Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: david lee roth and kung fu - the shame!

david lee roth and kung fu - the shame!

DLR: "I started working on my sword routine months and months ago. It's something that people spend years working on, it's part of the Northern Chinese kung fu style called Pekkwar. It's a very aggressive martial art.
    Anybody can spin a blade around, like in a figure eight, but it's had to make it actually appear as if it's an extension of your arm and to utilize it with the proper balance, the proper breathing, the proper emotional content. You can make 20 thousand people really feel it when you flip that thing around - provided you know what you're doing. If you don't then your elbows and your knees are going to hear about it."

Great Grand Master Sifu Diamond David Lee Roth ROCKS!! He could take those broken wings off that Mr. Mister guy any day!!

DLR rules! He was a student of Paulie Zink. He had a black belt in karate also I do believe. Possibly kickboxing. Last I read, he said that he was working out 6 days a week with the Gracies. The interview in which he said this was from the late nineties, so I don't know if that still holds true. He'd kick Sammy Hagar's azz!
    "We'll show him.....Chinese Boxing!"

When I signed up for the marine corp my recruiter actualy used the fact that Mr Roth was a marine as well. I of course explained to him that I hated Van Halen ( I know Hate is a strong word but I am a strong man.), so then he mentioned Montel Williams was a marine as well.

DLR was never a Marine. He trained with Ed Parker when he as younger and Ed was alive.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

I thought that whole Marine thing sounded a little suspect. I had never heard it mentioned in any of his biographies. You're right, Rogue. I couldn't remember if it was karate or kickboxing. I do recall reading that he got a black belt under Mr. Parker in addition to his kung fu studies with Mr. Zink. I've seen him on tv recently performing. He's still got his moves. Van Halen sux without him.
    "We'll show him.....Chinese Boxing!"

"DLR was never a Marine"

DOI!!!! I know he was never a marine but for some reason my recruiter thought teling me that would get me in faster. Of course he apparently wasn;t there when I walked into the recruiting office and said "sign me up, no bull**** I wanna go"

I like the older VH. They Rocked.

I also saw that Ed O'Neil, the guy Al Bundy from Married With Children.
    He trains with the Gracies and I think he has been training for over 7 years.

I saw a special on E.S.P.N. about it.
    I couldn't hear it, it was on at a very loud night club.
    Last edited by logic; 02-07-2003 at 04:13 PM.
    Honest Neutral Clarity

David Lee Roth may not have been a marine, but John Coltrane was in the Navy. And his records don't make me wish he had never been born, too.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

Originally posted by red5angel
    I know he was never a marine but for some reason my recruiter thought teling me that would get me in faster.
    No! A Marine Corps recruiter lied to you!? I can't believe that ! And just to get you to sign up, too!

Go ahead jump!

I think it was in the video for Jump, Roth does a tornado kick and swings a broadsword. It's obvious there that he's had some training.

I once worked the pit (front of stage) for Van Halen with Hagar. It was amusing. Lots of bimbos, but probably not near as many as there were during Dave's watch.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

If anybody is a DLR or classic VH fan check out Diamond Daves CD under the DLR Band. It isn't VH or Eat em and Smile but it's got some nice stuff on it.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

It was Ted Nugent that was in the marines. Or so I heard.

What about Alice Cooper and Tiny Tim?

Word, VH ROXXX!!!!!!...

dont yall feel enlightened now that i have pontificated "yall ever use words hoping they correct ."