesty, courtesy, compassion, honor, modesty, sincerity, and loyalty to one’s country, family, and friends.

Over the years that we’ve studied martial arts, we’ve seen that martial arts and Jewish beliefs are not only similar, but very compatible.

In both, there is a keen sense of lineage and heritage. Honoring our ancestors and where we have come from is integral to Judaism.

We consistently recall and remember our ancestors and their lessons in our prayer service and with the recitation of the Torah cycle.

As Jews, we trace our ancestry to Abraham and feel that we all are part of his family. The Jewish faith has developed and diversified since Abraham passed his belief of a single God to his descendants.

While we all practice different levels of observance, we celebrate this common heritage and share a common language.

Similarly, martial arts evolved over the last several thousand years as practitioners refined and passed their skills and beliefs from generation to generation, often in secret.

Masters trained new masters and techniques became more precise, focused, and deadly. But a similar sense of heritage and family exists among serious practitioners of martial arts, their students, and their masters.

Judaism is about study, practice, and discipline. What rabbi doesn’t encourage his or her congregation to come for regular study?

While Judaism has its own dogma, the rabbinic and lay interpretations are all over the map. Two Jews will always have at least three opinions. That’s why we study together, discuss, debate and argue, but always walk away with the feeling we’ve learned and helped each other to learn.

Similarly, martial arts require continued study, practice and discipline. The physical aspects have to be repeated over and over under the watchful eyes of instructors and through individual practice.

A new technique may take thousands of repetitions. The serious student also learns the warrior code — the way of the warrior — and how it applies in peace as well as war.

Most people initially think that martial arts are all about fighting. This is not quite true. Yes, they’re about defending oneself and others. But they’re also about not having to fight by developing the confidence to know one can defeat an attacker if necessary.

One of our favorite lines comes from the movie The Karate Kid: "Fighting not good. Somebody always get hurt. But if you have to fight, win!"

With the warrior code in mind, the trained martial artist detests hurting or killing an opponent, but if forced to fight, he or she will fight to win. Martial arts are about preserving life.

Jewish belief puts the saving of life above all else. Jews have lots of rules. Most of us don’t follow all of them, but enough of them to make us feel Jewish.

However, virtually all rules can be violated if needed to save a life. It can be breaking kashrut (kosher laws), or driving or turning on an electrical device on Shabbat.

It also can be killing someone intent on taking another’s life, if that is the only way to stop the attack.

In Judaism, the thoughts we glean from the morning sermon or the evening class don’t end there. We take those thoughts with us and use them to improve ourselves and help others.

We put those thoughts into actions. We call them mitzvot (commandments).

Some Jews believe that doing mitzvot will help bring Moshiach (the Messiah), some are committed to helping others, and some feel it’s just the right thing to do.

The warrior code in martial arts, in part, is about helping others. In past times, martial artists were pledged to help and defend the common people.

This set them apart, placing them in a special position of respect by their countrymen. While martial artists today will rush to help a person being threatened, they also will help in other situations wherever possible.

Many martial art schools require each student to perform random acts of kindness.

These can be helping parents, helping friends or helping a stranger, without being asked. Mitzvot, if you like.

Martial arts did not arise only in the east. Many non-Asian countries around the world developed their own martial arts, including Israel.

Two Israeli martial arts taught worldwide are krav maga and haganah. These were developed by the Israeli military and were designed to teach critical fighting skills quickly to new soldiers.

Another Israeli martial art called abir was developed by Yehoshua Sofer, a Chasidic Jew and seventh-degree black belt.

Sofer trained in traditional Korean martial arts and Torah, and melded the two into a martial art based on biblical philosophy and history.

Abir focuses around 12 groupings of techniques, not surprisingly, one for each tribe. Abir is taught only in Israel at this time.

One last thought: martial arts beliefs never mention God, at most, a requirement to be religious.

Some medieval codes required knights to be religious, but didn’t mention any specific religion.

While we can profess a love for God, the real test of that love is how we live our lives.

We see Judaism as a religion that requires responsibility from its followers.

There is no deathbed forgiveness. A life lived with honor ultimately will end with honor, even for those who choose not to follow a religion or even believe in God.

These may be very Jewish thoughts, but they are also martial arts thoughts.

There is a place for faith in both Judaism and martial arts.

We as martial artists believe in our masters and trust in the skills they’ve taught us. We have faith in the inherent goodness and responsibility of our teachers.

There are many martial arts and many religions in the world. We realize that neither the religion nor the martial art that we’ve chosen is the only path for all people.

We share our stories and profess faith for God through discipline and action. We also realize that within Judaism and society there are many paths that are valid and honorable.

We respect these paths as we would our own.

Rabbi David Burstein, assistant rabbi at Temple Beth Or, holds black belts in two different martial arts. Steve Markman, a fifth-degree black belt, teaches tae kwon do at the Boonshoft CJCE. He is also commander of Jewish War Veterans Post 587.

GeneChing
02-06-2008, 10:46 AM
I'm retitling this thread from the original Christian Gung-Fu to Martial Arts & Religion. We got off to an odd start with this - too specific - but I think it's a great thread for more discussion.

Last update - 13:09 04/02/2008
Kosher karate (http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/950757.html)
By Ariel Rubinsky

"When I pray my kavana (intent) and my concentration are above average, because I train in tora dojo," says Ari Fuld, a resident of Efrat in the West Bank, a third dan in the unique martial art form known in the United States as the "Jewish karate."

Tora dojo is a method that combines "hard," sharp Japanese karate with "soft" Chinese martial arts, which focus on inner strength and flowing movement. This method encourages advanced students to study and experience other methods; each student who reaches the level of black belt receives a reading list of recommended Chinese texts. Moreover, there are no competitions. Practitioners, both religiously observant and secular, end each training session with chi kong (Chinese meditation).

At a time when the trend in martial arts is forgoing the spiritual aspect in favor of the most effective fighting techniques, tora dojo, which started within the American Jewish community, stands out. Through the rank of black belt, tora dojo is not very different from any other type of Japanese karate; training concentrates mostly on techniques from the Japanese shotokan method. However, after that point, students begin learning various types of kung fu, including pa kwa and white crane, as well as tai chi and other Chinese methods.
Advertisement
"Tora dojo is essentially a school of general martial arts. It enables personal development in the wide world of the martial arts," says Yali Rothenberg, 34, who has been practicing tora dojo for 18 years. "We aren't trying to prove which school is better or more effective - in the end, it all depends on the fighter, not the school. The focus is on learning and development."

"This is a Jewish discipline in the familial, traditional sense," adds Fuld, noting that three of his four children train. "After all, Judaism is about traditional learning and teaching, because something important is lost or eradicated with every change. This is also the case in the Chinese-Japanese world, and this is how we train, with much respect for the method."

Training with Gaydamak

Tora dojo began in the 1960s at Yeshiva University in New York, when professor Harvey Sober, a martial arts expert, concluded that yeshiva students needed karate training to strengthen their backs. The method's name is a play on words: "Tora" sounds like Torah but also means "tiger" in Japanese; dojo is a center for martial arts. The discipline received its kashrut certificate from the community and its rabbis.

It was imported to Israel in the early 1980s. There are now several clubs in the Jerusalem area and the center of the country. Disciples include Arcadi Gaydamak, who has frequent private lessons at his Caesarea home, led by his close adviser Gidi Marinovsky, a senior teacher of the method.

In the United States the system is taught at Jewish educational and cultural centers, including synagogues, and therefore the vast majority of the practitioners are Jews, many of them religiously observant. In Israel, many of the instructors have English-language accents, and many of the students wear skullcaps.

"This isn't a religious discipline, but it respects tradition, be it Jewish, Chinese or something else. Therefore, religious people feel more comfortable with us," says Arthur Gribetz, the chief trainer in Jerusalem and head of the school in Israel. He does not wear a skullcap, and considers himself Conservative.

"Openness is necessary for learning, and when you hear somebody religious explaining that during meditation he connects to a kind of higher power, it helps you to open yourself to the other," says Rothenberg, who is secular.

Gribetz notes that the founder of the system, Sober, was well-versed in Eastern philosophies and ideas. "Sober compared and contrasted Eastern and Jewish meditation, especially kabbala. He lectures about this at annual seminars in Israel," he says.

