Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pouring TEA for sifu?

Pouring TEA for sifu?

I've heard about how students become disciples of sifus and would have to pour tea.

How does this go? Just get some herbal tea for both persons, bow to the sifu and drink?

Cool The Disciple of Many!

Ask Roger Hagood.

www.bambootemple.com

He has had sooooooo many Sifus!

TEA CERAMONY

Usually you pour 3 cups of tea. my bai shee ceramony was 3 cups of tea and other things involved as in pouring the tea across the ground to the earth god/deity, to your altar and your sifu. some style do things different. Also the sifu would do other things as in lay his hands on your head and make you do a oath type of deal. Well this is what happened to me!

FT

Im always pouring tea for my sifu, he darn well drinks a LOT.
    Its all about keeping the cup full and not lettting it go cold, im such a good tea boy. When you get really skilled you can portion out the tea without having none left for yourself - you get last serving
    Infact the sign of true skill is fast one handed pouring - without any spilling, when you get that down you know your ready for bigger and better things. Like chopsticks picking up single rice grains and stuff.

Sorry im just being a moron

PS
    LOL at bong
    Up and down, forward and backward, left and right, its all the same. All of this is done with the mind, not externaly.
    ------------------------------------
    Shaped dragon and looking monkey, sitting tiger and turning eagle.

"I wonder how they would do against jon's no-tension fu. I bet they'd do REALLY WELL."
    - Huang Kai Vun

HANG ON!!!
    what about the incense guys??? comn if its a chinese traditional ceremony its got to have some sort of incense part to it.

and u bow to Bro Gwan - wait ...i think thats for something else

anyway i still think there is an incense part to it too. but i'm not sure who u do the bow to i think its mayb sijo? founder?

hmmm...

In our tea ceremony the head of the school, burnt incense, and placed offerings on a altar with a photograph of his Sifu, and then Kow tow 'ed 3 times. We then offered oranges to our own instructors (oranges=gold/money) and made our promise and then poured a bowl of tea, half turned the bowl, and presented it. Our sifu then takes a sip to let you know that he accepts you as a student.

Wink Our club had a different ritual

Many years ago when I was a teen there was no tea in our ceremony, basically several of us had to cut our hands let the blood drop into a bowl of Chinese wine, incense was burnt & vows spoken (in my teacher's village dialect - to this day not sure what was said). Afterwards we went to several shops in Chinatown and stood by as our teacher collected money packets from rather unhappy looking shop keepers. Different rituals for different clubs I guess!

How was it back in the day? I'm talking about a few generations ago when it was hardcore and onlyl a few students practicing in a ghetto room filled with spider webs and weapons.

Any stories from the legends?

You should always pour tea...

Pouring tea is a respect thing - disciple ritual or not. I've seen Sifu's fight over who has control of the tea pot (it's like those cartoon chipmunks trying to out-polite each other "after you" "no after you".)

I served as an intermediary for a disciple ritual were tea was poured. It's very similar to the marriage tea pouring ritual. My own disciple ritual was taking Buddhist vows, so we bowed to Buddha, Kwan Yin, then my master. No tea at the actual ritual, but lots of it at the following banquet (also part of the ritual.)

Much of kungfu is based on folk rituals so there is a lot of variation from school to school.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

bai-si?

hi gene you seem closer to home with the tea ceromony,but can i ask this question?

who is "Kwan Yin" in relation to buddha and your si-fu?

p.s jon,i thought your si-fu would pour your tea?as your father is so rich and he needs the cash to pay for dinner?hahahahaha
    or does he buy the tea[your father that is?]lol
    Last edited by Sui; 09-10-2002 at 04:57 PM.

When I did it, we each held an incense stick and had to put the stick in the urn on the altar. We each then poured 3 cups of tea - one went to sifu, and one each to two nominated senior students (if sifu was at home, the tea was offered to his wife as well). Then sifu did some Buddhist chants and prayed for you, placed his hand on your head, got you up and showed you a special set that was your 'disciple set'. Everyone learned a different set.

BTW - to the person who asked, Kuan Yin is the Goddess of Mercy and is highly revered by many Chan Buddhists, particularly in the South.
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

12. sui...

Last edited by Lice; 09-10-2002 at 05:44 PM.

BTW i didn't ask who she was,read it again,it be clearer the next time

lice how lousey,try to see not roll hahahaha

Sui

How have you been my fine feathered friend?
    I hope all is well and sundry?

"jon,i thought your si-fu would pour your tea?"
    * Honestly, sometimes he does. My sifu is a very humble man.

"as your father is so rich and he needs the cash to pay for dinner?"
    * Oh yes my family is so rich i actualy got daddy to pay so as to have sifu flown over from China. Infact my whole tuition is based around a pay per move style of learning.

Did you not learn your 'art' from your father? Im guessing that must have been tricky? Do you ever wonder if you got a full transmission (manual or auto)? Do you have any siblings? How do there hands compare with yours?

"does he buy the tea[your father that is?]"
    * My dad likes to buy his own tea, he is rather English you see. I think its something in his blood. Still he more a coffee drinker these days, and one hell of a cook

Come now sui i expected better from you, i would have thought you would know you may need more than misdirected spite.
    Nevermind i may be in YOUR neck of the woods one day, maybe we could go out for 'cha'?
    Up and down, forward and backward, left and right, its all the same. All of this is done with the mind, not externaly.
    ------------------------------------
    Shaped dragon and looking monkey, sitting tiger and turning eagle.

"I wonder how they would do against jon's no-tension fu. I bet they'd do REALLY WELL."
    - Huang Kai Vun

15. Originally posted by Sui
    BTW i didn't ask who she was,read it again,it be clearer the next time

lice how lousey,try to see not roll hahahaha
    Sui,

Can you just keep your petty shit to their relevant threads (or better yet, private) and keep them out of perfectly good threads? Participate, by all means, but keep it civil and on topic.