Originally posted by germpest
wondering what they represent in the art itself. Like leverages, punches, kicks, throws,etc. What does Choy have in it, etc.
All the characteristics of CLF can be seen in the two beginners forms, Ng Lun Ma and Ng Lun Chui and I have been told San Soo has something similar.

We fight our oponents side on and turn our waist and body (Da Bok and Sei Bok) all the time whether slid back to retreat or charge forward to attack. We use fluid body movements, footworks follows handwork and vise versa, continuous and rolling all the time while hiding our center line from our opponents and attack them from unexpected angles (my favourite is Chair Sun Dat Chui or spinning back fist), high followed by low, left followed by right, punches followed by kicking, retreat followed by attack and straight line followed by curves swing, etc.

We start our san soo combo with a minimun 3 moves building up to 10 or more non-stop and never let our opponents have a break once we start. Even at the basic level we have traps, leverage and throw (Chil Seo Dan Lan and Kow Tan for example).

We have got everything (Chin-na, ground fighting, wooden dummies, the 18 weapons, qigong, TCM and lion dance etc. etc) except the fancy moves but the traditional stuff still look quite nice when done well and we can win forms competition and San Da without any drastic modifications. We look and feel more like northern plus Hung Ga rather than SPM and the Hakka styles.

CLFNole,

Lee Yau San is considered by some to be the founder of Lee Ga but there are also other lines as well like you said, there are still people practice Lee Ga in China. Parts of it look very CLF.

I am glad people are starting to get the idea that the name CLF represented past masters and not family styles. Fut is not Fut Ga, it represented Chan Yuan Wu and the Shaolin Temple. Some people say Chan Yuan Wu is the founder of Fut Ga but there are also others with different lineage.

Like Hung Ga (MA came from Hung Mun) Fut Ga started off as a generic term for MA came from the Buddhist Temples, later it grew into a style because of famous pratitioners making a name for themselves.