Fuld adds: "I am religious, and when I was studying at a yeshiva I was told that I have to pray with kavana but no rabbi told me how. I found I could connect to kavana through tora dojo, especially the meditation and guided imaging. After all, all prayer is a kind of meditation or trance."

Fuld says he once turned to "a great rabbi," and asked whether he was "transgressing boundaries." He says the rabbi told him, "Of course not. That is how prayer is supposed to be; the individual should be seeing himself as though he is standing before the Shekhinah," God's presence on earth.

Why is it so important that a karate student meditate?

"Because without this, the movement is technical and lacks content, and this is palpable at the higher levels. If the inner feeling isn't there, something is missing," says Fuld.

For Rothenberg, meditation is the most essential part of martial arts. "What distinguishes martial arts from other sports is the profundity, the inward contemplation," he says. "A good fighter is always aware of himself and his surroundings, because the victor is the one who adapts most quickly to changes. Therefore he has to be alert to his emotions and his opponent's emotions in order to read the opponent's moves and react accordingly - not in terms of thought, because there is no time for that, but rather movement. Meditation affords the tools for this, the concentration, the inner awareness and the awareness of the opponent's smallest nuances."

Rothenberg, who works at the Finance Ministry, says a fighter can take in everything the opponent does. "Not to clash with him head on, but rather to connect to him, to understand him. And this is good for all interactions, be it in fraught negotiations or a within a relationship or the family."

As for the lack of competitions, Gribetz explains, "If you want to win in competition, you have to neglect other things. Therefore, we feel that a discipline with competitions loses its principles and gradually disconnects from tradition."

Fuld adds that the school has more sublime aims than winning competitions. "Tora dojo includes hard physical work and it is also effective as self defense, but the aim is inner progress, progress as a human being, to neutralize the ego," he says.

RAB
02-06-2008, 10:54 AM
That's a good idea because you can't separate Chinese culture from Chinese kung fu. This guy was just creating another commercial niche for Americans.

sanjuro_ronin
02-06-2008, 11:06 AM
I really have no issues with religion being taught in a MA, though it makes little sense to me from a "fighters" view point.
As long as it is upfront and not "concealed".

Lucas
02-06-2008, 12:17 PM
effective than any other

This is all I need to read to send my BS meter soaring.

David Jamieson
02-06-2008, 12:19 PM
you do have to ask yourself, is the martial arts merely a veil to teach religion or the other way round?

they don't really have any sort of mutualness with the exception of healthy exercise.

learning to harm others is contradictory to virtually all religions barring satanism.
It is however not contradictory to aspects of buddhism where the destruction of evil is as real as your own inability to stop it because you were not trained to do so.

Lucas
02-06-2008, 01:01 PM
you do have to ask yourself, is the martial arts merely a veil to teach religion or the other way round?

they don't really have any sort of mutualness with the exception of healthy exercise.

learning to harm others is contradictory to virtually all religions barring satanism.
It is however not contradictory to aspects of buddhism where the destruction of evil is as real as your own inability to stop it because you were not trained to do so.

I will be opening my new school next week. The Satanic Gongfu Institute.

Come and learn how to hurt people from the guys who really love it!

TaiChiBob
02-06-2008, 01:17 PM
Greetings..

Yeah.. let's put the HARM back in "harmony"..

Be well..

SPJ
02-06-2008, 01:37 PM
Satan usually uses good things in life including desire of wisdom to lure people away from GOD.

the serpent lured Eve and Adam to eat the apples from the wisdom tree.

a lot temptations of beauty, wealth, power etc etc

we harm ourself by answering all our needs and wants in an excessive way

and lose the way of the dao, the way of the truth,--

:D;):eek:

David Jamieson
02-06-2008, 02:40 PM
Satan usually uses good things in life including desire of wisdom to lure people away from GOD.

hmmmn. an interesting mash up of taoism and old testament stuff.

having said that, we are all satan and we are all god by the very nature of our existence to deny one over the other is to deny wholeness and to remain incomplete. That, to me is the lesson of the tao, but then, I'm just a guy and frankly I don't go much for people in pulpits telling me what's good and what's not good for me.

Right and wrong don't need no books to define what they are. simply the deeds and the doers of same are all that are required. The rest is plainly observable in my opinion. Lest ye wish not to see and all that. :-)

Dim Wit Mak
02-06-2008, 09:20 PM
Nothing is more Christian than kicking someone in the face.

Careful now, Chuck N. lurks on this forum.:)

doug maverick
02-06-2008, 10:41 PM
Converts???

don't under stand that to much. but my sifu basically grew up in the church, his granfather was a minister.

RAB
02-07-2008, 03:25 PM
Right and wrong don't need no books to define what they are. simply the deeds and the doers of same are all that are required. The rest is plainly observable in my opinion. Lest ye wish not to see and all that. :-)

Sound like marriage.

jacksawild
04-22-2008, 02:41 PM
The revised ten commandments:

1. I am the LORD thy GOD and am much harder than thou and thou shall take no other GOD before ME. For I am a jealous GOD and I will open up a can of whoopass on your sorry behind.
2. Thou shalt not make thyself an idol except for training purposes.
3. Thou shalt not take MY name in vein... say "Bruce Lee" instead.
4. Observe the sabbath, but still practice your forms... OR I will strike thee down with great vengeance and furious anger.
5. Honour thy Father, Mother and Sifu.
6. Thou shalt not murder... except in self defence or no-one is looking.
7. Thou shalt not commit adultery for thy wife is harder than thou.
8. Thou shalt not steal secret techniques.
9. Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour unless thy neighbour says you threw the first punch.
10. Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house or wife... if you covet his brother then I don't want to know and for "Bruce Lee's" sake don't tell Paul who'll go bat**** nuts.

Satanism is about hedonism not doing evil.

DISCLAIMER: I am not a satanist.

This guy is weird for sure.
If Martial arts training goes against basic buddhist principles, how do you think it is that Shaolin came to practice it??

KUNGFU??Depends on what your definition of Kung Fu is.
Circumstances. They came to practice it as a way of stopping their bodies from wasting away. The bohdidharma saw thier bodies wasting from excessive meditation and taught them yogic techniques which eventually became martial to combat external attacks. Buddhism doesn't prohibit self-defence after all.

Kung-Fu simply means 'aquired skill'.

I'm sure you knew all that and they were just throw away comments but hey... I like the sound of my own voice. *shrug*

David Jamieson
04-22-2008, 02:58 PM
The revised ten commandments:

Satanism is about hedonism not doing evil.

Satan, in the Judeao-Christian-Islamic view is the embodiment of evil.
To be a true satanist is to aspire to the ideal of satan, which is to embody satan.

same as the true Christian will try and embody christ.

The christian will help the child while the satanist will rape the child.
the christian will shelter the man and the satanist would leave him to the elements

there are many who claim to be Christian, but are not, same as satanists. Hedonism, is sinful, but hardly satanic. Jesus hung with all the robbers and the hookers at the drinking holes himself. he had to, it was they who need the most help.

True Satanism is beyond mere hedonism.

Lucas
04-22-2008, 03:16 PM
The satanist may rape the child, or they may sacrafice the child, or they might just ignore the child...but not all satanists like to rape children....he would likely do that which serves him best and gives him the most pleasure. Which could even include caring for the child. Depending. Also remember satanists are very selfish and will do what ever suits them most.

oh, im not satanic.

SanHeChuan
04-22-2008, 03:54 PM

who really lied in that situation.

But the serpent said to the woman, "You will not die. 5For God knows that when you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil."

True

And the Lord God commanded the man, saying, "You may freely eat of every tree of the garden; 17but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you shall die."

Lie, they didn't die that day.

David Jamieson
04-22-2008, 05:49 PM
The satanist may rape the child, or they may sacrafice the child, or they might just ignore the child...but not all satanists like to rape children....he would likely do that which serves him best and gives him the most pleasure. Which could even include caring for the child. Depending. Also remember satanists are very selfish and will do what ever suits them most.

oh, im not satanic.

everyone is selfish and driven by self interest. It is in our nature. we are born lazy and filled with desire and we learn to do good deeds, we learn to work and strive for a better live. We learn these constructs because self interest and mutual survival are bound together like yin and yang.

True satanism is not the goth dress up nonsense of Anton LeVay and his ridiculous bible and publicity stunts.

True satanism is not "Naturism"

Most people who profess to be satanists are not. Like Christians or Buddhists or take your pick. Practicing a faith is more than a bum in a seat on a saturday or sunday, or knees on a mat throughout the week. Deeds are what defines all of these.

You do not want to see the real satanist, you don't want to be near, you want to avoid.

kwaichang
04-22-2008, 06:13 PM
There were 2 main trees in the Garden of Eden, the tree of the Knowledge of good and evil and the tree of Life, In Revelation the Tree of Life returns as Jesus. It wasnt until the eating of the forbidden fruit that the 2 were cast out of Eden. They werent cast out because of the tree but for disobedience. They were forewarned. Until that time there was no time, or disease, the world was perfect. Under the protection of God. I have read the remarks of those on this thread and I feel you guys should stick to discussing something you "seem' to know like Martial arts. KC

David Jamieson
04-22-2008, 07:08 PM
There were 2 main trees in the Garden of Eden, the tree of the Knowledge of good and evil and the tree of Life, In Revelation the Tree of Life returns as Jesus. It wasnt until the eating of the forbidden fruit that the 2 were cast out of Eden. They werent cast out because of the tree but for disobedience. They were forewarned. Until that time there was no time, or disease, the world was perfect. Under the protection of God. I have read the remarks of those on this thread and I feel you guys should stick to discussing something you "seem' to know like Martial arts. KC

Why would you say something like that when virtually all the written material in all religious documents are subject to constant interpretation and in fact across sects of the same religion are given to having entirely different meanings.
For instance, in your example from genesis, this is interpreted as:

Man began to eat a particular food that started his brain to grow, a neo cortex formed above his primal brain and abstract thought began to occur, reason, and finally...language. And with that, there was leaving eden.

Remember, in the beginning there was the word, and the word was god. This is often interpreted as word=language

also, consider that without language or the ability to communicate abstract concepts and ideas, none of us would be here communicating with each other.

SanHeChuan
04-22-2008, 08:01 PM

Forewarned? He said they would die that day, not get booted from eden. Liar!:mad: :p

If you maintain that GOD is Omnipotent then nothing happens that isn't what God wants. Satan then (or in this case the serpent) is just another tool that God uses to get what he wants. If Satan is Evil and he works at the behest of God, then wouldn't that make God evil as well.

If GOD created "man" to have free will then He would have to engineer a situation in which "man" could exercise that free will, Hence the tree of Knowledge. "Man's" ejection from Eden was not a punishment but the plan, If we had stayed in Eden immortal and perfectly obedient then we wouldn't be any better than angles.

It's just a story to explain why life is so hard if God is so Good.

Why do Christians insist on vilifying those things that drive the best changes. Like "Judas" if not for Judas, and the Jews, and the Romans Jesus would not have died for "man's" sins and we would all still be doomed to hell no matter what we did. And yet Judas is the bad guy, if not for him there would be no Christian religion. AND no heaven for you.

kwaichang
04-22-2008, 08:13 PM
God also says if you are not of me then I do not know you and therefore you are not known bygod. Also die you will as up to that time death was not known. Truth is not open to interpretation. KC Who among you are Biblical scholars?? Non I would bet by your current statements.

SanHeChuan
04-22-2008, 08:33 PM
Yeah well when are you going to start making valid points. Truth is Truth is not an argument, a biblical scholar should be able to do better than that. Not all biblical scholars actually believe in the bible.

I'm scholar enough to know that the tale of Jesus is based on older stories that are allegorical about the movement of the stars in the sky. If the stories of Jesus was told by other names before the actual time of Jesus like with Horus, Mithras, Krishna etc... then Jesus didn't actually live in the time you think.

I know that there are only four sources outside the bible that mention Jesus, one is a known fake and the other three only refer to the 'anointed one' and do not name Jesus.

But maybe the devil planted those stories along with dinosaur bones.

sanjuro_ronin
04-23-2008, 04:12 AM
Lie, they didn't die that day.

They lost not only their "innocence" (which died), but they lost their immortality.

sanjuro_ronin
04-23-2008, 04:16 AM
Why would you say something like that when virtually all the written material in all religious documents are subject to constant interpretation and in fact across sects of the same religion are given to having entirely different meanings.
For instance, in your example from genesis, this is interpreted as:

Man began to eat a particular food that started his brain to grow, a neo cortex formed above his primal brain and abstract thought began to occur, reason, and finally...language. And with that, there was leaving eden.

Remember, in the beginning there was the word, and the word was god. This is often interpreted as word=language

also, consider that without language or the ability to communicate abstract concepts and ideas, none of us would be here communicating with each other.

The "word" has also been interpreted as His "all powerful name" and as Jesus.

That is the beauty and th curse of the Bible, it is subject to interpretation and like all things subject to interpretation, it is subject to pre-disposed views of who is interpreting it at any given time.

jacksawild
04-23-2008, 04:50 AM
Satan, in the Judeao-Christian-Islamic view is the embodiment of evil.
To be a true satanist is to aspire to the ideal of satan, which is to embody satan.

same as the true Christian will try and embody christ.

The christian will help the child while the satanist will rape the child.
the christian will shelter the man and the satanist would leave him to the elements

there are many who claim to be Christian, but are not, same as satanists. Hedonism, is sinful, but hardly satanic. Jesus hung with all the robbers and the hookers at the drinking holes himself. he had to, it was they who need the most help.

True Satanism is beyond mere hedonism.

Sorry, yeah I was talking about Mr. Lavey's satanism. Though I'm not aware that the 'true' satanism of which you speak actually exists outside of hollywood as any worshipper of Lucifer would be required to believe in God as well and defy Him.

It is interesting to note that it is only Christianity in which Satan is an enemy of God. In Islam he is a jinn, an intelligent being with free-will (unlike the angels) created from smokeless fire. His only enemy is mankind as he refused to bow down to Adam because he thought him inferior having been created from mud. God puts off his punishment until judgment day to allow him to tempt mankind.

In traditional Judaism he is rather friendly with God (see the book of Job) and as a creation of God cannot be evil for that would take away from God's perfection. He does not create evil but points it out to God, he is the divine courts chief prosecutor and only has power when evil is commited. In fact, the Book of Isaiah, Job, Ecclesiastes, and Deuteronomy all have passages in which God is credited for exercising sovereign control over both good and evil.

sanjuro_ronin
04-23-2008, 04:57 AM
Sorry, yeah I was talking about Mr. Lavey's satanism. Though I'm not aware that the 'true' satanism of which you speak actually exists outside of hollywood as any worshipper of Lucifer would be required to believe in God as well and defy Him.

It is interesting to note that it is only Christianity in which Satan is an enemy of God. In Islam he is a jinn, an intelligent being with free-will (unlike the angels) created from smokeless fire. His only enemy is mankind as he refused to bow down to Adam because he thought him inferior having been created from mud. God puts off his punishment until judgment day to allow him to tempt mankind.

In traditional Judaism he is rather friendly with God (see the book of Job) and as a creation of God cannot be evil for that would take away from God's perfection. He does not create evil but points it out to God, he is the divine courts chief prosecutor and only has power when evil is commited. In fact, the Book of Isaiah, Job, Ecclesiastes, and Deuteronomy all have passages in which God is credited for exercising sovereign control over both good and evil.

Interesting interpretation.

kwaichang
04-23-2008, 06:31 AM
People will interpret things acording to their level of growth. The Bible also mentions to be wary of Man and his supposed knowledge that he finds vanity in. Truth is the base from which all interpretation springs. But until one reaches the source they are only supposing. KC

Shaolin Wookie
04-23-2008, 02:15 PM
I'm an atheist but I actually like the Bible. Genesis is like a poor man's Vedas; some of the intermediary stories from Judges are like stories from the Three Kingdoms, and the parables of the Old Testament are rich with symbolism. I'm just not that big on the fanatical New Testament stuff, with the convert or die for all eternity BS of the Pauline hornswagglers that turn literary criticism into a universal categorical imperative.

Give me talking snakes, vengeful deities, and burning bushes anyday. I just wish they'd cut out that salvation and redemption crap. The Bible would have been much better if Jesus had talked to the fish instead of multiplying them, walked out on the water, and done battle with the great sea serpent of Babylon to reclaim the "snake-bound" wishing staff of Moses. Who knows, I might have remained a believer.....

Lucas
04-23-2008, 02:17 PM
religions that dont have a healthy dose of good ol mythos to back them up are just boring anyhow.

Shaolin Wookie
04-23-2008, 02:25 PM
It's the problem with Scientology, Christianity, and Mormonism--they actually believe the fables they tell.

Lucas
04-23-2008, 02:26 PM
But what about the Heathens? Think they believe in the old gods for real?

Shaolin Wookie
04-23-2008, 02:32 PM

There's actually a gnostic tradition that the Demiurge (an imperfect creator) created the earth and mankind, and thus was fallible and allowed for error. He represented an old patriarchal order of godhead, and Satan was actually Sophia--Wisdom, a female serpent. She came to Eden to free Adam and Eve and to open their minds to stir them to battle against the old patriarchal order of gods, represented by the Creator.

I like that version much better.

golden arhat
04-23-2008, 02:57 PM
why does anyone care if god exists or not ?

surely if people just focused on being better people instead of pontificating on who is right or wrong everything would turn out fine wouldnt it ?

Shaolin Wookie
04-23-2008, 03:16 PM

surely if people just focused on being better people instead of pontificating on who is right or wrong everything would turn out fine wouldnt it ?

Yup. Otherwise, we're just some dudes that show up to a fight based on internet squabbles and debate an ear grind ad infinitum to see who's the better man.....LOL.....

David Jamieson
04-23-2008, 03:16 PM

pontificating on who is right or wrong about anything religious or otherwise has nothing to do whether or not god exists.

what is the guideline for being a better person in the society you live in but rule of law which sprang from religious tenet.

If you look back on our relatively short time line of existence, many of us are all too distracted by our own folly as opposed to actually thinking or acting on the state of being that we are in.

less than 5000 years is NOTHING. Man is so incredibly hubris filled in his wayward journey forward.

It is important. All is mind, and that's why it is important. Nothing of manifest material of man exists without mind first. To just amble forward in ignorance without asking the questions is even more folly in my opinion.

Shaolin Wookie
04-23-2008, 03:22 PM
what is the guideline for being a better person in the society you live in but rule of law which sprang from religious tenet.

Not true. Religious guidelines aren't the source of "guidelines for being a better person". For centuries it was common for a thirty-five year old man to marry a fourteen year old girl, and be praised for it. Casanova chronicles, amongst his many women, liasons with twelve year old girls--liaisons that the parents of said children viewed with candor. Due to changes in government control and regulation, the changing family demographic, and the equality clauses of the democratic ideal, it is now unthinkable for such pairings to take place....thank god (I'm being ironic). Religion takes credit for what Democracy brings about. Being a better person means being a socially responsible person. Do you think it's coincidental that Christianity has tied itself to monarchies, and now Democracy? Get in the sheets with the people in power and take credit for social reform--thus saith the lord.

kwaichang
04-23-2008, 04:01 PM
Well SW I really feel sorry for you you have nothing to believe in. So how do you suppose the universe came to be ??? Big bang I bet ha what a joke. KC

Shaolin Wookie
04-23-2008, 04:22 PM
Well SW I really feel sorry for you you have nothing to believe in. So how do you suppose the universe came to be ??? Big bang I bet ha what a joke. KC

I don't have to "believe in" a reformist Jew in some random period in time as being the "key to all existence, and the almighty arbiter in cosmic Fate, keeper of Heaven and Earth, and weilder of the flaming sword of vengeance!" in order to "believe in" the potential of the human race, the value of life and social order, kindness to strangers, love and happiness, and the bond between man and nature as the all-unifying bond to the cosmos. Big Bang? Eh....who cares.......

I am an organic being composed of a trillion organic beings. I am the will that is impossible to realize without red blood cells, white blood cells, neurons, platelets, hemoglobin, bacteria, organs, tissue--in all, I'm the sum of a trillion little parts, the unifying conscious faculty of organic will. But my will is only the governing power of a trillion individual wills, natural order, and chemical/organic processes on atomic/subatomic levels. Now, how can I possibly be so vain as to think that I'm a bonafide Kosmokrator?

Surely you don't think the original Shaolin monks were a bunch of misled, unhappy heathens with nothing to believe in?

golden arhat
04-23-2008, 04:28 PM

maybe he just doesnt rush to put his faith in some sky daddy like you seem to

i personally believe in a greater presence, but only as a concept

not in any religious sense

something created me ? so i have to praise them?
i didnt ask to be created my mother gave birth to me, i dont pray to her.

i think all religions based on a god(s) telling people what to do are systems of making people submit to someones will, nothing more.

Lucas
04-23-2008, 04:33 PM
I don't have to "believe in" a reformist Jew in some random period in time as being the "key to all existence, and the almighty arbiter in cosmic Fate, keeper of Heaven and Earth, and weilder of the flaming sword of vengeance!" in order to "believe in" the potential of the human race, the value of life and social order, kindness to strangers, love and happiness, and the bond between man and nature as the all-unifying bond to the cosmos. Big Bang? Eh....who cares.......

I am an organic being composed of a trillion organic beings. I am the will that is impossible to realize without red blood cells, white blood cells, neurons, platelets, hemoglobin, bacteria, organs, tissue--in all, I'm the sum of a trillion little parts, the unifying conscious faculty of organic will. But my will is only the governing power of a trillion individual wills, natural order, and chemical/organic processes on atomic/subatomic levels. Now, how can I possibly be so vain as to think that I'm a bonafide Kosmokrator?

Surely you don't think the original Shaolin monks were a bunch of misled, unhappy heathens with nothing to believe in?

Dont get on the Heathens case now. Shaolin monks couldnt possibly been mean of the Heather, they were too far east :p

Heathenism is coming back you know. Long live ODIN!

kwaichang
04-23-2008, 04:48 PM
What I believe I have yet to post . The humanistic views preached by you guys are so shallow I cant help but laugh " a trillion wills" or was it three I forget. KC

Shaolin Wookie
04-23-2008, 05:15 PM
Yes, well I'm not convinced that an eternity in flames is really that unpleasant if I don't have a central nervous system and nerve endings to relay messages of pain and torture up and down my spinal cord. But that's just me.

What I was describing for you was the commonality of life in its myriad forms, the equality of life not based on the pride of species, and the valuation of all life and all suffering, because we are all basically the same material as a worm, as a bacterium, as an elephant, as a chimpanzee. Valuing life is not the same as "believing in" Christ. They are, and always will be separate.

I would question the value you place on "humanism" because if a humanist thinks we all should treat each other well and as equals, and help out a brother in need, regardless of his religious orientation, I think that beats out the "convert and feed at the hand of Christ or suffer your hardships" mentality espoused by many religious organizations. When Mother Theresa traveled the world, she did so in a humanist capacity in service of a relgiious organization.

Good people are good people. No religion has a monopoly on meaning and service to humanity. There were good people before Christ, and I dare say people better than him long after.

Shaolin Wookie
04-23-2008, 05:21 PM
What I believe I have yet to post . The humanistic views preached by you guys are so shallow I cant help but laugh " a trillion wills" or was it three I forget. KC

It's okay, your laughter is a product of your brain's assessment of information and the emotional response it attaches to such assessments. These are dependent on the firing of your neurons, which also control the responses that cause your face to curl up into a smile, utilizing muscles, and stimulate the air to burst from your lungs in customary "laughing" fashion. There are many wills in your laughter.

sanjuro_ronin
04-24-2008, 04:41 AM
This is why religion and MA go so well together, people in both thing they have the "real" religion/MA.

David Jamieson
04-24-2008, 05:09 AM
sw- yes true.

the original laws were of the godhead (god-gods).
The priesthood ran almost everything in times of yore and if rule of law did not spring from religious tenet, then why the separation of church and state?

they were at one time mutual. the split in the big time line of things is actually quite recent.

almost every culture on the planet had a priesthood who held th e law of god(s) supreme over the rules they themselves had or behaviours they had. they would even revise laws they made if disaster came. Say a village was burned, well, many interpret that as gods wrath.

even today people do this. in America! really. :)

jacksawild
04-25-2008, 04:24 PM
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.
Siddhartha Gautama a.k.a The Buddha

Lucas
04-25-2008, 04:30 PM
straight up.

Shaolin Wookie
04-25-2008, 05:33 PM
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

I'm calling BS on this statement, because common sense is anything but common, and there are a lot of idiots out there whose reason is flawed.....and their perception of reality and truth is dependent on their close-minded, ethnocentric, sexist, bigoted, cultural monism.

Common sense, by its "commonality", is not a privatized affair. It involves "public" matters, "public" concerns, and democratic rationality.

tattooedmonk
04-25-2008, 05:38 PM
Do not believe something because everyone says it or believes it or because it is tradition , believe it only if you find it to be useful and true.

Lucas
04-25-2008, 06:02 PM
Regardless of how it goes, we all know it wasnt meant for idiots and morons ;)

I for one can take either statement to heart, as I do value my own senses to be adequate...

Shaolin Wookie
04-25-2008, 08:12 PM
Regardless of how it goes, we all know it wasnt meant for idiots and morons ;)

I for one can take either statement to heart, as I do value my own senses to be adequate...

Yeah, but we could put that statement into the mouth of George W. Bush and it'd take on a whole new meaning, right?;)

NJM
04-25-2008, 10:07 PM
It is interesting to note that it is only Christianity in which Satan is an enemy of God.

Sa-tan is subordinate to God in Christianity as well, this was merely warped by the RCC.

Big bang I bet ha what a joke.

Stop before you give a whole group of people a bad name.

jacksawild
04-26-2008, 02:35 AM
I'm calling BS on this statement, because common sense is anything but common, and there are a lot of idiots out there whose reason is flawed.....and their perception of reality and truth is dependent on their close-minded, ethnocentric, sexist, bigoted, cultural monism.

Common sense, by its "commonality", is not a privatized affair. It involves "public" matters, "public" concerns, and democratic rationality.

Yeah, but we could put that statement into the mouth of George W. Bush and it'd take on a whole new meaning, right?;)

I think that we have to accept that each of us has a perception of reality which is real to us. By the same token I think we could all be considered idiots whose reason is flawed based on our own biases, realtively speaking of course. I think it was Voltaire who said "I may not agree with what you have to say but I will defend to the death your right to say it".

Do not believe something because everyone says it or believes it or because it is tradition , believe it only if you find it to be useful and true.

There are many differing translations getting at the same meaning all giving the sense of similar intent.

Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumoured by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.

My understanding of it is that it is a warning against literal dogmatism. If you take these words, or indeed any words, too literally and view them as immutable law then you have missed the point of intent behind them. Which leads on to my next point.

Sa-tan is subordinate to God in Christianity as well, this was merely warped by the RCC.

Isn't it funny how the same teachings can be interpreted in such vastly different ways and over time the divide becomes so ingrained that it becomes dangerous and all sides begin to view their interpretation as more important than the intended good meant by the words, i.e Love one another. Perhaps there was a reason that Christ didn't write any books.

Shaolin Wookie
04-26-2008, 05:31 AM
Perhaps there was a reason that Christ didn't write any books.

Not to get ****ty, but considering the availability of literacy to the impoverished Jews repressed under Roman colonization and the fact that Christ surrounded himself with a tax-collector, a doctor, a fisherman who could write, and Mark (I don't think we ever get his profession, do we?), the probability is that Christ couldn't read or write. We don't see him reading; we have a peripatetic rabbi who argued extempore and debated orally. Personally, the idea that a fisherman could read and write is to me kind of ridiculous, so I chalk his gospel up to spurious origins, amongst other reasons. There's a reason that it's an ex-Roman soldier who wrote the larger portion of the New Testament. And, there's likely a reason we don't have Hebrew gospels, but rather later Greek "translations". There is a strong likelihood that the gospels were the sublimation of an oral Christian culture. Chrisitianity never looks good on paper; its success has always relied on the spoken word.;)

David Jamieson
04-26-2008, 09:42 AM
The statement from buddha is often misinterpreted to support a lazy mind.

as in: "what's that? believe nothing? ok! I won't "...

when in fact, what it means is "do your due diligence, investigate, and do the work to set the foundation for belief if there is a question of belief being raised."

or "don't participate in blind faith because it exhibits and nurtures a lazy mind".

jacksawild
04-27-2008, 03:37 PM
Not to get ****ty, but considering the availability of literacy to the impoverished Jews repressed under Roman colonization and the fact that Christ surrounded himself with a tax-collector, a doctor, a fisherman who could write, and Mark (I don't think we ever get his profession, do we?), the probability is that Christ couldn't read or write. We don't see him reading; we have a peripatetic rabbi who argued extempore and debated orally. Personally, the idea that a fisherman could read and write is to me kind of ridiculous, so I chalk his gospel up to spurious origins, amongst other reasons. There's a reason that it's an ex-Roman soldier who wrote the larger portion of the New Testament. And, there's likely a reason we don't have Hebrew gospels, but rather later Greek "translations". There is a strong likelihood that the gospels were the sublimation of an oral Christian culture. Chrisitianity never looks good on paper; its success has always relied on the spoken word.;)

good point... well made.

Unless that is that you believe JC to be ManGod. Then he'd have known everything.

kwaichang
04-27-2008, 04:06 PM
Christ was not a fisherman he was the son of a Carpenter on earth and God in Heaven he was literate as it was the custom for Jewish children to learn the Torah well anyway as usual SW got it wrong and the NT was written partially up to 100 years after the death of Christ and compiled much later as the Bible. by King James Ie: King James version. Some of the letters to the Corinthians were written earlier. KC
Let me ask this if a man believes strongly enough and was an eye witness to Christ and his word do you think he would be Flayed or Crucified upside down or Stonned to death???

David Jamieson
04-27-2008, 04:59 PM
good point... well made.

Unless that is that you believe JC to be ManGod. Then he'd have known everything.

Yeshua Bar Joseph, being a rabbi would know how to read and how to write and how to articulate in multiple languages. he spoke with his country in Aramaic and he spoke to those who occupied his country in their tongue which was Latin.

If we say he was a historical figure, which is difficult actually, believe it or not, then we have to take it for granted that he was literate.

However, I think it needs to be understood that many of the writings about Jesus were edited and redacted out of the canonical texts of what is the bible now.

Not to mention the huge errors in translation from Hebrew to Greek to Latin to English, which would make the king james bible the least reliable one of them all.

For instance, where King James says that he was born of a virgin, the original hebrew merely says "young girl",As in "he was born of a young girl".

YOu see how this small error has caused such a huge error down the road.

It is also worthy of note that the feverishly faithful are the least scholarly about religion. No matter what it is. Education has this thing about developing a critical mind which in turn really tests faith in an individual.

Not saying we are scholars here, or even theologians, but I am guessing that one or two of us has some religious studies under our belts. I would also say that one or two of us are coming at the debate from a position of knowing only that which is dogmatically imposed upon us or indoctrinated within us. Cest La Vie. :)

kwaichang
04-27-2008, 05:46 PM
Yes born of a young girl or Virgin as if she werent she would have been a prostitute and or Stoned to death and considering the Jewish faith and customs the latter would be more likely. Unless she were protected by some devine intervention. Heck all we have is given by God and his son Jesus who is God in human form. KC

jacksawild
04-27-2008, 11:24 PM
The term rabbi is used toward Jesus as a sign of respect, it means teacher in this context. If he were chinese maybe he'd have been called sifu. He certainly wasn't part of the Jewish priest class as is evidenced by the whole Caiphus debacle. i.e How dare a common man come to our holy city and preach his dangerous ideas... let's get the Romans to kill him.

Not wishing to speak for SW but I don't think he was saying that Christ's profession was a fisherman he was talking about the 'alleged' gospel writers.

Then it all becomes murky depending on how you think the gospels came about; the most popular theory is the two-source theory. Matthew, Luke and John come from one source and Mark form a different source. The gospel of Mark is the most Pauline and there are errors of geography when it talks about the holy lands suggesting it was written by someone who never visited there.

golden arhat
04-28-2008, 01:04 AM
Christ was not a fisherman he was the son of a Carpenter on earth and God in Heaven he was literate as it was the custom for Jewish children to learn the Torah well anyway as usual SW got it wrong and the NT was written partially up to 100 years after the death of Christ and compiled much later as the Bible. by King James Ie: King James version. Some of the letters to the Corinthians were written earlier. KC
Let me ask this if a man believes strongly enough and was an eye witness to Christ and his word do you think he would be Flayed or Crucified upside down or Stonned to death???

the king james bible was not written by king james stupid

it was written by shakespeare

golden arhat
04-28-2008, 01:07 AM
Heck all we have is given by God and his son Jesus who is God in human form. KC

ummmm i'm pretty sure thats not the truth

but enjoy delusion anyway

sanjuro_ronin
04-28-2008, 04:42 AM
Not to mention the huge errors in translation from Hebrew to Greek to Latin to English, which would make the king james bible the least reliable one of them all.

Its a interesting one, the new testament that is, if we look into the translating part.
First off, we don't know who wrote them, not for certainty and we don't know who translated them either.
We do know that Jesus and his muchachos were hebrew that spoke aramaic and, if they were educated (most weren't), spoke and wrote classical greek.
We kind of have to assume that the original writings were classical greek being translated from spoken aramaic (ouch!) and then eventually translated into Latin or perhaps into "modern greek" and then into latin, then into German if I remember correctly and then into english.
Now, if that isn't a headache and a half, one has to remember that the vast majority of translators don't do literal translations, they do what they think a given sentence/paragraph means.

kwaichang
04-28-2008, 05:13 AM
Arhat Stupid is as stupid does and you just did it I did not say King James wrote the bible he did however bring togethor the scholars to decide what would be in the Bible STUPID KC

kwaichang
04-28-2008, 05:25 AM
The King James Version
James desired to secure a reconciliation between the throne and the Anglican church on the one hand, and the puritans on the other. Therefore he called the Hampton Court Conference in January of 1604 "for the hearing, and for the determining, things pretended to be amiss in the church" inviting Anglican bishops, clergymen, and professors, along with four Puritan divines, to consider the complaints of the Puritans. None of the Puritan demands were met but one. The Puritan president of Corpus Christi College, John Reynolds, "moved his Majesty, that there might be a new translation of the Bible, because those which were allowed in the reigns of Henry the eighth, and Edward the sixth, were corrupt and not answerable to the truth of the Original."

James replied that he:

"Could never yet see a Bible well translated in English; but I think that, of all, that of Geneva is the worst. I wish some special pains were taken for an uniform translation, which should be done by the best learned men in both Universities, then reviewed by the Bishops, presented to the Privy Council, lastly ratified by the Royal authority, to be read in the whole Church, and none other."

The resolution states in in part::

"That a translation be made of the whole Bible, as consonant as can be to the original Hebrew and Greek; and this to be set out and printed, without any marginal notes, and only to be used in all churches of England in time of divine service."

Gee no mention of shakespeare KC:D

David Jamieson
04-28-2008, 05:50 AM
The term rabbi is used toward Jesus as a sign of respect, it means teacher in this context. If he were chinese maybe he'd have been called sifu. He certainly wasn't part of the Jewish priest class as is evidenced by the whole Caiphus debacle. i.e How dare a common man come to our holy city and preach his dangerous ideas... let's get the Romans to kill him.

Not wishing to speak for SW but I don't think he was saying that Christ's profession was a fisherman he was talking about the 'alleged' gospel writers.

Then it all becomes murky depending on how you think the gospels came about; the most popular theory is the two-source theory. Matthew, Luke and John come from one source and Mark form a different source. The gospel of Mark is the most Pauline and there are errors of geography when it talks about the holy lands suggesting it was written by someone who never visited there.

sorry you are wrong. He was considered a Rabbi. Not just a teacher. He was a jew and he was a rabbi in the jewish faith and he preached the Torah along with his radical taunts of the pharisees who he saw as a problem for the people.

Caiphus was a pharisee. the pharisees were a power base, but were not the whole of the jewish preisthood.

and "young girl" is only that. Virgin is a different word and if it were a virgin birth, it would have distinctly said so.

It is this type of redaction and repression that has in fact made everything so difficult to source. When people keep dead ending on the whole deification of jesus, they fill in the blanks with their fear and anger and denial.

If jesus were only a man like the rest of us, or like buddha or mohammed or moses or any other messenger of god, then that would not shake the truth of his teachings one iota.

it is foolishness and heirarchical thinking that makes people want to be one up from other people to feel better about themselves. This is why fun****etalists come across as stubborn and ignorant. Not because of what they believe, but because of why they believe it.

sanjuro_ronin
04-28-2008, 05:53 AM
Going back to the MA, I have noticed that many MA systems are based on, or have in their history, divine revelation.
Aikido being the most recent/notable.
The Tenshin Shoden katori Shinto ryu is another example.

NJM
04-28-2008, 06:30 AM
For instance, where King James says that he was born of a virgin, the original hebrew merely says "young girl",As in "he was born of a young girl".
While I don't find this implausible, I was under the impression we had no record of the gospels earlier than the greek version.

David Jamieson
04-28-2008, 06:37 AM
Going back to the MA, I have noticed that many MA systems are based on, or have in their history, divine revelation.
Aikido being the most recent/notable.
The Tenshin Shoden katori Shinto ryu is another example.

the starting point of almost every tradition can in one perspective be attributed to divine interference, revelation, etc.

It's the beginning afterall and what a wonderous thing that is!

sanjuro_ronin
04-28-2008, 06:52 AM
While I don't find this implausible, I was under the impression we had no record of the gospels earlier than the greek version.

The oldest one, if I recall, was about 70 years AD and it was in classical greek.

sanjuro_ronin
04-28-2008, 06:53 AM
the starting point of almost every tradition can in one perspective be attributed to divine interference, revelation, etc.

It's the beginning afterall and what a wonderous thing that is!

Actually, over the weekend I saw a cheesy movie called Gabriel, about the Arc-Angel Gabriel sent to take out the "fallen ones" in a city that represented
purgatory" and Gabriel knew MA, including knife work and gun work.
Divine inspiration indeed !!

jacksawild
04-28-2008, 12:54 PM
sorry you are wrong. He was considered a Rabbi. Not just a teacher. He was a jew and he was a rabbi in the jewish faith and he preached the Torah along with his radical taunts of the pharisees who he saw as a problem for the people.

Respectfully, I disagree. The modern meaning of rabbi and the meaning from that time is subtly different.

From wiki
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbi#Historical_overview

The governments of the kingdoms of Israel and the Judah were based on a system of Jewish kings, prophets, the legal authority of the court of the Sanhedrin and the ritual authority of priesthood. Members of the Sanhedrin all had to receive their semicha ("ordination" derived in an uninterrupted line of transmission from Moses) yet they were more frequently referred to as judges (dayanim) akin to the Shoftim or "Judges" as in the Book of Judges, rather than rabbis.

All of the above personalities would have been expected and assumed to be steeped in the wisdom of the Torah and the commandments, which would have made them - in modern language - “rabbis”. This is illustrated by an important two thousand year old teaching in Ethics of the Fathers (Pirkei Avot) of the Mishnah which cites King David by saying:

He who learns from his fellowman a single chapter, a single halakha, a single verse, a single Torah statement, or even a single letter, must treat him with honor. For so we find with David King of Israel, who learned nothing from Ahitophel except two things, yet called him his teacher (in Hebrew: rabbo meaning ‘his rabbi’), his guide, his intimate, as it is said: 'You are a man of my measure, my guide, my intimate' (Psalms 55:14). One can derive from this the following: If David King of Israel who learned nothing from Ahitophel except for two things, called him his teacher (i.e. rabbo -- his "rabbi"), his guide, his intimate, one who learns from his fellowman a single chapter, a single halakha, a single verse, a single statement, or even a single letter, how much more must he treat him with honor. And honor is due only for Torah, as it is said: 'The wise shall inherit honor' (Proverbs 3:35), 'and the perfect shall inherit good' (Proverbs 28:10). And only Torah is truly good, as it is said: 'I have given you a good teaching, do not forsake My Torah' (Psalms 128:2). (Ethics of the Fathers 6:3) With the destruction of the two Temples in Jerusalem, the end of the Jewish monarchy, and the decline of the dual instititutions of prophets and the priesthood, the focus of scholarly and spiritual leadership within the Jewish people shifted to the sages of the Men of the Great Assembly (Anshe Knesset HaGedolah). This assembly was composed by the earliest "rabbis" as we know them for the last two thousand years, in large part because they began the formulation and explication of what became known as Judaism's "Oral Law (Torah SheBe'al Peh). This was eventually encoded and codified within the Mishnah and Talmud and subsequent rabbinical scholarship, producing what is known as Rabbinic Judaism.

David Jamieson
04-28-2008, 06:19 PM
Wiki is definitely not a reliable source for things theological. In fact, I would rank it in scholastic value on the subject, somewhere around the value of this thread. lol.

If Yeshua Bar Joseph was not part of the priesthood, how is it that after he had his mitzvah he was allowed to debate and argue with the rabbinical group of his temple? If he was an average grunt, this would not be so.

be careful where you try to diminish. A rabbi is whole and apart from a regular teacher both in the here and now and then.

NJM
04-28-2008, 07:31 PM
The oldest one, if I recall, was about 70 years AD and it was in classical greek.

Then how can we know what "the original hebrew" text translated as if we don't have the original hebrew (if there was such a thing) of the gospels?

jacksawild
04-29-2008, 03:15 AM
Wiki is definitely not a reliable source for things theological. In fact, I would rank it in scholastic value on the subject, somewhere around the value of this thread. lol.

If Yeshua Bar Joseph was not part of the priesthood, how is it that after he had his mitzvah he was allowed to debate and argue with the rabbinical group of his temple? If he was an average grunt, this would not be so.

be careful where you try to diminish. A rabbi is whole and apart from a regular teacher both in the here and now and then.

Mark 6:
1: And he went out from thence, and came into his own country; and his disciples follow him.
2: And when the sabbath day was come, he began to teach in the synagogue: and many hearing him were astonished, saying, From whence hath this man these things? and what wisdom is this which is given unto him, that even such mighty works are wrought by his hands?
3: Is not this the carpenter, the son of Mary, the brother of James, and Joses, and of Juda, and Simon? and are not his sisters here with us? And they were offended at him.

Wiki is an excellent resource for finding that which is already known but as a sole source of research it has it's flaws.

If Jesus were an official rabbi he would have been under the jurisdiction of the temple and it would have been the temple officials who punished him for claiming to be God. The term rabbi in the time of Jesus did not necessarily refer to a specific office or occupation. That would be true only after the Temple in Jerusalem was destroyed (70 AD). Rather, it was a word meaning great one or my master which was applied to many kinds of people in everyday speech. It clearly was used as a term of respect for ones teacher as well even though the formal position of rabbi would come later. In one sense then, calling Jesus Rabbi is an anachronism. In another sense the use of this term for him by the people of his day is a measure of their great respect for him as a person and as a teacher and not just a reference to the activity of teaching he was engaged in.

The more you know....

sanjuro_ronin
04-29-2008, 04:28 AM
Then how can we know what "the original hebrew" text translated as if we don't have the original hebrew (if there was such a thing) of the gospels?

That is the question, isn't it?

NJM
04-29-2008, 06:16 AM
That is the question, isn't it?

The question is, how can someone on these forums claim to know what the original hebrew said?

sanjuro_ronin
04-29-2008, 06:20 AM
The question is, how can someone on these forums claim to know what the original hebrew said?

You weren't told about our time machine?

Scott R. Brown
04-29-2008, 08:27 AM
I am not interested in getting into the middle of this argument. Most of the comments here are terribly ill-informed.

The Old Testament was written in Hebrew. Some of the New Testament was written in Greek and some in Aramaic. It is known what the original Hebrew, Greek and Aramaic texts meant, or what the extant copies that are used to translate the Bible meant, because many of these manuscripts actually exist and the meaning of ancient Hebrew, Greek and Aramaic words are known.

There are individuals that spend their lives researching and studying these things. One of my buddy's father is a Hebrew and Aramaic scholar and has helped to translate the Bible into many different languages around the world. It is actually quite fascinating how they determine what the words and phrases actually meant and as with all things there are debates and disagreements as well.

Scott R. Brown
04-29-2008, 08:32 AM
If anyone is actually interested in learning what the actual texts say it is possible to get a copy of the Bible with numbered notes that correspond to a compendium of Greek and Hebrew words in a lexicon called Strong's Concordance.

It is also possible to get a direct word for word translation of the original Greek and Hebrew texts separately or along side a modern translation, not to mention the innumerable commentaries that are available.

sanjuro_ronin
04-29-2008, 08:36 AM
I am not interested in getting into the middle of this argument. Most of the comments here are terribly ill-informed.

The Old Testament was written in Hebrew. Some of the New Testament was written in Greek and some in Aramaic. It is known what the original Hebrew, Greek and Aramaic texts meant, or what the extant copies that are used to translate the Bible meant, because many of these manuscripts actually exist and the meaning of ancient Hebrew, Greek and Aramaic words are known.

There are individuals that spend their lives researching and studying these things. One of my buddy's father is a Hebrew and Aramaic scholar and has helped to translate the Bible into many different languages around the world. It is actually quite fascinating how they determine what the words and phrases actually meant and as with all things there are debates and disagreements as well.

You are quite correct, the Vatican library has quite a few.

If anyone is actually interested in learning what the actual texts say it is possible to get a copy of the Bible with numbered notes that correspond to a compendium of Greek and Hebrew words in a lexicon called Strong's Concordance.

It is also possible to get a direct word for word translation of the original Greek and Hebrew texts separately or along side a modern translation, not to mention the innumerable commentaries that are available.

I have the trilingual bible and it is very interesting to say the least.
The old testament being in Hebrew and english and the New in Greek and English
Side by side ( m ore or less).

Scott R. Brown
04-29-2008, 08:43 AM
I strongly recommend STRONG's Concordance if you are interested in what the words actually meant. The King James version has a lot of inaccuracies. The more modern translations of the Bible are much more accurate and many of them come with historical information to add context to the passages.

Scott R. Brown
04-29-2008, 08:46 AM
For example in Greek there are three different words that are translated in the Bible as Love.

Agape = Unconditional/Spiritual Love
Eros = Erotic Love
Philia = Brotherly Love

If one is reading a passage it is important to understand which Greek word was used in order to fully understand what the passage is meant to teach.

Lucas
04-29-2008, 01:46 PM
That must be why all the ladies be sayin: "dayum lucas I got me the Eros bad for you"

it all makes sense now...

NJM
04-29-2008, 06:50 PM
For example in Greek there are three different words that are translated in the Bible as Love.

Agape = Unconditional/Spiritual Love
Eros = Erotic Love
Philia = Brotherly Love

If one is reading a passage it is important to understand which Greek word was used in order to fully understand what the passage is meant to teach.

Four, weren't there?

Scott R. Brown
04-29-2008, 07:44 PM
Actually. there are at least 5, but as I recall there are only 3 used in the New Testament. If I am remembering incorrectly I would be interested to know in what passages the other ones may be found.

sanjuro_ronin
04-30-2008, 04:19 AM
I strongly recommend STRONG's Concordance if you are interested in what the words actually meant. The King James version has a lot of inaccuracies. The more modern translations of the Bible are much more accurate and many of them come with historical information to add context to the passages.

I will look that up, thank you.
The trilingual one is almost a literal translation form one language to another, sometimes not making grammatic sense for obvious reasons, I have actuallied looked up the hebrew characters (for example) and they are consistent through out the book.

NJM
04-30-2008, 06:50 AM
What's your opinion of Young's Literal Translation?

sanjuro_ronin
04-30-2008, 07:07 AM
It is not without its faults.
Even in literal translations, the translator has, naturally, biases and still has to pick which of the various meanings any given term means.

jacksawild
04-30-2008, 02:35 PM
What's your opinion of Young's Literal Translation?

It's hilarious.

NJM
04-30-2008, 04:34 PM
It's hilarious.
How so? Or are you just riding the trolly?

TaiChiBob
04-30-2008, 06:27 PM
Greetings..

It's interesting how folks end up debating so passionately about Christianity.. not so much about other religions.. it seems more like they are searching for validity or consensus, even when playing "devi'ls advocate".. the lifetimes devoted to translating and correlating data to arrive at the same conclusion, we just don't know.. there's so much conflicting "evidence", all of it hearsay, that it wouldn't even be heard as a legal arguement in a civil case..

Just choose your rbeliefs, and get on with living them..

Be well..

sanjuro_ronin
05-01-2008, 04:17 AM
Greetings..

It's interesting how folks end up debating so passionately about Christianity.. not so much about other religions.. it seems more like they are searching for validity or consensus, even when playing "devi'ls advocate".. the lifetimes devoted to translating and correlating data to arrive at the same conclusion, we just don't know.. there's so much conflicting "evidence", all of it hearsay, that it wouldn't even be heard as a legal arguement in a civil case..

Just choose your rbeliefs, and get on with living them..

Be well..

LOL, my muslim, jewish and buddhist friends would beg to differ.
You should see those guys go at it !
:eek:

David Jamieson
05-01-2008, 04:37 AM
Choosing your beliefs and getting on living with them has some inherent problems.

especially when those beliefs entail going out and spreading the word and making converts. lol.

so, Christians spread through evangelism and by telling people that there's is the only true and one way and that all other ways are an abomination of sorts. well, you can see the problem that would cause with Muslims and Jews.

Muslims believe there is only one god and that god is their god, Allah and if you do not follow the ways of the laws of Allah, then you are an infidel and are not one of the flock.

Jews believe they are the chosen ones and everyone else is a gentile. They also believe there is only one god and that god is theirs and it it the god who cannot be named, but for the sake of clarity, we shall call their god Yaweh, who is supposedly the father of the god who is part of the trinity within Christianity.

Buddhists don't have a god, although religious Buddhist attach Hindu deities to their world view and worship. they chant, pray and burn incense like catholics do, but focus on lesser gods when chanting and praying. Unless they are other types of Buddhists who do not do th dharma/sangha meeting thing and instead just choose to live their lives.

there are Hindus who have a very complex cosmology and it is easy to get lost in all the little tiny compartmentalized piece of it.

Hare Krishna's are sort fo a wing of Hinduism, like buddhism is it's child.

taoists seem to prefer hermit retreats, continue with their somewhat strange practices while hidden away from society in caves on mountain tops. fools on hills in the eyes of many. Taoism has made contributions of the highest level to herbalism and body knowledge though as has Hinduism.

Confucians don't really practice religion so much as they adhere to the tenets of Kung fu-tze. filial piety, ethics and morals rule their daily lives like an iron fist. life is regimented and not without meaning. very pragmatic approach to living. It's possible that Kung fu-tze was a scotsman in a former life. :p

So, except for the hare krishnas, there are your big 7 religions. take from them what you will.

sanjuro_ronin
05-01-2008, 04:50 AM
The of course, withing each major religion are its off-shots or divisions or "reforms".
Oi Vey !!
What a head ache !
In the end religion and MA have one major issue that is the bane of all arguments and that they both have in common - LINEAGE !!

TaiChiBob
05-01-2008, 05:19 AM
Greetings..

The point is this.. if converting is the call of your religion, go ahead.. if another belief-system rejects the conversion, move on.. "asked and answered", no harm, no foul.. if your religion sees others as infidels, so be it.. celebrate your own beliefs, leave others to theirs.. "Live and let live".. It is when we become so self-righteous that we insist that others believe what we do, that conflict emerges..

The great potential for humanity has been largely compromised by religious and ideological conflicts.. beneficial cooperation through tolerance is, logically, a more appropriate path than ideological conflicts.. the resources wasted by world governments to control aggression or to control others would very likely negate any reasoning for "control"..

The direction of this thread is indicative of the issue.. while we debate subtle differences or glaring contradictions of beliefs, we set the stage for divisive interaction.. we lose sight of humanity's tangible potential in favor of intangible ideologies..

Be well..

David Jamieson
05-01-2008, 05:37 AM
Greetings..

The point is this.. if converting is the call of your religion, go ahead.. if another belief-system rejects the conversion, move on.. "asked and answered", no harm, no foul.. if your religion sees others as infidels, so be it.. celebrate your own beliefs, leave others to theirs.. "Live and let live".. It is when we become so self-righteous that we insist that others believe what we do, that conflict emerges..

The great potential for humanity has been largely compromised by religious and ideological conflicts.. beneficial cooperation through tolerance is, logically, a more appropriate path than ideological conflicts.. the resources wasted by world governments to control aggression or to control others would very likely negate any reasoning for "control"..

The direction of this thread is indicative of the issue.. while we debate subtle differences or glaring contradictions of beliefs, we set the stage for divisive interaction.. we lose sight of humanity's tangible potential in favor of intangible ideologies..

Be well..

Bob-

Human survival is dependent on conflict. It is a constant in history and it does many things for us as a species. These things are mechanisms of fulfillment in my view.

we war, we intermingle, we spread disease and death amongst ourselves so that only the strongest of us will rise to the top and maintain the whole.

In a very ultimate sense of course. Not in a day to day sense.

war culls us and forces us forward in our thinking and technology. Through our hate and killing, we actually wind up improved and progressing.

I don't think people like to discuss the positive aspects of killing off humans, butr there are positives.

I think this is perhaps why so many who see the world in black and white terms also see the ends justified by the means.

it is not in our nature to just let go of a thing. We are incessant in our need to stand above. It is not in our nature to let the unknown just be.

If we were to all become mushroom sitters and ponderers, our entire species would be lost to lack of progress, lack of diversity.

the tree that doesn't bend in the winds, doesn't grow.

TaiChiBob
05-01-2008, 06:01 AM
Greetings..

Hi David: I largely agree with your assessment.. but, i sense that there are plenty of natural reasons for humanity to resort to conflict without resorting to contrived ideolgies.. famine, over-population of a region, resource hoarding.. Still, though, i am inclined to believe that the human animal hasn't evolved sufficiently to rely on its informed understanding of the processes to release its dependency on conflict to shape its future.. i believe it can be done, though..

so that only the strongest of us will rise to the top and maintain the whole.
Ultimately, "survival of the fittest" leaves one man (or woman) standing.. the challenge is self-perpetuating destruction..

the tree that doesn't bend in the winds, doesn't grow.
That "bending" is tolerance..

Be well..

David Jamieson
05-01-2008, 06:29 PM
Greetings..

Hi David: I largely agree with your assessment.. but, i sense that there are plenty of natural reasons for humanity to resort to conflict without resorting to contrived ideolgies.. famine, over-population of a region, resource hoarding.. Still, though, i am inclined to believe that the human animal hasn't evolved sufficiently to rely on its informed understanding of the processes to release its dependency on conflict to shape its future.. i believe it can be done, though..

Ultimately, "survival of the fittest" leaves one man (or woman) standing.. the challenge is self-perpetuating destruction..

That "bending" is tolerance..

Be well..

or bending can be just the way it is that we have to accept in order to continue growing. we have to bend. Tolerance is moot, we must accept and even if we don't we bend, or we die. :)

Your first point speaks to the starkness of the reality of existence.

when there is plenty enough, we don't think much about survival.
when we have no ways and means, we can steal or beg or depend on charity.
when there is nothing for anyone, we will kill and eat each other.

to prevent being eaten, one must eat first!

logic will always boil down to boiling down humans.

TaiChiBob
05-02-2008, 04:15 AM
Greetings..

logic will always boil down to boiling down humans.
Respectfully, i disagree.. in that scenario, the food supply will exhaust itself.. working as a group humanity can better mitigate almost any situation.. sure, you can devise many scenarios where the option is eat or be eaten, but.. that option can almost always be mitigated by group cooperation.. with the exception of cases of extreme isolation or extreme circumstances, or issues of conceptual malfunctions, humans will opt for something more preferable than that..

I think the "survival of the fittest" line of reasoning is more appropriately applied to the group interactions.. where the fittest is determined by those better able to co-exist.. those seeking domination set themselves up as targets for aliances of the groups they would dominate..

Early in human history, the alpha males would hoard the females.. the excluded males formed aliances and set the stage the current system of marriage, a redistribution of "wealth".. an example of the fittest being controlled by the aliances..

Be well..

TaiChiBob
05-02-2008, 04:22 AM
Greetings..

Ooh, ooh.. i remembered what i forgot in the last post..

Tolerance is moot, we must accept and even if we don't we bend, or we die.
Accepting something we don't agree with.. is called tolerance.. even if it is under threat of termination.. Intolerance is evidenced by martyrs and such, those that would sacrifice their existence to make an example of their intolerance..

Be well..

Scott R. Brown
05-02-2008, 07:55 AM
The history of early man and Anthropological studies demonstrate that Bob's view is actually the accurate since his comments reflect man's early rise to civilization. Man's preeminent qualities are cooperation, as it is with all mammalians, and adaptability.

Man has adapted to every possible habitat available, above water, on the planet and has been successful because we live cooperatively in groups. Group cooperation is the most success method of survival or it would not be as universal as it is.